In case you missed it: Combat logs are coming, but only for yourself

Felioats

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please explain to me how a combat log only captures personal data. It capture all data in a external file. What they are referring to is that you will only be able to see your specific data in real time.

e.g. you were killed by 3k damage from Joe Smoe.

The log itself will have everyone's data - which can be exported to an analysis site like World of Logs.

Good no recount for group. And you know personal DPS. Now everyone wins. No loud mouth in raid shouting everyone's number's and if you ask me mine. I'll lie.

LOl. This is a good post. I see so much posting of dps meters by players when it makes them look good. Some fights do favor a certain class and this is usually when you see them posted. Plus how come several times, the dps meters can vary when posted by different playes on the same fight? Makes me wonder about some who cheat on those numbers. I hope they never allow DPS meters in TOR.

Please explain to me how a combat log only captures personal data. It capture all data in a external file. What they are referring to is that you will only be able to see your specific data in real time.

The log itself will have everyone's data - which can be exported to an analysis site like World of Logs.

That is not what was said in the summit. They can put what ever they want into the combat log, and for now they are only outputting information done by and to the player.

Edited by Vydor_HC

Here is the exact Quote for those of you who are having a hard time Understanding.

"With 1.2 you will be able to enable a chat log feature that indicates what killed you or what you killed. We also will have a detailed parseable combat log able to be written to disc. The log will not be available in-game."

Let me break this down into simple language for you.

There will be a chat feature that displays personal information only about things like:

what killed you and what you killed. How much you hit X mob for.

There will also be a behind the scenes combat log which has "All information" that can be exported.

If player A hits you for X amount then logically it is capturing his data as well. Follow?

This is how you can measure other players performance.

*buzzer*

You will not be able to see what others are doing, only yourself.

Here is the exact Quote for those of you who are having a hard time Understanding.

"With 1.2 you will be able to enable a chat log feature that indicates what killed you or what you killed. We also will have a detailed parseable combat log able to be written to disc. The log will not be available in-game."

There will be a chat feature that displays personal information only about things like:

There will also be a behind the scenes combat log which has "All information" that can be exported.

If player A hits you for X amount then logically it is capturing his data as well. Follow?

Exactly, what you see in the log in the chat will be in the combat log on the disk, information about the player only. That has been their stance from day one on this issue, nothing has changed.

Wrong. The log will store YOUR data.

Exactly, what you see in the log in the chat will be in the combat log on the disk, information about the player only. That has been their stance from day one on this issue, nothing has changed.

Wrong. What you see in chat is a small portion of what will exist in the combat log. It is a filter of information specifically pertaining to you. What is in the combat log is alll information. The combat log is the code behind the scenes capturing the data. How do you write a combat log that captures only your data? This makes zero sense logically and impossible to program.

It was sort of tucked at the end of one of Georg's posts, and while I noticed it, I haven't seen any threads on the matter.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1435443#edit1435443

That's how I interpret the quote, anyway.

(EDIT: Emphasis not mine. In the original quote, the word "your" is italicized)

And it's all right by me. The people who want logs say they need meters to let them gauge their own performance as a point of personal pride. Few have been willing to admit they want them for any other reason.

This should satisfy pretty much everyone -- both the people who want logs to help them better themselves, and the people who don't want the culture of elitism and exclusion that meters foster.

eh, the word "your" is both plural and singular 2nd person possessive pronoun.

The quote there doesn't actually say what you're implying that it does. He might mean it the way that you're implying, but banking on that is kind of silly.

*buzzer*

You will not be able to see what others are doing, only yourself.

source? Edited by ferroz

Wrong. What you see in chat is a small portion of what will exist in the combat log. It is a filter of information specifically pertaining to you. What is in the combat log is alll information. The combat log is the code behind the scenes capturing the data. How do you write a combat log that captures only your data? This makes zero sense logically and impossible to program.

I can write a combat log to display anything I want, if I have control over the code...which they do. Just like they are only showing the data concerning the player in the chat, they will be exporting that data out to a parsable detailed output file.

Edited by Vydor_HC

In PvP, yes, it will show what another person hit your for but in raiding it will NOT show what that other person hit the boss/trash mobs for.

There is not going to be an "all information" log.

