SWTOR Arenas: How it Should be Done

Zybak

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing I disagree with is the whole "no end of season" and "no rewards" points.

No end of season: You will want this badly! For reseting the scoreboards (SC has it, and isn't that the biggest E-sport game?!) and actually giving people a goal at the end. Not having something to work towards is not very interesting. IE me and my friend wants to hit top 100 this season. With that said, I reckon a season should be up to a year in lenght. You Really dont want to finish the season before the most players havent even gotten time to gear up, get some practise and then climb the ladders.

No rewards: Then why are we there? There has to be more for a reward than just the pure gear. Pretty much anyone with half a heart can get all the PvP gear in a game (would not be very funny if only the top 5% actually got the gear). But there also has to be more exclusive rewards such as this season only titles, achievements, mounts and other things you can brag about.

My two cents: Without these things, there wont be much incentive to actually participating in these highly competative parts of the game.

Also, I would love a 3vs3 arena bracket! No matter how broken the PvP balance was in WoW, I still always ended up there. Why? Because it is by far The most awarding/infuriating form of PvP.

Wrong! Arena was only popular because that was the only way to get Toptier PvP gear. No one but the PvPers who couldnt get into large PvP guilds liked arena.

What arena does to an MMO is kill the PvP community and destroy PvP guilds. World PvP is very popular when supported and incentivized. However, when content is not incentivized and when Arena's give better gear then no one will world PvP because all their time is spent trying to get Arena gear.

Saying BW should implement Arena's is tantamount to saying BW should release Heroic 4mans which give on par or better gear then raids. That would kill raids and large PvE guilds in a night.

I disagree, Arena is so immensly popular for more reasons than just that it was the way to get the gear. It's also because it's one of the best ways of actually proving your own skill!

In a open world PvP enviroment there is such an massive amount of chance involved. Even the warzones have too much of a gamble involved in them. Did I get the right team-mates? did we have the right setup? Did half my team just go afk? Did 3 of them just leave because we were under?

Arena will probably always be the most loved/hated form of PvP. Loved by the ones who actually have skill, hated by all the ones who think they have skill, but actually just gets steamrolled as soon as they get past 1k in rating.

First off, I would LOVE to see arena in this game.

Arena is a huge reason that WoW is so successful. For SWTOR to do it it needs to be done right and not like WoW had originally started it. This game has endless resources in terms of mana so the arena will be greatly different from what WoW is currently.

Can Bioware make arena in this game successful is the real question. Sure, a TON of us want to see it happen, but you have to do it in the right way.

Here is to hoping they get it right if they decide to go in that direction.

arenas? LoL is thataway ---------------------->

I think you will find the overwhelming majority does not want to suffer the whiplash class changes that are inherent to arena 'esport' tournaments.

Maybe they could create a second game for just arena and only arena, but you will never see WoW style arenas here.

Or maybe make it a mini-game where everyone can choose a character and all balance is restricted to that mini-game.

I don't think you can balance cover-based classes around 3v3, period. It would be so easy to just focus fire down a sniper or gunslinger. Then they would have to increase sniper/gunslinger mobility and survivability to the point where it would either homogenize the advanced class or make it overpowered outside arenas.

I think 8v8 is as small as PvP should get.

Edited by Lord_Itharius

So when they're shooting at those green things that give them money, what do you call that? I think you moba heroes call it creeping, but that is NOT farming, now is it?

Again, please.

I might have the wrong game... but the one I played in beta had no PVE at all. You pick a character and enter a match. All character classes are known and equal. That's real esport' PvP.

Your problem is you want to make THIS game an arena game and it is never going to happen. You are wasting your time whining about it.

I might have the wrong game... but the one I played in beta had no PVE at all. You pick a character and enter a match. All character classes are known and equal. That's real esport' PvP.

Your problem is you want to make THIS game an arena game and it is never going to happen. You are wasting your time whining about it.

My problem is that I want balanced, skill-based endgame PvP in this game, and that seems to be an unrealistic expectation.

My problem is that I want balanced, skill-based endgame PvP in this game, and that seems to be an unrealistic expectation.

As you say... it is your problem. Many don't want this game to have worry about arena balance.

And as I said before... these guys are not going to make the arena mistake WoW did.

This is a question I have. Will it mean changes to chactors to make things balanced. If it doesn't. I would love to have the option to go and watch maybe even some kind of simple chearing system for spectators. If they have to nerf classes then I am against it. But if they don't it could be very cool.

...I have friends that make tens of thousands of dollars every arena season selling gladiator and rank 1 in World of Warcraft, the only reason anyone pays that kind of money is because they get to keep something after the season is over. Not too many people are going to pay big money for someone to play their account if there is no reward they get to keep. (Again better explanation in the video, can’t seem to get the point across in text)

You are going to have less friends now. :p

yer thats what we need, more wow gaming... The game is already full of battleground gfarming exploits an cheats, arena would really top it off......

lets face it, if you wanna put a bullet in the games head, arena will do it. Specially with GW2 about to be released. No serious pvper tolerates arena.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.