3 Reasons why SWTOR will continue to be succesful

xNonphixionx

none of em broke 1 million subs after the first month. and my quote you responded to was pure numbers. I said 1.7 million subs. my argument has always been the same.

Like I said, you switched from a "85%" argument to a "sheer numbers" argument. Also, WoW wasn't a world wide release. It was staggered. WoW sold more than 1 million copies if you combined each day 1 sales for each regional release.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, you switched from a "85%" argument to a "sheer numbers" argument. Also, WoW wasn't a world wide release. It was staggered. WoW sold more than 1 million copies if you combined each day 1 sales for each regional release.

no, go back and look and you will see YOU originally responded to my post when I mentioned 1.7 million subs. That was my first post in this thread.

no, go back and look and you will see YOU originally responded to my post when I mentioned 1.7 million subs. That was my first post in this thread.

Then I apologize. Anyways, if you add up the numbers for US and EU release of WoW it adds up to more than a million. And the 4 mmo's I listed had more than a 100% subscription fee from release until at least a few months after.

none of em broke 1 million subs after the first month. and my quote you responded to was pure numbers. I said 1.7 million subs. my argument has always been the same.

They sold 2 mil boxes before it went live. So TOR has not broke 1 mil new subs yet either. Actually they lost 300k...

Or is it that 1.7 means success, new subs or not? Does this mean a game that hits 700k subs, or 1.6, NOT successful? Take me down the line of logic you are using, please.

Then I apologize. Anyways, if you add up the numbers for US and EU release of WoW it adds up to more than a million. And the 4 mmo's I listed had more than a 100% subscription fee from release until at least a few months after.

well if you are discussing a 100% increase in subs then that is a number we dont have yet for this game. I mentioned 85% earlier but that is just retention off of initial box sales which is highly impressive. Most mmos lose about 40-50% of initial box sales.

I'd agree that simply adding more flashpoints and operations is not the way to add more enjoyment to the game.

This isn't to say that SWTOR's FPs and OPs aren't any good, they are usually pretty decent, there are even some reasonably fresh ideas like Colicoid with group puzzles, it's to say that it is a style of gameplay that has already been done to death.

For the MMO space, the most original thing in SWTOR seems to be the space combat mini game.

They sold 2 mil boxes before it went live. So TOR has not broke 1 mil new subs yet either. Actually they lost 300k...

Or is it that 1.7 means success, new subs or not? Does this mean a game that hits 700k subs, or 1.6, NOT successful? Take me down the line of logic you are using, please.

they had 2 million+ sales in the first month and 1.7 million continued to sub to the game. that is roughly an 85% retention rate which is much better than the average mmo does after its first month.

they had 2 million+ sales in the first month and 1.7 million continued to sub to the game. that is roughly an 85% retention rate which is much better than the average mmo does after its first month.

Yeah, but people were saying that no MMO had done it before. Hence why I listed ones that had more than a 100% increase from release.

2. Its sony! I know Sony is crap but DC universe didn't go down hill because of Sony service, in fact it let DC universe to be one of the first CROSS platform game, ps3 and PC player bases.
Those two things are the issue with DC Universe. It is Sony, sorry nothing positive there. And that it was a Cross Platform Game... meaning playing on the PC was clunky because it was designed for console play. As long as you played on the PC with a console controller, it was fine... but then why play on a PC at all.

If i rememeber correctly he didnt say they had 1.7 paying resubs, he danced around it when the guy asked how many of those 1.7 million were paying resubs by saying alot of them were or most were resubs.

So by that logic EVE is more successful than this is? Due to the retention rate and not the arbitrary number of subs you keep using?

So by that logic EVE is more successful than this is? Due to the retention rate and not the arbitrary number of subs you keep using?

overall, yes most likely. although eve has an established success while this one is still growing.

I agree with the op 100% but the two big strikes it has against it?

#1 Its EA

#2 Its the warhammer pvp team, making the same mistakes they did in warhammer.

I absolutely loved Warhammer PVP.

Honestly, most people that say Warhammer was bad PVP only played it at launch and never went back. Warhammer PVP was EPIC. Second best PVP in a MMO of all time next to DaOC. It's the same as AoC. Both AoC and Warhammer are great games today that got extremely bad reps from their crash and burn launches.

