SWTOR Graphics Engine Discussion

Aisar

once a company elects to go with an engine.... that's the point of commitment. everything starts from there and will end with this engine. that's just the way it is in gaming. best you can hope for is some ingenious mods to the framework :)

2.93 GHZ i7 1333hz

4 gig ram

ati hd radeon 5770.

runs at 60 fps peak hour on fleet max settings(which is same as medium anyway) and shadows.

dont beleave me?

Ill get a screenshot when i get home.

How is a screenshot going to show that you have no slowdown or FPS loss on Fleet, any planet or in warzones?

Why yes, yes I do.

If you really want to know my specs here you go:

I7 2600K @ 4.8ghz

1X6990 1X 6970 - Trifire

P8 Z68-V pro gen3

16gb Corsair Ram

Other bits and pieces playing on 3X Dell U3011's in eyefinity. So yes, I have 0 issues with the game all maxed with full shadows bla bla bla.

Well unfortunately that kind of system is out of my reach. Guess I will be resubbing when they fix all this.

I am interested in discussing TOR's graphics engine and if needed a possible replacement.

The first question is do you think it needs to be replaced?

Second, what kind of engine would you like to see in the game? What kind of style would you like to see? What would be a good compromise that would satisfy the lower end users and still be pretty enough and stable enough to satisfy the more beefy system users?

Just an open discussion would be great, all opinions welcome!

It would be nice if they supported DX10 and DX11 features. They don't need to "replace" the graphics engine, they could just enhance it.

I would love to see volumetric lighting (godrays) in the game. Tesselation would've been real nice, but I don't see that happening now.

It would be nice if they supported DX10 and DX11 features. They don't need to "replace" the graphics engine, they could just enhance it.

I would love to see volumetric lighting (godrays) in the game. Tesselation would've been real nice, but I don't see that happening now.

Coming soon. http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/HeroEngine_Roadmap

We shall see whether BWA adopts those changes, or not. Remember... everything is essentially modular, to a degree. Yes, BWA has written custom code. That does not mean, however, that everything is set in stone...

There will never, ever, ever, ever be a new engine. Why?

Imagine you're directing a $150 million dollar budget movie and you've just finished filming the movie. In post-production, you decide you wanted to use IMAX quality film instead of 35mm film.

You go to your studio and say, "Hey, I'd like to re-shoot the film. For another $150 million."

You'd be laughed out of the studio.

tldr: A new engine means a totally new game.

There will never, ever, ever, ever be a new engine. Why?

IF the game survives, it's overall game engine will likely evolve to support more hardware and software features, like DX 11, true multi-threading, better Nvidia/AMD support, etc. Don't look to most of those innovations to come directly from BWA, though... that's why they have a licensed *modular* product that they can modify.

IF the game survives, it's overall game engine will likely evolve to support more hardware and software features, like DX 11, true multi-threading, better Nvidia/AMD support, etc. Don't look to most of those innovations to come directly from BWA, though... that's why they have a licensed *modular* product that they can modify.

Updating and modifying the existing engine is a separate issue. That is plausible.

But to just decide, "Hey, I think we'll switch our engine to the Unreal 3.0 engine" is fantasy. :p

I am interested in discussing TOR's graphics engine and if needed a possible replacement.

The first question is do you think it needs to be replaced?

Second, what kind of engine would you like to see in the game? What kind of style would you like to see? What would be a good compromise that would satisfy the lower end users and still be pretty enough and stable enough to satisfy the more beefy system users?

Just an open discussion would be great, all opinions welcome!

It's not going to be replaced, there might be some fixes implemented, but they aren't about to replace the entire engine.

Updating and modifying the existing engine is a separate issue. That is plausible.

But to just decide, "Hey, I think we'll switch our engine to the Unreal 3.0 engine" is fantasy. :p

It's technically feasible, though you can kiss any actual updates goodbye for about 3-6 months if you wanted to do that. The chief problem as I see it is the fact that the HeroEngine game development environment shares the game client with the developer client. Everything would have to change, while still working with a HeroEngine MMO back-end server farm. That's a major undertaking. Though no more major than others taking an FPS game development framework and adding in true MMO capabilities.

What would be a good compromise that would satisfy the lower end users and still be pretty enough and stable enough to satisfy the more beefy system users?

like it is now ...

if you cant see this, dont bother yourself,

you will never understand how it works and why ...

they use 3 to 4 times more polys then for example wow,

they use normal mapping everywhere, wich needs high quality ligting in addition

they use facial expressions and animations ...

really, your questions are that pointless ... and the answer is always:

those are the reason they choose that engine for ...

if you cant understand how good this engine runs you really never played

any other mmos, or you really have no clue what you are talking about ..

smart enough?

greetz

like it is now ...

if you cant see this, dont bother yourself,

you will never understand how it works and why ...

they use 3 to 4 times more polys then for example wow,

they use normal mapping everywhere, wich needs high quality ligting in addition

they use facial expressions and animations ...

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

There are multiple techniques to optimize game performance with respect to graphics. First and foremost are polygon counts. If you want to support lower end machines, don't go psycho with the polygon counts. SWTOR uses higher polygon models for things that just don't need it. They also use complex features, such as cloth physics. These things are nice... but each feature ultimately has a detrimental effect on the overall performance of the game on a client system.