The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

I'm sorry, but graphics of this quality are simply unnacceptable for a game released in 2011.

SWTOR -2011 :

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GGEALQq9mlM/Tt-pkr7RjbI/AAAAAAAAGRM/fb0xrJWPMwc/s1600/swtor+Sith+Inquisitor+pvp+armor.jpg

Tribes 2: 2001:

http://www2.fileplanet.com/images/140000/140247ss_sm2.jpg

Absolutely unacceptable.

To all the idiots saying "graphics don't matter"; I think people can agree that being able to see detail in the world and especially your character would help with immersion and feeling a connection to the world.

To the real people; we know graphics DO matter to a point, and the game will never sell with graphics this bad.

Come on now, compare apples to apples. Tribes is a multiplayer game, yes. True. However, there are only a set number of armor types, models, and textures in Tribes 2... only a set number of weapon types, models and textures/effects... and relatively small "arena" environments.

If Bioware had to only get PVP arenas working well and looking great... they could perhaps have more leeway with how the engine works. But this engine drives every part of the game, solo to Ops to Flashpoints to PVP to the cutscenes. That's a lot bigger than a collection of Tribes 2 levels.

SWTOR, and any MMO, has to have every class' spell effects display recognizably, plus their armor, animations, any visual indicators... and it all has to happen right in a variety of environments big and small. The scale here is much larger than Tribes 2.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by Kashaan

This is what I've been saying for pages and pages now.

Perhaps the OP can add this suggestion to the first page so it's more accessible to BW to see?

To Bioware: Please add one of the following two functions:

1) An option to use High-res textures for just your character and your party members/compaions

2) An option to use High-res textures for the first 20-ish character models rendered.

I think that would placate a lot of people and would be a great [temporary] fix. Not to mention it wouldn't take long to code and implement either.

agreed , just fix what i have to look at 100% the time and id be placated enough to wait on the rest

and tbh all, I am mostly upset about the fact iw as told if i reinstall after jan 4th it would fix this, then lied to and told it was never meant to be implemented and would only be used in cut scenes, and if somebody ahdnt blown this forum up they would have treied to pass off medium as high liek they are doign on the test server. If they hadnt pulled this shisty crap, I wouldnt have gotten upset, If they ahdnt made me reinstall 2 times tryign to make soemthign work they said would, i wouldnt have gotten upset, and if they would stop calling high res cut scenes cinematics to cover their rear ends i wouldnt have gotten upset. But this is become a major fiasco and its disapointing me, that with all the other bugs and things liek lack of companion story lines working, still no fix on wispering or inviting to group from guild, still no way to add guildies not in yet to see when they come online so i can invite them to guild and my missions i bought for crew missions disapearing in the last week that were purple and higher level while the ones i bought a week before that are still there is making me insane. and ruining my game experience.

Idm the bugs, i know they will get fixed, but do not insult my inteligence and lei to me and try to pull the wool over my eyes, that pisses me off.

So at the very least do what i quoted above, and let me at least look at my own charcter/companion in high res so i dotn feel totally falsely advertised to here please and do it b4 the renewal dates for most so we can keep this game going good, and my goodness don't lie to me again sayign it is fixed then sayign we never intended it then acting like the medium is the new high. seriously

edit because it misquoted what i clicked to quote

Edited by CriDaDimon

Hate to say it but I would like to know as well. With my new 800 dollar computer bought for SWTOR at this point I am looking at damage control. I bet I could run that game on full graphics settings..and I have not played it. Would really appreciate it ^^

Right except I built a new comp for BF3. Looking at TOR previews and such I was not worried in the slightest about being able to run it, and it runs too fast have to turn on V-sync, but these textures on MAIN CHARACTERS? I cannot deal with not in a sub based game no way, no how

Come on now, compare apples to apples. Tribes is a multiplayer game, yes. True. However, there are only a set number of armor types, models, and textures in Tribes 2... only a set number of weapon types, models and textures/effects... and relatively small "arena" environments.

If Bioware had to only get PVP arenas working well and looking great... they could perhaps have more leeway with how the engine works. But this engine drives every part of the game, solo to Ops to Flashpoints to PVP to the cutscenes. That's a lot bigger than a collection of Tribes 2 levels.

SWTOR, and any MMO, has to have every class' spell effects display recognizably, plus their armor, animations, any visual indicators... and it all has to happen right in a variety of environments big and small. The scale here is much larger than Tribes 2.

.. 2001 vs 2011.

Lets try another comparrison then. Asheron's call 2. From 2002. A VERY large MMO. http://funingames.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ac2.jpg

I'm aware the environment doesn't look as good as SWTOR; but its close. The armor textures look better imo. And thats just random low level junk gear.

Edited by Corrvan

I'm sorry but you can't choose an engine for this particular project that is capable of looking great, and subsequently ask all of the modelers to spend time making awesome textures, then say "I'm sorry, there's performance issues if we use hi res textures".

That's completely utter ******** and it pains me to say that you probably should kick whoever proposed using this particular engine in the balls many years ago. But only THAT is an if. So either someone's lying - because it's the engine or the code. And if it's both.....well....might as well scrap the game now.

If it's capable of it - make it do it - and fix the code so it's not crappily optimized and so horrendously resource intensive.

If it's not capable - looks like the game already failed - no ifs, ands, or buts about it. In 2012 people want a game that looks like a game from 2012. Everything else is a novelty and will wear off.

Edited by Jessicayla

Look the "high res" textures on armor are pretty basic and plain. Please don't act like they are some intricate korean mmo armor textures. They are actually basic 2002 stuff at best design wise. So let's not get all out of hand and act like they will "cripple" a 2012 game of any decent make.

Personally don't care about the intricacy (it's a ROBE for chissakes!) but I want them at least to look clean and focused which they do not.

