BioWare: "most" people aren't having SWTOR performance issues

Raggnarok

Why can't you realize that the bolded part means nothing without more information about your machine?

I would bet a month's salary that Bioware techs could order your exact parts, assemble them, install the game, and it would run without a single problem.

I bet they couldn't.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet they couldn't.

Why would you need them to?

I guess the numerous videos on Google or YouTube showing ToR gameplay without any problems (sure you can find some that show problems as well) don't demonstrate the fact that there are people playing who aren't having SWTOR performance issues.

Can anyone enlighten me how come that SW:TOR is the game that exposes all that supposed flaws in peoples machines ? Not BF3, The Witcher 2, Skyrim or whatever is a benchmark nowadays but average looking MMO that should be optimised to run on as many rigs as possible ?

Watch the Dev Tracker... look for the title "Horrid FPS" and the responses from JovethGonzalez. Sounds like information may be coming, not sure if it'll be the same way info about textures came though.

To answer your question, there are two possibilities that are common for things like this (aside from game engine being poorly written):

- game engine exposes driver bugs (there are lots of examples of these... mainly why we have point releases of drivers :-) Look at graphics driver release notes and see what they say about specific games.

- game engine exposes hardware bugs (search for Pentium FDIV bug for an example of a well know hardware bug)

I have been working on computers all of my life and I'm a Server Engineer at a local business, so I am pretty good about making sure my PC is ok. I just purchased all of this hardware, minus the 5770, back in October. It's a brand new OS install of Windows 7, and I definitely defragged after installing the game.

I have a GeForce 570 coming in the mail tomorrow which I'll try out and compare with how my 5770 has been doing. With that said, to have the game run so poorly on a 5770 is unacceptable given how horrible the game looks.

What other hardware are you running? Memory brand/speed, MB brand, etc etc. There are 4 other machines that are identical to mine, minus the video card that are running the game flawlessly. Same memory, same MB, same processor just they are running the ATI 6870 video card, and 3 of them have the exact same case. All were re-formatted, OS loaded from scratch and then the game loaded up. All of the 6870 cards are getting 110fps with v-sync turned off, mine with the 5770 gets 70 with v-sync turned off, drops to 50-55 on the fleet (which it should). I too have been doing IT work for close to 20 years and most of the people in the guild usually go with my recommendations on parts etc to purchase which is why most don't have any issues with hardware, and if they do it turns out it's OS related, just like I said earlier about having an unstable OS.

We have close to 45 people in our guild (yes it's a small one) and not one person has any issues with the game at all, no fps drop in wz's or questing.

Specs are the following

Intel Core i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz (not overclocked)

ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 MB (with most updated bios)

16gb G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR 3 1600

XFX HD 5770 1gb Video card (non-oc)

Seagate 1Tb 7200.12 SATA III 6Gb/s HD

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

My machine at work that runs it perfectly as well

HP Elite 8200 CMT

Intel Core i7 2600 3.4 Ghz

HP Branded MB

16gb HP Branded memory

HP Branded 6350 512mb Video card

Hitachi 1Tb SATA III 6Gb/s HD

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

I can also name 4 other machine that guys at work are using to play on during lunch and such at work with no problems (other tha choppy video from the onboard Intel video but pull 20-30 fps on low settings) that are all HP branded machines

Edited by Lamuse

My computer comes from a hot new startup called "Dell" with a cutting-edge processor named "Pentium" and an exotic operating system called "Windows". Maybe you've heard of them? With this edge-of-the-envelope gear, it's totally understandable if a game has trouble running on it.

i too un subbed because i was running at 4 FPS

now i dont no much about computer like all u nerds doo but mine is a year old with 8bg of ram....and even with all low settings and "shadows off" still runs like ****...my friend has a POS laptop with only 2 gb of ram and nothing else and hes getting 20's lowest... soo i dont get how its "my machine" if computers that are older and have worse computers then mine run everything perfectly fine... soo glad i got the special edition :mad:

Here is the normal performance of my computer in warzones and in fleet. All options turned to high, including shadows and bloom. 1080p res.

im using:

e5620 2.4 ghz intel xeon processor quadcore overclocked to 3.6ghz

1500w silverstone power supply

evga sr2 classified mobo

12 gigs (6 sticks of 2gig) ddr3 corsair xms3 ram

windows 7 ultimate 64bit

80gig intel SSD boot drive

1tb western digital caviar blue 7400rpm hdd

evga gtx580sc factory oc 797mhz 1.5g vram

stability, temps during normal loads here.

Edited by Vulgarr

i too un subbed because i was running at 4 FPS

now i dont no much about computer like all u nerds doo but mine is a year old with 8bg of ram....and even with all low settings and "shadows off" still runs like ****...my friend has a POS laptop with only 2 gb of ram and nothing else and hes getting 20's lowest... soo i dont get how its "my machine" if computers that are older and have worse computers then mine run everything perfectly fine... soo glad i got the special edition :mad:

These are the kinds of people having performance issues. Gee I wonder why?

