Addon request: Identify players wasting my time by not hitting spacebar

Gashers

To the OP and all who agree with him. Please post your in game name and server so that I may pre-ignore you now so that I will not have to put up with ******s like you in game.

thank you for your co-operation

Thanks for your completely original and not at all used before troll post!

More thanks for taking the time to actually read all the posts in this thread and forming said completely original post!

Have a nice day!

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think something like that would only work with the LFG interface we have now - BUT it does leave room for griefing. Lets say I was a jag off - and I flag for no content. Then I get in group and do not spam space bar.

I would then get kicked... the group is ready to go and now we are down a man, now we get to look for a replacement :(

Quite seriously, if this is a mechanical option, it should be set by the group leader. If he sets "Auto-skip Cutscene", that's just what happens.

By the same token, once someone's in the group, there should be some protection against this being changed. I'd be very irked if I joined a "Cutscene Positive" group, travelled to the destination, picked up the quests, etc, and then had the party leader change the setting. I'm sure people who dislike cutscenes would feel the same way.

Since most quests can't be repeated more than once a day, and if you added up all the time spent in cutscenes in 5 quests, it wouldn't be enough to consume the time for a sixth, I'm still not sure what's really being gained, but that's just me. I suppose I find the whole idea that a game someone voluntarily buys, then voluntarily pays a monthly fee for, is something which needs to be "gotten through" as quickly as possible, like reading a book you hate for a report, to be inherently nonsensical. (But this applies to many aspects of MMO gaming, like people who buy gold or pay for leveling services. In general, it seems, a significant fraction of MMO players actively, passionately, completely, HATE playing MMOs, and everything they ask for is ways to get them "over with" as quickly as possible... apparently so they can move on to another MMO which they will then try to "finish" while hating every single moment of their play experience...but which they pay for.)

Sorry, but this is a MMO. It's not storytime. If you want storytime do it during solo play.

GOGOGO HURI

I boot people not already at the instance ready to go in. And if they take longer than 2-3 seconds to roll on loot. And especially if they say anything in chat.

Ah yes but the result is and will ALWAYS be the same won't it? Flash points are not class specific FYI - My Consular can choose to slit someones throat or my smuggler can, either way the guy dies.

Not true, at least for BT. Off the top of my head i have encountered 3 different versions of the instance based on the choices. In most, the captain is killed. In two other versions Ive seen the captain live and in one of those versions a chest with extra loot was left at the bottom of the stairs. Luckily no one was skipping cutscenes yet or i never would have discovered that. I havent done any of the other FPs yet so i dont know about any of the others.

Thanks for your completely original and not at all used before troll post!

More thanks for taking the time to actually read all the posts in this thread and forming said completely original post!

Have a nice day!

Hey, I've got more important things to do than read to see what other people have written! I don't want to waste my time just to make reading the thread more enjoyable and interesting for other people! I've to max out my post count as quickly as possible, so I'm just going spacebar through all of this boring conversation and make my post! Deal with it!

You might, ahem, see what I did there.

(Nothing personal. I actually like you. You know what punctuation is.)

Quite seriously, if this is a mechanical option, it should be set by the group leader. If he sets "Auto-skip Cutscene", that's just what happens.

By the same token, once someone's in the group, there should be some protection against this being changed. I'd be very irked if I joined a "Cutscene Positive" group, travelled to the destination, picked up the quests, etc, and then had the party leader change the setting. I'm sure people who dislike cutscenes would feel the same way.

Since most quests can't be repeated more than once a day, and if you added up all the time spent in cutscenes in 5 quests, it wouldn't be enough to consume the time for a sixth, I'm still not sure what's really being gained, but that's just me. I suppose I find the whole idea that a game someone voluntarily buys, then voluntarily pays a monthly fee for, is something which needs to be "gotten through" as quickly as possible, like reading a book you hate for a report, to be inherently nonsensical. (But this applies to many aspects of MMO gaming, like people who buy gold or pay for leveling services. In general, it seems, a significant fraction of MMO players actively, passionately, completely, HATE playing MMOs, and everything they ask for is ways to get them "over with" as quickly as possible... apparently so they can move on to another MMO which they will then try to "finish" while hating every single moment of their play experience...but which they pay for.)

Lol I think most of that is a bit of "Can'o'Worms"ish so I'm going to leave most of that alone and focus on the Proposed Cutscene LFG Discussion.