Again here is the exact Quote

"With 1.2 you will be able to enable a chat log feature that indicates what killed you or what you killed. We also will have a detailed parseable combat log able to be written to disc. The log will not be available in-game.

Let me get even more simple for those who still cannot comprehend basic logic. I underlined the key component.

Explain to me in logic how a log can capture what killed you but not capture external data. I really want to see this programming Wizardy.

If Player A is what killed you, and it displays what killed me, then logically how can I not becapturing Player A data. If I am capturing Player A data, then how can I not have a log of it?

Edited by dmanlong

The panel yesterday. They made the point that want players to be able to decide whether to share their information or not.

When you join a group, it's not up to you. You do what the group wants, or you can sit on Fleet and cry about it.

Only baddies would refuse to share their data anyways.

Edited by Kourage

In PvP, yes, it will show what another person hit your for but in raiding it will NOT show what that other person hit the boss/trash mobs for.

There is not going to be an "all information" log.

So the log will magically change for PvP? Lmao - seriously done arguing here. You are grasping at straws.

The panel yesterday.
Is there a transcript that you're referring to? Or are we just playing telephone?

They made the point that want players to be able to decide whether to share their information or not.
Being able to decide whether to share info != can only see personal combat data.

I'm still curious which they actually said, and whether there is a source somewhere out on the web in written form.

Again here is the exact Quote

"With 1.2 you will be able to enable a chat log feature that indicates what killed you or what you killed. We also will have a detailed parseable combat log able to be written to disc. The log will not be available in-game.

Let me get even more simple for those who still cannot comprehend basic logic. I underlined the key component.

Explain to me in logic how a log can capture what killed you but not capture external data. I really want to see this programming Wizardy.

If Player A is what killed you, and it displays what killed me, then logically how and I not capturing Player A data. If I am capturing Player A data, then how can I not have a log of it?

Ahh, I see your confusion now.

Yeah, you will see what was used by Enemy player A on you, but you will not see what Enemy player A does to anyone else, nor what Teammate player B does to enemy player A, or any mob you're fighting. Only information done to and by your character will be in the log.

EDIT: What you underlined actually highlights what we are saying, that it's a personal log.

Edited by Vydor_HC

When you join a group, it's not up to you. You do what the group wants, or you can sit on Fleet and cry about it.

Huh? This has nothing to do with sharing an individual's combat log but carry on with your silly posts.

So the log will magically change for PvP? Lmao - seriously done arguing here. You are grasping at straws.

"With 1.2 you will be able to enable a chat log feature that indicates what killed you or what you killed."

Since it tracks "what killed you" you will obviously get information about other players in PVP.

Since in PVE, other players are not hitting/killing you, you won't get their information.

It is not that hard to understand.

Hopefully some third party software will be able to give us folks that care about performance real-time data pretty soon.

There are plenty of games that are raid friendly, so far this isn't one of them.

I mean the thing was released without a Ready Check. Are you kidding me?

"With 1.2 you will be able to enable a chat log feature that indicates what killed you or what you killed."

Since it tracks "what killed you" you will obviously get information about other players in PVP.

Since in PVE, other players are not hitting/killing you, you won't get their information.

It is not that hard to understand.

Exactly, making it a personal log. What was done to you and by you.

Hopefully some third party software will be able to give us folks that care about performance real-time data pretty soon.

There are plenty of games that are raid friendly, so far this isn't one of them.

I mean the thing was released without a Ready Check. Are you kidding me?

Yeah, it won't take long at all for the tools to get up and running, once we know the format of the output log.

Is there a transcript that you're referring to? Or are we just playing telephone?

Being able to decide whether to share info != can only see personal combat data.

I'm still curious which they actually said, and whether there is a source somewhere out on the web in written form.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19973-guild-summit-stream-live-blog/page-3

Q: Metrics for Operations? When will we get threat meters and combat logs? Gabe: We don't want to rely as much as meters, we want to rely more on visual in-game cues. We do want to have those metrics though. They're not in 1.2 though. Georg: We do realize it is useful to figure out what is being done wrong. But we don't want to people to be able to go out and judge you. With 1.2 you will be able to enable a chat log feature that indicates what killed you or what you killed. We also will have a detailed parseable combat log able to be written to disc. The log will not be available in-game.

So tell me if they don't want players to be able to judge other players why would they set it up so their information can be seen in downloadable log?