[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

If you had the beta client who takes more than 19.5gig and didn't mess around with any game_settings.ini maybe you could copy paste it for us ( the one in users/appdata/swtor/swtor/settings/ )

Sure thing - where can I find the folder to see the proper game size? And here's the .ini untouched:

[Renderer]

Buckets = 2

D3DFullScreen = true

Height = 1050

MeshLODQuality = 1

NativeHeight = 1050

NativeWidth = 1680

TextureAnisotropy = 16

Width = 1680

WindowX = 0

WindowY = 0

VerticalSyncState = false

SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25

doShadows = true

FarClipScale = 1.

[Game]

MoviesFolder = ..\..\Movies

edit: I'm using an ATI card so I just force AA through CCC instead of the .ini

Edited by Vaerminus

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are F2P mmo rpg on the market right now who have graphics three time better than the current swtor graphic. Zero engine is the biggest lie in gaming history... and bioware ate it all without clinching once.

Fixed.

The more I read about this the more I feel sick to my stomach from being decieved.

When I saw this game a year or so ago I said this might be a "WOW Killer" for me. Over the course of last year I built a new PC for myself. Anticipating a graphics powerhouse with flying lightsabers and blaster fire everywhere.

After months of waiting my excitement for the game came to a climax when I was invited ino the Nov. Beta. The game was beautiful. The graphics were fantastic. I loved every minute I had playing it. My wife and son loved the game, and my newly built PC ate it for breakfast. My wife loved it so much she asked me to fix her old laptop so she could play too. I told her I wasn't sure if it could handle the graphics because it was a few years old.

So I got her a new gaming laptop for Christmas.

Fast forward to a week or so ago. I started getting annoyed about how jagged the edges of everything looks and the general low detail of everything. Something looked different from the beta but i couldnt put my finger on it. I kept thinking that it was the lack of antialiasing that was causing my jagged edges in the game. I fiddled with graphics settings both in game and on my card itself to no avail. Didn't fix anything. So I came here and start reading the forums to try and find a solution. When I came across this.

What Bioware did is an insult to my intelligence. A blatant slap in the face to its consumers. Consumers who have every right to be upset by this. It is a classic example of bait and switch. If you expect and pay for a Ferrari and get a Honda instead you would be upset too. Especially after remodeling your entire garage and painting it Ferrari Red.

Class action lawsuit...maybe. For now I will be unsubscribing all 3 of my accounts until this issue is resolved fully. Maybe when it is I will consider buying a game card. To be honest Bioware had something great here with SWTOR but they may have just ruined it for themselves.

new desktop PC = $1400+

new laptop = $1000

Fixing old laptop = $150

New mouse and keyboard for my new pc = $200 (New game...gotta have a new mouse and keyboad...amirite?) :eek:

2 digital DL copies of SWTOR = $160

1 regular copy of SWTOR = $60

3 accounts = $45/mo

Bait and switch by Bioware = Priceless

Edited by KaddBayne
Spelling

Makes me wonder if they ever heard of character LoD managment, can and is done together with textures as well. would automaticly chose based upon distance, program load etc how detailed the characters, the world looks.

STO does that very nicely, and its character are not less detailed, but the textures look a lot sharper and crisper and it has no problems with lots of characters on screen at the same time.

Heck, even SWG had that feature in their engine.

After months of waiting my excitement for the game came to a climax when I was invited ino the Nov. Beta. The game was beautiful. The graphics were fantastic. I loved every minute I had playing it. My wife and son loved the game, and my newly built PC ate it for breakfast. My wife loved it so much she asked me to fix her old laptop so she could play too. I told her I wasn't sure if it could handle the graphics because it was a few years old.

Yeah... the hi-res textures weren't working in the November beta either.

just commenting on the fleet sharding point..

it is enabled i can confirm it as ive been sharded on fleet before with a few other players , very rarely , but it is indeed enabled on fleet so that is not where the issue lies, it may lie on things that large groups of players must do TOGETHER (warzones and ilum/world pvp comes to mind, everyone has to be on the same shard )

Kindof...

Terminology:

- a shard = a server. There are some shardless games (cryptic's games are shardless, and I believe Eve is).

- an instance = a zone. If the same zone exists twice on the same server it's called usually called "instancing".

- a private instance = a zone, typically created on-the-fly, that only certain people can enter. Flashpoints are a good example.

- phasing. Creating 2 or more instances of a zone in different states (e.g. one with a town destroyed, one with a town repaired), and putting players into the appropriate instance depending on gameplay reasons.

So yeah, SWTOR has "open-world" instancing.

TextureQuality = 0

in users/** name computer***/Apdata/local/SWTOR/swtor/settings/game settings.ini

Careful with INI. settings. They deleted one of my posts after I put mine up to help someone else. Sent me an e-mail stating that I'm not allowed to change my own ini. file on my computer, lol.

Careful with INI. settings. They deleted one of my posts after I put mine up to help someone else. Sent me an e-mail stating that I'm not allowed to change my own ini. file on my computer, lol.

Don't worry i'll just get a free copy of the game in 2 month...

Again, it's not going to stop me from playing, but I am rather disappointed that Bioware chose not to inform it's customer base about this rather glaring issue. Obviously it is becoming quite a big issue now, with several 1000+ page threads.

