Challenge to all Old School Gamers

Tuffteach

After reading all of these old school posts about people, myself included, who sometimes wish MMO's were the same as the were in the old days like EQ and Lineage 2, I have a challenge.

Lineage 2 is now F2P and they have started a new server with no server transfers allowed. Start an account and play for a while. See if it lives up to your memories. I am doing that and DLing it right now.

I really like SWTOR and I am keeping my sub open and even playing. I will do both.

Come back here and honestly relate your feelings and ideas about how games have changed.

It's funny how each age group defines "old school". To me, those games you mention were last week and "old school" multiplayer games have names like "Empire" (a Star Trek simulator for the PLATO system in the 70s and 80s), Netrek, MUD/MUSH, Tradewars, Legend of the Red Dragon and a few others.

I guess I can't think of any MMO as "old school" because they're all still pretty much brand-new in the scope of computer gaming, and in their barest infancy in the scope of modern gaming in general.

After reading all of these old school posts about people, myself included, who sometimes wish MMO's were the same as the were in the old days like EQ and Lineage 2, I have a challenge.

Lineage 2 is now F2P and they have started a new server with no server transfers allowed. Start an account and play for a while. See if it lives up to your memories. I am doing that and DLing it right now.

I really like SWTOR and I am keeping my sub open and even playing. I will do both.

Come back here and honestly relate your feelings and ideas about how games have changed.

I play on an EQ server that runs the game based on the 1999 release. I know what I remember, and I do prefer it. That said, SWTOR is not EQ, and I recognize that. While they are both MMOs, they exist separate in my mind (similar to say TF2 vs. CoD).

I play on an EQ server that runs the game based on the 1999 release. I know what I remember, and I do prefer it. That said, SWTOR is not EQ, and I recognize that. While they are both MMOs, they exist separate in my mind (similar to say TF2 vs. CoD).

All games from the 1990's are grinders, Asian or not. If you follow the posts people have been talking about earning gear and working to level.

It's funny how each age group defines "old school". To me, those games you mention were last week and "old school" multiplayer games have names like "Empire" (a Star Trek simulator for the PLATO system in the 70s and 80s), Netrek, MUD/MUSH, Tradewars, Legend of the Red Dragon and a few others.

I guess I can't think of any MMO as "old school" because they're all still pretty much brand-new in the scope of computer gaming, and in their barest infancy in the scope of modern gaming in general.

I consider anything that was out before WoW to be old school. WoW changed everything into carebear land to make appeal to a large audience.

I just wish i had the same immersion and connection with my character like i had in FFXI with new MMOs. I tried FFXIV for two years but it just didn't do it for me.

I'm not having a bad time on SWTOR though, really enjoying the story and the people i've met (So far), but i'm hoping a MMO comes along that will capture my heart like FFXI did.

But sometimes Nostalgia makes things seem better than they actually are