3 Reasons why SWTOR will continue to be succesful

xNonphixionx

1. Claiming it will live cause its star wars is flawed. SWG did not do very well over its long course, it survived but was shut down. At its height it was pretty good, but for most of its tenure it had relatively low sub numbers.

2. BW was ONCE known for good story telling.

BG 1 and 2, Ice wind Dale, Never Winter Nights and Sequels. DA 1 and ME 1. KTOR1/2, etc.

However the teams that made most of those games no long work at bioware. Look at the newer content shall me?

ME2: Shooter game on rails with a relatively sparse plot compared to the original.

DA2: Terrible design. Oversimplification that was insulting. Linear plot attempted to be clever but was a snore. Most people I know have never even finished DA2, they always say "oh yeah..it was a good game..i think i stopped playing right when act 2 started", etc.

Lets look at SWTOR?

Linear story telling, more or less. Your choices in the end make no difference. All story telling stops at 50.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 3 reasons this game will continue to be a massive success....

1. It's Star Wars. Not only is it Star Wars, one of the most succesful entertainment franchise in history, but it's a direct addition to the Knights of the Old Republic series which is some people's favorite RPG franchise of all time. Including myself.

2. It's Bioware. Love them or hate them you cannot deny that they lead the video game industry in pure storytelling and have captivated audiences for over a decade now. Bioware pretty much showed us gamers what is possible in video games when it comes to interactive storytelling.

3. It's a Bioware Star Wars game. You combine #1 and 2 and you're left with a video game that is destined to be extremely succesful.

Post if you love SWTOR! Haters please let us fanboys have one troll free thread. <3

Agreed. Wholeheartedly. With the awesome storytelling, I can almost believe I'm living in that beautiful, far off galaxy. I am very happy. Much more than I ever was playing WoW. Congrats, Bioware. Keep tweaking, refining as need be. It can only make, what is for me, a superior online distraction.

Thankyou.

What happened to sierra anyway? those guys were the master story tellers imo.

Actually when I think back to the greatest games in terms of story at least two of them are by lucasarts, weird.

Edited by areto

The OP represents exactly what the designers of this game thought.

"As long as we don't try to do anything too different or too unique, this game will be a hit... I mean, it's Star Wars AND BioWare!"

The Mass Effect storyline and the Dragon Age storyline haven't really interested me that much, but I think Varric was one of my favorite NPCs to come out in a long time. I think some of the DLC has better storytelling in many cases. Maybe it's just easier to tell a story in a smaller package? I know spreading out the consular story over 50 levels didn't do it any favors.

What makes me laugh at the general discussion threads is all the people who hate the game feel like they are obligated to tell us. Honestly do you think in your world that a game gets worse by you trashing it. Look at the WOW forums most people were to judge a game off that they would defiantly not try it. So if you are here to try and save your game you playing out side SWTOR do not bother. This game will be a success. WOW did not even take off until 2 years after it released. More content will be there and they are fixing issues. That is all we can hope for as a paying sub. Then again i am wasting my time because the forums are filled with people who just want to trash something because most of their lives they just hate. Hate their job, money, family or selves.

So maybe for once why not help a game become a success instead of just trashing one. There I go again with hope.

Edited by LordTie

What makes me laugh at the general discussion threads is all the people who hate the game feel like they are obligated to tell us. Honestly do you think in your world that a game gets worse by you trashing it. Look at the WOW forums most people were to judge a game off that they would defiantly not try it. So if you are here to try and save your game you playing out side SWTOR do not bother. This game will be a success. WOW did not even take off until 2 years after it released. More content will be there and they are fixing issues. That is all we can hope for as a paying sub. Then again i am wasting my time because the forums are filled with people who just want to trash something because most of their lives they just hate. Hate their job, money, family or selves.

So maybe for once why not help a game become a success instead of just trashing one. There I go again with hope.

oh noes people are talking about their issues with swtor on the swtor forums!

Great argument.

If your keyboard was connected to a pile of garbage with a Bioware and Star Wars name on it, would you play that too?

Or is this that?

I'm confused.

Edited by Tiaa

WAR's PVP was light years ahead of TORs.
RvR was a massive lagfest outside of cities, and that was almost pure PvE raiding.

Scenarios were pretty awesome; I don't know why more didn't make it over to TOR. I got predominantly Huttball tonight, even though all of my games were against the other faction. Having 5x the number of maps, or more, would be very much appreciated.

LotD was a massive joke; Darkness Falls was 100x cooler, and NF was 1000x better RvR.

What alot of people don't give WAR credit for is the PvE; it's marred heavily by that lame contribution system, but the world was very detailed, I guess thanks to GamesWorkshop.

Edited by Ansultares

There are 3 reasons this game will continue to be a massive success....

