The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

BioWare: "most" people aren't having SWTOR performance issues

Raggnarok

Bull crap Ohlen. I've lost track of the numbers of players with extremely high-end machines complaining about exactly the problem described in the article.

So Bioware's stance is simply going to be to deny the issue exists and foist it off on "low-end machines?" My i7 with 12 gigs of RAM and HD6970 would like a word with you, Mr. Ohlen.

Well you machine trounces mine baed on those specs and I have zero performance issues...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost sounds like those with high end systems are running everything maxed out, which is expected.

And those like myself with a core duo have the setting set to about 80% maxed, with NO issues.

Maybe it's not performance, but a setting that is just glitched to hell.

Try bringing down the bars or remove a checkmark one at a time and see if it improves.

Had issues like this with Warhammer where I was more than beefy enough to take it on but there was a graphical switch that caused mayhem. Once I removed it I ran like a champ.

Took them awhile to get around to fix it.

Edited by Fraxture

All you people saying you are having no performance problems must be quite stupid, get out of ur little questing areas and join a warzone, lemme know how many of you are running above 60 FPS during the whole match

Actually... I stay around 50-60 FPS during the entire match, it's my latency that goes berserk.

Yes, 30-45 FPS is very good.

Is it perfect? No, but it is NORMAL and decent.

Higher FPS, absolutely, a good thing, but 30-50 FPS is playable and GOOD

ANd those 'huge numbers of people' are a minority. Sorry, but that's what they are.

The MAJORITY play this game just fine

Again, look at the numbers.

****! I just said there are no performance issues.... there are no issues with the game its perfect.... I must be mistaken that every other title I have runs fine at max settings... oh wait I cant test max settings on here because they are disabled....

would you say that 5%-10% of people was not a lot? erm by my maths 5% of 2 million is 100 thousand people. so even using biowares "guess" thats 100 thousand people having issues. GET A GRIP! if a car sold 2 million units and 100 thousand did not work properly it would bankrupt the company who made it in returns alone!!!!

Just because this product is digital gives it no excuse to be badly made!!!

Why can't people understand the difference between performance issues and localized performance issues?

Performance issues are rare, and yes typically involve lower end PCs.

Localized performance issues are instances where you're typically fine, but see a drop in performance in specific areas. This is a bug. This has been acknowledged. This will get fixed.

Edited by Zeppelin

What do they consider "performance concerns?" How severe do they need to be, to be counted?

The game is very playable for me, but FPS is definitely on the low side, in many areas. For example, it was ok in Tatooine, but a little stuttery in Alderaan.. no matter what graphics options I try.

There's no way in hell that I'm at the bottom 5% in PC performance. I built this thing myself, and it's done exceptionally well at running every other game that's come out in the past year.. but maybe he means only 5% of people are having performance issues that are so bad, the game is unplayable?

Edited by Vihazur

The game has an issue where once the temp files that swtor creates gets overloaded, it flushes them and starts to reload again. This causes stuttering on most machines unless you have an SSD or are using your RAM to load the temp files.

I mean, the game runs better on my GPU with AA being forced on 8 than it is when its being forced to 2. I have to load the temps to ram or else I'll get massive stuttering every once in a while. Fleet frames plummet whenever I go into the central area. Character textures look horrible and they still take forever to load. There's still issues with some planets having pretty big memory leaks causing the client to crash after a while.

This is all one a 2500k OCed to 4.3ghz, 6870 and 8 GB of Ram so I can say that I'm well above the "average" consumer when it comes to system specs.

Why can't people understand the difference between performance issues and localized performance issues?

Localized performance issues are instances where you're typically fine, but see a drop in performance in specific areas. This is a bug. This has been acknowledged. This will get fixed.

Exactly. Why this is beyond the grasp of some people....who knows.

I run all settings on high and the only thing i have seen so far bad is the trees like to go wonky black. Does the same thing on my wife's computer.

Shes on a republic of gamers laptop from Asus and im on a custom rig i built. Performance has been solid on both machines so far. Game is installed on its own ssd there's like almost 0 load times lol.

All you people saying you are having no performance problems must be quite stupid, get out of ur little questing areas and join a warzone, lemme know how many of you are running above 60 FPS during the whole match

Once again, me. I still run about 70-80 fps in warzones. It's true that i have over 100 in questing areas, but i am more than fine with over 70 in warzones. Maybe you should learn to adjust your PC before calling people stupid?

