Do you support an in game version of Recount. Please give reasons for your answer.

Israel

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't a self created problem if they never implement a *********** DPS meter. Then it isn't a problem at all, is it.

Then it is a problem for those of us who want the ability to perform better. Stop being selfish.

Then it is a problem for those of us who want the ability to perform better. Stop being selfish.

I'm sorry but from your posting it sounds like it's impossible to perform better without this. Which is, frankly, bollocks.

I actually changed my opinion on this.

I think any type of recount, even self only is bad for the game due to the abuse it can bring.

I am all up for a in-game training room on the guild ships (or other places to be determined) though. One in wich you can hit dummies and a console shows your dps/hps/tps.

That is without a doubt the best solution for min-maxing without affecting the social aspect of the game.

Edited by Nemmar

I'm sorry but from your posting it sounds like it's impossible to perform better without this. Which is, frankly, bollocks.

How do you know you are performing better if you have nothing that tells you that you are? Guessing?

As a long time recount user in WoW, I dont see a need for it here, yet. If your the type to use recount, and use it to its fullest, then you should be skilled enough to know if your dps'n correctly and efficiently. The only thing a recount will do now, is to min/max your dps. I just dont see a need as of yet for it.

Are the raids hard enough where its necessary to max your dps? At the moment, I dont think so.

As a long time recount user in WoW, I dont see a need for it here, yet. If your the type to use recount, and use it to its fullest, then you should be skilled enough to know if your dps'n correctly and efficiently. The only thing a recount will do now, is to min/max your dps. I just dont see a need as of yet for it.

Are the raids hard enough where its necessary to max your dps? At the moment, I dont think so.

Unfortunately this ^

I am an addon advocate but until BW actually adds challenging content do players even need to max? People are burning through content now and we don't even have any clue if abilities are even working correctly, what optimal rotations are, optimal gear setups, etc. None of that is even needed yet. Basically get to 50 and be able to breathe and you are all set.

In my opinion, and that is all we see in this forum is peoples opinions, it is those who demand a DPS meter that are being the selfish ones.

If you want to know how you are doing watch your screen. You can see how much damage each attack does. Take that damage value, divide it by how long it takes to cast and you have a rough dps value per attack right there. Divide your dps by how much resource it uses and you know how efficient each attack is. Then you can set your rotation by approximate fight length. I know it is not as accurate as a dps meter since they take that .5 sec you didn't cast anything into account, but you should be able to figure out your optimal rotation just with that.

DPS meters eventually force people into: going with FotM specs, everyone using (or at least hoping to) the exact same gear, everyone using the exact same rotation etc. In other words the game becomes WoW with light sabers and blasters. If that is what someone wants they should play WoW.

Of course like I said at the beginning of this post, this is my opinion and... Opinions are like *** holes, everybody has one and most of them stink.

How do you know you are performing better if you have nothing that tells you that you are? Guessing?

It you're fighting mobs it is pretty easy to tell.

It is shocking how many players seemingly have no idea what to do without a dps meter.

You don't have a dps meter now are you completely clueless if you are doing good or bad?

I think the reason I've decided to quit has less to do with the meter itself and more to do with what forbidding it says about the direction SWTOR will take. I'm not really interested in just casually hangin' out "no pressure" kinda MMO play. I can do casual games all day, and I even love many of them, but MMORPG is not "casual space" in my brain for some reason. I'll play the living **** out of BoomBlox on the Wii with friends for instance. But having a saccharine cuddlefest with strangers in an MMORPG just sounds weak.

I'm just fundamentally uninterested in the direction they're taking.

Edited by AlpsStranger

It you're fighting mobs it is pretty easy to tell.

It is shocking how many players seemingly have no idea what to do without a dps meter.

You don't have a dps meter now are you completely clueless if you are doing good or bad?

Good or bad? That's subjective. Most people equate good with dead mob and bad with dead player.