Like...Warhammer was a game plagued by an absolutely horrible launch. If people think SWTOR launch was bad then they never launched any other mmo EVER. SWTOR had one of the smoothest and most succesful launches in mmo history.

it's not a commercial success, it's still in the red

it's not a critical success, the games reviewers have been pretty obviously paid off- anyone who's been in the game for about an hour can cut through their bull

what kind of success is it?

troll on...OBVIOUSLY everything is a conspiracy. So the 1.7 million subscribers are also a fabrication right? What about all the people I play with who love the game? PAID OFF OBVIOUSLY.

I believe that you don't like the game, it happens man. But your opinion does not equal everyone else.

I tried like hell to like skyrim, but I just could not get into it after hours and hours. Everybody and their mother seems to love that game but it just doesn't float my boat. The fantasy world just seems too generic to me and the combat is archaic IMO. However this is only my opinion, it does not make it fact. I didn't go to their forums to try to ruin the experience for others. It actually does too. Had I seen these forums before I bought the game I would not have touched SWTOR. Luckily for me I didn't and I love the game. The less players coming into the game means less fun for the community. It's one thing to give your opinion on mechanics and such, but these conspiracy theorists and BS spewers are getting old.

Edited by TheSpeeGamers

I play bc i have done college, learned languages on my own, learn a instrument on my own, started a family, spend time with the family, learned to cook, found a good paying job and at the end of the day there is still nothing to occupy my time.

My 3 reasons why this game better continue to strive

1. ITS FUN!!

2. The conversations are like reading a book, there's always details that add to the story, and it never gets boring. Its like im constantly turning the pages. I hope the story never dies. My wife likes to watch me play just because she loves its like a chose your own adventure book. Now if only i could get her to play...lol.

3. Even though its a video game. My son and I, have bonded so well playing this both of us have so much fun exploring new areas and fighting new enemies.

well said man, seriously well said

I absolutely loved Warhammer PVP.

Honestly, most people that say Warhammer was bad PVP only played it at launch and never went back. Warhammer PVP was EPIC. Second best PVP in a MMO of all time next to DaOC. It's the same as AoC. Both AoC and Warhammer are great games today that got extremely bad reps from their crash and burn launches.

Like...Warhammer was a game plagued by an absolutely horrible launch. If people think SWTOR launch was bad then they never launched any other mmo EVER. SWTOR had one of the smoothest and most succesful launches in mmo history.

WAR's PVP was light years ahead of TORs.

Thank you OP. Just proven a point

The only people left playing would be Bioware Star Wars fans. A very small minority. But it wont be sucessful at this rate

I think I will add this one to my LOL list when they announce 2.5 million at the next investors call

Point 1 doesnt necessarily hold true.

Star Trek Online .... Star Trek has probably as much influential IP as Star Wars.

Yet Star Trek Online is now F2P.

Saying that, it was made by Cryptic :rolleyes:

Edited by Urko

There are 3 reasons this game will continue to be a massive success....

1. It's Star Wars. Not only is it Star Wars, one of the most succesful entertainment franchise in history, but it's a direct addition to the Knights of the Old Republic series which is some people's favorite RPG franchise of all time. Including myself.

2. It's Bioware. Love them or hate them you cannot deny that they lead the video game industry in pure storytelling and have captivated audiences for over a decade now. Bioware pretty much showed us gamers what is possible in video games when it comes to interactive storytelling.

3. It's a Bioware Star Wars game. You combine #1 and 2 and you're left with a video game that is destined to be extremely succesful.

The reasons you listed and not one was because of whats in the game.

Its whats in a game that counts and that is why its a failure. Your three reasons is why it will still have some players not why it will be successful.

If only the fanboiz posted in here then no one would post because as we all know anyone who loves the game is playing it and not on the forums.

The reasons you listed and not one was because of whats in the game.

Its whats in a game that counts and that is why its a failure. Your three reasons is why it will still have some players not why it will be successful.

If only the fanboiz posted in here then no one would post because as we all know anyone who loves the game is playing it and not on the forums.

Hey some people browse forums at work.

In all honesty...The way I see this game in it's current state is this...It's rough around the edges. It's lacking endgame yet has more endgame than most other mmo's have had at launch. Endgame comes with time. But...SWTOR has just a freaking amazing base game to build upon. The possiblities are endless with the dialogue system, good and evil levels, warzone possibilities with huttball. Like...I enjoy pretty much every aspect of the game right now and if that makes me a fanboy then...I guess I'm a fanboy?

Edited by xNonphixionx