1. It's Star Wars. Not only is it Star Wars, one of the most succesful entertainment franchise in history, but it's a direct addition to the Knights of the Old Republic series which is some people's favorite RPG franchise of all time. Including myself.

2. It's Bioware. Love them or hate them you cannot deny that they lead the video game industry in pure storytelling and have captivated audiences for over a decade now. Bioware pretty much showed us gamers what is possible in video games when it comes to interactive storytelling.

3. It's a Bioware Star Wars game. You combine #1 and 2 and you're left with a video game that is destined to be extremely succesful.

In my opinion, this game is already a great accomplishment and a huge success. After playing through from level 1 to 50 and now taking part in some of the endgame activities I am confident that this mmo has me for the long run. I have not enjoyed an MMO as much as I am enjoying SWTOR since Ultima Online.

I dont see why or how people can compare this game to World of Warcraft. To me, World of Warcraft is the Michael Jackson of mmo's. It's sold millions yet it's really not that good, it mostly attracts little boys, and it's dead.

The Old Republic just feels fresh. It's not all about the core game mechanics to a lot of people. It's about the story. It's about the lore. It's about the general atmosphere. It's about Bioware's brilliant way of allowing us players to interact with each other in an epic story.

Kudos Bioware! I am loving this game so much and so are my guildmates and we cannot wait to see what is in store for us next!

Post if you love SWTOR! Haters please let us fanboys have one troll free thread. <3

Interactive bit is bit of a lie imo, they do give u choise to choose out of 3 but the outcome all rdy has been made for u befor u even ansa, no matter what u choose its allways same end.

Nothing actually change anywhere, u save a planet but its still same P-hole it was befor u saved it, they have phase system but they dont really utilice it at all like other games have made. Lack of imagination i guess

The OP represents exactly what the designers of this game thought.

"As long as we don't try to do anything too different or too unique, this game will be a hit... I mean, it's Star Wars AND BioWare!"

The Mass Effect storyline and the Dragon Age storyline haven't really interested me that much, but I think Varric was one of my favorite NPCs to come out in a long time. I think some of the DLC has better storytelling in many cases. Maybe it's just easier to tell a story in a smaller package? I know spreading out the consular story over 50 levels didn't do it any favors.

What?

This game is a monumental achievement for the MMO genre! Everything in this game is unique, new and innovative!

The 1.7 million you-wouldn't-have-guessed-played-this-game-because-the-worlds-are-dead-so-like-usual-it's-less-than-that-number players have spoken and it has nothing AT ALL to do with this game being a Star Wars title.

You want patches and new content?! Well look no further! Bioware releases all the newest broken hotfixes and untested patches you could dream of! Flashy UIs! No Warzone count! Broken PvP! Mirrored but not so mirrored classes and more!

Don't you EVER speak negative about this game again!

Kudos to the OP for making the original post.

The guys on this forum being negative live in some kind of gaming world Utopia where any new MMO launched is word perfect from the first second of launch, with no bugs or need for additional content, cos it is all there from the off.

Ofcourse in the REAL WORLD there is no such place as MMO Utopia.

There has never been an MMO launched that hasnt suffered from bugs and a small portion of the community whining about stuff.

Before SWTOR I played EQ1 and EQ2 for 6 years, I had a brief foray in to WoW but lasted about a month there, I couldnt get to grips with being propositioned to get naked and cyber on regular occasions. This made me think if this is what the WoW community is about then I want no part of it.

Oh and if Everquest 1 and 2 spent the same on advertising as WoW, then WoW would not be seen as being the most successful MMO.

So there....:p

Edited by Madgedull

Yes, StarWars is an incredibly strong franchise (this alone will guarantee the financial success of SWTOR).

Yes, BW has revolutionized story-telling in ordinary computer games (not taking into account interactive fiction, which is literature) and we love them for that. The story-telling in Dragon Age 1 was incredible.

Yes, SWTOR is a great game for people looking for interesting story-telling in the style of an offline computer RPG with some MMO elements.

But NO, story-telling is not the most important ingredient of an MMO. It's rather the game mechanics (e.g. interesting skills that actually make the classes unique) and the overall quality of the engine (precision of movement, skill activation, etc.). Every pre-scripted story will abruptly end at some point (and story extensions promised to be provided every 2-3 months will probably be played through in a few days).

It's a credit to BW that they tried to combine story-telling (as in offline computer RPGs) and the typical MMO game elements. This is where SWTOR is truly innovative. But IMHO this drove SWTOR too far in the theme-park style of MMOs. But it's too early to really tell if the combination is working or not.

