The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is:

- In game medium=high textures are LOW quality in any other MMO, even the f2p ones.

Forsaken has better graphics, Allods too...

That's why we are SO MAD. If medium=high setting had GOOD graphics, that will be ALMOST ok, but we get TEKKEN2 instead... :mad:

Farmville characters have better resolution than characters in ToR. That's the sad part.

If nobody cares, why is this the third continuance of the thread? If nobody cares, why is EAware sending in the spin machine to try to calm people down about the issue?

You're right, nobody cares.:rolleyes:

Out right lie. Please just stop.

Games are about having fun.

If you HONESTLY think the resolution is not worth your time, then leave.

Farmville is a ****** looking game, but it has more players than any game ever.

If your so called resolution problems make it unenjoyable for you, then LEAVE. Quit whining. You're 1 person out of millions. No one cares about you attention wh**ing.

My resolution looks way better than most of the screenshots posted here & runs fine, except in warzones, I have to turn it down a notch.

Go back to Warcraft if it seriously pisses you off that much.

Farmville isn't a AAA game by any means. Also it blows a**, so don't compare SWTOR to it. It barely qualifies as a game.

The point is, you don't release an MMO in 2011/2012 with textures this low. Like I said earlier, WoW implemented hi-res textures mid-wrath. If they can do it in a game that's been out for YEARS, then bioware can do it too. There is no excuse.

Please pull your head out of your a** for a moment and realize that many of us are fans of this game and recognize that this isn't okay for a game of this pedigree to have textures like this.

SWTOR is a solid, fun experience, but all these bugs and terrible design decisions related to optimization (which was done awfully in the first place) is really making me question the future this game has.

Edited by Beslley

You see how in the picture you posted theres no foliage in the distance?

And it will literally grow as you walk, perpetually. Even with grass quality,ground clutter, and clip distance on max.

Why no one complains about this is beyond me. It's atrocious. Pathetic.

The low res textures are awful. Then theres Feeling like I'm walking around a giant Chia pet growing in fast forward, while questing on a lush planet.

The game engine in general, just all around, is not indicative of a 2012 AAA title

It's simple draw distance, the engine does not draw foliage until you're close enough to actually see it. Hopefully this will be addressed to as anyone that can handle high setting can also handle a much greater draw distance. GTA games are a good example as you can change the draw distance to miles if you wish, and you can handle it, again it's them assuming what's best for us.

I'm curious as to what people are actually seeing in the game. Here are a few shots taken from my computer today, best viewed at 100%.

Warning, these are big files.

The first 4 are captured at the max quality I think my computer will display.

This with all settings on max, and I'm using Catalyst to force 16 AF, 8xEQ morphological AA, tessellation, and supersampling....

Don't use morphological AA, it blurs textures... use Edge Detect w/multisample.

Don't worry about tesselation, since this is a dx9 game.

Depending on your lcd and resolution, you might not be able to see the difference between 8x and 16x AF.

Also, at others... setting your LOD to a large negative bias will introduce texture shimmering and moire effects into a moving scene. Looks horrible.

Edited by Daemonjax

It's simple draw distance, the engine does not draw foliage until you're close enough to actually see it. Hopefully this will be addressed to as anyone that can handle high setting can also handle a much greater draw distance. GTA games are a good example as you can change the draw distance to miles if you wish, and you can handle it, again it's them assuming what's best for us.

Thanks but I know full well what draw distance is. And TOR's is pathetic.

i chose max draw distance and get quality indicitive of low, in my book.

Same thing with textures. Chose high, and get ....this.

Edited by Your_dominus

Out right lie. Please just stop.

Yeah, no one cares about PSX quality textures on 1000$+ rigs, that is why there are almost 500 PAGES of posts about it...

I will repeat it for the dumbs

500 pages

PSX textures

50$+15$/Month game

False Advertisement

This needs a hotfix NOW, january 15th the furthest t.h.

Age of Conan another heavily instanced MMO like Tor, and it came out in 2008 has yet to be matched by any other MMO currently out,in textures or anything else why is that? how could this game have been released in 2011 looking worse?? HOW?? WHO FOCUS GROUPED THIS IDEA??? HOW WAS THIS GIVEN A GREEN LIGHT FOR LAUNCH?? Edited by Jedipwnsauce

You see how in the picture you posted theres no foliage in the distance?

And it will literally grow as you walk, perpetually. Even with grass quality,ground clutter, and clip distance on max.

Why no one complains about this is beyond me. It's atrocious. Pathetic.

The low res textures are awful. Then theres Feeling like I'm walking around a giant Chia pet growing in fast forward, while questing on a lush planet.

The game engine in general, just all around, is not indicative of a 2012 AAA title

OMG, I was wondering if anyone noticed this besides me.

First time I really noticed it was on the flat open grassy areas but it was particularly egregious on Belsavis.

Grass would literally pop into view ten feet from my character. And I'm playing on max settings -_-

Basically, I feel like this whole game needs to be repotimized because this isn't cutting it. I'd have gladly waited for the game if I knew this was what was in store.

Thanks but I know full well what draw distance is. And TOR's is pathetic.

i chose max draw distance and get quality indicitive of low, in my book.

I think TOR's draw distance on foliage is a little low actually. Distant objetcs seem fine, but grass is really bad. I would like to see more options to tweak how much foliage is displayed and how far it can be displayed. That way we could turn down overall foliage but make it go farther.

While bioware may actually do this... I don't think i can till April 29th... Which is when bioware will likely release the patch. If this had be truthfully told in the first place.... I wouldn't have minded. The fact that we had a patch that "fixed" the problem and a statement that had a PR spin.... I don't think I can trust bioware anymore.

