This que is horrible

Babyduck

I didn't think I would get in today, and was a wee tad bummed about it. I did get in, and it was worth the worry. Even if you ordered really late and only get 2 days you will still have a very large head start on the public that floods in on the 20th.

I know it blows right now, but it is gonna get better.

Thanks for sharing that with us nonTOR players soon to be Tor players. hehehe

Grats :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my third launch of a MMO and I must say it is by far the worst that I have experienced. I do not like the mushroom treatment I feel we are being given. They should have given us some clue of when to expect to get invited rather then have us sit in limbo for seven days possibly. This is a terrible way to treat customers.

Thank you for the bump but unless you have some thing relevant to add to this discussion please refrain from posting in this thread.

Don't you think they know what they're doing? I bet you they're not doing this because they want to treat us bad. When they put SW: ToR out for Pre-Order, so many people pre-ordered at once that the servers got a huge lag spike and therefor they are letting people in, in waves, so that they can easier check that the servers are stable all the way through. And also, they originally had 5 days of early access that you MAY have come into but they increased it to 7 days so you will probably get in with 4-5 games left before official release and hope the game doesn't crash! ;P. In the meanwhile, why don't you just take some arrows to the knee?

They are letting people on 8-12 pst. Come the 20th this option will not exist. This is pretty useless other than a burn in period for the servers.

Edit: Unless of course they are only expecting 100k in sales come the 20th. In which case this game won't be around long.

Don't you think they know what they're doing? I bet you they're not doing this because they want to treat us bad. When they put SW: ToR out for Pre-Order, so many people pre-ordered at once that the servers got a huge lag spike and therefor they are letting people in, in waves, so that they can easier check that the servers are stable all the way through. And also, they originally had 5 days of early access that you MAY have come into but they increased it to 7 days so you will probably get in with 4-5 games left before official release and hope the game doesn't crash! ;P. In the meanwhile, why don't you just take some arrows to the knee?
Edited by Gfredx

Their

There

They're

.... Their house is on fire.

.... There is a house on fire.

.... They're QQing because their house is on fire over there.

You know this falls on deaf ears ..don't you? I mean even the thing that they are complaining about they can't get that right either..

It's a queue, not a que. :)

They are letting people on 8-12 pst. Come the 20th this option will not exist. This is pretty useless other than a burn in period for the servers.

Edit: Unless of course they are only expecting 100k in sales come the 20th. In which case this game won't be around long.

Wait, can you state that differently? They are letting people on from 8 pm to 12 pm pacific time? Is that what you're saying? Tonight?

Sorry it is late, and I am doped up on NyQuil. Have to love colds. I meant their window of invites seem to be 08:00 am-12:00 pm pacific standard time. A mere 4 hours a day.

Wait, can you state that differently? They are letting people on from 8 pm to 12 pm pacific time? Is that what you're saying? Tonight?

Well being there are around 900K that I saw so far in Grandmaster's calculations that were on this thread, I doubt that the game will fizzle that quick. Reason number 1: There are a crap ton of Star Wars fans, all over the world. That right there, would keep it alive, methinks.

And I don't know where you get your info from in regards to only 100,000 at launch.

Plus, it's not the retail boxes that keep a game going and alive anyways..its the monthly subscriptions. Retail boxes, from what I understand help recoup "some" of the expense of developpment...but the publisher eventually wants to be paid back and plus wages, overhead..all that needs to be paid for.

It's too early to be a Doomsayer..you don't have anything to go on. hehehe

I would be happy if they were working 16 hours a day. Instead we have some fat state workers that use to work for the road crew. 1-2 working with 10-12 gawkers for 4 hours a day. There should be no real surprises at this point. Especially considering how lightly they are stressing the servers.

8pm - 12pm is a really long time. lol.. thats. wait. i have to do math.. a long time. 16 hours

Sorry it is late, and I am doped up on NyQuil. Have to love colds. I meant their window of invites seem to be 08:00 am-12:00 pm pacific standard time. A mere 4 hours a day.

Hmmm four hours, well..I am sure they didn't just pull that time out of a hat and say let's do this for sh!!s and giggles? I believe they are a little more serious and organized than that.

I would be happy if they were working 16 hours a day. Instead we have some fat state workers that use to work for the road crew. 1-2 working with 10-12 gawkers for 4 hours a day. There should be no real surprises at this point. Especially considering how lightly they are stressing the servers.

Uh fat "STATE" workers? Bioware is CANADIAN. From Alberta, Canada.

They seem to like that number when it comes to waves. That is the only reason I thought of it. From what I have read EU servers are dead. The chances of this being big in Asia is not great. Bioware is not the household name overseas.

Out of that 900k. There will be a certain percentage that just try new games. Others will not like it. Still yet others may quit because of this fiasco. Branding something Star Wars can help at launch. At the end of day if the community, and or game content is not there. It will just be another dead mmo.

Well being there are around 900K that I saw so far in Grandmaster's calculations that were on this thread, I doubt that the game will fizzle that quick. Reason number 1: There are a crap ton of Star Wars fans, all over the world. That right there, would keep it alive, methinks.

And I don't know where you get your info from in regards to only 100,000 at launch.

