Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

I don't experience ability delay. As example on my Commando the casting for Medical Probe is 1.5s which means after the animation is complete you should the heal/green text above a persons head.

I do have wonder if in some regards people are used to playing WoW, Rift etc where you can essential animation skip to the next ability you want cast.

In SW:ToR an example is Master Strike which is a 3 second channeled ability and I don't see why a player should be able to cancel it and 1 second and still have the remaining damage applied, if you can cancel a channeled ability you should lose it remaining effects.

Anyone who played Rift will know you can animation skip using macros which really leads to people doing mass amounts of damage when they shouldn't.

SW:TOR by design is not meant to be a game where animations can be skipped it is meant to portray the cinematic feel of the movies.

There is already know issues with Project and Force Lighting when the damage is applied but that is really a separate issue which needs to be addressed.

Edited by EzoEo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still curious why they unstickied this.

Reeks of trying to sweep a problem under the rug

I felt the same way when they unstickied it. It was kind of like a slap in the face. Perhaps they didn't want to shine too much light on an issue that the average casual MMO player may not even notice or understand. A number of people don't really know why the combat feels 'clunky'. This thread has done an excellent job of showing exactly what the problem is and how Bioware can fix it. Let's just hope that they are taking it as seriously as the dev post said they were.

I would be happier if we got clarification from Bioware on what exactly their plan of attack is. What, in their eyes, is the actual issue and what are they doing to fix it? Is it when damage/healing is actually occurring? Are some of the animations too long? Client/server sync off? My concern is that they aren't fully understanding what the core problem is and all we're going to get are a number of half-baked fixes that don't fix the core issue.

I used to see ability delay in warzones, that was my only concern. After the patch there is still abit of server lagg in warzones but the delay is non-existent for MOST of the abilities on 4 different toons. The excpetion being Full-auto and Mortor volley on my Trooper.

PvEI have never seen any lagg. My machine isn't great quad-core 2.5 with a Nvidia 9800 GT and only 4 gigs of RAM.

I have to wonder if all those complaining about PvE ability lagg are A.) Trolling to troll B.) have machines that can barely run the game.

In SW:ToR an example is Master Strike which is a 3 second channeled ability and I don't see why a player should be able to cancel it and 1 second and still have the remaining damage applied, if you can cancel a channeled ability you should lose it remaining effects.

There is a difference between channel and non channeled spells. No one expects you to be able to break a channeled ability and still have the full effects applied. What we expect is if the GCD is up, the ability should fire off. Non channeled animation should not negatively impact this.

My main issue is the "shutter" effect. I use an ability, may character goes half way through the animation and then stops. This can happen several times before the ability final works correctly.

Anyone who played Rift will know you can animation skip using macros which really leads to people doing mass amounts of damage when they shouldn't.

That is why we have a GCD. You are only going to use one ability every second. You are not going to sudden drop 8 attacks upon someone in an instant with a GDC system.

I used to see ability delay in warzones, that was my only concern. After the patch there is still abit of server lagg in warzones but the delay is non-existent for MOST of the abilities on 4 different toons. The excpetion being Full-auto and Mortor volley on my Trooper.

PvEI have never seen any lagg. My machine isn't great quad-core 2.5 with a Nvidia 9800 GT and only 4 gigs of RAM.

I have to wonder if all those complaining about PvE ability lagg are A.) Trolling to troll B.) have machines that can barely run the game.

Add a third option there...

C) Try to maximize dps by spamming an ability waiting for the GCD to go off, only to find out that the GCD also has an additional second added to it for animation. So you have +2 seconds between certain abilities.

an issue that the average casual MMO player may not even notice or understand

See this right here is where your whole argument falls down hard on its face. You're all like, "oh but anyone who doesn't notice it isn't playing the margins enough for it to be an issue, yadayadayada". Well balls to you, sirs. I can not (sadly) be called an inexperienced or casual MMO player by any stretch of the imagination - and I have no "ability delay", zero, none at all. I press an instant and bam it goes off, start channeling or casting something and bam it starts, when I press the button and not shortly afterwards.

If you can't aknowledge the fact that it might be something only some of you are experiencing, due to oh I don't kow, server lag maybe, then it's sort of easy to dismiss the whole thing as "things don't feel exactly like they do in wow, ergo its broken".

I will admit that some people seem to think that this "ability delay" is due to the slower GCD (it's not....I recognize that there's a difference) and want things to be more like WoW.

I personally don't want that...I'm fine with the whole animation thing. But don't tell me an ability is "instant," like my backstab, but only if a character doesn't turn to face me during the animation. Don't tell me my AoE kb is "instant" when it really takes almost 1.5 seconds to apply the interrupt effect.

Another issue is that some animations go LONGER than the GCD, which is...stupid, to say the least.

Also, shameless bump to keep this on the front page. If BW is going to try to ignore this problem by unstickying it...I'm gonna do my part to make sure it stays on the first page.

See this right here is where your whole argument falls down hard on its face. You're all like, "oh but anyone who doesn't notice it isn't playing the margins enough for it to be an issue, yadayadayada". Well balls to you, sirs. I can not (sadly) be called an inexperienced or casual MMO player by any stretch of the imagination - and I have no "ability delay", zero, none at all. I press an instant and bam it goes off, start channeling or casting something and bam it starts, when I press the button and not shortly afterwards.

If you can't aknowledge the fact that it might be something only some of you are experiencing, due to oh I don't kow, server lag maybe, then it's sort of easy to dismiss the whole thing as "things don't feel exactly like they do in wow, ergo its broken".