MOST people arn't having performance issues because most people arn't in areas that cause performance issues...So i guess technically he's right.

I can PvE all day long in any instance, level on any planet, and will maintain great FPS on high settings. As soon as i enter a pvp zone, or the imperial fleet performance drops from 100 fps to 10-20 (with shadows), 20-25 (without shadows).

It's clear to me that there's something seriously wrong with the way the engine is handeling spells, movement, and other abilites from players in big group settings.

when I say I have no issues I mean no issues, your first sentence is just plain naive.

Edited by fdswer

the game stutters in warzones and in the fleets; if u say otherwise ur lying.

Forgot Warzones! Holy cow those play awful for me as well. Just as bad as empire station in most cases. So much fun playing a sniper where you have to drop to cover before attacking...like playing the game with 5 seconds of lag when you hit attack, movement and such is ok, but man you have to sit there waiting for your attack to go through forever!!!!

Some claim to not see these issues so I guess strong enough hardware makes a difference but I don't think enough people have that kind of hardware to consider this a minor issue. The game runs great on a lot of hardware but in certain areas runs like....terrible, it runs terrible in certain areas like warzones and empire station for a lot of people.

the game stutters in warzones and in the fleets; if u say otherwise ur lying.

I have not gone to Illium yet, but other than that I have been everywhere. I have a constant 60-110 FPS with the occasional (1 second) dips to 40 FPS. Those dips happen in any location, inside, outside, people around or not.

I've played warzones and helped my guild take down world bosses and I go to the fleet periodically. None of those places have issues for me. Oh and I am on a "why did you buy a Mac" running bootcamp.

"Most" of swtor users don't have the ultra-high end machines that everyone is claiming to have problems with.

I don't, and i get 30-40fps on my GTX 250 card which is my bottleneck right now. I can still play. I know I need to upgrade, but I have no desire to put out hundreds of dollars on something that I can play all of my games fine right now so...

Also, "most" of the swtor users don't go on the forums at all. "most" of them choose to play the game quietly and/or put in tickets using the in-game system. The ones on the forums, are usually people who are very vocal in real life about things and/or always have to say something so that everyone can see it.

Nothing against the forums, but if you correlate forum posts with what the population is feeling or saying as being 100% accurate, man... we'd have issues.

Bull crap Ohlen. I've lost track of the numbers of players with extremely high-end machines complaining about exactly the problem described in the article.

So Bioware's stance is simply going to be to deny the issue exists and foist it off on "low-end machines?" My i7 with 12 gigs of RAM and HD6970 would like a word with you, Mr. Ohlen.

My Phenom II 940 with 4 gigs of ram and 6870 is doing fine... YOU, sire, are doing something wrong.

I was in the not having issues camp. Then I decided to buy a Crucial M4 SSD as an OS drive.

I loaded Win 7 back on. Downloaded all the updates for Windows, mobo, and Vidcard and now I'm having issues.

I'm not sure what changed (other than the SSD) that could be doing it, but my FPS spikes all the way down to 20fps on a GTX580.

I'm sad. :(

Read the full article here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-10-bioware-most-people-arent-having-swtor-performance-issues

Perfectly shows how detached BioWare is from its community and confirms my decision not to continue playing this technological POS.

I have to agree with the ARTICLE.

My PC is mid-range at best and designed for Business use, not game play and I have no performance issues at all, playing at 1920 x 1200 with all settings on max.

5% of 2 million is a lot of people. And MOST the people I talk to who have problems, dont have low end computers, which invalidates everything else he said.

No, 5% from any given amount is not a lot. Even though i wouldn't mind getting 5% of a billion euros, it still isn't a lot from that sum even though it's a lot of money.

Complaining about performance-issues on a BW-game is unnecessary, it was the exact same bugs/issues in KOTOR, KOTOR2, Mass Effect & Mass Effect 2.

BW is incapable of sorting transparent & opaque polygons separately and follow simple 3D-standards in drawing-routines and this always leads to the same bad result. It's the same problem every beginner in 3D-programming encounters.

BW still havent been able to fix their old games, don't ever think they will be able to fix this one.

Hope so.. Cuz if they try to sum this up with ability delay, then I'm pretty much done with this game