I have a feeling that if I did continue to sub.... April ... A patch would be released that would half fix the problem and worsen other features.... Because of the bad hero engine or how bad your developers seem to be over there. The truth is bioware...i don't think I can trust you anymore

Q1= April? LOL, sure. Keep dreaming.

I don't know what you people want. You're the worst. If the CM doesn't answer: You complain.

If the CM answers: You pick apart every thing he says, make up crazy conspiracy theories that get debunked, and complain.

I'm ashamed in this community. What incentive do dev teams have to communicate with you if you're too caught up in calling them liars at every term. We never had a patch that fixed anything, because the only bug here, and the only reason this thread exists, is the bug where medium is still a selectable option.

But of course, if low and high were the only options at launch, people would ***** at no medium settings.

My sub is still there, and will be there until the game dies. I love the game more than any MMO in the last 5 years, and I'll be playing it for a long, long time.

P.S. This texture issue is virtually unheard of in game. I asked a few zones full of people earlier, and the response in ALL cases was "What graphic issue?"

You're just a minority, if you're angry about this to the point where you'll unsub.

You have been given TWO assurances that this is being worked on, and an ETA of Q1 2012. That is sometime in the next 90 days. There are more serious issues that need to be worked on before graphical fidelity is addressed.

If you're going to unsub, unsub, but we've been promised a fix, with a timeframe. Wouldn't it make sense to come back after that if it really is fixed?

Ok, i was gonna say how you guys a mad, as i have never played a MMO before other then this, and thought it looked ok up till now, but after seeing the pics of the beta of this game, and how it looks now, WOW the is a huge diffrance..

But i still didnt really mind until i seen how good other MMo GFX look compared to this, and most of them are much older O_o, now i feel like i should of prob got another MMo in the first place :( , i feel ripped off, if this hits gaming mags and sites i can really see bioware and meanly EA getting alot of backlash..

Bioware you have always been one of my fav companys KOTOR 1+2 was to of the best games i ever played, and i hope you can fix this, along with making the game more open ended in your choices etc.

Like you shouldnt ask a person to pick a side at the start, let them play the game and going by their choices change their side to good or bad etc, that would be more my annoyance lol :D .

But still as long as you keep working on things and fixing them, i am really enjoying myself, so please keep up the good work :D

Edited by McDGray

Age of Conan another heavily instanced MMO like Tor, and it came out in 2008 has yet to be matched by any other MMO currently out,in textures or anything else why is that? how could this game have been released in 2011 looking worse?? HOW?? WHO FOCUS GROUPED THIS IDEA??? HOW WAS THIS GIVEN A GREEN LIGHT FOR LAUNCH??

You didn't play AoC at launch, obviously. It's the only game where I literally took the box it came in, and through it into the trash without saying a word on the forums. Yes, it was that bad.

Edited by Daemonjax

That screenshot is from a cinematic in-game. As stated, cinematic scenes use high resolution textures because we have control over how many characters are rendered on-screen at once. This is how the game was always intended to look in cinematics. We did not 'remove' high resolution textures - they were always in the game for use in cinematics.

With that said, thank you for all of your responses. We understand everyone's desires around this issue, and although it's not going to be an overnight fix, as mentioned we're working on addressing this. Many of the suggestions you have made are similar to potential changes the development team is investigating.

I rounded up the development team once more and had another discussion, and wanted to update you with a better timeline and some more precise details on what we're doing right now.

The first major changes will be in our next major Game Update, which will have the version number of 1.2. Those changes will bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once. In other words, for those screenshots of your character in their best gear, you should see a marked improvement.

Other potential changes are being discussed right now – as I said, many of which are similar to changes suggested by many of you. As usual, you’ll see these sorts of changes on our Public Test Server before they make it into the live game. Right now we cannot commit to a live date for the 1.2 Game Update, but it will be within Q1 2012.

Q1 2012. That's March. That's something I can work with. The results better be good. Thank you for the followup.

OMG, I was wondering if anyone noticed this besides me.

First time I really noticed it was on the flat open grassy areas but it was particularly egregious on Belsavis.

Grass would literally pop into view ten feet from my character. And I'm playing on max settings -_-

Basically, I feel like this whole game needs to be repotimized because this isn't cutting it. I'd have gladly waited for the game if I knew this was what was in store.

And look at the ground where there is no foliage.

Tiling. Horrible, horrible tiling,lol.( a repeating pattern, in a grid)

I just dont get how they musta said " great work guys, it's ready for retail"

Edited by Your_dominus

Age of Conan another heavily instanced MMO like Tor, and it came out in 2008 has yet to be matched by any other MMO currently out,in textures or anything else why is that? how could this game have been released in 2011 looking worse?? HOW?? WHO FOCUS GROUPED THIS IDEA??? HOW WAS THIS GIVEN A GREEN LIGHT FOR LAUNCH??

If I had to guess they put way too much resources into voice acting.

Yeah, no one cares about PSX quality textures on 1000$+ rigs, that is why there are almost 500 PAGES of posts about it...

I will repeat it for the dumbs

500 pages

PSX textures

50$+15$/Month game

False Advertisement

This needs a hotfix NOW, january 15th the furthest t.h.

Right, let's fix a minority issue over:

Crashes

Inability to join WZs

Class balance

PVP Brackets

Progression blockers

Broken loot

Broken raids

This is isn't even a bug, it's a suggestion issue. It's being worked on. What more do you want? It isn't an on/off switch.