Order 66

TheLaggyOne

I liked that scene too. Contrary to popular ideas, I like the prequels. Yeah they could have been better, yet since I'm a minimalist and a perfectionist, I'm quite happy that I've been able to experience the world that is Star Wars. My favorite line in EP 3 is

"YOU WILL NOT TAKE HER FROM ME!"

I think the acting is fine...

and the musical score "Across the Stars" is really, REALLY good.

Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings are my favorite "fictional" universes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xP3fI7yn5s&feature=related

As for his fall to the darkside, it may have seemed a little quick, yet, I don't know, I'm not so critical when it comes to entertainment, I still have my functional imagination that I had as a child, so it's all good.

All of this might have been slightly easier to buy if there was any kind of acting in any of these movies. Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman have as much emotional connection as two potholes in the middle of main street (and only slightly more personality). Heck, the cardboard cutout of Bruce Lee that they used to represent him in Game of Death had more dimensions than these two.

Um...they actually did stretch out Anakin's fall in all of the movies.

EP 1: Leaving his mother at a young age, this puts an emotional strain on him about wanting to free his mother which he goes to Tatooine on his own accord to do so.

Yeah, he was obviously very broken up about this. Either that, or Jake Lloyd had gas. Hard to tell, since it was such a fantastic acting job.

EP 2: He kills an entire village of sand people in rage over the death of his mother, this was definitely flirting with the darkside. Later he falls in love with Padme which sets up for EP 3.

Okay, this one was at least somewhat okay, although he did seem about as upset as a teenager protesting an early curfew.

EP 3: Against his better judgement and the jedi teaching, he kills an unarmed person(Dooku) then he starts having visions of Padme dying. So in not wanting to lose her like his mother, seeks a way to save his loved one.

The Dooku thing was probably the least painful scene out of all the "hey, he's converting to the dark side" scenes, so I was okay with this. The visions were rather lame, though.

Palpatine(the devil) promises that he can give Anakin(a broken, confused man) the power he needs to save her. So its not rushed, if you pay attention you can see that by ROTS in Palpatine's office it makes sense. Anakin was already slowly falling towards the darkside over the course of the 3 movies, until he finally made his choice in helping kill Mace Windu that sealed it.

Overall, I think the whole thing works better in a written summary, where we don't have to deal with Jake Lloyd, Natalie Portman, or Hayden Christensen. In other words, as long as we don't actually have to watch any of the movies.

Anakin's fall isn't believable. It's sloppy, riddled with holes that two TV series, countless books and comics and THREE MOVIES couldn't cover right.

Sentient beings don't work like this. They can't be tempted by the promise of power if the only requirement is senseless killing. Especially children. For something like this, you pay with your soul and nothing else. It's an evil enough closer. Murdering kids is too far over the top, Anakin should have realized what he was getting into at that point.

That he didn't is a sign of serious mental illness. This is not something that switches on. These have symptoms. They onset gradually. Being a prominent military figure wielding more power than all but like 50-100 beings in the known universe would kind of require people to have a mental profile on you and, frankly, if a jedi head doctor couldn't figure out this kid's issues they deserved to get stamped out anyway.

Both points lead to the same conclusion: The scene of his final fall was meaningless - it's senselessness utterly failing to evoke any sympathy from me, Order 66 was an eyerollingly corny murder **** montage and Lucas went too far trying to create a shock reaction by depicting his best known character murdering helpless children.

Lots of fail all around folks. If you don't agree, well, Lucas wouldn't be swimming in a pool full of benjamins if not for you right?

While we are on the subject of order 66, why the heck did Yoda and Obi Wan split up? They should have gone together to fight the emperor and then gone together to kill Vader. After all, Obi Wan said he would not be able to kill Anakin didn't he? That basicly set them both up to fail. Yoda making the greatest mistake any Jedi can make, underestimating the dark side. What is wrong with that writing??????? I don't get it. :mad:

While we are on the subject of order 66, why the heck did Yoda and Obi Wan split up? They should have gone together to fight the emperor and then gone together to kill Vader. After all, Obi Wan said he would not be able to kill Anakin didn't he? That basicly set them both up to fail. Yoda making the greatest mistake any Jedi can make, underestimating the dark side. What is wrong with that writing??????? I don't get it. :mad:

You are right about that. It seems to be that during the Prequal movies the Jedi time after time underestimated the Sith. At the end of the Phantom Menace both Yoda and Mace Windu knew that a Sith Warrior was killed at Naboo by Obi-Wan. They had identified the threat correctly.

Still, it seems to be that they didn´t share any information about the Sith to other important Jedi such as Anakin. It very much seems to be that Anakin knew only that the Sith were the enemies of the Jedi but he didn´t know how to fight against the Sith when Palpatine as the Supreme Chancellor first implied that there were knowledge which would prevent the deaths of the loved ones. How did Palpatine knew the tragedy of Darth Plagueis unless he was a Sith lord when he talked to Anakin at the opera?

