Sentinels and the Force

StealthParanoia

When I started playing this game, I knew I wanted to start as a Jedi. I knew that Consulars focussed on using the Force, and the Jedi Knights focussed on melee combat. So I thought to myself: I also know that Sentinels are balanced between the use of melee and Force combat. So I went for Sentinel the first chance I got.

However, as fun as the Sentinel is, I am a bit disappointed by the lack of Force abilities I get to use. For example "Force Push" seems to be a Jedi Guardian ability, when their MAIN focus is melee canonically. Also, about Force Push, maybe they could change that as a general Force-user ability (Knight, Consular, Warrior and Inquisitor) as it's pretty basic for any Force-wielder.

So yeah, this is just a tiny little rambling about why I'm a tad disappointed about not being able to use the Force as much as I would've liked on my Sentinel, but nothing's perfect :)

~Finchyy

We have plenty of Force-y abilities

Force Leap

Force Stasis

Saber Ward

Rebuke

Guided by the Force

Dispatch

Blade Storm

Force Sweep

Disable Droid

Force Exhaustion(if you spec it)

Zealous Leap(again if you spec it)

i think he means he was looking for visual effect heavy force abilities.

which if thats what he wants there is only 1 class that has the mix of melee and force abilities hes wanting.

thats the shadow/assassin.

We have plenty of Force-y abilities

Force Leap

Force Stasis

Saber Ward

Rebuke

Guided by the Force

Dispatch

Blade Storm

Force Sweep

Disable Droid

Force Exhaustion(if you spec it)

Zealous Leap(again if you spec it)

Over half of those are Jedi Knight abilities, not Sentinel. But I meant more offensive abilities.

And that other guy is right, the Shadow tends to be the one with the best Force and Melee mixture, but they're not Sentinels >:(

Force push should be a jedi ability not a class ability

What jedi doesnt push things around? aparently only the sentinels

I know, right?!

"Oh look, Kan. There's Darth Malgus sitting on the edge of a cliff. Quick, push him off before he notices us!"

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm a Sentinel, you do it!"

"I can't, I'm just a companion character!"

"Well.. fudge. Ah well." *Force Leap*

>.>

I said this b4 in some other threads, but I'll say it again....

Just give our "Blade storm" a 6m KB; since it's a 1v1 ability, it won't be OverPowering... otherwise, ppl will be QQ-ing! It will also encourage us to use crippling throw/ dispatch, since it's within the distance.

Edited by pangwl

So I thought to myself: I also know that Sentinels are balanced between the use of melee and Force combat.

In the time of the original KOTOR they were, but the order has been almost completely destroyed and rebuilt since then. Now, jedi holding the title or rank or whatever of "sentinel" focus more on lightsaber combat than any other.

From what I've heard a focus Gaurdian is more balanced in terms of melee and force attacks. Not as much as shadow but a fair amount. That's probably the build I will be taking, going for a movie-jedi kind of playstyle.

When I started playing this game, I knew I wanted to start as a Jedi. I knew that Consulars focussed on using the Force, and the Jedi Knights focussed on melee combat. So I thought to myself: I also know that Sentinels are balanced between the use of melee and Force combat.

Where did you get this idea? From KOTOR?

KOTOR did have a duality between Consular/Guardian with Sentinel "in between". Consular was spellcaster, Guardian Melee, Sentinel stealth/skills/hybrid.

In none of the text on the website or in-game descriptions, either at character creation OR advanced class selection is "Jedi Sentinel" described as "balanced between the use of melee and Force combat."

Knights in general are meleers...Sentinels in particular are dual-blade whirlwinds who have mastered advanced combat techniques at the cost of mystical force powers.

The role that you describe, hybridizing melee and Force powers, though comparable to the Yellow-Bladed "Sentinel" of KOTOR is now a Jedi Shadow in SWTOR.

• 2 weeks later...
Nerd Alert:

In the E-U one of the Jedi's did not have the power of Telekinesis (the power to move objects via the force)

Honest though. Sentinels feel really squishy to be..at about lvl 28-30 around alderaan.

actually he did........if he absorbed enough energy. otherwise he had problems moving a pebble.

but i see what your going for there. there are all sorts of force users......some better at mind and thought manipulation.......others are better at physical use of the force. some excel with energy absorption and manipulation.

force users were not created equal.

When I started playing this game, I knew I wanted to start as a Jedi. I knew that Consulars focussed on using the Force, and the Jedi Knights focussed on melee combat. So I thought to myself: I also know that Sentinels are balanced between the use of melee and Force combat. So I went for Sentinel the first chance I got.

However, as fun as the Sentinel is, I am a bit disappointed by the lack of Force abilities I get to use. For example "Force Push" seems to be a Jedi Guardian ability, when their MAIN focus is melee canonically. Also, about Force Push, maybe they could change that as a general Force-user ability (Knight, Consular, Warrior and Inquisitor) as it's pretty basic for any Force-wielder.

So yeah, this is just a tiny little rambling about why I'm a tad disappointed about not being able to use the Force as much as I would've liked on my Sentinel, but nothing's perfect :)

~Finchyy

Should've read what the game actually said about sentinels instead of expecting it to be the same as KotOR