I fail to understand......

lolwow

If Blizzard can make a game run and look good on such low hardware, then with TOR"S requirements we should be getting better results and performance then we currently have.

And with that, I invite you to go visit the WoW forums and count up how many threads have been made on how lousy their graphics look and how unsatisified some players are with their FPS, etc.. Be sure to maximize "Calculator" first.

Of course, let's ignore allllllllll the different hardware people have, their internet connections, etc..... THAT couldn't possibly have anything to do with some of the problems with performance. :rolleyes:

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phenom II 980 3.7ghz

8gb ddr3 1600

570gtx

I can max both games out and do it flawlessly but there close and I'm not seeing a justification on bioware's side of things as to why they need double the system to pump out a negligable difference in performance and graphics. Say what you guys want, I don't like that, means Bioware was extremely lazy. So how they going to treat this game in the long run?

Rift and many other games make a mistake going for the realistic style of graphics. They'll look terribly dated that much faster than stylized graphics. For example, pick up some FPS games from 2007-2008 and their graphics now look hugely dated.

You're trying to cloud the issue. The fact of the matter is is that Rift clearly has a much better engine than this. Clearly miles better. The downside is that the Trion team don't give a damn about their subscribers. Thats Rifts downfall.

While i agree with you that TOR looks MUCH better than WoW....TOR has as much cartoony graphics as WoW does.

I hated it at first too....though their art style has grown on me.

This^

They chose the art style on purpose because it will age well, just like WoW. Imagine if WoW tried to go for realism with their graphics. It would look so terrible today.

Rift and many other games make a mistake going for the realistic style of graphics. They'll look terribly dated that much faster than stylized graphics. For example, pick up some FPS games from 2007-2008 and their graphics now look hugely dated.

BioShock

http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/bioshock-shoot-splicer.jpg

Edited by Chevex

Both games are stylized graphics. And it is easy to have differing opinions on the likes and dislikes of the style.

Quality wise, SWTOR uses higher poly counts, however right now the textures are broken. So when the textures get fixed you will definately see a huge difference between the two. Right now the quality of the forms are better on SW - but the textures look better on wow.

All of this aside.

All this talk about what it takes and won't take and why it is broken and yadda yadda yadda is a bunch of hooey.

For some folks the game runs fine on "low end" machines. For some the game runs like crap on "high end" machines.

This very fact - that the problem is not universal; means the issues are bugs in the optimization and portability across cards/drivers. They will get fixed; to say "this game runs like crap and sucks" is a false statement. "This game runs like crap on my machine for now" is much more accurate.

;)

Here, I reduzed the resolution of the TOR image to the exact same resolution as the WoW image.

WoW: http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/9749/worldofwarcraftcataclyss.jpg

TOR (same rez): http://www.codetunnel.com/content/images/samerez.jpg

as opposed to this high rez image:

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/3221/screenshot2012011112442.jpg

Still not the same as taking both shots on the same rez rig but it's better. Look how much better swtor looks simply because it's lower rez image.

Next time do a little more investigating before just throwing up biased comparisons. A better comparison would be two high resolution images taken in both games on the same machine.

Not to mention the fact that the wolfy things entire 'skirt' is about 3 surfaces covered in one 'flat' image. There is no real depth to all the detail on it. Sure some of the characters in TOR have really obvious 'flat' images (like a doctor I saw with pens in his pocket that wrapped around the curve of his chest) but there is nothing like that in Tor.

BW has a very poor infastruture set up. Anyone who has gamed for years and see that they made a lot of stardard mistakes in setting up their enviroment. The issues with this game are decades old and have been a non-issue for sometime.

Also, the OP is right given that this game it completely instanced in everyway, more so than even DDO, it should run on a smart phone.

No these graphics are no better than WOW, they are 2004 graphics in the MMO gen.

I have gamed for years and learned to enjoy a game.

CRAZY CONCEPT I KNOW

and this discussion does? :p

Yes. Because in a discussion you can actually discuss technical facts. For instance, the fact that you were born and raised underneath a mossy rock. This technical aspect of your upbringing has caused basic logic to malfunction in your brain. This is a matter of fact rather than opinion and is a valid point as it relates to this discussion.

Edited by Chevex

Yes. Because in a discussion you can actually discuss technical facts about the two games. Were you born under a rock?

well i've been following this discussion and all i got from it was that either you like the warcraft3 styled graphics or the ME meets KOTOR styled graphics.

i say lets democracy win this fight. especially because im on the winning site...

warcraft sucks... ha!

well i've been following this discussion and all i got from it was that either you like the warcraft3 styled graphics or the ME meets KOTOR styled graphics.

i say lets democracy win this fight. especially because im on the winning site...

warcraft sucks... ha!

Jannickj

Building straw man arguments since 2010...

Edited by Chevex

If SWTOR is so great, why all you gomers all sitting in the forums. Bored much? Ya, thought so -lamers.

I'm at work, can't play atm.

What's lame is if someone is trolling the forums just to say how much they hate the game.

actually this is my first time... but hey, works for me.

even though after reading your little wikipedia thing... i didnt really do that... did you? read it?

either you like the warcraft3 styled graphics or the ME meets KOTOR styled graphics.

You embellish and muddle the opinions of others just enough so that it misrepresents their true position by adding descriptors that were never mentioned and applying your own bias to these positions, while still making it look as though you are refuting the original position. That my friend, is a straw man.

It's like this:

Me: "Both art styles are stylized so that they age better than more realistic styles. However, in comparing the two I believe the presence of a newer underlying engine with greater system requirements and future improvements and optimizations will give SWTOR the edge in the long run."

You: "So either you like warcraft3 styled graphics or the ME meets KOTOR styled graphics."

How does your statement in any way represent my original argument? You restate my argument in a different way so that you can make it sound silly and thus easily refute it. Basically you change the position you are arguing against to make it easier to argue against it.

Edited by Chevex

TORs graphics look much better than WoWs.

WoWs cartoon graphics give the illusion of them looking better than they really are.

Another thing, I'm pretty sure TOR isn't optimized very well... they have a pretty bad engine.

Illusion is the purpose of computer graphics.

If you're graphics give the "illusion" of being better than another game's and you managed to do it with less then that's like a double beatdown on their art team.

How a game made in 2004 that runs on a dual core processor, 2gb of ram, and an ati 3850, looks better with all max settings than a game just released late 2011.

I have no idea which game you're talking about, but if it's WoW, you must really like the art direction. It's certainly not the graphics, which are so inferior to this game's that there's no comparison.

Considering you felt compelled to make a thread about YOUR completely subjective opionion, I'll respond in kind: I think SWTOR's graphics are beautiful and much better than WoW's. Is this the reply you were looking for?

In other news, I prefer thin crust pizza to deepdish.

I agree, except the part about the pizza, thin crust is for n00bz!

I agree, except the part about the pizza, thin crust is for n00bz!

Depends on my mood. Sometimes deep dish is the best and sometimes thin crust wins out. Sometimes I'm even in the mood for the terrible but delicious stuffed crust. It's a love/hate relationship.