Maximum output? That can be objective but only if you have logs. Some out there treat achieving maximum output almost as a mini-game and they enjoy trying to get there. I for one have no issues with that. They should be able to play that way if they want.

And yes to randomly spamming abilities hoping that it is optimal?

Learn to play. You don't need anything but a mob to fight to determine if you are doing better. It is scary that players think the only way to tell what you are doing is from a dps parser.

That reality should make Bioware reconsider even personal parsers so people focus on learning to play the game.

I simply can't wait. If you want meters that optimize dps rotation and cookie cutter specs, WoW is the game for you. I just wish people would stop trying to make this "WoW Wars".

:rolleyes:

Panda patch is said to add lightsabers too... but also it will disable mod support... wierd stuff...

Learn to play. You don't need anything but a mob to fight to determine if you are doing better. It is scary that players think the only way to tell what you are doing is from a dps parser.

That reality should make Bioware reconsider even personal parsers so people focus on learning to play the game.

How can you learn to play if you don't know if you are doing the best you can? No one cares about dps meters for leveling. You can use the default free attack and kill normal mobs. But if you are wiping over and over in an operation or flashpoint and can't tell why, well that isn't very fun.

How can you learn to play if you don't know if you are doing the best you can? No one cares about dps meters for leveling. You can use the default free attack and kill normal mobs. But if you are wiping over and over in an operation or flashpoint and can't tell why, well that isn't very fun.

Lol what? How can you learn to play if you don't know what you are doing? This can't be serious.

When you are fighting mobs what is your goal? Do you know people have killed 100s of thousands of raid bosses without dps parsers? Millions actually. Do you think all of them died on the first try?

If learning how to improve via gameplay is too hard I don't know what to tell you.

Lol what? How can you learn to play if you don't know what you are doing? This can't be serious.

When you are fighting mobs what is your goal? Do you know people have killed 100s of thousands of raid bosses without dps parsers? Millions actually. Do you think all of them died on the first try?

If learning how to improve via gameplay is too hard I don't know what to tell you.

You aren't very smart.

I think the reason I've decided to quit has less to do with the meter itself and more to do with what forbidding it says about the direction SWTOR will take. I'm not really interested in just casually hangin' out "no pressure" kinda MMO play. I can do casual games all day, and I even love many of them, but MMORPG is not "casual space" in my brain for some reason. I'll play the living **** out of BoomBlox on the Wii with friends for instance. But having a saccharine cuddlefest with strangers in an MMORPG just sounds weak.

I'm just fundamentally uninterested in the direction they're taking.

I'm confused by you. Is it "a saccharine cuddlefest with strangers in an MMORPG" because it doesn't have a DPS meter? I thought you were saying earlier that it was not possible to beat all content without meters because you have to be able to min/max and see who isn't min/maxing to do so. Doesn't sound all happy happy joy joy to me.

Good luck in WoW or the next WoW clone you decide play.

That's one way to do it and people have every right to approach raiding in that way if they want.

People should also be able to approach raiding using tools like Recount, Omen, etc to approach content in the way THEY want.

Neither way is inherently wrong. One might be more efficient than the other but both ways should be allowed.

ever wonder why you are given new abilities slowly as you level? I don't see the fun in spamming the same button over and over until some mod tells me what combo is best.

ever wonder why you are given new abilities slowly as you level? I don't see the fun in spamming the same button over and over until some mod tells me what combo is best.

Slowly? This game jammed new abilities at me faster than I could fill my action bar.

uh...so you have something to look forward to when you level. No one is forcing you to use any mods. With that said hopefully bw can tell by all these threads that the people in favor of mods generally don't seem to like the idea of a dbm in this game.

Mods were made to help, but they are RARELY used as such. Always assume that players will abuse the privilege of having mods.

I see no reason for any type of mod like Recount in the game right now. I am doing just fine, and so have all the operations I have been in. It's really nice because people are just enjoying themselves, and so am I. I don't care if a Flashpoint or Operation takes longer because someone isn't geared, I'm just here to enjoy myself.