No way to check other people ?

Angedechu

I admit that in ''the other game'' stuff like gearscore had gnarly effects...

but correct me if I'm wrong, but there is positively NO way right now to see if someone is correctly geared/specced for the content

Fortunately, Bioware (cleverly) made it pretty much impossible to people to get gear that is woefully inadequate for their spec, but people still spec for healing and tanking in horrible ways....

I imagine that some operation leaders are in for a serious SHOCK when they try to fill their team.

Edited by Angedechu

I admit that in ''the other game'' stuff like gearscore had gnarly effects...

but correct me if I'm wrong, but there is positively NO way right now to see if someone is correctly geared/specced for the content

Fortunately, Bioware (cleverly) made it pretty much impossible to people to get gear that is woefully inadequate for their spec, but people still spec for healing and tanking in horrible ways....

I imagine that some operation leaders are in for a serious SHOCK when they try to fill their team.

If you're pugging a raid, you're doing something terribly wrong anyhow.

Pugs are notoriously bad ideas for raids.

Edited by Wingofbenu

If you're pugging a raid, you're doing something terribly wrong anyhow.

Pug healed hutt hospitality, doing EV on friday since the rest of my guild is still leveling...

*EDIT -- you can inspect by right clicking their portrait, it's in one of the submenus.

Edited by Battyone

We need something like gearscore imo. Maybe not right now but in a few weeks the game will fail if they dont add something to check if a player has skill.

Gearscore doesn't show player skill. I've carried a lot of people to gear in my life in WoW who would have ach and GS but still stand in the fire or cause wipes on trash. It was well worth the gold they paid me and the competent raiders I played with so they could.

We need something like gearscore imo. Maybe not right now but in a few weeks the game will fail if they dont add something to check if a player has skill.

your statement reads a lot like the quoted nonsense in your signature. How can one determine a stranger's skill merely by looking at a arbitrary number?

your statement reads a lot like the quoted nonsense in your signature. How can one determine a stranger's skill merely by looking at a arbitrary number?

There's a positive correlation between good gear choices and player skill. If someone has the right choices for gear it is more likely that they know how to play their class well.

Gear Score is no different from compiling an outside the game table of stat balances and comparing it to what you see in the inspect panel. It just has it in the game, and reduces the burden of knowledge for classes you don't play.

Edited by Kenmuir

Wrong. So many things that popped up in WoW that I initially liked for the convenience factor pulled the soul out of the game. GS is one of many.

I group with people that are appropriate level, see if they are competent players, friend them, ask them to participate in whatever FP/group later. I don't need GS to tell me if the tank I'm healing has his head on straight. If their gear is sub par, but they are skilled, we'll get through the encounter. If they have great gear but are brainless, we fail.

The problem for the WoW ADD types (I was one too) is this takes TIME and you have to be social... crazy concept in a MMO.

Edited by Wintor

Gearscore measures a Player's potential; which is very useful

If one has a high Gearscore, there's a higher chance that they are good at the game, than if they have a low Gearscore. This is simple statistics. Also, a bad player with good gear will perform better than a bad player with bad gear

You can manually inspect people ? How ?

OP...to answer your question...select a player, right click on their portrait, highlight/click on "additional options" (its at the far bottom of the pop-up box). Now a second box with more options appears and you can select "Inspect Player" to see all of their gear and stats.

Edited by StrandtheMan

Gearscore measures a Player's potential; which is very useful

If one has a high Gearscore, there's a higher chance that they are good at the game, than if they have a low Gearscore. This is simple statistics. Also, a bad player with good gear will perform better than a bad player with bad gear

It also has the potential for people to be massive Aholes everytime you go to join a group if you don't have EXACTLY what they think you should have. No thanks. Din't like it then, don't want it here now. As plenty of others have said gear and skill are two different things.

I want to group with people who know how to play, not people who are gonna complain about 1 groupmates gear number being slightly lower than someone elses.

gearscore does not = skill what are u guys thinking with?

It frequently meant people equipped gear that wasn't bis or even for their spec just to get the right GS to enter some raid.

It's not the case for all but it certainly didn't guarantee any abilities. Or people bought stuff off the AH to get a respectable GS. Again that doesn't really require skill just ability to make gold/farm effectively/buy gold etc.

It frequently meant people equipped gear that wasn't bis or even for their spec just to get the right GS to enter some raid.

Hah! Exactly. In WoW I had four equipment sets for my mage: Raid (with raid hit levels), Daily Heroic (with the hit scaled back for more crit and haste), PvP, and an LFG set that just maxed ilvl. Sometimes these would coincide, but mostly the LFG set would be a disaster (meaning, suboptimal) if I tried to play with it. I'd revert to the appropriate gear set when I entered the raid/heroic/BG. The point is that sometimes BIS does not always provide the highest gearscore.

I think an achievement system would work better. I'd rather have someone in the group who has visited the place before and knows what to do over someone who just has high level gear that may or may not be appropriately equipped.

Vyto

Ashen Progeny on Death Wind Corridor