IMHO, the most important issue from the military point of view is to identify the enemy and then let your troops know how to fight against that kind of enemy. All members of the Jedi should have known that the Sith are probably very manipulative and if they know your weaknesses then they will exploit them. If you know that someone is a Sith lord, then do not trust that person. Inform the Jedi Council and let them deal with him.

Edited by FinnishDragon

It was very emotional to see the jedi caught off guard and killed, so I do agree with you. However, saga-wise, the most powerful scene to me has been Luke and Vader fighting below the Emperor (that music man, makes me cry)

Agreed. Yoda and Obi Wan weren't what I would call the best planners in the world. I bet at the end of Episode 3, Bail was very worried for the galaxy.

Bail: "So let me make sure I understand. You're both going to hide. You're not going to help with the rebellion I'm building. At all."

Yoda: "Watch over the Skywalkers, we must."

Bail: "But I'm watching Leia AND I'm starting a rebellion. And you're going to take Luke to live in the exact spot where Anakin's mother is buried?"

Obi Wan: "Well, the pain of her death will keep him away."

Bail: "Yeah. I guess it's worth risking the entire galaxy on that assumption. It's not like there isn't a billion completely unknown planets in the galaxy you could hide him on."

Yoda: "In 20 years, agree with this plan, you will."

Bail: "Okay. At least Obi Wan will be there training Luke during that time, so he'll be ready."

Obi Wan: "Oh, I'm not training him. I'll just be there watching him grow up from a distance. We'll actually start training him at about twenty."

Bail: "But... Anakin was too old to begin the training... at ten."

Obi Wan: "If he gains strength in the force, they might detect his presence."

Bail: "Okay, then we'll start training the twins when they're older. I'll trust you on this. Then they can go in together and face the Emperor and Vader."

Yoda: "Train them both, we will not."

Bail: "Why?"

Obi Wan: "Leia's a girl."

Bail. "..."

Obi Wan: "You just worry about your rebel alliance."

Bail: "But if Luke is the only hope, why bother with the alliance. You're cool with thousands of freedom fighters dying for the next twenty years?"

Yoda: "A part in this, they have!"

Bail: "Okay. Again, I'll trust you. Leia will be an Organa, Luke will be a Lars."

Obi Wan: "No, he'll keep the name Skywalker."

Bail: "So he'll live where Anakin's mother is buried AND he'll be called Skywalker? Do you understand what it means to go into hiding?"

Yoda: "Decided it is! Young Skywalker will go to the planet Vader grew up on... the planet Vader vowed to return to and free the slaves... and keep the name Skywalker, he will. Obi Wan will watch him but not train him. Leia will live with Bail, and will become an important part of the rebel alliance."

Bail: "Should I keep Leia out of it? Keep her safe in case she needs to be trained as a Jedi."

Obi Wan: "But... she's a girl."

Bail: "..."

Agreed. Yoda and Obi Wan weren't what I would call the best planners in the world. I bet at the end of Episode 3, Bail was very worried for the galaxy.

Bail: "So let me make sure I understand. You're both going to hide. You're not going to help with the rebellion I'm building. At all."

Yoda: "Watch over the Skywalkers, we must."

Bail: "But I'm watching Leia AND I'm starting a rebellion. And you're going to take Luke to live in the exact spot where Anakin's mother is buried?"

Obi Wan: "Well, the pain of her death will keep him away."

Bail: "Yeah. I guess it's worth risking the entire galaxy on that assumption. It's not like there isn't a billion completely unknown planets in the galaxy you could hide him on."

Yoda: "In 20 years, agree with this plan, you will."

Bail: "Okay. At least Obi Wan will be there training Luke during that time, so he'll be ready."

Obi Wan: "Oh, I'm not training him. I'll just be there watching him grow up from a distance. We'll actually start training him at about twenty."

Bail: "But... Anakin was too old to begin the training... at ten."

Obi Wan: "If he gains strength in the force, they might detect his presence."

Bail: "Okay, then we'll start training the twins when they're older. I'll trust you on this. Then they can go in together and face the Emperor and Vader."

Yoda: "Train them both, we will not."

Bail: "Why?"

Obi Wan: "Leia's a girl."

Bail. "..."

Obi Wan: "You just worry about your rebel alliance."

Bail: "But if Luke is the only hope, why bother with the alliance. You're cool with thousands of freedom fighters dying for the next twenty years?"

Yoda: "A part in this, they have!"

Bail: "Okay. Again, I'll trust you. Leia will be an Organa, Luke will be a Lars."

Obi Wan: "No, he'll keep the name Skywalker."

