Armstech - completely worthless

hobartakus

I just replaced my hand-crafted dual-wield purple Barrel 22's with purple 23's for a whole 16 daily tokens. Took me all of 3 hours to get them. Any guess how many missions it took to get that G6 purple mat without a mission book?

So toss the barrel argument out the door when it comes to endgame. My barrels lasted all of 1 level and I could have saved the mats from doing all that RE. I've sold other barrel types, but they even give you barrels as drops. 3 out of 10 of my barrels sell. I actually sell more mats for people trying to RE than I do real product.

I thought about making some orange blasters... why? My guns I got at 12 and 18 are much better. I even have better crystals.

Same exact argument works for my Cybertech. Except he makes really expensive grenades and mines. Everything else he makes has a better version available from commendations and drops.

Shoulda rolled two biochems.... :(

Agreed, they have to make the skill worthwhile. I didn't even use the skill AT ALL while leveling, seriously disappointed in it. Only thing i even think would be useful are the lvl 50 blasters, but I will probably have something thats better by the time I get to 50 to use it. Only thing the skill has accomplished for me is a waste of time and creds.

Is this true?

A good response would be much appreciated because i have a lower level alt and have decided to learn Armstech, so if it is indeed worthless as you claim it to be it's better for me to change while i have it relatively undeveloped.

The alt i am talking about is Bounty Hunter so advice for another crafting profession would be also much appreciated.

Maybe making armor?

Edited by Vlacke

Shoulda rolled two biochems.... :(

LOL!!! I'm really sorry I understand your frustration, Im a Armstech myself, but the final conclusion is just so funny.

Anyway, on topic, I think they should really overhaul Crafting mechanics as right now I feel easily replacable person with my silly barrels...

Is this true?

A good response would be much appreciated because i have a lower level alt and have decided to learn Armstech, so if it is indeed worthless as you claim it to be it's better for me to change while i have it relatively undeveloped.

The alt i am talking about is Bounty Hunter so advice for another crafting profession would be also much appreciated.

Maybe making armor?

Just listen what everyone says - BIOCHEM. Biochem is new SWTOR Bible. I'm not going to give up my Armstech, it grew in too many tears and pain to just reset it like this. I'll just wait and keep hoping they will address these ideas later down the road.

Armstech is primarily useful for supplying your other alts with weapons if you decide to roll a BH or an IA; while leveling most of the schematics you unlock for weapons arent't worthwhile because you outlevel them so fast even if you have the purple schematics. On the other hand,if you obtain the purple schematics for the barrels they can be useful as you level up to endgame.

But once you reach end-game the barrel mods aren't worth it because you can run Ilum dailies for the top tier barrel mods. The high level schematics that you do get our outclassed by raid and pvp gear as well so Armstech at this point is in poor repair which is unfortunate since I leveled it to 400 already and have mainly been relegated to making low level gear for friends and alts and selling the mid-level mods on the GTN for a meager profit.

Armstech is primarily useful for supplying your other alts with weapons if you decide to roll a BH or an IA; while leveling most of the schematics you unlock for weapons arent't worthwhile because you outlevel them so fast even if you have the purple schematics. On the other hand,if you obtain the purple schematics for the barrels they can be useful as you level up to endgame.

But once you reach end-game the barrel mods aren't worth it because you can run Ilum dailies for the top tier barrel mods. The high level schematics that you do get our outclassed by raid and pvp gear as well so Armstech at this point is in poor repair which is unfortunate since I leveled it to 400 already and have mainly been relegated to making low level gear for friends and alts and selling the mid-level mods on the GTN for a meager profit.

Thank you for your reply sir.

As for Biochem, i won't take it because there will obviously be a moment when all other crafting skills are improved and made more useful at top level, when i don't know, but it will definitely happen.

I can see a legion of people who dropped all their other skills for Biochem regretting their decision when it happens.

Edited by Vlacke

Thank you for your reply sir.

As for Biochem, i won't take it because there will obviously be a moment when all other crafting skills are improved and made more useful at top level, when i don't know, but it will definitely happen.

I can see a legion of people who dropped all their other skills for Biochem regretting their decision when it happens.

One can only hope that crafting will be addressed by the developers in the future as I'm sure they are aware of the flaws in the current system based on all the threads that have been cropping up; I'm fairly confident that once they are addressed alot of the people who rerolled to biochem are going to regret their decision but as of right now I can't fault them for taking the initiative and taking the skill that has the most benefits in game now that slicing has been reset to it's current metrics.

How has anyone found armstech for leveling? I understand that all crafting other than biotech (I have one) becomes redundant at 50.