Conclusion: SWTOR is more for those offline RPG gamers interested in trying out some MMO game elements; not so much for the hardcore MMO gamer (this might change with future patches - but I'm talking of the current situation). The new intro video for MMO newbies seems to confirm this. But this is not a bad thing. The game can be incredibly successful with this audience.

I have found that SWTOR has added an element to the characteristics of an mmo that many people haven't noticed but completely separates it from most mmo styles. I actually feel that I make a difference to the characters in the game, that I am saving the galaxy and not one of many that have done so before me. Even the little things like NPCs mentioning that you helped on the Black Talon bridged the flashpoint to the rest of the world.

The only other mmo I played that came close to this was Guild Wars with its mission story structure. But then again I'm the guy that spent 600 hours in Wow trying to find meaning behind what I was doing - a story that I cared about. Finally, its excellent to see the large amounts of patches - even to the UI - by Bioware responding to feedback and consumer complaints to help make SWTOR how people want. Give it a year and even the haters might be surprised.

I find it really ironic that all the people posting in this thread saying such things "this mechanic is trash" or "this game is garbage and will fail", are posting in the SWTOR forums with clear labeled accounts which is a clear sign that they played the game and care enough about it to ***** about how they hate it on the forums. Could be me but thats my 2 cents.

I have found that SWTOR has added an element to the characteristics of an mmo that many people haven't noticed but completely separates it from most mmo styles. I actually feel that I make a difference to the characters in the game, that I am saving the galaxy and not one of many that have done so before me. Even the little things like NPCs mentioning that you helped on the Black Talon bridged the flashpoint to the rest of the world.

The only other mmo I played that came close to this was Guild Wars with its mission story structure. But then again I'm the guy that spent 600 hours in Wow trying to find meaning behind what I was doing - a story that I cared about. Finally, its excellent to see the large amounts of patches - even to the UI - by Bioware responding to feedback and consumer complaints to help make SWTOR how people want. Give it a year and even the haters might be surprised.

That how I sort of see it too. This game will keep a large portion of founding subscribers and will lose a chunk of the nit-picky wow fanboys that cannot survive without threat meters and healbots. Rest assured, a year down the road those players will be back because all their friends came back saying how amazing the game has become. But they will still come cry on the forums about how this game will fail.

It's so funny because...Right now all the haters are insisting this game will fail. In a year when this game has a solid 2.5 million subscribers they will insist that it's dieing. In 3 years when the game has 5 million subscribers they will insist the game is dead. Some people like to nit-pick just for the sake of nit-picking.

SWTOR is an extremely solid base for an mmo to start with. The PVP is extremely fun, the flashpoints are extremely fun, the operations are a blast! Mind you all of the content is fairly easy right now but from years of experience launching mmo's, the first tier of raids/flashpoints are supposed to be faceroll easy to allow players to learn the games mechanics.

All I can say is...This game is destined for extreme success. Playing mmo's for 14 years now I've never seen a launch as succesful nore have i seen a base game with more potential than SWTOR currently has.

Why the hell do bioware excel in story telling? Being able to copy paste their stupid choice wheel that doesn't even give the player a clue about what they are saying anyway, doesn't make them good story tellers.

You guys think the story is good, because it gives you the illusion of choice, jesus christ. Try reading a good book. Good book > Bioware.

People are tired of it, everything that is +1990 with star wars sucks.

Bioware can't help it, they can only copy paste.

you try too hard

I came here and I followed this game because after DA1, this was everything I wanted out of a RPG. And in combination with a MMO setup, so I could play it with my husband, would be awesome.

And you know, it is exactly that for us. We both love to watch the stories and be able to play those stories together. We're not rushed, we don't need the endgame to bring us something unseen, we will do more stories.

I'm here for the story. Once it's done I'm off to a new game. Diablo 3 if its out or I'm back to Wow until then and or GW2 when it comes out.

Spoiler...

With that said the story has started to disappoint me. On Nar Shaddaa it was about Empire stealing information to make weapons that could be used to take over everyone.

The next story was to save it from the Empire that stole nasty killing weapon that can destory a planet.

Next planet the new storyline is save the republic / planet from a nasty weapon the Empire has stolen. I'm like really they did this again. If the next planet repeats the storyline I will just cancel my account which I'm already thinking of doing.

People tend to say "all this has is voiceovers and a story". All I can say to that is...That's how they advertised it and that's exactly what they delivered.

That being said...Every mmo after SWTOR will now be compared to it when it comes to questing. Could you imagine the next Call of Duty game coming out with no voiceovers and all text based cutscenes? Could you imagine the next Elder Scrolls or Fallout game being released with zero voiceovers and ALL subtitles? My point is...Bioware has taken a HUGE step forward in this genre when it comes to storytelling, immersion and setting.

Like I said, every mmo will be compared to SWTOR from here on out.