Bail: "So he'll live where Anakin's mother is buried AND he'll be called Skywalker? Do you understand what it means to go into hiding?"

Yoda: "Decided it is! Young Skywalker will go to the planet Vader grew up on... the planet Vader vowed to return to and free the slaves... and keep the name Skywalker, he will. Obi Wan will watch him but not train him. Leia will live with Bail, and will become an important part of the rebel alliance."

Bail: "Should I keep Leia out of it? Keep her safe in case she needs to be trained as a Jedi."

Obi Wan: "But... she's a girl."

Bail: "..."

This is too funny, what was Lucas smoking when he wrote this, crack?

It wouldn't have worked, Sidious would have flattened Obi-Wan and then the same thing would happen with Yoda.

That could be said a lot about the PT with the way GL tried to tie in the plot from the PT to the OT. Grant it, this has nothing to do with the main point of this thread, buts its similar in what you just mentioned, like why the hell did it happen like this, when there is a more logical way of approachig it.

In episode 2 when dooku told obi-wan that the republic was under the control of a sith lord, obi-wan, mace, and yoda just dismiss the whole idea and thought it was BS. You would assume if got any knowledge of what potentially could help you in the long run, you would pay attention to it, and it ends up biting them in the ***. The jedi should have been paying attention to key figures in the senate. To me the main problem of the PT was the way GL tried to tie the plot from the PT to the OT, it wasn't logical.

Edited by SeanC

That could be said a lot about the PT with the way GL tried to tie in the plot from the PT to the OT. Grant it, this has nothing to do with the main point of this thread, buts its similar in what you just mentioned, like why the hell did it happen like this, when there is a more logical way of approachig it.

In episode 2 when dooku told obi-wan that the republic was under the control of a sith lord, obi-wan, mace, and yoda just dismiss the whole idea and thought it was BS. You would assume if got any knowledge of what potentially could help you in the long run, you would pay attention to it, and it ends up biting them in the ***. The jedi should have been paying attention to key figures in the senate. To me the main problem of the PT was the way GL tried to tie the plot from the PT to the OT, it wasn't logical.

Why would you believe anything your sworn enemy tells you? The sith are deceitful and manipulative I don't see them being trusted. Sides the jedi did suspect Palpatine, but they weren't 100% all they knew was that the darkside surrounded him they didn't know it was actually coming from him.

Why would you believe anything your sworn enemy tells you? The sith are deceitful and manipulative I don't see them being trusted. Sides the jedi did suspect Palpatine, but they weren't 100% all they knew was that the darkside surrounded him they didn't know it was actually coming from him.

They didn't really mention that they suspected palpatine until they decided to tell anikan to keep an eye on him, and that was basically half way the third movie. They had 3 years from episode 2 to gather a better understanding of what was actually happening in the senate, but I guess since they were busy with the war they coudlnt attack the situation like they should have.

I do agree to the extent that you shouldn't believe what your enemy tells you, but its pretty idiotic to dismiss it the way they did when they could atleast consider the possibility of it. They still could have investigated the situation based on what information that they gathered from dooku. Hell they were pretty displeased with the way the senate was heading though during the third movie.

Edited by SeanC

It was actually a very smart move for Yoda and Obi-Wan to split up. In the Rise of Darth Vader novel, which takes place just months after Episode 3 there is a band of Jedi that sticks together to try to take the Emperor down, and they end up being killed by Vader. Obi-Wan hears about it when watching the news in a Cantina on Tatooine and remarks to himself about how they were stupid in staying together, and should have split up.

Reminds me of the stupidity of the Prequel writing.

One minute Anakin is a Jedi, then the same day he is off killing children??!! I just don't get there. Also how can there be a redemption after you have slaugtered children?

The Emperor should have been the one to kill the younglings, also Anakin's turn to the Darkside should have happened at the end of the second film, not some instantaneous change halfway through aprt 3.

from the very first scene in the clone wars he is showing at every single opportunity rampant failing at being a Jedi, hes arrogant presumptions full of desire for power fame and love there isnt a single jedi like mannerism in him , he only gets to train because obi promised his master to , and obi is no were near old or experienced enough to train him , and as he admits he thinks of anarkin as a brother , its a majour failing for obi to.

After watching this scene while viewing the Blu Ray set, it did hit me. The reason was not derived from the films directly. Rather, the reason I felt more saddened this time than watching it previous times was because of the Clone Wars TV show. It really makes Anakin's fall more tragic, and believable. It hurts seeing the clone troopers you are growing to like, turn on the Jedi you have also grown to like. Also, seeing on of the heroes, Anakin, loosing his battle that he has been fighting all through the Clone Wars.

Watching the Clone Wars really adds more depth to Order 66, and the rise of Vader.