BioWare: "most" people aren't having SWTOR performance issues

Raggnarok

I'm one of those people that doesn't have any performance issues and my system is i5, 16gb ram and a GTX460 with 600W power supply (I believe it's 600W, not at home to check) but either way the performance on my game only gets affected if I turn the shadows on, once it's off the game plays smoothly.

You mean the feature that actually adds most for the final picture? You're talking like shadows are worth nothing.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shadows off the game runs fine...ish. I noticed significant performance issues when i enabled shadows so i decided to check just how much of an FPS difference they make today.

3.2ghz dual core

4gigs DDR3

430gt

600w PSU

Don't know mobo offhand

No beast of a machine but i get between 60-100 anywhere but the fleet where i get ~40. I can live with this as i play on a heavy/full server and the fleet is a crowded mess.

Was on my ship when i tested this 1920x1080 res everything set to high with shadows off...80-110 bouncing around my ship doing whatever....turn shadows on barely noticed a change in the visuals but my FPS is now 15-30 standing still <_> for tiny pixelated PS2 shadows? ***! I'm no expert and don't know how demanding shadows might be on a machine no matter how bad they look but a 50+ drop in frames seems wrong. :/

The truth most often comes from the developer.... in the end

how to prove every fan boy on this thread wrong just read what your lord and master has just posted...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=162569

this is why you dont fanboy on a forum of a new MMO cos you ALWAYS.... ALWAYS get done in the end

I'm curious how that does anyone in. It really is funny how you ragers read exactly what you want to read.

If your sig to believed, your rig is absolutely over the top for this game, but did you optimize the intel ssd in the right way? I am not asking for this game specific but for the other game related problems that that ssd seems to be having?

This is a newly built system for skyrim/swtor/Kingdoms of amalur

Just upgraded from i7 920 with x58 rampage etc w/ the x25m SSD. I'm just one of those ppl that love to throw money at new tech. Haven't had any problems with the SSD at all though.

Trim Enabled, Superfetch/Prefetch turned off. Page filing turned off. Write cache buffer flushing turned off. Intel SSD Toolbox installed/ ran. firmware updated. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

Really? I might be guilty of being a incompetent computer tech afterall -_-. I'll try to "un****" my machine, see if the game isn't much of a problem. Although, I would like to point out Bioware has stated that "U.I." lag is a serious issue.

Like i have proved in my screenshot post in the page 24-28(can't remember the exact page) i am the "most" people that do not have any issues in the game. There are people in this thread that have more powerfull PC than i do and they still do not seem to know how to optimize them.

I can give you a perfect example:

I am running an Intel i5-2500k prosessor under an Asus P8-Z68-V pro motherboard. Some people in this forum know that this is a combination that is actually capable to be overclocked to outperform quite many i7 prosessors. My reason to say this is not to tell about my PC power but to say the fact that many people just buy a PC with i7 prosessor and think that it is a only meaningful thing.

I can buy a HP computer here in Finland wich has a SSD drive and a processor that is unclockable and it costs 1800 euros, or i can build a better computer with 1000 euros. My point is that i think that many people with those "good" computers are the ones that paid the 1800 euros...

I'm curious how that does anyone in. It really is funny how you ragers read exactly what you want to read.

dont just blind comment please feel free to comment on the content... no please feel free... they have basically cut the max textures due to it being (in thier opinion) too much for most peoples PC's.

It was in beta then they hack them out... cos guess what.... the game is too resource hungry to support them....

Please comment on subject instead of just flipping the old rage... blah blah card

MEH!

FANBOYS HATE FACTS!

dont just blind comment please feel free to comment on the content... no please feel free... they have basically cut the max textures due to it being (in thier opinion) too much for most peoples PC's.

It was in beta then they hack them out... cos guess what.... the game is too resource hungry to support them....

Please comment on subject instead of just flipping the old rage... blah blah card

MEH!

FANBOYS HATE FACTS!

Okay, well that still doesn't explain why there are numerous optimization issues across the board.

Hi-rez textures or not - I would wager 90% of players are having performance issues of some kind when playing TOR. It has little or nothing to do with the fact that the textures you're discussing are not available - even without the higher level textures, many are still having issues ...

So mabe YOU should actually comment on the subject instead of flipping? As I recall, the OP was referring to performance issues across the board - not just textures.

Edited by lentWolf

This is a newly built system for skyrim/swtor/Kingdoms of amalur

Just upgraded from i7 920 with x58 rampage etc w/ the x25m SSD. I'm just one of those ppl that love to throw money at new tech. Haven't had any problems with the SSD at all though.

Trim Enabled, Superfetch/Prefetch turned off. Page filing turned off. Write cache buffer flushing turned off. Intel SSD Toolbox installed/ ran. firmware updated. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

Nothing specific, i was just wondering about the SSD as they are unnoyingly hard some times. Not in the way they are build but in the firmwire way, happy for you that you didn't have any problems!

MEH!

FANBOYS HATE FACTS!

You're not getting the same textures you get in cut scenes. I never harbored any illusions that we would.

Oh, and YUMAD?

After reading through the new information that has come to light I must admit I'm considering cancelling....

I genuinely love this game and the creative team is exceptional, however as more information comes to light regarding how this game and its community are being handled I have to admit - I'm thoroughly disappointed. So disappointed that I find it hard to continue paying for the product....

Take this for what you like, however we as consumers have been deceived. They launched the game with 'spec' figures that intentionally misled the consumers. It was a slimy move, followed by articles suggesting that the problems rest squarely on the shoulder of their consumers, which is another intentional lie.

I predict the train wreck of SWTOR being F2P in matter of 14 months, give or take 2 months.