I'm not the fastest leveler and have several alts and I'm using armortech at the moment to help give my characters edge which is working quite well. I do encounter enemy players in OPVP on Tatooine for example and have held up against them even though they're a few levels higher.

Musing adding an armstech alt to support my IA / BH and companions -- is it worth doing?

It's ok for leveling, but once you hit 50 it quickly becomes useless. I have Armstech at 400 and only use it to make lvl35-47 barrels to sell to people's alts on the GTN, that is about the only thing this skills is useful for.

The top purple barrels you can make are not as good as the ones you pick up on Ilum for a handful daily commedations.

The only orange guns I have found you can make are lvl 48, require a BoP crafting material and are not as good as the Flashpoint/Raid/PvP gear. So they are worthless.

Any blue or purple gun you can make is also worthless as it has no mod slots and you quickly out level it.

Shotguns/Vibroknives are broken and you cannot reverse engineer them into blues/purples at all. Even if you could, the one you buy with Centurion tokens is probably going to be better and it doesn't cost very much.

You can make purple lvl 50 techstaffs/techblades if you take the ridiculous amount of time and money its takes reverse engineer them. I've not seen any Orange techstaff/techblades on commedation vendors, only orange vibroblades and electrostaffs. So anyone who wants the best techstaff/techblade for their companion that uses them has to get them from someone with armstech. That however is a very niche market.

Edited by Sivlar

Cheers for the input. I have some orange guns the mods are expensive to buy and when I have. I'd end-up with a blue loot gun that turned out better. Could just be my level -- but cash around L25 is hard to come by and with that speeder license to buy... I figured if made some blues and some purples then that extra-edge in OPVP encounters might help and WZs when the brackets come in.

I've left crafting to Alts and Biotech on the main. If they fix crafting I can always level up the alts to a more complete level.

Can you find end-game mods for oranges with the same stat? For instance, can you get 4 power mods into an orange blaster?

I'm playing like 8 characters at once and nobody's at 50 yet but my impression of the balancing philosophy is that purples give you greater ability to focus on a specific stat. If you want to load up on crit or power for instance I don't think you can get the same levels of that out of mods.

With guns at least there's greens that start off with all manner of useful stats to combo. Then you can RE blues that will stack with that stat and purples that will stack with that stat further. Then you augment further stacking that stat.

If BW made it possible to achieve the same level of focus with modded oranges, then yes, I would say Armstech is better for grabbing level-appropriate blues and/or purples as you go.

Otherwise, I would say most of the Armstech QQers at 50 don't really know the mechanics of the game as well as they should and I look forward to demonstrating what a properly geared Dirty Fighting gunslinger can do to somebody wearing bandwagon gear when I get there. As it is, I'm already scoring top damage in PVP matches at level 32 with my "useless" purple Mastercraft pistols and not even close to optimal armor.

And yes, awesome for leveling. Supremely awesome for handing killer weapons down to friends and alts at lower levels. My personal verdict for 50 is not yet established but judging on what people are saying, I'm not convinced Armstech is at all useless at 50.

Can you find end-game mods for oranges with the same stat? For instance, can you get 4 power mods into an orange blaster?

You mention you are lvl 32, at your level purple crafted gear is fine. An orange is better though as your purple will soon be out leveled and you will have no way of upgrading it's sub-par stats. The damage you see in WZ's is from bolster, and you must not have anyone 50 in the WZ wearing Battlemaster or Champ gear if you are topping the parse.

If you shop around or have access to crafters in your guild that have taken the time to rev-eng purples. An orange blaster can be modded out with a purple barrel, mod, and enhancement and deliver better stats than any purple crafted gun you will find before 50.

I have several orange guns from various levels, all of them are either on par or have better stats than a crafted purple of equal level. On top of that you can upgrade them, purple guns you cannot. We cannot craft orange guns that are below lvl 48, and the ones we can do not have good stats and require a BoP mat only dropped in hardmode raids.

After you hit 50, you will find that any crafted purple gun well, just sucks compared to what you can do with an orange gun using the purple barrels/mods/enhancements you get on Ilum. If I recall correctly the highest rank item you can make is 22, the stuff on Ilum is either 23 or 24. The 50 PvP and flashpoint guns are also better than anything you will ever craft and are fairly easy to get.

As it is now, Armstech is the least viable crafting skill.

Edited by Sivlar

Armstech being worthless at lvl 50, as it is, also means investigation is worthless as a skill too, as all it does is provide armstech with it's unique mats. There's absolutely zero demand for investigation items on the GTN, and yes I know they don't show under investigation but insted under scavenging (fix easy bugs pls...). Give armstech something worthwhile to make at endgame, and you just fixed two broken crew skills!