The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why the hell is the Vanguard class so weird?

wraithmarinex

I really like the vanguard class but I have a couple of questions:

1. Why is every other skill something to do with lighting? A shotgun animation or heavy calibre round with amazing sound effects would of been better.

2. If melee combat plays such a large roll, why couldn't they use bayonets? (vibroblade bayonet's!, please make this happen).

3. If explosive shots and lighting cannons are such a big thing why not allow blasters to have under-slung components? I want to see an under-slung grenade launcher or laser shotgun on these weapons.

4. Why can't Vanguards use a vibroblade in the mainhand and a pistol in the offhand?

Vanguards are Tech attack users. Unlike the Gunnery Commandos that use their ranged attacks.

We're the closest thing to a melee Battlemage you'll get.

Star wars also doesn't need under-slugs, everything fires out the same tube.

Offhands are replaced by shield generators.

Edited by LordSemaj

i really like the vanguard class but i have a couple of questions:

1. Why is every other skill something to do with lighting? A shotgun animation or heavy calibre round with amazing sound effects would of been better.

because shotguns are lame and game designers dont have a clue how the should work.

2. If melee combat plays such a large roll, why couldn't they use bayonets? (vibroblade bayonet's!, please make this happen).

because we have lightning that blasts people over a wide area and thats much better

3. If explosive shots and lighting cannons are such a big thing why not allow blasters to have under-slung components? I want to see an under-slung grenade launcher or laser shotgun on these weapons.

because this is star wars and not modern warfare in space

4. Why can't vanguards use a vibroblade in the mainhand and a pistol in the offhand?

as the man says, go big or go home

Because they mirror Powertech Bounty Hunters that spew fire with their flamethrower, they just picked a different element for us.

That gets at the heart of the issue doesn't it. Bounty Hunters were designed first just as all of the other ACs that were designed as imperial then haphazardly ported into republic rip offs. Vanguard looks goofy and forced where everything from harpoon to storm to the lightning is wierd and doesn't match but its mirror fits perfectly into bountyhunter inconography.

You don't know that they ported the Imp classes to Rep side. You could say that it appears that way, and I would agree with you. Most of the abilities we get just look... stupid isn't the right word. They just don't work, visually, where the BH's does.

Troopers were a lot different to begin with, completely different resource, party buffs, Summon Reinforcements, etc... but eventually they dropped the idea of different classes between factions so now they're just 100% mirrors, not taking bugs into account. The old trooper skills didn't fit BHs so they mirrored the BH skills.

Vanguards should use more gauntlet vibroblades and less stock strikes. I mean, if striking with the butt of the gun does so much damage, why don't they just make a gun that shoots rifle butts? They could call it the "Butt Cannon."

Speaking of vibroblades, Gut is just a slash with a knife, not mounted in the gauntlet at all.

Storm is very weird, and running across gaps looks just ridiculous. Really, it would be better if they'd just give Vanguards (or all troopers) jetpacks, since some skills are completely taken from BHs and they'd look less awkward.

I would really like shotguns. More damage than rifles but 10m range. Hammershot would fire two quick shots, like a double tap with a shotgun. And come on, wouldn't you love Full Auto with a shotgun? Some Jackhammer action right there.

Right now Vanguard is kinda like Doomguy from the Doom Comic. You have armor and a rifle, but you just run up to your enemies and rip and tear their guts. Not really an iconic trooper... then again in any given promotional media where there's a trooper, it's always a Commando (just look at the 1.1 trailer.)

Commando abilities do seem to fit better on the republic mirror then the BH at least for gunnery that is, but I'm not the one who made that awful tracer animation when missile blast is 100x cooler. Vibro trooper with a pistol would be great. Very warhammerish. Edited by Rotm