The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is the voice acting worth it?

keano

The voiced stories will maybe last you a month, then will get bored when your done with it.

Then you need to RE-Grind the same BORING side-quests to play a different story.

Don't you have to re-grind all the same boring side quest in any mmo? Also the side quest are optional you don't have to do them.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to worry about the cost of voice acting in the future of this game. I, like the majority of people I speak to in this game skip the majority of the dialogues, I only listen to my main story, which is great. But I feel that BioWare are wasting a lot of time and resources on the voice overs for everything else.

I know BioWare have said several times that they've recorded far ahead with voice dialogues, but imagine the work load if they decided to add new races in an expansion, it would be huge to re-write and record dialogue for all of the current quests.

Another problem is that the voice acting was one of the main features that they focused on when advertising/promoting there game, so it'll be unlikely for them to tone it down or even admit it failed.

I just hope they have some kind've statistics that show who is skipping which dialogues, so if only a small percentage of players are listening to everything, they can allocate resources elsewhere.

No, and this has been stated over and over again sense they announced it during early development. It was overall a vary bad idea.

No. The game clearly has suffered because the voice acting had priority over everything else.

I agree. The voice acting is great, but the game design has greatly suffered. This does not feel like a 100 million dollar game because it isn't a 100 million dollar game... I think a lot more of the money went to voice acting/writing dialogue than most people think.

Now, they have to sustain that many more subscribers in order to continue the cost of development. While a normal MMO say might be able to operate on 200k subscribers per month to create content, SWTOR will need a lot more to create the same quality content with the voice acting (which also takes time). Granted those numbers are just examples.

I see it being an issue in the future and I see a lot of dialogue being reused. Not to mention about the 5th time through the dialogue all gets skipped because its repetitive and boring anyways.

The voiced stories will maybe last you a month, then will get bored when your done with it.

Then you need to RE-Grind the same BORING side-quests to play a different story.

This. I see so many people claim there are 8 unique stories in this game. While there are 8 unique CLASS stories, the majority of the quests in this game are not class quests, and you will repeat 90% of all the content 4 times on each faction if you want to see each of the 8 different class stories.

I played in beta for about 6 months and I am dreadfully bored with them currently, as I have seen them all ~15 times. I'm guessing in 6 months, most others will feel the same.

Another option I think would be nice for them to add is the ability to turn cut scenes off in flashpoints. After you have gone through it 4-5 times and see all of the outcomes, it just becomes tedious to go through it again. Granted, you'd have to have a group of 4 players who all had them turned off to skip them, but eventually I think most people would turn them off.

Edited by Thaonnor

The voice acting is worth it. I don't know why people don't understand that the money to develop this game went into developing it for years to come. Anyone who honestly thinks they haven't been working on future expansions with part of that money is seriously ignorant.

Don't you have to re-grind all the same boring side quest in any mmo? Also the side quest are optional you don't have to do them.

Yea but the other MMORPGs don't make me listen to the same ****** dialogue every time. THey just give me the quest, I go kill the mobs, and I'm done. Immersion is great until you have to grind immersion. When it comes to grinding quests, which contrary to fanboi belief this game still has a lot of when it comes to alts, mindless and less immersion are better.