BioWare: "most" people aren't having SWTOR performance issues

Raggnarok

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't speak to being "intentionally misled" at all. I hear this complaint about every "MMO" in existence. The wire used to establish your internet connection and/or voltage differences between your homes on those very same lines could make a world of difference in your fps as well as the internet equipment used (routers etc).

Stop that.

There is a difference between FPS lag and internet latency. I have a 100mbps connection and have issues in TOR. I don't have issues in any other games - at all. My connection has remained the same throughout all.

So, naturally, I would assume the issue is with something in BW's coding.

Read the full article here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-10-bioware-most-people-arent-having-swtor-performance-issues

Perfectly shows how detached BioWare is from its community and confirms my decision not to continue playing this technological POS.

OR...

You can go over to that 100+ page thread talking about high res textures and see oodles and oodles of people claiming their PC is doing just fine and they want to put more of a load on it.

I love it! One thread complaining the game isn't 'heavy' enough while this thread is complaining the game is too 'heavy'. (performance expectations aside)

Well of course that is the case more than likely. I haven't found any issues that would cause me to rage though.

Oh, well apparently the majority of players have :p

One very heated topic: Technical issues causing raids to drop/have problems

Another heated topic: Random crashes and CPU Spikes for some

And there were certainly numerous other issues that have fortunately been fixed in last patches - though obviously they shouldn't have been present to begin with (e.g. chat issue). I can understand minor bugs, etc in a new release - but gamebreaking flaws are unacceptable in my book when you've spent 5 years on a game.

I would post the links to the above topics, but I didn't bookmark and they've since been buried. They may resurface as others repost.

Which would be the complete and wholly wrong assumption to make.

How so? TOR isn't Skyrim. It's not BF3. It's not the next Crysis. It's an MMO, and was intended to be run on an average modern system (if they targeted only $2000 rigs to play a game, it would take them 6 years to pay off what they spent to develop the game. So average joe's have to be able to play).

The fact that it CAN'T be run on reasonable settings on many high-end systems - and that results are inconsistent on IDENTICAL systems - shows that there is a major lack of optimization within the game. Optimization is something only BW can do, unless they intend to release their code to the public (LOL at that).

So, the above FACTS, coupled with my own personal knowledge and experience makes my assertion perfectly logical.

What, you going to tell me my system isn't good enough, even though I could run Skyrim and BF3 on highest?

EDIT: Btw, the double post wasn't intentional - I was reply to two different people. So happened everyone else stopped talking for a second ...

Edited by lentWolf

So, the above FACTS, coupled with my own personal knowledge and experience makes my assertion perfectly logical.

Lol, ok dude. You can't be educated, I will move on.

FYI, if there were truly coding issues as you say. More people would be affected.

Run a temperature montior--GPU-Z and RealTemp are two great ones. (One for the video card, the other for the CPU.)

I have frame rate issues only when there are more than 10 folks in the area, but I sure as heck have heat issues. Video card heat steadily climbs and peaked at 87C last night. Sure hope TOR has a partnership with ATI and nVidia--TOR is going to sell a bunch of video cards. A month or so running that hot and we are going to see lots and lots of cards start to cook.

Just for a comparison. While the cards was still at 87C I loaded up BF3, played with high detail, max res--temperature dropped to 69C.

There is something definitely not right. But most gamers won't realize there is a problem until they start to see artifacts on the screen--the first sign of a card that has over heated.

Specs: Intel i7 930 w/ Asus GTX 560 Ti (285.62 drivers) Win7-64

Edited by Zhit

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4450e Dual Core processor, 3 gigs of ram, and A Nvidia GeForce GT 520 1gig vid card. My low end machine, plays this game just fine on medium settings. I ran it just fine on low end settings with a Radeon 4750 512 mb vid card. The issue isn't on the publishers end, more likely is these higher end machines have driver issues, bad componets, etc. and let's not rule out user error. Just my two cents, thanks and good day.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4450e Dual Core processor, 3 gigs of ram, and A Nvidia GeForce GT 520 1gig vid card. My low end machine, plays this game just fine on medium settings. I ran it just fine on low end settings with a Radeon 4750 512 mb vid card. The issue isn't on the publishers end, more likely is these higher end machines have driver issues, bad componets, etc. and let's not rule out user error. Just my two cents, thanks and good day.

