The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Already Lost my Video Cards, Game Runs Hot

iphonemilk

Just recently had to replace my 2 6870's.

Recently just bought 2 new 6970's.

**Btw my 6870's have been working PERFECTLY until this game came out**

I'd say maybe 2 weeks into playing SWTOR? My cards died...

Now i'm on my new 6970's and I notice the fans on them are SPIKING up sometimes, probably because THOSE AS WELL are getting hot.

Going to have to take the other posters advice and LIMIT my FPS now.. and do some other regulatory measure to make sure my cards don't die.. or just quit playing.

Bioware are you reading this? Your GAME IS DESTROYING HARDWARE.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Now i'm on my new 6970's and I notice the fans on them are SPIKING up sometimes, probably because THOSE AS WELL are getting hot.

Going to have to take the other posters advice and LIMIT my FPS now.. and do some other regulatory measure to make sure my cards don't die.. or just quit playing.

Either you live in a Africa or you are full of crap, cards are safe up to a pretty high temperature and this game doesn't run the cards THAT hot.

Sorry but amongst all the different claims for this game, this has got to be the most stupid one I have seen. Two high end cards failing at the same time? Nah brah.

I'm running my game on a laptop (and no, I'm not going to stop doing that) and the game does run very hot. I've never had any problems with any other games. The computer has literally just died several times due to heating issues -- better that than fried hardware I suppose.

As long as I keep my laptop... well.... not in my lap, things tend to work.

Interesting... I don't seem to have this problem on my own computer. I will run this game tonight with a app that tells me the temperature of my gfx to see what's up.

Does help that I live in Quebec and it's currently Winter...

My rig also runs like a portable radiator when playing TOR, didn't have on WoW or Skyrim or BF3 in recent months.

I regularly have the window open in my 5th floor apartment(windy!) to extend the time I can play before I feel uncomfortable with my rig running hot and turn it off.

Either you live in a Africa or you are full of crap, cards are safe up to a pretty high temperature and this game doesn't run the cards THAT hot.

Sorry but amongst all the different claims for this game, this has got to be the most stupid one I have seen. Two high end cards failing at the same time? Nah brah.

There are more than enough people who can advocate that this game does run hot. Should it fry the hardware? Of course not. There are always safeguards against that. But when games run Skyrim and the latest MW and BF-titles just fine, but not TOR, then something is slightly amiss.

It's not stupid, it's fact, but of course you should always make sure that your computer is properly cooled when running anything on it.

I'm running my game on a laptop (and no, I'm not going to stop doing that) and the game does run very hot. I've never had any problems with any other games. The computer has literally just died several times due to heating issues -- better that than fried hardware I suppose.

your kidding right

laptops for sweet F all for airflow and your crying that it over heats

a laptop runs hot even without running a game

Laptops run hot just playing seek and find games. It's to be expected.

To be fair laptops aren't designed for gaming (unless you have an alienware or something), they are designed to maximise space which is always bad from a graphics card perspective, so you can't really blame the game - maybe get a laptop cooling pad or something, but that doesn't avoid the fact it's just not intended to get good airflow.

And OP - maybe you need to look at your setup instead of the game, mine runs perfectly within normal temps, but then again i have a nice spacious case with good airflow, maybe you're doing something wrong.

your kidding right

laptops for sweet F all for airflow and your crying that it over heats

a laptop runs hot even without running a game

Don't talk rubbish, perhaps you'd have been correct years ago. Laptops these days have excellent airflow.

Game peaks my GPU at around 70 deg C. I have several other graphic intensive games that run it hotter. Make sure you have enough air flow for your case and if need be open the side of it. I always keep my case open b/c a little more fan noise is better than a heat damaged video card imo.

This.

Try MSI Afterburner or similar tool. They help alot.

Not even that hard, op is uisng ATI cards, all he has to do is open up ATI overdrive by tight clicking on the desktop then set fan speeds from there for the cards.

Ever fan in my PC is set to a manually selected fan speed, my 5870 HAS NEVER, EVER went past 50C unless I was playing crysis.

But I also have a lot of case fans. Three 120MM fans, the 120MM fan on the cpu cooler and a 240MM top mounted case fan.

Also, cleaning out dust and applying new/fresh paste could have prevented high temeps.

TOR did not magically cause two cards to fail unless those cards constantly ran hot.

Running two cards with little to no airflow can cause that, honestly is there even a need for more than one card unless you are running more than one screen?

Edited, spelling.

Edited by titanmike

Don't talk rubbish, perhaps you'd have been correct years ago. Laptops these days have excellent airflow.

They have acceptable airflow, that doesn't change the fact that the components are packed tightly together, my last PC upgrade went from a small form factor PC to tower. With the exact same components my CPU temp dropped 20c, purely because of extra space for circulation.

LISTEN TO ME.

YOU MUST INSTALL A 3RD PARTY FAN CONTROL SOFTWARE.

eVGA Precision or RIVA Tuner.

If you do not, you will fry your machine! Default fan controls are garbage. If you ever hear your cards go from quiet to 100% fan speed for a few seconds, then drop back down, chances are your cards are at 100c or higher. Learn from this.

LISTEN TO ME.

YOU MUST INSTALL A 3RD PARTY FAN CONTROL SOFTWARE.

eVGA Precision or RIVA Tuner.

If you do not, you will fry your machine! Default fan controls are garbage. If you ever hear your cards go from quiet to 100% fan speed for a few seconds, then drop back down, chances are your cards are at 100c or higher. Learn from this.

Not even needed, the ATI cards come with ATI overdrive. Its as easy as right clicking on the desktop and then going into ATI overdrive and selecting manual fan control.

Then set it to 60 or 65% and play all day every day with a nice cool card(s) because you have constant air flow and not up, down, up, down of the normal automatic fan control.

Make sure you clean the dust every now and then, and maybe you could reapply some nice thermal paste yearly?