I absolutely agree that once flagged and IN the FP, the flag should be locked for the duration of the FP.

But did you see my post about individual flagging and my counter to Knyght's point?

True, but that particular axe swings both ways.

Let's say you flag for cutscenes but then skip everything. You only impede yourself.

Now lets say you flag for no cutscenes, but watch everything. You now have 3 other people pissed at you, who can report you for harassment for misusing the tool, and furthermore can 'name and shame' you to the community at large.

Edited by DammitCat

Sorry, but this is a MMO. It's not storytime. If you want storytime do it during solo play.

A story driven MMO and you have no desire to pay attention to the story. Go group with your guild and let the rest of us enjoy the story. At the very least ask if everyone has already seen the story in that particular area and suffer through it for their first time.

Not true, at least for BT. Off the top of my head i have encountered 3 different versions of the instance based on the choices. In most, the captain is killed. In two other versions Ive seen the captain live and in one of those versions a chest with extra loot was left at the bottom of the stairs. Luckily no one was skipping cutscenes yet or i never would have discovered that. I havent done any of the other FPs yet so i dont know about any of the others.

There are, in fact, multiple ways Esseles can turn out. It's pretty fun, too, to see what happens when I group with a Dark side person and his choices win. I still get Light side points for choosing, but also get to see what happens if you choose dark side.

I felt really bad for all those people he sent out the airlock with the reactor. They were screaming for their lives.

Sorry, but this is story driven MMO. If you can't handle that, go play another game.

Come on, that's not fair. I personally loathe the idea of booting people for watching cutscenes, but if the dude specifies "no cutscenes" when he's LFM or LFG, it's fair enough that he should be able to play the game as he wants to, and seek like-minded players.

Come on, that's not fair. I personally loathe the idea of booting people for watching cutscenes, but if the dude specifies "no cutscenes" when he's LFM or LFG, it's fair enough that he should be able to play the game as he wants to, and seek like-minded players.

Thank you for reading the WHOLE OP! +1 Internets to you!

The thing is, OP is asking for a problem to be fixed when the solution is in his hands.

If you don't like cutscenes, then join a guild that bypasses them. Failing that, he can make a list of fellow bypassers and friend them for groups. If there isn't enough people to make groups for both ways, then tough luck, I guess. Adding in more tools or excuses to boot someone rarely ends well.

The thing is, OP is asking for a problem to be fixed when the solution is in his hands.

If you don't like cutscenes, then join a guild that bypasses them. Failing that, he can make a list of fellow bypassers and friend them for groups. If there isn't enough people to make groups for both ways, then tough luck, I guess. Adding in more tools or excuses to boot someone rarely ends well.

That's not the point at all. The OP did a poor job of saying it, but the point was that he was creating groups, clearly stating from the get-go that they would be no cutscene runs, but people would join and watch the cutscenes anyway, negativly impacting his play experience. So he's asking for an add-on with which he can use to identify who was disobeying his grouping conditions so that he could remove them and not group with them again.

It has been generally agreed by the few of us who actually read the post that while this is generally a bad idea, we HAVE agreed that a good alternative would be to have something for a group leader to flag for either "Cutscenes/No Cutscenes" and amidst the trolling, have been trying to flesh out this idea.

Yes, yes it is. In fact, story was stated as Bioware's main goal from the start. Playing this game and hating story is like playing Eve and hating space ships or playing Shadowbane and hating PvP. What are you even doing in a game where the story has a world record for most voice acting if you don't like cutscenes? Literally any other game in the world has less of them.

That's not the point at all. The OP did a poor job of saying it, but the point was that he was creating groups, clearly stating from the get-go that they would be no cutscene runs, but people would join and watch the cutscenes anyway, negativly impacting his play experience. So he's asking for an add-on with which he can use to identify who was disobeying his grouping conditions so that he could remove them and not group with them again.

It has been generally agreed by the few of us who actually read the post that while this is generally a bad idea, we HAVE agreed that a good alternative would be to have something for a group leader to flag for either "Cutscenes/No Cutscenes" and amidst the trolling, have been trying to flesh out this idea.

And now he's learned a valuable lesson that everyone learns in their first MMO; PUGs are horrible and you should avoid them if possible. No reason to complain on the forum about it. Devs can't make PUGers not act like idiots and/or jerks. If they weren't doing this they'd be need rolling on light sabers as a smuggler, standing in the fire or doing something else equally bad. Life is hard, get a helmet. And by helmet I mean guild.