Run GPU-Z, play the game for an hour or so, then come back and tell us the temperature of your GPU.

Lol, ok dude. You can't be educated, I will move on.

FYI, if there were truly coding issues as you say. More people would be affected.

How many more people need be affected? Take a couple glances throughout the forums, and you'll see plenty of individuals with their own performance issues within TOR (and typically limited to TOR).

There have been hundreds of posts just in the past few days from 'hardcore' MMO gamers with high-end systems that are having major issues.

The last time I remember seeing this in a major game release was Bad Company 2 with DICE. They, too, had an optimization problem (and later acknowledged and fixed it within a few weeks). The reason it seems like an optimization issue is that fact that you have people with identical rigs, getting varying levels of performance.

We have a guy in our guild with a $2.5k system, been building computers since they first started for the military. I believe he knows his **** - so when he says he can't play TOR, I believe him. Even low settings are giving him issues.

We have a young lady in our guild who has a $600 Walmart laptop that can play TOR, albeit on minimal settings, with no problems whatsoever.

In the apartment next door, there are two brothers, whom have the same system (one of the higher-end, overpriced ones from Alienware). One gets around 60FPS consistently, one gets around 20FPS max. Both have checked drivers, run AV's, etc. The latter even formatted to double check - yet they still have DIFFERENT results.

That's a small sample - but obviously there's a major problem SOMEWHERE within BW's side. I don't know if it's their server config, or if it's something within the client, but there are some major performance issues needing addressed.

Edited by lentWolf

Oh, well apparently the majority of players have :p

No. In reality you have no idea what the "majority" is in neither this game nor any other. Overly generalized claims of this nature are neither constructive nor helpful; they are just overly generalized claims.

One very heated topic: Technical issues causing raids to drop/have problems

Another heated topic: Random crashes and CPU Spikes for some

And there were certainly numerous other issues that have fortunately been fixed in last patches - though obviously they shouldn't have been present to begin with (e.g. chat issue). I can understand minor bugs, etc in a new release - but gamebreaking flaws are unacceptable in my book when you've spent 5 years on a game.

I would post the links to the above topics, but I didn't bookmark and they've since been buried. They may resurface as others repost.

There is no game that doesn't have a myriad of issues posted about it in its forums. That is one of the functions of having a forum. You make the statement highlighted above and then knowingly (?) contradict it. These are not "gamebreaking" issues in my world.

Edited by Solar

i5 2500k / GTX 570 / 8GB DDR3

It's a mid/high machine.

I thought for the longest time I was having glitches and issues... then I came to understand it was actually combat ability delay.

I wish I has having glitches compared to that.

/sadness

Run GPU-Z, play the game for an hour or so, then come back and tell us the temperature of your GPU.

No need to wait for an hour on this, I run Msi software and my gpu runs at a balmy 36 - 45 celsius, for those who don't know the conversion that's 96.8 - 113 fahrenheit. No overheating dangers in my neck of the woods, thanks for the concern though.

LOLOL

I said it before and i'll say it again, why are you people getting so worked up over a news release from BW that is 100% Public Relations Propaganda?

THERE IS NO WAY BIOWARE KNOWS EXACTLY HOW MANY USERS SUFFER PROBLEMS BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF PLAYERS DO NO VISIT FORUMS AND DO NO SUBMIT TICKETS.

Most people, if they have problems, will simply quit playing the game. They wont get online and complain on a forum.

Do not assume you are the majority regardless of which side of this issue you are on, that is extremely stupid.

When i had my day off, i played for about 8 hours. OK, i did have a cig brakes, but i did have the game running all the time and, as i ALWAYS do, i had the temp monitors running.

Same thing as i allways have, my temp never went over 60 celcius. Maybe you do not know how to cool your computer?

No. In reality you have no idea what the "majority" is in this game nor any other. Overly generalized claims of this nature are neither constructive nor helpful; they are just overly generalized claims.

There is no game that doesn't have a myriad of issues posted about it in its forums. That is one of the functions of having a forum. You make the statement highlighted above and then knowingly (?) contradict it. These are not "gamebreaking" issues in my world.

Randomly crashing isn't gamebreaking? Perhaps I should have defined 'gamebreaking' better: A royal pain in the *** that interrupts the game in a degenerative fashion. If the game crashed at the launcher every time, I'm sure you'd agree it's 'gamebreaking'. Likewise, randomly crashing once: understandable, happens. But having these unidentifiable crashes consistently (which is what I was referring to; still random, because you don't know WHAT is causing it) is gamebreaking.