After reading all of this thread.. I think the issue probably lies somewhere in the AMD/ATI side of things. As an Intel->Nvidia user I experience none of these problems. Perhaps the issue is in the firmware or drivers for said AMD/ATI devices. Or perhaps you are using an Nvidia card with an AMD motherboard which is not optimized for Nvidia.

It is a major topic and always has been the AMD vs Intel divide. I was an AMD person for 17 years. I have recently switched to Intel and I have been an Nvidia user since 3DFX went the way of the dodo. Before swapping to the core i5 2500k (the k meaning over-clockable) I had issues with several titles. Those problems are now gone.

Those who work on computers and know them well also know that all motherboards are not created equally. Integrated graphics cards are a joke for gaming. Texture memory is often king.

Many average users do not understand these points. They say "I spent 2,000$ on my computer it should be amazing!" but alas that is not the case.

ASRock vs Asus is a perfect example. Asus (my favorite for 15+ years) has gone down down down. I won't touch their products anymore. Driver issues, Piss poor transistor quality, Cutting costs because of reputation to meet price points on mass consumer electronics a good computer does not make.

ASRrock a subsidiary of Asus on the other hand has gold plated high quality shock resistant components which put it head and shoulders above ASUS yet.. it costs less.

The number of gigs of ram is less important in most cases than the speed of said ram. If you are using cheapo ram you will experience huge performance issues. I swear by G.Skill Sniper series for 1866 speed ram. It is blistering fast for load times because of how quickly the OS can move bits of data around on demand. Having 32GB of slow or consumer grade ram will net you a huge performance decrease over having 4GB of high speed, professional/gaming ram as the G.Skill Sniper series is.

Additionally, For each processor or multiple core you have your rams effective amount is cut in half. If you have 4GB of ram on a quad core computer technically you have 1GB of ram per core for multi-threaded applications. So if you are not running a single threaded application you are not really getting the maximum performance you could get. Having 16GB of 1866 Ram will net you 4gb of 1866 ram per processor in most real world applications due to how the system allocates resources for all applications currently running on it.

This post got a lot longer than I intended but I hope it helps to explain to the average user why their expensive rig might perform less than they had hoped. I will gladly help anyone with advice who is wanting to replace their consumer grade parts with high quality gaming parts at no charge. Just send me a tell and I'll point you to where and how you can save a ton and get a rig that will blow your effin mind.

Edited by Aethyrprime

I have a 1090 6core Black Edition with a XFX 6970 2GB GPU and can run any other game on max settings and always get 60+ FPS at the very least.

But in SWTOR I get 10-20 FPS in the Fleet, during raids, and in PVP.

Hilariously the people in this thread have suggested its because I am running firefox and ventrilo in the background lulz. They cant accept that there are problems with the game and if they dont have them then obviously they dont exist. :mon_rolleyes:

Funny thing is that after someone asked me to post some real data about my good frame rates, AND i even admitted that the person was right about the fps being low at the spot he said it was, still nobody in this whole thread has had anything to say about the fact that i also posted a picture of me getting very good fps in the fleet.

I do not seek attention, but i am just proving a point that whiners do not want to study things, they just whine for the sake of trolling...

Edited by Ruthlessboy

During early access through the the first few weeks of launch I had zero lag or issues. However in the past week or so, my lag has become horrible. Nothing has changed about my machine, and yet suddenly my performance has dropped drastically.

When the game first launched I had my graphic settings turned up to high, with shadow effects on and not one bit of lag. I used to roll my eyes at all the people complaining of trouble. Now I'm the one with the problems and I don't know what's going on now. :(

Interesting. The game runs fine and to my liking on my rig; looks good to boot.

Runs great on mine as well, however my brother has an identical rig, we bought and put em together at the same time....I get between 80-100 fps consistently, he's getting approximately 25-45 consistently.

We live within a half mile of each other and use the same service provider...Lol the only difference between his system and mine is that I still have Fallout installed.

So I reiterate, intentionally misled.

I have a 1090 6core Black Edition with a XFX 6970 2GB GPU and can run any other game on max settings and always get 60+ FPS at the very least.

But in SWTOR I get 10-20 FPS in the Fleet, during raids, and in PVP.

Hilariously the people in this thread have suggested its because I am running firefox and ventrilo in the background lulz. They cant accept that there are problems with the game and if they dont have them then obviously they dont exist. :mon_rolleyes:

It's easier and more likely there are problems in your client.

Occam's Razor

I had extremely serious performance issues. In the end, I went and bought a new graphics card for £50 which solved all the problems, This was an extremely expensive and annoying option.

Annoying option? Are you blaming the game industry in the whole that you have to update your PC? And 50 pounds? Yes, that is over the top price...

Edit: Sorry, i just realised that this person was being sarcastic, sorry :)

Edited by Ruthlessboy

Runs great on mine as well, however my brother has an identical rig, we bought and put em together at the same time....I get between 80-100 fps consistently, he's getting approximately 25-45 consistently.

We live within a half mile of each other and use the same service provider...Lol the only difference between his system and mine is that I still have Fallout installed.

That doesn't speak to being "intentionally misled" at all. I hear this complaint about every "MMO" in existence. The wire used to establish your internet connection and/or voltage differences between your homes on those very same lines could make a world of difference in your fps as well as the internet equipment used (routers etc).

Stop that.

And this has been my point for the entirety that I've participated in this topic. Optimization is the big problem here. It's just like DICE and Bad Company 2 when it came out - they just need to spend a couple weeks working on optimization/performance tweaks.

And in doing so they'd likely also find the source of many of the other ingame issues that have been reported (perhaps resolve many of them, as well)