Plus, it's not the retail boxes that keep a game going and alive anyways..its the monthly subscriptions. Retail boxes, from what I understand help recoup "some" of the expense of developpment...but the publisher eventually wants to be paid back and plus wages, overhead..all that needs to be paid for.

It's too early to be a Doomsayer..you don't have anything to go on. hehehe

Most likely some businessman that has no real foundation in IT made this decision. When the suits make a decision in technology rarely does it make sense. It is scary how many corporations even those that technology related are run by people that are clueless of the technology they provide.

Hmmm four hours, well..I am sure they didn't just pull that time out of a hat and say let's do this for sh!!s and giggles? I believe they are a little more serious and organized than that.

They seem to like that number when it comes to waves. That is the only reason I thought of it. From what I have read EU servers are dead. The chances of this being big in Asia is not great. Bioware is not the household name overseas.

Out of that 900k. There will be a certain percentage that just try new games. Others will not like it. Still yet others may quit because of this fiasco. Branding something Star Wars can help at launch. At the end of day if the community, and or game content is not there. It will just be another dead mmo.

This is nowhere a fiasco, this is a bunch of people who are in a queue, some have patience and know how it all works, and others are used to being catered to...getting what they want, when they want..yesterday.

This is not a fiasco, not by a long shot.

This is something I would call an international learning curve. :p From what I see there are myriads of people who don't get how this all works, and therefore feel justified in throwing poo at the developpers.

Once launch day happens, this will all go away as if it never happened.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/401/swtorz.png

According to their website i can play right now if i preordered am i missing something.

you have to register, you have to make an account, register and wait for an e-mailed invite...just like the rest of us. And the day you get that invite depends on when you pre-ordered.

If you pre-ordered today..it might not be til Fridayish that you can enter the game. They are staggering entrance to the game due to the thousands and thousands of pre-orders all wanting in at the same time.

Most likely some businessman that has no real foundation in IT made this decision. When the suits make a decision in technology rarely does it make sense. It is scary how many corporations even those that technology related are run by people that are clueless of the technology they provide.

I can agree with that statement, but just the same I don't know if it truly applies in this case.

If the servers can not handle a 3 day roll out. Then either there is no faith in the IT, their software, or it was a boneheaded decision by management. I work in IT, and I have been in many ramp up roll outs, and the general notion of them is to ramp up production. I can not grasp a roll out where you start stop with pretty minimal numbers compared to the base they should be expecting. I have never been involved in one where the ramp up only occurs in a 4-5 hour period with it suddenly dying off for 18 more hours.

Edit: I am leaning toward bonehead management. What truly scares me is if they are making these kinds of silly calls already. What will they do later on. It makes me want to cancel my pre-order. Or atleast drop from the CE to a standard edition if that.

I can agree with that statement, but just the same I don't know if it truly applies in this case.
Edited by Gfredx

If the servers can not handle a 3 day roll out. Then either there is no faith in the IT, their software, or it was a boneheaded decision by management. I work in IT, and I have been in many ramp up roll outs, and the general notion of them is to ramp up production. I can not grasp a roll out where you start stop with pretty minimal numbers compared to the base they should be expecting. I have never been involved in one where the ramp up only occurs in a 4-5 hour period with it suddenly dying off for 18 more hours.

Have you been involved in a rollout that encompasses thousands upon thousands of people?

Yes. Worked for Lockheed and Phillip Morris. Was it in a mmo type setting? No. In the end it is the same thing though I would suspect. Thousands of users accessing, and manipulating data.

Edit:The only time you will see such minimal rollout is when you are making sure the processes all work. Which is what beta should have been. This should be beyond beta.

Have you been involved in a rollout that encompasses thousands upon thousands of people?
Edited by Gfredx

Yes. Worked for Lockheed and Phillip Morris. Was it in a mmo type setting? No. In the end it is the same thing though I would suspect. Thousands of users accessing, and manipulating data.

I think they are attempting to avoid the servers, and login servers from being slammed so hard they go offline. I think perhaps they are trying too hard to work up to a perfect launch.

In one way I can't blame them, when you look at the history of MMO launches, alot of them have been poor experiences. Maybe they are striving for perfection, and eventually after launch is done, they might be tweaking their way of doing things to be even better.

I don't know...I just have this sense that they are probably working at it too hard.

It won't work. At the end of day unless they plan on losing users. There will be more people playing Tuesday than there is Friday. Slowly ramping up users does not touch max capacity. That is a firm number... From what I have read about zones being instanced like guild wars. There should be little to no competition there. If it is a capacity issue everyone will have the issue the 20th, and all of this will have been for not. I would suspect next week will be light though. People have families, and this will prob be a gift being so close to Christmas. IDK really starting to regret my pre-order.

As I said this is a process check or a boneheaded decision by the suits. Not real happy about it either way. Unless of course their software or staff is just horrible.

I think they are attempting to avoid the servers, and login servers from being slammed so hard they go offline. I think perhaps they are trying too hard to work up to a perfect launch.

In one way I can't blame them, when you look at the history of MMO launches, alot of them have been poor experiences. Maybe they are striving for perfection, and eventually after launch is done, they might be tweaking their way of doing things to be even better.

I don't know...I just have this sense that they are probably working at it too hard.