The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AGAIN this nonsense.

Devs clearly stated that your graphics settings don't have anything to deal with servers, and anyone having even basic knowledge about networking will tell you the same:

SERVERS DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DEAL WITH DETAIL SETTINGS IN YOUR GAME.

^ capital letters for you to read & understand more easily, don't think I'm shouting :)

Its nothing to do with the servers for sure but I do think the Hero engine can't handle having all the bells and whistles turned on. Even using the medium settings that are currently the best we have at the moment there is a very noticeable drop in frame rate when you hit the fleet no mater how few people are around.

There is also the issue with shadows that in one spot look ok if a little basic and in another spot a few meters away turn into pure junk and look like they are made from lego bricks. Considering even with the games real high res textures turn on (beta, holo trick, screenshots) while nice but nothing really next gen or cutting edge yet according to Bioware, cause a huge awful performance hit to high spec PC's kinda shows the engine in a total pile of trash.

Its nothing to do with the servers for sure but I do think the Hero engine can't handle having all the bells and whistles turned on. Even using the medium settings that are currently the best we have at the moment there is a very noticeable drop in frame rate when you hit the fleet no mater how few people are around.

There is also the issue with shadows that in one spot look ok if a little basic and in another spot a few meters away turn into pure junk and look like they are made from lego bricks. Considering even with the games real high res textures turn on (beta, holo trick, screenshots) while nice but nothing really next gen or cutting edge yet according to Bioware, cause a huge awful performance hit to high spec PC's kinda shows the engine in a total pile of trash.

Yep Good one=)!

Over 40k people have viewed this thread. And Bioware is going to continue to tell us it is not one of their priorities to fix. Hmmmmmm, scratch scratch.....

My guess is the issue is something major. This issue is bad PR and is being commented on by other websites and in user reviews of the game. To be fair to Bioware they have been quick to roll out bug fixes so unless they have the biggest fool on the planet deciding on the order of things to be fixed, I can't see how a small code change to let players pick the real high res graphics option (with a warning or whatever about loss of framerate) just to make this thread and the bad press go away unless there was a really serious issue going on.

Edited by Jounar

Over 40k people have viewed this thread. And Bioware is going to continue to tell us it is not one of their priorities to fix. Hmmmmmm, scratch scratch.....

My guess is the issue is something major. This issue is bad PR and is being commented on by other website and in user reviews of the game. To be fair to Bioware they have been quick to roll out bug fixes so unless they have the biggest fool on the planet deciding on the order of things to be fixed, I can't see how a small code change to let players pick the real high res graphics option (with a warning or whatever about loss of framerate) just to make this thread and the bad press go away unless there was a really serious issue going on.

Scene: Wealthy business man excitedly reading magazine, he is in the market for a new car and has the money to spend. He just upgraded his garage to house his new purchase. Suddenly! his eye falls upon what he wants and he eagerly calls the dealership.

Customer: Hi, I saw this bugatti veyron in a magazine and I was told I could buy it here.

Salesman: Sure have a look at this, would you like a test drive?

Customer: Oh sure wow, just look at this car this is going to be awesome!

Narrator: Exciting test drive occurs.

Customer: Wow that was *********** amazing, I want to buy this now I can't wait im going to tell everyone about it.

Salesman: We will send the car in a very nice looking box to you, is that agreeable?

Customer: Sure sounds great, can't wait.

Narrator: Half a year later, customer receives box and opens it.

Customer: What the hell, why did I recieve a Toyota! This must be a mistake, let me talk to the salesman to sort this mess out.

Narrator: Angry phone call ensues

Customer: Hey whats going on here mr salesman, I am very upset with what I got.

Salesman: During the testdrive we deemed that you couldn't handle the car thus we changed it.

Customer: What do you mean it handled fine, I loved it and thats why I bought it.

Salesman: We never intended for you to have access to the car in the first place to enjoy in the way you did.

Customer: Wait what?

Salesman: We were only ever selling the toyota.

Customer: But wait.. the magazine, the test drive!.... what I payed for!

Salesman: We understand how you feel, in about 6 months we will come up with a solution to make your toyota a better car.

Customer: This is not acceptable I....

Narrator: Salesman hangs up, tune in next week for more tales of interrest.

Fade out, end scene.

Edited by Harower

That would be great and impressive if those views are unique views. Unfortunately the majority of them are the same people posting, refreshing the page looking if someone else responded, then responding again. At least 500 of those views are just from me alone. ^_^

Unless of course there are other issues associated with it like a memory leak, tearing, causing a strain on the servers.

We know there are issues. It's because their engine is sub-par to say the least. To even imply that texture resolution has anything to do with servers and/or bandwith is flat out wrong (unless there is something extremely insane going on). Rendering high resolution textures isn't the hard part of a graphic card's work, so there has to be something horribly wrong with their engine.

Graphic options are almost non-existant in this game. It baffles me.

BTW, poor optimization isn't new from Bioware. Both DA and DA2 suffered from it.

That would be great and impressive if those views are unique views. Unfortunately the majority of them are the same people posting, refreshing the page looking if someone else responded, then responding again. At least 500 of those views are just from me alone. ^_^

True, not more than a few hundred people participate actually in this thread.

http://www.swtor.com/media/screens/commando

this is from their own media homepage corner, so if they are telling us the game never was meant to look like this outside of cutscenes, why the f*ck is he standing there outside a custcene looking like that, I never saw a cutscene like that with the commando firing

I'd really like an explanation on that, and instead of Mr Reid taking a long weekend he should sit down with whoever is responsible, and get a real answer ready for us. What kind of a behaviour is that? "Ah the sh*t is hitting the fan, time to get off work for 4 days, maybe all the problems will solve themselves by then"

customers with eye cancer is the only result you will ever get like that, and losing subscriptions, mine is gone, if I'd ever deliver one day of work as sh*tty as yours BioWare, EA, Mr. Reid and everone else that was involved in this sh*t storm drama, I'd be gone, standing on the street without a job, having been employed for the longest time. Maybe you should think really hard again where the money for your paychecks comes from.

