The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Will swtor's engine ever be capable of handling more than 20 players?

TheMove

This engine for the game can't handle more than 20 players in a space without running choppy and droping everyones fps very low. Just curious if this can be fixed and improved or if this is how the game will always be.

I hate sharding and instancing but its clear the games engine couldnt handle anything more. Servers barley hold any players. To be honest this MMO and the engine feels really dated.

So can this every be fixed?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This engine for the game can't handle more than 20 players in a space without running choppy and droping everyones fps very low. Just curious if this can be fixed and improved or if this is how the game will always be.

I hate sharding and instancing but its clear the games engine couldnt handle anything more. Servers barley hold any players. To be honest this MMO and the engine feels really dated.

So can this every be fixed?

This game engine is nearly brand new. Give them time to work out the kinks.

Some of the drivers on the SERVER side of things aren't even fully supported yet.

Additionally, I personally don't have issues with large amounts of players on screen outside of PVP. In PVP, it's a different story. Some matches cause my GPU usage to drop below 20% and thus cause 20fps. But, in time there will be matured drivers.

I have Vsync on at max settings and shadows off. 1080p res. I get 60 fps leveling on my own. Warfronts 20-40fps. Fleet ships packed with people it drops in the 20s.

I watch plenty of videos of other people having the same issues. I watched world pvp videos of like 50+ ppl in a area all getting like 5fps or less. Maybe you just need the best parts money can buy to play.

I had big issues with this in Beta on Coruscant and Taris, but really haven't noticed it in Retail at all.

I expect its a lot more subtle than "Oh this engine is old..."

However, I do agree in the long run Bioware would have been better off not outsourcing the Engine. At first it made a lot of sense because that isn't their forte, so why not leverage a third-party solution. But then in interviews they have said they had to modify the engine a ton, and sometimes solving problems with the Engine took as long as it might have coding it themselves from scratch.

Of course, anything that looks like an MMO right now looks dated to me - played WoW too long.

There were 170 on my server's Imperial Fleet the other day... I have yet to run into lag and always have in the 110 fps range... (give or take)

I am always baffled by the wide variance in performance descriptions...

I have a brand new (3 month old) computer and a great ISP. I have no lag issues, my GPU (GPU's, actually) stay in the 60's, no crashes, etc. I do, however, notice that High Rez graphics and AA are not working (yet).

But lag has not happened to me once as of yet. (Amend that, did have a single instance of rubberbanding on what I assumed was client side from my ISP. Bound to happen from time to time...)

There were 170 on my server's Imperial Fleet the other day... I have yet to run into lag and always have in the 110 fps range... (give or take)

I am always baffled by the wide variance in performance descriptions...

I have a brand new (3 month old) computer and a great ISP. I have no lag issues, my GPU (GPU's, actually) stay in the 60's, no crashes, etc. I do, however, notice that High Rez graphics and AA are not working (yet).

But lag has not happened to me once as of yet. (Amend that, did have a single instance of rubberbanding on what I assumed was client side from my ISP. Bound to happen from time to time...)

I work for a software engineering firm and I can honestly say that Environmental (User's environment, not the games) issues count for 90% of my bug reports. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause such a huge disparity for such a large number of individuals.

I work for a software engineering firm and I can honestly say that Environmental (User's environment, not the games) issues count for 90% of my bug reports. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause such a huge disparity for such a large number of individuals.

As someone who built his computer and can run dozens of other current generation titles without performance issues I can honestly say that this game has problems that are not on this end. There are a large number of users reporting similarly poor and inconsistent performance on high-end gaming hardware.

In addition to having trouble handling large number of characters on screen, the game also does a piss-poor job of rendering volumetric fog and shadows. These are not environmental issues, unless you consider lacking driver support to be a user problem (it's not--developers are supposed to work with third party vendors to secure driver support in anticipation of their release).

Edited by DannyInternets

As someone who built his computer and can run dozens of other current generation titles without performance issues I can honestly say that this game has problems that are not on this end. There are a large number of users reporting similarly poor and inconsistent performance on high-end gaming hardware.

In addition to having trouble handling large number of characters on screen, the game also does a piss-poor job of rendering volumetric fog and shadows. These are not environmental issues, unless you consider lacking driver support to be a user problem (it's not--developers are supposed to work with third party vendors to secure driver support in anticipation of their release).

I'm not saying that there isn't the standard bugs/issues with the software that exist in all software. However, simply stating that ALL performance issues are related to the game.

I just want to point out something.

I work for a company that writes software that interfaces with security cameras and other digital cameras to rip live images from the feed on the camera.

That sounds simple, and it is when we use twain interfaces. however, not all cameras have supported twain drivers (twain is an industry standard) and this causes odd behavior by the cameras and/or our software simply because the user never bothered to ask whether the camera was supported or not before purchase. It happens all the time.

When it comes to graphics cards, I imagine it is exactly the same, the developers are using a specific API or toolkit to interface with the GPU in a specific manner that should be supported identically between all platforms. Sometimes commands that work on one GPU won't always work on a second brand GPU (or even the same brand made by a different manufacturer) and will require you to do something special for those cards.

There is no feasible way to test this other than owning a PC setup with every single GPU in existence and attempting to run it on every single driver configuration. It's simply just not possible to do in any amount of time frame that would not have your users breathing down your neck.

These issues are definitely bugs and will be fixed, but there is no way to predict where and when these issues will occur and are not always related to the game's engine.

Hero engine was originally built back in 2005 for a MMO called Heros Journey, it was ment to be a game with instanced dungeons and social lobbies between them.

So in short answer...no.

So, in other words, this game is running on an engine designed for a Guild Wars (1) type game.

Looooool. Guild Wars has no monthly fee for a reason.

No. BW's programmers are...I don't even know what the word is. All I know is this engine was NOT meant for an MMO or any real online capability. Most expensive MMO ever made and they couldn't even write a new engine for it.

Evidence, Citation, something... I'll believe you as soon as you can base your statements in fact and not conjecture or opinion.