[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Except it wasn't a reasonable response and it took them days to finally admit what has been apparently going on since release? Go ahead and leave the wool over your eyes though.

Very much this. People that accept this response from Bioware as being ok are the reason why companies feel they can get away with this.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you may remember a thread I made on the beta forums, called "Why you can't have latest cutting edge graphics in a MMO". This was explaining the exact same thing Stephen has written here.

I remember a lot of people denying it, saying "yes it is possible you dumb", even flaming at times. Some other even trying to act like technical directors, inventing fancy arguments based on a mixed bag of technical nonsense.

And now a large rictus is drawn upon my face.

I hope people will start to do their homework about technical details and difficulties depending on the game genre, before compulsively hitting that Reply button.

what a load of crap. i sat in front of a panel last year at pax east and even all the various mmo companies said they could put 1000+ people in next gen graphics in all out war on the same battlefield if they wanted to, but it was people's computers ancient *** computers who can't handle it

Edited by Threefiddie

Bioware deleted all the forum posts about those issues, so you're only gonna get people who were actually in the beta to speak about these issues.

I was only in the last few beta weekends, but I can't remember the textures looking any different, but that could have been because I wasn't paying attention to that. Still, it's really hard to say they were enabled at that point without performance issues without someone having some sort of proof.

a reasonable explanation? really? "its a MMO so its normal?" gimme a break

and thank "god" its not running on the Crytek engine, it would be much worse then now

DDO with High res client and dx10-11 Elements, is running just fine EVEN when ther loads of people around.

wow => 25 man raid, spelleffect going everywhere, Full details, no issues

Pls dont try to "justify" his poor post. All of it is fishy and you know it

Investigating and Design plan? A design plan is carfully looked at, in steps with all the design teams, so surely this is not needed for "investigation", its just Shoddy implementation, or lack off to be better

Sarcasm on Crytek engine or serious? As for CryTek engine far more superior from any other engine used in "fps" games.

How about we meet in the middle here, I think some (maybe even most?) people just want -their- character (and companion) to be using the high quality "dialog" scene textures and not the entire world as that would cause lag and I accept that.

How about Bioware just change -your- character to show at high detail and keep the atlas texturing for other characters. Maybe your entire party, which are the only people you are going to be seeing up close anyhow most of the time.

Anyone else notice they are deleting posts about in depth legal violations on this thread? There used to be a really good one at the bottom of page 22 and now it just magically disappeared...

Yep, mine was deleted in less than 2 minutes. It mentioned a class action lawsuit.

As well as the fact that every facet of game media they presented to the public, whether it was screenshots, video, or the beta, utilized those high resolution textures.

It is ILLEGAL to present a product and market it as something it is clearly not, which is what they have done here.

Seems to me if they're deleting all posts in reference to legal action - they are afraid of what may come of them, because they are guilty of exactly what they're trying to cover up. If there was no justifiable cause for legal action, what cause would they have to delete posts referencing it and pointing out exactly what illegal actions they have taken.

So now again - I really hope this isn't your final answer Mr. Reid. If the textures that every single video, screenshot, and even the beta were marketed with were simply a 'UI bug' and never intended to be used, then they should not have been used in the marketing and promotion of this game. THAT IS FALSE ADVERTISING. THAT IS ILLEGAL.

So I really hope you come up with another response for us.

Copy pastad for easy reposting.

Post deleted in 3.... 2.... 1.

Post deleted count: #3

And to anyone spouting anything about the EULA preventing people from sueing them - they don't hold up in court. An EULA can not allow the company to perform illegal actions, even if you agree to it.

seriously, go look at the last 4 forums that got closed ont his subject because the thread is to large, have u not even looked at teh screen shots seriously, did u not read what the man said, we had em, we made a mistake and nwo we cant use em, we shouldnt have released the game sayign we had them, that wa sour fault, read what the man said, theres ur proof mucheless the literally thousands of pages of proof.

I barely understand what you are saying, but I if I get you correctly, I know that they have the hi res textures. What I wanted to know was if there was proof that in beta they did not cause any performance issues with lots of people around.

So the short is, sorry our game looks like **** on purpose?

You already control every aspect of this game... Don't go to Ilum unless you're 40.

You must be dark or light, neutral wont be rewarded.

You must not be able to control anything more than your spaceships aim

We will give you 2 choices of story mode planets to go to at once, but...

You must go to the one since the other is too high

You must have your lekku hang in one way only

You must have your UI this size and position

You must use these textures because you dont know how to turn textures down if theyre too system intensive.