What incentive do they have? I won't pay to play thier game anymore, simple as that. And I'm not talking about a 'Q1' fix I'm talking a fix or at least a real plan to fix it by the end of the month. It also has nothing to do with graphical fidelity which can be translated into a number of things, it has to do with hi-res textures being in the game or not being in the game.

Also nowhere, ANYWHERE, does it say they're working to put hi-res textures back in the game.....ANYWHERE.

"The first major changes will be in our next major Game Update, which will have the version number of 1.2. Those changes will bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once. In other words, for those screenshots of your character in their best gear, you should see a marked improvement.

Other potential changes are being discussed right now – as I said, many of which are similar to changes suggested by many of you. As usual, you’ll see these sorts of changes on our Public Test Server before they make it into the live game. Right now we cannot commit to a live date for the 1.2 Game Update, but it will be within Q1 2012. "

There you go.

.. 2001 vs 2011.

Lets try another comparrison then. Asheron's call 2. From 2002. A VERY large MMO. http://funingames.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ac2.jpg

I'm aware the environment doesn't look as good as SWTOR; but its close. The armor textures look better imo. And thats just random low level junk gear.

wow.....that's 2002?

Man. Seriously, who the hell's decision was it to use this engine that supposedly causes so much performance issues? They admitted it themselves.

What game is that, I'm gonna go play that.

Theses are some of my chars in AION, a Korean mmo released in the US and EU in 2010

It has a bit of grinding but not that much and it has some amazing graphics, character creation is so indepth with so many options,

also as you can see character detail and armor design and graphics are very very good.

There's also a free trial.

I'm not sure if i can post a link for another mmo here, so just google: Aion Online.

I'm sorry but you can't choose an engine for this particular project that is capable of looking great, and subsequently ask all of the modelers to spend time making awesome textures, then say "I'm sorry, there's performance issues if we use hi res textures".

That's completely utter ******** and it pains me to say that you probably should kick whoever proposed using this particular engine in the balls many years ago. So either someone's lying - currently Bioware, or whoever said the engine is capable of what is desired a long time ago.

If it's capable of it - make it do it - and fix the code so it's not crappily optimized and so horrendously resource intensive.

If it's not capable - looks like the game already failed - no ifs, ands, or buts about it. In 2012 people want a game that looks like a game from 2012. Everything else is a novelty and will wear off.

I agree. Rip out the Hero Engine and find one that works. Promise to do that within 18 months and I'll put up with blurry textures until then.

What I can't wait to see is if/when they implement higher textures, how are they going to address the option?

They're removing medium as an option.

All the stupid people that are playing the game currently on "high," thinking it's working correctly because they don't visit the forums and thus don't realize there's an issue, are going to get bumped down to medium and attempt to raise their textures to the new "high" and their computers won't be able to handle it.

So they'll have to add it as a "new" "ultra" texture setting.

We'll have

Low

high

ultra.

.. 2001 vs 2011.

Oh wow, nostalgia. Was I the only one annoyed that seemingly every mob in that game had a ranged attack? No kiting for you, ever!

Edited by Adamant

"The first major changes will be in our next major Game Update, which will have the version number of 1.2. Those changes will bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once. In other words, for those screenshots of your character in their best gear, you should see a marked improvement.

Other potential changes are being discussed right now – as I said, many of which are similar to changes suggested by many of you. As usual, you’ll see these sorts of changes on our Public Test Server before they make it into the live game. Right now we cannot commit to a live date for the 1.2 Game Update, but it will be within Q1 2012. "

There you go.

Can you bold the part that says "we are working to implement the hi-resolution textures seen in the beta and several gameplay previews" I seem to have missed it somehow and read that statement very carefully probably a dozen times now.

There you go.

I posted that quote for him earlier.

So basically there game engine is worthless. Player rendering should not cause so many problems and performance issues with the client, pushing our computers way harder than they need to be, iv played plenty of mmo's with way better graphics and far more characters to render with zero performance issues.

Glad they FINALLY ADMIT IT.

The reasoning "discovered that using [...] 'maximum resolution' textures on in-game characters during normal gameplay could cause severe performance issues, even on powerful PCs" is complete garbage.

WHY oh WHY would you keep people with high end PCs from using the high resolution textures?

It's EVERY PERSON'S DECISION what textures to use for crying out loud! IF it's lagging, lower the resolution to what it is now! People with top notch PCs CAN run the game at the highest resolution, it was shown and tested in beta!

This is like locking Crysis options to Medium/Low because "most people can't run it at the highest resolution!"

There you go.

If they had said that statement in beta along with "Guys, the textures and quality of graphics in-game that you see in the screenshots used in advertising are not going to be immediately available upon launch due to some performance issues that we have observed. When we launch we will have two settings: Low and High, with High being the Medium setting you have seen in beta" then you would not be seeing the reaction you are seeing now. The uproar isn't so much over being impatient over not having high res now. I think it's more the way this has all come about.

Once something like that happens you will invariably get people who then question ever single thing you say after that. Don't know that you can blame them.

There you go.

I don't know about you, but I didn't preorder this game, and even if I did I sure as hell didn't preorder it for March 2012.

What I can't wait to see is if/when they implement higher textures, how are they going to address the option?

They're removing medium as an option.

All the stupid people that are playing the game currently on "high," thinking it's working correctly because they don't visit the forums and thus don't realize there's an issue, are going to get bumped down to medium and attempt to raise their textures to the new "high" and their computers won't be able to handle it.

So they'll have to add it as a "new" "ultra" texture setting.

We'll have

Low

high

ultra.

Are you the pokemon Slowpoke? They've already removed medium....they even said it in the dev blog - OF WHICH MOST OF THESE THREADS ARE ABOUT.