The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

'Heavy' Servers still = a small population

Kirjava

Oh I wish I was on a server marked as heavy... Welcome to the life on a standard server, Tassaa Bareesh (Imperial), where you never see sharding nor a triple-digit number of players. I went around a bit and these were the numbers at the moment (which I would like to think is primetime).

Dromund Kaas: 75

Balmorra: 52

Imperial Fleet: 38

Nar Shaddaa: 27

Hutta: 25

Tatooine; 14

Alderaan: 14

Taris: 12

Voss: 10

Belsavis: 6

Ilum: 5

Corellia: 4

With this few people it's occasionally impossible to get FP groups, and the GTN seems to be mostly empty... I hope BW lets us transfer servers soon.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I wish I was on a server marked as heavy... Welcome to the life on a standard server, Tassaa Bareesh (Imperial), where you never see sharding nor a triple-digit number of players. I went around a bit and these were the numbers at the moment (which I would like to think is primetime).

Primetime where?

I agree with OP.

I fact, there has been many threads popping up about these kinds of issues. How the world feels dead, too much sharding, not seeing players, etc

My server is THE HEAVIEST pop server in the west coast, Infinite Empire, and i do not see many people around. Last time i logged in 4 days ago, on vacation atm overseas, there were 70 players max in Taris during PEAK hours.

The lower level planets usually hover at ~100. If you Biodrones want to argue that they are all in the fleet...then i got news for you. During peak hours, the max players i have seen is ~170 players.

..how many players do you think are actually doing heroics and in their ships?? lets just go with a ~200 which is a really high number already.

Like a very intelligent poster here mentioned. The game CANNOT handle too many players at once. Its actually a miracle that there is even PvP...and its also why PvP also lags so damn much.

The game was created with heavy instancing because it was a design choice by BW due to picking the crappiest engine ever to create their game with. As to why they couldnt just license the unreal engine, which is one of the most popular out there..i have no clue.

I enjoy the game as what it is, a single player game with coop.

Edited by Notannos
community bashing

Flaws in your thinking

• The average concurrent connections is 350k as of 2 weeks ago - I expect this has gone up now
  • The server distribution is timestretched - i.e. more users will be on in Europe and less in US at this time of day
  • Varying server pops vary - Who'd have thunked it???

I would suggest that on a Full server right now there are probably upwards of 6000 players, 3000 on each side, based on what I have seen travelling across my server.

But you see, there is one server that is consistently full (The Swiftsure), and a few others that get into the very heavy-full regime (The Fatman, The Harbinger and about 5 others. That leaves over 240 other servers that are not even close to full. The majority of the population is spread thinly across those 240+ OTHER servers that don't even break standard during peak times on a weekend.

Sharding - this means when a population on one planet gets to a certain point, a second version of that planet is made. Which means planets on each server are restricted to somewhere between 150-200 players, and then they put any new people arriving to the planet in a second version of it.

./whoosh

But you see, there is one server that is consistently full (The Swiftsure), and a few others that get into the very heavy-full regime (The Fatman, The Harbinger and about 5 others. That leaves over 240 other servers that are not even close to full. The majority of the population is spread thinly across those 240+ OTHER servers that don't even break standard during peak times on a weekend.

There was over a page of west coast servers at a heavy pop last night so not sure what you are talking about. More at heavy than standard. This wasn't even the weekend.

I've been keeping track of them for our guild so we can find a good server for our sith alts.

Edited by TheHeadCapper

these stats have to be wrong. 1k people on 1 faction? so 2k people per server? no wonder this game feels dead. Ive seen livier single player games.

They are wrong, Between the newb planet and rep fleet there was 400 people on my server last night in those 2 areas alone.

Edited by TheHeadCapper

these stats have to be wrong. 1k people on 1 faction? so 2k people per server? no wonder this game feels dead. Ive seen livier single player games.

they are wrong, those are numbers that are simply pulled out of ones butt since nothing offical has been said about population numbers.

There are 251 servers with around 300,000 concurrent players. This equals an average of 1200 online on each server. That's essentially 600 players per faction. Generally half of this population is either on the fleet or drommund Kaas on my server. Meaning there's about 300 people spread across the 7 other worlds, PvP, flashpoints.

Not only are server populations tiny at the moment, but the use of sharding on planets is bewildering. Most planets are bigger than zones you find in MMO's that don't use sharding.

We get these massive beautifully realized worlds, with absolutely no one populating them. They need to increase population and get rid of sharding.

And what happens after the player base stabilizes exactly? Are they going to waste time and energy after the mandatory one month drop off? Doing it yet again?

Also where are you getting your numbers?

Edited by Avrose

And what happens after the player base stabilizes exactly? Are they going to waste time and energy after the mandatory one month drop off? Doing it yet again?

Also where are you getting your numbers?

basic math

300,000 has been stated many times (although it was a winter number, probably false now)

The amount of servers as well (and can just go count them)

theres 2 factions.

Do you know what an average is?

Funny i was in the republic fleet last night 200+ people, i was on the newb planet which still had over 180 people. 2 places at 380, pretty sure your math is way off.

Pretty sure your a little off personally. If there were 200+ in the fleet that would mean there were roughly 900+ imp running around somewhere in thier base area. That is 1200 people right there... not counting all the other planets.

If we are assuming 1200 people is max - this doesn't work out at all.

One thing I am sure of is that there are WAY more imps than reps... agian I am at work so I dont have the link handy - but my searching tells me the ratio between imps and reps is around 5:1...

basic math

300,000 has been stated many times (although it was a winter number, probably false now)

theres 2 factions.

it was a false number to begin with, for one the number was 350,000 and two it was a number that came out of a analyst's butt in the UK that has nothing to do with BW or EA. The number was purely speculation not official.

Pretty sure your a little off personally. If there were 200+ in the fleet that would mean there were roughly 900+ imp running around somewhere in thier base area. That is 1200 people right there... not counting all the other planets.

If we are assuming 1200 people is max - this doesn't work out at all.

One thing I am sure of is that there are WAY more imps than reps... agian I am at work so I dont have the link handy - but my searching tells me the ratio between imps and reps is around 5:1...

I think fleet was somewhere around 150 imperials and 40 repubs on my server at peak.

The numbers across the board are still as dismal and pathetic as the maps they make us travel through though.

The game does feel dead at high levels, especially in the larger open worlds like Hoth, Voss, etc.

You can easily quest for an hour without seeing another person. Also, the ****** draw distance that the graphics engine provides doesn't help with this. The game feels really empty.

basic math

theres 2 factions.

But you don't know at what time they measured, they said 350.000 concurrent players at one point. It can have been either at US primetime or at EU primetime, so still it says nothing about the numbers that fit actually on server. If I read the messages no one can give an accurate number.