Could I please just get a 1 button dynamic hotbar so you can tell me what skill to use for whatever situation I'm in?

Disappointing answer. I was hoping for a vetted "this is an oversite and will be rectified soon" but got a "you can't handle the truth... err... textures."

I was really surprised the high res weren't usable for release. The game isn't even remotely close to taxing my system, so I'm not certain why this still isn't an option. What were the specs of the high end systems BW tested this on and found issues with?

I wish my trooper's armor had the fidelity of the armor in these shots up on the SWTOR site...

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/classes/trooper/62img/ss04_800x450.jpg

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/classes/trooper/62img/ss03_800x450.jpg

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/trooper/images/ss4_800x450.jpg

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/classes/trooper/62img/ss01_800x450.jpg

On the third shot, you can even make out the small details on the knee plates.

So much work put into some of these textures, it's a shame they are used for cinematic scenes only. BW artists, you have my sympathy.

Despite this issue, I still find the game to be lots of fun and don't plan on going anywhere.

Sarcasm on Crytek engine or serious? As for CryTek engine far more superior from any other engine used in "fps" games.

not gonna discuss Crytek Vs Frostbite 2 engine here, im my opinion Frostbite 2 is the superiour engine that is better optimized for PC , crytek maybe capable of higher fidelity within certain aspects, but far less optimized..... anyways back On topic

Just proving a point about the poor post we got from ....

Whoever can reach and contact Edelson McGuire should do it asap.

It needs to happen, this was bs and paranoia oh somebody might get to use what we advertised, go back to the posts about hwo the graphics are being purposefully distorted rendered in real time for copy right protection now, and thats why we cant get eprformance, go back to the 15gigs of data that was taken out, go back to the simple fact that there is no high setting and what we have is medium

go back tot he fact that video game quality for decades has been based on its video capability.

GRAPHICS ARE WHAT SELLS VIDEO GAMES AND GRAPHICS ARE THE PRODUCT, MORE ACTUAL DATA THEN THE CODING. MOST OF OUR PRODUCT IS NOT WHAT WAS ADVERTISED.

How about we meet in the middle here, I think some (maybe even most?) people just want -their- character (and companion) to be using the high quality "dialog" scene textures and not the entire world as that would cause lag and I accept that.

How about Bioware just change -your- character to show at high detail and keep the atlas texturing for other characters. Maybe your entire party, which are the only people you are going to be seeing up close anyhow most of the time.

i could live with that.

"Dont mind me, I probably haven't seen the other MMOs posted here from 2002+ that had better armor textures than this game. I still feel justified to complain about people complaining though!" Edited by Notannos
editing quote for rude

I was only in the last few beta weekends, but I can't remember the textures looking any different, but that could have been because I wasn't paying attention to that. Still, it's really hard to say they were enabled at that point without performance issues without someone having some sort of proof.

They cut them before the last few beta weekends.

Edited by Pyrolight

Disappointing answer. I was hoping for a vetted "this is an oversite and will be rectified soon" but got a "you can't handle the truth... err... textures."

I was really surprised the high res weren't usable for release. The game isn't even remotely close to taxing my system, so I'm not certain why this still isn't an option. What were the specs of the high end systems BW tested this on and found issues with?

I wish my trooper's armor had the fidelity of the armor in these shots up on the SWTOR site...

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/classes/trooper/62img/ss04_800x450.jpg

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/classes/trooper/62img/ss03_800x450.jpg

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/trooper/images/ss4_800x450.jpg

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/classes/trooper/62img/ss01_800x450.jpg

On the third shot, you can even make out the small details on the knee plates.

So much work put into some of these textures, it's a shame they are used for cinematic scenes only. BW artists, you have my sympathy.

Despite this issue, I still find the game to be lots of fun and don't plan on going anywhere.

Great post.

ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN TROOPER - http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/classes/trooper/62img/ss03_800x450.jpg

IN-GAME TROOPER - http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1466/screenshot2012011115012.jpg

Edited by carnac_fett

Darth BLURRGH

Sorry that picture is a few weeks old, when I can bother to be bored enough to log back in I'll do a shot of my Blurrified Paragon's Set.

And when I can be bothered to have so much free time that its either play TOR or throw myself off a bridge I might be arsed to post a picture of myself in Blurmaster Warleader Armor.

Or maybe even Bluronese Warleader armor some day!

Funny how all your awesome CGI movies are made by Blur Studios.....its so oxymoronic. Blur Studios making awesome detailed CGI movies for BLURRY low detail video games.