Edited by Game_Hermit

You know, if rushing is a playstyle, then, at least, support it mechanically. I'm not being sarcastic. (You may choose to believe this, or not.)

Add a "Kessel Run" flag to the group. As soon as the group enters the instance with that flag set (it can't be set after entering), the timer begins. The timer stops when you leave the instance will all goals, and optional goals, complete.

On the main fleets, there will be a terminal that will show the top 10 groups (and the character names) per instance, with their time to complete down to tenths of a second.

For as long you're in the top 10, you get the title "Kessel Runner Of ((Instance Name))". Since only 40 people (maximum -- it could be a lot less, the same group of four could hold all top 10 slots, for example) on the server could have that title at any point, it would be a truly unique achievement, one you'd have to constantly work to hold... imagine logging in and find you've been kicked out of the top. You'd want to get back in, right?

I am really, perfectly, without sarcasm, snideness, or rancor (either the adjective or the thing in Jabba's palace), proposing this. I think it would be relatively simply to implement (no new graphics or animation or mechanics or balancing), and would aid player retention because the "race to top race to top race to top now what?" crowd would actually have goals to beat and constant competition to prove themselves the best, without needing new gear, ranks, or zones ...and each new instance added provides a new set of challenges for them to compete with each other for.

You know, if rushing is a playstyle, then, at least, support it mechanically. I'm not being sarcastic. (You may choose to believe this, or not.)

Add a "Kessel Run" flag to the group. As soon as the group enters the instance with that flag set (it can't be set after entering), the timer begins. The timer stops when you leave the instance will all goals, and optional goals, complete.

On the main fleets, there will be a terminal that will show the top 10 groups (and the character names) per instance, with their time to complete down to tenths of a second.

For as long you're in the top 10, you get the title "Kessel Runner Of ((Instance Name))". Since only 40 people (maximum -- it could be a lot less, the same group of four could hold all top 10 slots, for example) on the server could have that title at any point, it would be a truly unique achievement, one you'd have to constantly work to hold... imagine logging in and find you've been kicked out of the top. You'd want to get back in, right?

I am really, perfectly, without sarcasm, snideness, or rancor (either the adjective or the thing in Jabba's palace), proposing this. I think it would be relatively simply to implement (no new graphics or animation or mechanics or balancing), and would aid player retention because the "race to top race to top race to top now what?" crowd would actually have goals to beat and constant competition to prove themselves the best, without needing new gear, ranks, or zones ...and each new instance added provides a new set of challenges for them to compete with each other for.

Now we're getting creative! This is the kind of thing I'm trying to keep alive in here! This would be a great community booster too; guilds would challenge one another to take the Kessel Runner titles, and make things really interesting on high-pop servers.

Good idea dude, let's try to keep em comin!

I don't know if it has been pointed out, but there are changes to dialog depending on choices you make during cutscenes It isn't "always the same" unless you always choose the same options.

If anyone advertises that they want a run with no cutscenes, I'll know to avoid it.

EASY FIX

TV in background, watch while you wait. Personally, I have dual monitors so I go on forums or whatever.

Although I agree, if you state "YOU MUST SKIP OR WE WONT RUN WITH YOU" and that player agrees, but watches them anyway, you have full right to kick him from your party without grief or even remorse. Chances are, next time, he/she will hit spacebar post haste.

Though, I'd give them a warning first, after the first dialog set they watch, remind them IN ALL CAPS, "*** WE SAID NO WATCHING, ONCE MORE AND YOURE OUT"

I think a lot of people have language barriers as well, so be very clear about your intent

Hard to know what choice to pick, and thus what consequences (yes actual real game consequences from a choice, who'd have thought) you will find in your run if you haven't listened to a word being said. Example: Black Talon.

This isn't always the same as just picking up a quest in WoW & killing ten giant rats.

Try talking to the people you're playing with instead of looking for tools to be more anti-social.

While I agree that grinders should be able to play how they want... it is on them to leave the group, not to go around kicking people. If you have the problem then you deal with it not the other way around. You are the oddity in this game and thus You should be the one to leave group. Also just because you started the group does not mean you own it, if people decide to do story mode after starting it is not your right to decide how the group runs.

-On the other hand though if a person joins a group advertised as a no cut scene run, and the majority of the group wants it that way then they should leave. Regardless no kicking should be involved, if you don't like it ask them to leave or skip.

Edited by Golin