I’m new to PVP and I am confused.

DevonDs

I’m not getting something. As I researched PVP and especially PVP servers, I repeatedly heard that the idea that higher level characters will kill lower level characters is normal and expected. I heard again and again that getting killed by a higher level character is part of the PVP experience and if you are on a PVP server you need to expect this. I would think that this Higher vs. lower violence woudl also hold true in PVP areas on PVE servers.

I am confused by the people who seem to be expressing that their game experience will be seriously hampered because there will be higher level characters when they get into the game and do their PVP.

This will be my first foray into PVP….What am I missing, won’t most people who start this game in the coming years and months have this same experience?

So the question in a nutshell is….If getting killed by higher level characters is intrinsic to the PVP experience then why does the fact that there will be higher level characters when you start the game make the experience less than optimal.

Rational answers are appreciated, since my guild will be PVP, I really want to understand.

I think what you're trying to understand is just whining and irrational complaints. Getting in a few days later WONT make a difference on PvP servers, except to those select few that try to play a game 24/7 when it's released and be the first to max out.

For those in that category, I guess you should have pre-ordered earlier :)

Edited by driedel

Turn on your mental mute button.

You're being confused by trolls. Ignore them.

PVP servers are fun, exciting and --at times-- a little frustrating.

But don't freak. The level of QQ pre-launch on any forum is off the charts.

Again, ignore them.

Pvp is fun only on equal terms, like a duel.

You don't stand a chance against someone 1000000000000000 levels above. Such ganks, while still pvp per-se, don't show any true victory or any display of skill, it's just the most basic way of pissing off another human being and being safe while at it. It's about lamers being lame.

True warriors would never engage in a fight against a weak opponent, unless they have to.

Another example of a lamer is the stalker. The guy who plays a stealth class and is not higher level but, in his cowardice, only attacks you when you are in a weakened state (having mobs on you or simple at low health). Another example of one-sided pvp.

Let's not discuss gank squads as they are as much about pvp as I'm a rocket scientist.

Pvp is fun only on equal terms, like a duel.

You don't stand a chance against someone 1000000000000000 levels above. Such ganks, while still pvp per-se, don't show any true victory or any display of skill, it's just the most basic way of pissing off another human being and being safe while at it. It's about lamers being lame.

True warriors would never engage in a fight against a weak opponent, unless they have to.

Another example of a lamer is the stalker. The guy who plays a stealth class and is not higher level but, in his cowardice, only attacks you when you are in a weakened state (having mobs on you or simple at low health). Another example of one-sided pvp.

Let's not discuss gank squads as they are as much about pvp as I'm a rocket scientist.

sounds like you should go back to wow

Unlike other MMOs you don't go to neutral faction planets you can get to eachother easily until around level 25. So there won't be horribly imbalanced ganking. Plus the planets are so large + group phases/class phases its easier to avoid unless you want to fight.

The only reason they have to moan is that if a realm is all opened at once, you get massive open world PvP battles as the players on the en masse lvl group all hit the same quest area and have a war over everything. That massive PvP battle is fun and what a lot of PvP players enjoy about a launch.

i always play on a pvp server just to learn to watch my back, honestly some of the best raiders are pvpers why cause they are aware of there surroundings and know there class when it comes to cooldowns and such. plus this is a War after all, ill never understand ppl on pve servers for that matter. Oh look a enemy let me /wave........

Its like a fraternity, but they wanted to skip the initiation. Now they're sad pandas cause they can't cruise to 50 with no one bothering them.

However, relatively its a lot easier to lvl on PvP servers during the first few months of server start. After that people get bored and ganking becomes more prevalent.

i always play on a pvp server just to learn to watch my back, honestly some of the best raiders are pvpers why cause they are aware of there surroundings and know there class when it comes to cooldowns and such. plus this is a War after all, ill never understand ppl on pve servers for that matter. Oh look a enemy let me /wave........

We are talking about gankers not pvp-ers. I hardly think the pro pve raiders got their skills from world pvp.

Just get friends and you will be fine. Might die a few times. Might die a lot if you are like me and not very good at pvp. Just have fun with your ingame friends and laugh it of on teamspeak. Or trow a huge tantrum on teamspeak and have them laugh at you.

Its all fine. Thats what guilds are for.

We are talking about gankers not pvp-ers. I hardly think the pro pve raiders got their skills from world pvp.

Red is dead , period , using the situation to your advantage is what you are supposed to do.

Whining about a stealther using , gasp , stealth , to catch you unaware and in the best possible situation for them to win just is hilarious.

Dueling is not pvp.

This.

if its red, its dead...sad but true. Thats the nature of a PvP server. Everyone gets pwned by a high level every now and then, and everyone gets ganked now and then. We all just get used to it, because we expect it on a PvP server. There are only a few reasons why someone rolls on a Pvp server.But mainly its because we like the test of skills that come with fighting REAL people, not programed npc with crappy AI..This type of post always reminds me of Mordrid server in DaoC back in the day. When you hit lvl 20...your flaged Pvp tp EVERYONE, not just the two other factions..damn that was fun, hardest,longest grind to 50 in any game i ever played lol:D... but yea if people cry because they get peter-rolled by high lvl players, log off n re-roll on a pve server or find a group....

In my experience of launches in other games, most people will be too busy leveling up to worry about ganking. Sure there will be a few high level people who go to noobie zones to do ganking but if this is the case then move to a different part of the zone.

Things normally become more of a problem as you level up a a bit but at the end of the game I have never found it a huge problem, if you get camped go make a cup of tea read your emails and smile at the thought of your gankers sitting there doing nothing.

HTH

P.s. on a personal note I will be rolling on a PvE server because I cant be bothered with the gankers. I like a bit of PvP but I dont like being at risk of being attack all the time I play but this is just personal preference.