Having overheating issues is computer-breaking, and therefore gamebreaking.

Waiting an hour to get a good raid together and having tech issues on the game's side drop out players, make players fall through textures, or otherwise disrupt/cancel the raid, is gamebreaking in my opinion.

I've always understood 'gamebreaking' to be anything big enough that it might directly inhibit the players' progression and/or enjoyment of the game. A single crash, again, wouldn't be what I would consider gamebreaking.

Having ABOVE the recommended specs for the game, yet unable to play at a reasonable framerate on low-moderate settings? I would daresay that's gamebreaking for those with the issue.

There have been many people posting with the above and similar issues.

Sure, I don't know an actual number, so I can't literally determine an exact majority/minority. But notice I used 'apparently' - I was basing that statement off of what I have seen going on - it was opinionated. My point remains - the issues are present, and the issues need addressed.

So, kindly stop nitpicking over the wording and look at the reasoning, instead. This game needs optimization - you don't have problems, so it seems you've conlcuded that noone else should have problems.

Edited by lentWolf

LOLOL

I said it before and i'll say it again, why are you people getting so worked up over a news release from BW that is 100% Public Relations Propaganda?

THERE IS NO WAY BIOWARE KNOWS EXACTLY HOW MANY USERS SUFFER PROBLEMS BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF PLAYERS DO NO VISIT FORUMS AND DO NO SUBMIT TICKETS.

Most people, if they have problems, will simply quit playing the game. They wont get online and complain on a forum.

Do not assume you are the majority regardless of which side of this issue you are on, that is extremely stupid.

Have you ever heard of the word statistics? That actually means quite much. Maybe you should buy a dictionary and look that word up as you actually seem to be out of the loop...

Edited by Meluna

I admit that this game is poorly utilize. What BW should had done is a system scanner like Blizzard to let them know the general consensus or at least give a option to give feedback on fps. I have two 6970, 2600k @ 4.2ghz, 16gb of ram, and booting this game off from a Vertex 3 SSD. While I run this game at 5760x1080, I get horrible fps which alternate between 10-35. I run BF3 on mid-high setting at the same resolution and get 40-50 fps. Maybe this game doesn't utilize CFX? I really hate to buy another gpu to run this game at the resolution I wanted. :(

LOLOL

So your claim is that most people that have an issue with an MMO, especially one that is a subscription say nothing??

Do you really believe that??

Most people will use some form of customer support, be it email, phone support, forums, or in game ticket.. There is simply no truth to you claim.. If someone is going to spend the money on a game and then just dump it in less than 30 days.. I doubt it is the game that has issues..

Randomly crashing isn't gamebreaking? Perhaps I should have defined 'gamebreaking' better: A royal pain in the *** that interrupts the game in a degenerative fashion. If the game crashed at the launcher every time, I'm sure you'd agree it's 'gamebreaking'. Likewise, randomly crashing once: understandable, happens. But having these unidentifiable crashes consistently (which is what I was referring to; still random, because you don't know WHAT is causing it) is gamebreaking.

Having overheating issues is computer-breaking, and therefore gamebreaking.

Waiting an hour to get a good raid together and having tech issues on the game's side drop out players, make players fall through textures, or otherwise disrupt/cancel the raid, is gamebreaking in my opinion.

I've always understood 'gamebreaking' to be anything big enough that it might directly inhibit the players' progression and/or enjoyment of the game. A single crash, again, wouldn't be what I would consider gamebreaking.

Having ABOVE the recommended specs for the game, yet unable to play at a reasonable framerate on low-moderate settings? I would daresay that's gamebreaking for those with the issue.

There have been many people posting with the above and similar issues.

Sure, I don't know an actual number, so I can't literally determine an exact majority/minority. But notice I used 'apparently' - I was basing that statement off of what I have seen going on - it was opinionated.

I honestly don't have those issues. There are *probably* people playing the game without those issues on PCs that have much lower specs than the one you use. I don't know what to advise either but it must be a pretty difficult task for a developer to get a game running smooth across the millions of PCs and PC configurations (older, newer, high end, low end) that are out here wouldn't you say? You find a fix for that and you will be king.