I have an i5-2500k overclocked to 4.5Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333 ram,GTX 570, Win7 ultimate 64-bit, 1 SATA 500GB HDD,1x SATA 1TB HDD and i did noticed FPS issue went down to like 15-20fps during outdoor raid with 16ppl around.And for warzone Alderaan, and huttball sometimes it went down and sometimes it shoots around 100ish fps.

Before this my system running at 4GB DDR3, default clock speed for CPU(3.3GHz) and oh man the fps is unbearable in warzones and Taris/Coruscant.

Yeah something must be missing/wrong then with the game engine or something.Oh and my settings is set to High,with shadow and bloom disable,force enable AA 8x, 1920x1080 reso.

Edited by Maxtross

Here a funny thing, I see some of you claiming you had no problem running Skyrim at 60 or greater FPS but with SWTOR you were lucky to get over 30.

For me it’s the complete opposite, I tried Skyrim tonight and I was lucky to get over 35 FPS where in SWTOR I average 75 and regularly break 100 FPS

Here’s my System Information…………………………….

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

System Model: G74Sx

Processor: Intel® Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.9GHz (8 CPUs)

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

Chip type: GeForce GTX 560M

Display Memory: 2767 MB

Dedicated Memory: 3034 MB

Shared Memory: 3828 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.020Hz)

Last week i was running a 1090Tx6 6gig of ram and a 6870 card. very little problem. certain areas like Ilum and Civil war i would dip under 20fps at max settings.

This week (mobo died) i'm running an X2 with 3 gigs of ram same video and at times i'm playing at 2fps of course at MUCH lower settings. especially Ilum and Civil war pvp.

What is really frustrating is the load times. even with my SSD last week i would wait 45 secs to a min to load onto my ship now it takes closer to two minutes.

Repost from closed thread.

PvE questing solo with not much going on: 110 fps (capped by TFT refresh rate, since I play windowed fullscreen)

PvE raid: 40-90, dipping to 30 when lots of AoE is going on during trash pulls

Fleet with loads of players(160+): down to 24 dps with noticeable stutter sometimes, probably caused by loading, with not so many players up to 100

Everything on max.

CPU: i7-2600K@4.8Ghz

GPU: Nvidia GTX 580 3GB

LCD: ASUS VG236HE 23' @ 110 Hz (120 doesn't clock down fully)@1920x1080

MEM: 8GB DDR3 1866 Corsair XMS3 CL9-10-9-27-2T

MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Rev 3.0

STORAGE: OCZ Vertex 3 240GB

AA: 8x in .ini, will try forcing 8xQ and see how fps is soon

AF: 16x, no optimizations (=highest quality) forced via NV control panel, IG setting low

VSYNC: Force off in driver, ingame option is greyed out

Kinda ridiculous how the fps go down as soon as something is happening on the screen.

And no, neither GPU or CPU are getting clocked down due to thermal throttling.

CPU under IntelBurnTest hits 70°C, GPU in Furmark Xtreme 87°C (tho Nvidia throttles via drivers there because they deem Furmark as a power-virus program, as does AMD).

Normal game temps are around 75°C to 80°C in SWTor.

Living in denial doesn't work, James Ohlen.

The framerate goes to absolutely nothing if you start ganking in Illum. Run back and forth a hour orso and every time you get spam from points being vulnerable will eat up any fps you had left.

It is sad some person in our guild laughed at me coz i have a AMD 6970 and he games on a laptop. i got such bad framerate i couldn't heal anymore. The joke was on him tho 15 minutes later he experienced the same amount of framerate drop which made eveything like slide show (he was playing on a laptop).

The sad part was that we weren't even a full operation and the imperials were not that many.

The zoning mechanic within illum must have many problems with graphics especially when they spam the "vulnerability" message across the screen.

I would have been impressed if your report read not that "most people have no issues" because that is just saying , you have problems that is YOUR problem. Which ofcourse is an in your face swear word you don't expect to hear from someone you are giving money to deliver a good gameplay experience and not lip service.

What you should have said is that it is a concern that needs to be addressed.

And stop writing blogs that you are committed to fixing bugs , dear god how long have you been a code monkey for that suddenly you don't care about bugs coz you are to busy counting the money you got this month ?

LoL. Rly? You got problems with i-7 and i-5? With heavy high-eng video cards?

My score - 2 core G850 2.9 Ghz, 4 Gb RaM (Win xp can only see 3.5 ofc) and a low tier HD 6670 with 1gb memory. And i wont say about my HHD with not 7200 rpm but 5900...

I got only 1 problem with my mouse sometimes reloading and stucking for like 1 sec. Its a bit annoying but playble. Else - 40 fps standart, 25-35 when its huge amount of ppl at fleet stations. Totaly playble and enjoyble.

I dont want to say - ffs guys you got probs cause your PC is a junkyard with tonns of useless progs and viruses, or you turned off your brain while you was assembling your PC.

Just there are ppl with low configs who dont rly have any serious troubles.

Edited by GloomySmile

I have an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz. An overclocked Radeon HD 6950. 16GB of RAM.

Every game I played recently (Skyrim, BF3 etc.) I can play on ultra settings and get superb quality from these games on steady FPS.