My dad is quite the casual gamer and he notices it on his consular after he got a certain spell.

Now would you please tell me what class you have? Because I played Rift (much more graphically intense then this game) and I NEVER EVER had ability delay like in TOR.

Please stop with the arrogance, it hurts the community. (I should have this as my sig... hmm...)

I canceled my subscription due to this issue and I was not happy to do so. I want this issue to be resolved, so that I may enjoy this game. I was beyond elated at this game when it first released and played it more than I care to mention, but this problem was simply too much for me to handle any more. Once this issue is resolved, I can easily deal with any other issues that may occur, but when my character doesn't jump when I say jump, or interrupt/shoot/attack etc. etc. when I "tell" it to, I will not be a paying subscriber. (Which irritates me to no end, since I do very much love every aspect of the game sans this particular issue. To be fair/honest I dislike bolstering in PVP as well but that's neither here nor there. Some of the issues that I had with eternity vault and Bonethrasher would've been worth mentioning but apparently 1.1 nipped some of those in the butt.)

The bottom line is, if my character doesn't react IMMEDIATELY when I press a button to make it do so (Whether or not some of you have or notice the issue is irrelevant b/c it would seem that an awful lot DO.) I cannot accept this. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE SOON DEVS!

Be quiet and play the game if you " think" have no delay.

You forgot to derp about setting the queue to 0.0

Sorry but your experiencing it too lol. Nice try though?

Except bioware has openly acknowledged the issue stating that it does exist and is a known problem, but we must just making it up, and apparently they are too right?

I wonder what it's like to be this bad.

I canceled my subscription due to this issue and I was not happy to do so. I want this issue to be resolved, so that I may enjoy this game. I was beyond elated at this game when it first released and played it more than I care to mention, but this problem was simply too much for me to handle any more. Once this issue is resolved, I can easily deal with any other issues that may occur, but when my character doesn't jump when I say jump, or interrupt/shoot/attack etc. etc. when I "tell" it to, I will not be a paying subscriber. (Which irritates me to no end, since I do very much love every aspect of the game sans this particular issue. To be fair/honest I dislike bolstering in PVP as well but that's neither here nor there. Some of the issues that I had with eternity vault and Bonethrasher would've been worth mentioning but apparently 1.1 nipped some of those in the butt.)

The bottom line is, if my character doesn't react IMMEDIATELY when I press a button to make it do so (Whether or not some of you have or notice the issue is irrelevant b/c it would seem that an awful lot DO.) I cannot accept this. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE SOON DEVS!

This is pretty much the only reason i cancelled my sub. Its pretty much game breaking. Once they resolve it I will consider coming back.

I don't experience ability delay. As example on my Commando the casting for Medical Probe is 1.5s which means after the animation is complete you should the heal/green text above a persons head.

I do have wonder if in some regards people are used to playing WoW, Rift etc where you can essential animation skip to the next ability you want cast.

Anyone who played Rift will know you can animation using macros which really leads to people doing mass amounts of damage when they shouldn't.

SW:TOR by design is not meant to be a game where animations can be skipped it is meant to portray the cinematic feel of the movies.

There is already know issues with Project and Force Lighting when the damage is applied but that is really a separate issue which needs to be addressed.

You dont know what you are talking about. What you described is NOT the issue.

Watch some videos which have been posted.

What makes the game which's name shall not be mentioned is that responsiveness. For example, when I gauge with my undead rogue in that game, it's really instant both for me and the gauged side(or gaugee, however it is called :) ).

This is not WoW. Good and responsive gameplay ruins the community!

What makes the game which's name shall not be mentioned is that responsiveness. For example, when I gauge with my undead rogue in that game, it's really instant both for me and the gauged side(or gaugee, however it is called :) ).

Yea, that **** is instant, or a tie at best, you cant juke it.

Hey Guys. I also have experienced more of a delay with my level 50 Smuggler. My low level Jedi Knight seems not to have this issue.

Mainly I have a problem with instances I'm finding. Especially on the story stuff in Illum.

I thought it was my connection, but I noticed that some of the cooldown markers on the hotbar don't refresh. It's like they get stuck. I end up spamming those buttons because I don't know if it's up or not, so I guess when to hit it.

The cover system also seems a little unresponsive. I will hit the F key and wait maybe two seconds for my guy to kneel down. This gets very frustrating when fighting in tight situations. There have been times when I haven't been able to kneel also for no apparent reason. Triage also doesn't seem to work on some debuffs, but work on those same debuffs later on in that fight or another fight.

I have not voiced my concerns because I know not everyone is experiencing these issues and just assumed it must be my internet connection or something since it's not all the time.

Hey Guys. I also have experienced more of a delay with my level 50 Smuggler. My low level Jedi Knight seems not to have this issue.

Mainly I have a problem with instances I'm finding. Especially on the story stuff in Illum.

I thought it was my connection, but I noticed that some of the cooldown markers on the hotbar don't refresh. It's like they get stuck. I end up spamming those buttons because I don't know if it's up or not, so I guess when to hit it.

The cover system also seems a little unresponsive. I will hit the F key and wait maybe two seconds for my guy to kneel down. This gets very frustrating when fighting in tight situations. There have been times when I haven't been able to kneel also for no apparent reason. Triage also doesn't seem to work on some debuffs, but work on those same debuffs later on in that fight or another fight.

I have not voiced my concerns because I know not everyone is experiencing these issues and just assumed it must be my internet connection or something since it's not all the time.

Wish it were only internet connection issues, however, its because of the so called hero engine.