The Sith Empire should have been unable to conquer a candy shack

Angedechu

(This is not because of Bioware, the Siths are depicted pretty much consistently like this)

Seriously, how exactly the Empire, who is supposedly a ''ordered' society, can even function ?

Plotting against fellow Naz.. I mean Sith Lords...is something, but apparently, Sith Lords routinely cause rebellions just to make their ennemies look stupid, create fake secret societies to gain power, and so forth

(this said, in theory, the Emperor is no longer really running the show. Still...)

Well, with all the crap the Empire gets into, they still have fairly dominant control on major cities. The places that you go to are the places that are currently having issues. The rest of the galaxy is under Empire control.

Also, empires historically are incredibly difficult to micromanage. And all powerful Sith who aren't currently trying to bring the Empire to power have way too much time and enjoy being ***** to each other.

It's all cyclical.

Such societies as the Empire's only function when they have a common goal to unite behind. In this case: revenge upon the republic after they, themselves, caused the initial conflict.

I don't think even the emperor wants the empire to win because if it does, and the common goal has been achieved, the lords will start tearing eachother apart, starting with the emperor himself.

Edited by Chomag

Well, without knowing that much about the expanded universe lore, it could be inferred that this is why they won't truly succeed until after the Rule of Two and once the Republic is taken down from the inside by Sidious/Palpatine.

(This is not because of Bioware, the Siths are depicted pretty much consistently like this)

Seriously, how exactly the Empire, who is supposedly a ''ordered' society, can even function ?

Plotting against fellow Naz.. I mean Sith Lords...is something, but apparently, Sith Lords routinely cause rebellions just to make their ennemies look stupid, create fake secret societies to gain power, and so forth

(this said, in theory, the Emperor is no longer really running the show. Still...)

Sounds like Rome, they lasted over 1000 years.

Well, without knowing that much about the expanded universe lore, it could be inferred that this is why they won't truly succeed until after the Rule of Two and once the Republic is taken down from the inside by Sidious/Palpatine.

Just cause Yoda says something, doesn't make it true. Maybe he meant there are only 2 'from a certain point of view'. Like maybe the Sith always come in multiples of 2.

Edited by DarthTyranid

The OP is clearing underestimating the bureaucratic incompetence that is plaguing the government of the Republic. Getting a bunch of career politicians to agree on anything is a chore. To pass any form of meaningful resolution/law/bill would require it to run the gauntlet of committees and sub-committees first. Just look at our very own Congress for an example on why this is even absurd when translated to a galactic scale.

The OP is clearing underestimating the bureaucratic incompetence that is plaguing the government of the Republic. Getting a bunch of career politicians to agree on anything is a chore. To pass any form of meaningful resolution/law/bill would require it to run the gauntlet of committees and sub-committees first. Just look at our very own Congress for an example on why this is even absurd when translated to a galactic scale.

Yes, the empire way of everyone doing the bidding of one guy who has only his own interests in mind, is way better.

When I walk through the streets of Dromand Kaas I see propaganda posters, security droids everywhere, uniformed police and military and the populace often being interogated by them. The society also rewards turning in your dissident family member and punishes entire families for having one dissident member. It just seems easier to go along with it all and as an imperial citizen you're clearly indoctrinated from youth so I suspect you wouldn't think about it much or at least see it as normal.

On top of that, in Imperial cities I see everyday citizens going about everyday tasks, street stalls, people in love and dancing in the cantinas. I come across Imperial people trying to do good and thanking me for helping them no matter how hard I try to squeeze more credits out of them. Imps who just try to work around the mad sith lords and do some good in the world.

...too much good in the empire really, I'm personally working hard at making it otherwise :eek:

Ummm they dont....didnt you see Return of the Jedi lol, the sith LOOSE.

Because it's fiction.

In the real world, a sith empire would never exist and never survive. Once you reach a certain threshold of corruption and plotting and power mongering, the society collapses. It's always happened throughout human history.

When no one respects anything or believes in anything but themselves, you can't HAVE a society.

The "rule of two" concept was ideal for the sith because they progressively became stronger and had no one to squabble with, but this "sith empire" idea is doomed to failure. Always has been, always will be.

Warrior-societies that are already so elitist that they outright kill anyone not up to their standards would lose numbers faster than they could fill them if they also slaughtered each other routinely to take their positions and power. It just doesn't work. Even at the most basic, mathematical level, it's flawed and doomed to failure.

In ALL forms of fiction... Books, TV, Movies, Games, etc, the only culture/race/whatever i've ever seen that could realistically survive constant in-fighting would be the Orks from Warhammer 40k and that's because they follow a few specific sets of rules. One being they multiple extremely quickly, don't rely on breeding with each other or have lengthy gestation periods, and they have an innate "sense" of who the biggest and strongest ork around them is and instinctively follow and obey it. They only fight orks of the same strength, they always obey stronger ones. And furthermore they only fight one another when they have nothing else to fight. If a non-ork army comes around, they drop their infighting, swarm together like a plague, and crush the enemy. :)

Edited by DarthDrexxus

Yes, the empire way of everyone doing the bidding of one guy who has only his own interests in mind, is way better.

Fear has a way of keeping people in line, for a period of time at least. After all, they have to be alive in order to advance their hidden self-interest. Keep in mind the topic we are on. We are discussing the efficiency behind the two distinctly different forms of government. The Imperial dictatorship where one person can dictate the direction of the empire is going to act more quickly than 1000 senators discussing the issue in committee.

The Sith Empire succeeds because it doesn't have to worry about morals and ethics and the like. They torture prisoners, slaughter innocents and use slave labor etc

Also Sith Lords seize every opportunity and because of the society they live in they don't have to waste time getting their plans approved by a council, as the Republic do.