The graphics of swtor are nothing in comparison, yet I get lower FPS in swtor than in those 'heavier' games...

It's been said a million times before, but almost all the FPS issues people described can be attributed to lag and not their PC.

No one ever says what their MS is in relation to the server.

I run;

I5 2500k oc'd @4.4ghz

16GB of RAM oc'd @ ~2100mhz

AMD 6950 2GB

4x 1.5TB HD's in a raid 1+0

I only post my machine stats because it seems the higher the machine specs the worse the problems lol... I have no issues whatsoever my FPS is always +60

Though!!!!! If i'm running a torrent downloader or streaming a movie while i'm playing and I notice my latency go wayyyyyy up I expereince the issues described by everyone else.

Just saying... maybe you should be checking to make sure no one else is hogging the line.

Repost from closed thread.

PvE questing solo with not much going on: 110 fps (capped by TFT refresh rate, since I play windowed fullscreen)

PvE raid: 40-90, dipping to 30 when lots of AoE is going on during trash pulls

Fleet with loads of players(160+): down to 24 dps with noticeable stutter sometimes, probably caused by loading, with not so many players up to 100

Everything on max.

CPU: i7-2600K@4.8Ghz

GPU: Nvidia GTX 580 3GB

LCD: ASUS VG236HE 23' @ 110 Hz (120 doesn't clock down fully)@1920x1080

MEM: 8GB DDR3 1866 Corsair XMS3 CL9-10-9-27-2T

MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Rev 3.0

STORAGE: OCZ Vertex 3 240GB

AA: 8x in .ini, will try forcing 8xQ and see how fps is soon

AF: 16x, no optimizations (=highest quality) forced via NV control panel, IG setting low

VSYNC: Force off in driver, ingame option is greyed out

Kinda ridiculous how the fps go down as soon as something is happening on the screen.

And no, neither GPU or CPU are getting clocked down due to thermal throttling.

CPU under IntelBurnTest hits 70°C, GPU in Furmark Xtreme 87°C (tho Nvidia throttles via drivers there because they deem Furmark as a power-virus program, as does AMD).

Normal game temps are around 75°C to 80°C in SWTor.

75c - 80c is pretty high for sustained play. I know it's within the limits for a proc but think of it as this.

Just because your honda red lines at 7000 rpm doesn't mean you should drive for 4 hours at 6000rpm...

Guess its time to already throw out this:

I7 2600K @ 4.1GHZ

8 GIGS Corsair 1600mhz

GTX 590

Raid 0 Crucial SSD 128gig (actually not in till today, but its low end crap too I guess)

It's been said a million times before, but almost all the FPS issues people described can be attributed to lag and not their PC.

No one ever says what their MS is in relation to the server.

I run;

I5 2500k oc'd @4.4ghz

16GB of RAM oc'd @ ~2100mhz

AMD 6950 2GB

4x 1.5TB HD's in a raid 1+0

I only post my machine stats because it seems the higher the machine specs the worse the problems lol... I have no issues whatsoever my FPS is always +60

Though!!!!! If i'm running a torrent downloader or streaming a movie while i'm playing and I notice my latency go wayyyyyy up I expereince the issues described by everyone else.

Just saying... maybe you should be checking to make sure no one else is hogging the line.

OMG LOLOLOLOL!!! Thanks man I really needed the laugh. Yeah cause I have 33ms to my server and still have a huge FPS drop in parts of the game. Ususally its in a hallway or some other stupid area that makes no sense. Stop trying to blame anything other then what it is, a crappy new engine that none has used till now. Bioware was either too lazy to make their own engine for this game, or the marketing team for the engine has fairy dust for farts.

Also the engine is so horribly optimized in parts of the game it takes 98-99% of both my GPUs to render at around 110FPS. It seems like that is the cap. Not sure. And this causes my card to run HOT. I would understand this if this were BF3 with uber gfx. With Vsync on it still takes like 50%

Edited by Maligni

I have a very high end pc intel 17 2600k, 16 gig ram, 2 x gtx 560ti etc. and swtor dosent run good at all on my computer, i have reinstall the client twice now and nothing better each time, i have big fps drop and artifact in a lot of places. This is really annoying because i cant play swtor like its msupposed to be played, i had to skip planet because it was to bad so im stuck to low level on to high of a planet, friends are much higher lvl so cant come and help. This is why i have pull out my subcription. I wish they would fix it, but i guess they dont. they dont care! 5% yeah right!

It's been said a million times, people without a clue shouldn't comment.

My ms is to quote trillville "NEVA EVA" above 80ms... There is no connection issue. What we use is something called an FPS meter.. Ctrl+shift+F or use something like Fraps. I'm sorry but we're not idiots. Several people having issues are IT-professionals, programmers, software architects, people that have actually written basic engines for fun, built computers for over 10 years etc.

Actually most of us that have been gaming competitively for years or played a lot can tell the difference of feel between lag and FPS drops quite easily so even if we didn't have these "advanced" tools like FPS counter and ms counter we'd know the difference.

So stop making completely baseless posts.