The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Remove Lightsaber Color Restrictions

HundeThutt

Earlier in the thread I saw someone suggest entering an RGB code and having the full spectrum available. I like this idea, but rather as a slider selecting just the hue, at the time of crafting the crystal.

Leave those black-cored monstrosities for the RAID, pre-order, and Razer-gear stuff.... but for normal white-cored sabers, I think selecting a hue (with no moral alignment restrictions) when crafting crystals would be great. It would make Artifice have a real use. :)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never understood the color restriction or why it was put into the game. It wasn't in the game during beta so it seems like it was a late addition. It really makes no sense. If you're a Jedi running around with a red lightsaber you're obviously going to stand out wouldn't you? "He's probably not one of us is he?"

It's completely pointless and ruins rp.

well, since you are bringing up beta how about you look up dev posts when they posted before the community screwed itself on that, where they said that color crystals will be restricted by alignment during launch.

Obiwan: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes! I will do what i must!"

Anakin: "You will try!"

-force leaps Obiwan

-tries to turn on lightsaber

Anakin: "What the... why isn't it working!"

Obiwan: "Haha, you're dark 1 now, I can tell by the force corruption on your face!"

Anakin: "Yeah, so what?"

Obiwan: You didn't change your crystal, did you..."

Anakin: "oh sith me..."

-gets cleaved Darth Maul style

Obiwan: "After all this time, you're still such a noob..."

A MMO with no consequences turns into an exercise of embracing emptiness itself. Restrictions falls into place to create meaning, not to punish players. By asking for these to be dropped, you take your own unwillingness to care for the system with you, the larger context is thus ignored.

With every empty and pointless game feature, like the alignment system in this case, you remove another reason to play the game. It adds up, and this is one of the features that adds flavor to this game in particular. To wish for redundant and impotent game features is to wish for a downward spiral of decay.

Core ideas like alignment should be expanded, not dismantled on a whim!

---

I think the funniest part of this is that the game essentially contradicts itself. My sith warrior is light III, but got a lightsaber with a red crystal as a quest reward. So, I'm a light side sith wielding a red lightsaber, nullifying the restriction. If I wanted, I could even hold onto the same lightsaber and just replace the mods in it without removing the crystal, and continue using a red lightsaber all the way to level 50 and light V.

Edit: Oh, and if I were a Marauder I could wield both my red saber and get a blue saber for my other hand - Played with that in the beta, but decided I wanted my main warrior to be capable of respeccing to tank. Really though, where's the point of the restriction then?

Edited by Llaera

Would like that green crystal they had in the Designing the Light side trailer, current green looks too...yellow in the core. Only color that should ever be restricted to Sith is Crimon not "red", as for light side I suppose white, but then they'd need to add silver which they should have already.

And anakin or should I say Vader would have switched to crimson even if he won against Obi-wan. But there have been dark Jedi that have used blue and same with green.

A MMO with no consequences turns into an exercise of embracing emptiness itself. Restrictions falls into place to create meaning, not to punish players. By asking for these to be dropped, you take your own unwillingness to care for the system with you, the larger context is thus ignored.

With every empty and pointless game feature, like the alignment system in this case, you remove another reason to play the game. It adds up, and this is one of the features that adds flavor to this game in particular. To wish for redundant and impotent game features is to wish for a downward spiral of decay.

Core ideas like alignment should be expanded, not dismantled on a whim!

---

There are restrictions based on alignment that make sense the gear restrictions a color crystal doesn't have anything to do with with someone's alignment.

Is there any way currently in the game for a Jedi to get a purple lightsaber. If not, why not? The only character in the movies who used one of these was a Jedi.

Every Sith planet has a ton of NPCs with purple sabers, so they aren't rare and they should be available for any player on either faction at any time. Just like every other color.

I would also venture to say, remove restrictions AND stats from the colour crystals. Let them be purely for cosmetic purposes, and make all usable colours equally obtainable.. I don't want to have to farm a world boss just to get white. Then we'd all be free to be the jedi (or sith) we want to be.

^ What they both said. ^

As I've said in other threads concerning this subject, blade *color* should be allowed to be every player's personal choice. Make higher stats or special stats rare, certainly. But mere aesthetics should not be restricted to either faction, and especially not to endgame. For example... say I've reached level 50, and have completed every quest, flashpoint, raid, etc, multiple times. Say I've maxed out everything I can, I've done everything there is to do, and only *then*, I finally get my purple-bladed lightsaber. What would be the point? I would have already done everything there is to do, what's the point of finally being able to have the *color* I want for my lightsaber blade? The same color which I've used at will in the previous two games of this series?

TL;DR version:

Customizable appearances and colors shouldn't have to be restricted. Stats, yes. Aesthetics, no. There's no point in finally being able to have what color blade or blaster bolt you want only once you've essentially conquered the game.

I would also venture to say, remove restrictions AND stats from the colour crystals. Let them be purely for cosmetic purposes, and make all usable colours equally obtainable.. I don't want to have to farm a world boss just to get white. Then we'd all be free to be the jedi (or sith) we want to be.

While they are at it.. I we might as well make everything not-restricted and have no rules at all.

All Dark can Be Light.. also I want to do it with really no level. I want all the skills to be the same all stats to be the same, I want all of us to be the same look the same and screw some of the lore right?

I mean really... we might as well all be the same.

Why let some game dictate what we should be right?

Bioware has gone on saying "the community decides" what kinda goes in the game and comes out.

Id like to see a vote/petition on this. According to them, if we want it bad enough they will change it.

Yes well if that is the case then they will have to pole people playing the game and not on the forums as well.

The forums are small and actually more biased on things that are very minor in most respects to the entire overall game play.

I mean, if we were to go by pure CANNON LORE.. there would be even more cries on this one... bigtime.