Bioware made quite a big play about how they were doing things differently, and while none of us probably expected them to re-invent the wheel, I was hoping they would take a new approach to things such as communication.

Oh well, guess not. :)

This screenshot is a bit misleading.

So is a marketing/advertisement campaign with ultra graphics then hiding the issue from the playerbase and coming up with a response after the PR spin machine gets the "bug story" together.

This is what the issue is about, another Corporation lacking honesty and integrity.

In before "graphics don't really matter" - If thats the case companies would simply use VGA graphics instead.

A note to those posting about the .ini files...I suggest removing or editing your posts. I got a warning from Customer Service the other day simply for telling someone to open their .ini file and read what was in it. Be careful.

Oh great!Bioware are hypocrites with a game full of bugs and a forum with anal moderation.HYPOCRITES!

The more I read about this the more I feel sick to my stomach from being decieved.

When I saw this game a year or so ago I said this might be a "WOW Killer" for me. Over the course of last year I built a new PC for myself. Anticipating a graphics powerhouse with flying lightsabers and blaster fire everywhere.

Fast forward to a week or so ago. I started getting annoyed about how jagged the edges of everything looks and the general low detail of everything. Something looked different from the beta but i couldnt put my finger on it. I kept thinking that it was the lasck of antialiasing that was causing my jagged edges in the game. I fiddled with graphics settings both in game and on my card itself to no avail. Didn't fix anything. So I came here and start reading the forums to try and find a solution. When I come across this.

What Bioware did is an insult to my intelligence. A blatant slap in the face to its consumers. Consumers who have every right to be upset by this. It is a classic example of bait and switch. If you expect aand pay for a Ferrari and get a Honda instead you would be upset too. Class action lawsuit...maybe. For now I will be unsubscribing all 3 of my accounts until this issue is resolved fully.

new desktop PC = $1400+

new laptop = $1000

Fixing old laptop = $150

New mouse and keyboard for my new pc = $200 (New game...gotta have a new mouse and keyboad...amirite?) :eek:

2 digital DL copies of SWTOR = $160

1 regular copy of SWTOR = $60

3 accounts = $45/mo

Bait and switch by Bioware = Priceless

LOL

Yeah I dished out 2K on a custom rig to play SWTOR and it's SVGA graphics at 1500 FPS.

So is a marketing/advertisement campaign with ultra graphics then hiding the issue from the playerbase and coming up with a response after the PR spin machine gets the "bug story" together.

This is what the issue is about, another Corporation lacking honesty and integrity.

In before "graphics don't really matter" - If thats the case companies would simply use VGA graphics instead.

well the screen shot is misleading, as my graphics no where near looks like that, that simply look as someone had their graphics set to low, not high or err the medium which is the new high.

either way my textures are sharp and crisp and looks nothing like some of these comparisons i see in or out of cutscenes. I am not saying the textures do not need improving just saying some of the screenshot appear to be misleading as someone deliberately taking low rez screen shots to try and prove something is worse than it really is.

technicaly the INI file is not your property, the same copyrights/eula agreements apply to it as it does to anything else related to SWTOR game files.

I will say this after testing this out, I definitely get more texture running the game in Windows XP than Win7 for whatever reason. My belt etc. is way more blurry using win7. Someone mentioned this last night. Still begging for scraps but w/e

technicaly the INI file is not your property, the same copyrights/eula agreements apply to it as it does to anything else related to SWTOR game files.

True.

Also true is that, practically, the euros they're counting are mine...and i've bought what they've advertised, in high quality and shiny textures... :)

well the screen shot is misleading, as my graphics no where near looks like that, that simply look as someone had their graphics set to low, not high or err the medium which is the new high.

either way my textures are sharp and crisp and looks nothing like some of these comparisons i see in or out of cutscenes. I am not saying the textures do not need improving just saying some of the screenshot appear to be misleading as someone deliberately taking low rez screen shots to try and prove something is worse than it really is.

Mind putting on some higher level trooper or jedi armor and zooming in on your character? Take a SS and if you have sharp textures, I'll eat my keyboard.

True.

Also true is that, practically, the euros they're counting are mine...and i've bought what they've advertised, in high quality and shiny textures... :)

I agree about the texture things as i said previously my point about it is that people seem to be misleading on how bad it actually is. My textures are no where near like some of these screenshots i see and i've done no ini modding so either i'm one of the few that don't have the muddy textures are there is a few people out there taking screenshot of low rez graphic settings claiming them to be high or it is a bug affecting some but not others.

I'm not going to get into the discussion about the marketing, but people posting the worst screenshots they can find to prove their point is just silly.

Graphics do matter, to me. I'm not denying the issue exists, but (on my computer anyway) it doesn't look quite as bad as some people are claiming. I'm not thrilled about it either, but since SR and his team have posted that they're working on a solution, I'm ok playing it like this until then.

My highest possible settings (without editing the ini):

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6914/swtor20120111hires3.jpg

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9692/swtor20120111hires4.jpg

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/769/swtor20120111hires5.jpg

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2894/hires6.jpg

My playable settings:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6136/swtor20120111playable1.jpg

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/8943/swtor20120111playable2.jpg

Reflections before and after:

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/2545/swtor20120111normal.jpg

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8915/swtor20120111reflection.jpg

Edited by daemian