Pissing off your customers isn't smart if youaren't be able to figure that out yourself, and judging from your behavior it seems like you can't.

Edited by MutsuKazuma

We are sorry we picked a crappy engine and do not know how to code. We still call ourselves a game studio though. Even though much smaller studios with limited budgets run circles around us we really do try.

We understand the game is not only riddled with bugs many of these directly effect game play and progression. Bear with us while we try to get our act together.

You have to understand our standards are much lower and we feel ok pushing out broken products that we try to then to fix over a extensive period while happily taking more of you money.

Instead we get this PR nonsense on the front page.

Scene: Wealthy business man excitedly reading magazine, he is in the market for a new car and has the money to spend. He just upgraded his garage to house his new purchase. Suddenly! his eye falls upon what he wants and he eagerly calls the dealership.

Customer: Hi, I saw this bugatti veyron in a magazine and I was told I could buy it here.

Customer: Wow that was *********** amazing, I want to buy this now I can't wait im going to tell everyone about it.

Salesman: We will send the car in a very nice looking box to you, is that agreeable?

Customer: What the hell, why did I recieve a Toyota! This must be a mistake, let me talk to the salesman to sort this mess out.

Salesman: During the testdrive we deemed that you couldn't handle the car thus we changed it.

Customer: What do you mean it handled fine, I loved it and thats why I bought it.

Salesman: We never intended for you to have access to the car in the first place to enjoy in the way you did.

Salesman: We understand how you feel, in about 6 months we will come up with a solution to make your toyota a better car.

Fade out, end scene.

This is exactly the analogy this thread and issue needed. Nice job.

Fade out, end scene.

You need to know that there are a few of us who REALLY appreciate your post. Thank you.

We are sorry we picked a crappy engine and do not know how to code. We still call ourselves a game studio though. Even though much smaller studios with limited budgets run circles around us we really do try.

We understand the game is not only riddled with bugs many of these directly effect game play and progression. Bear with us while we try to get our act together.

You have to understand our standards are much lower and we feel ok pushing out broken products that we try to then to fix over a extensive period while happily taking more of you money.

Instead we get this PR nonsense on the front page.

In all reality what needs to happen is they need to be up front with us.

The MMO playerbase is famous/infamous for taking game systems and breaking them/testing them/discovering them, etc. Whether this is in gameplay (Ensidia World First H-LK and LFR Exploits in WoW I'm looking at you as two that come to mind immediately as does the guy on Zul'Jin a long time ago who figured out ilvl.) It is insane for them to think that we 1) Wouldn't notice and 2) wouldn't take offense to it.

They are talking about a playerbase who some can see a .01% of their DPS increase when they switch out gear and will wear that gear no matter what because it increases their DPS. They will notice something as big as this.

If they are up front with us and say that this was an oversight of the engine and its just not possible to produce these until the engine has been further optimized AND stop tauting high rez textures and soft shadows as features. sure that may cause another poostorm, but there is something to be said for honesty. I for one, would be willing to stick around for longer (I'm going to stick around for a while because my friends are enjoying the game and so am I...The textures just crawls all over me.) but when I feel like I'm being lied to, I lose faith in a developer that I have loved since Bauldur's Gate. And yes, I even liked DA2....It was meant for Consoles and I played in on one. The Combat was fun there, but I digress

We need Engine Optimizations in the pipeline and we need to be kept in the know on it. I suggest a weekly community podcast of some sort where the Community management team can keep us updated as to whats going on in Development.

Its funny you stand there for a sec and 50-60% of someones armor starts popping; looks pretty good but then you notice the other half looks like your playing the game in low; especially on sith an BH armors I notice this. It just looks like crap....Like nothings loading. I knew I wasn't crazy lol. (Then again could just be a fleet thing) The game does look worse then it did. And now I see it everywhere I look after reading this. I might be jumping on the witch hunt train now; but I swear it looked better before last patch. Tons of popping now...

Hey BioWare Team, did you read this??

This is the result of what you've done. Now we are not even trusting the slightest bit anymore and start REALLY looking for every little crack in the wall. That is the result of ignoring high fidelity needs of PC customers. It takes a lot out of the magic does it not? And whilst at it: What's up with the bleeding green lighsources creating these weird tent like green/yellow planes and stuff? Really bad in Anchorhead as example! And what's up with me having to always tab in and out of the client after travelling on the galaxy map to regain full FPS?

And what's up with sound sources popping in and out as if the client only allows like 16 voices????? Everybody talks about gfx. But this needs tune up too. BAAAAAAAADLY actually. I say it again: We do not require new content-we need what we have, fixed and working and then move on. I say this since I believe you will need all resources available to make these fixes happen in a VERY SHORT TIME please.

Plus keep in mind, that no matter what content you may be working on it will only be good if there is enough players to play the game and team up with and I have the feeling we/you are loosing customers over these issues on a daily basis.

I am not to speculate what may be the reason for this or that and quite frankly it's not my job nor my hobby to know-my hobby is SWTOR deluxe-what I have is SWTOR 2nd hand-well that's how it feels to me at times.

Edited by mArchangel