[HOWTO - RAMDRIVE] Increasing SWTOR System Performance

Lemon_King

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hardly noticed any difference on loading times between a SSD and HD. I doubt putting this on a ramdrive is going to make any significant difference unless you have an awful hard drive.

Keep in mind that the game is still building the DiskCacheArena on your storage device. Thus reading, writing, reading, writing, ect. As current ram should be more than twice the read/write speed of 3th gen SSD, it can improve overall game performance.

Like other changes it can be a hit or miss for people, but for me it was an improvement over a 3th gen SSD.

Edited by Ocmer_

Keep in mind that the game is still building the DiskCacheArena on your storage device. Thus reading, writing, reading, writing, ect. As current ram should be more than twice the read/write speed of 3th gen SSD, it can improve overall game performance.

Like other changes it can be a hit or miss for people, but for me it was an improvement over a 3th gen SSD.

Just feels like the bottleneck is server side, not from data loading on my comp.

Delete repost. Dumb refresh button.

Edited by grueber

My system is fairly old, Ilum was unbearable. Followed your guide and now it's actually playable, thanks!

FYI - my rig is:

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275

Can someone please post a dumbed down version of this. I do not get how to put in the coding or to change the batch file. I'm sorry if it was posted before but I do not have time to cipher through 50+ pages to hopefully find the answer to this. If it was posted before could someone tell me the page number. I am not having horrible fps but I want to increase load times and also reduce the number of lag spikes(ill go from 110fps to 50fps and back up to 110fps in the matter of seconds for no apparent reason).

I don't know if you read the OP's "experimental stuff" but you might add the dynamic character look into the ram aswell. Experimental suff from Lemon_King.

Woo late posts, lost my ME2 save so replaying it again.

Anywho, Ocmer is correct.

Can someone please post a dumbed down version of this. I do not get how to put in the coding or to change the batch file. I'm sorry if it was posted before but I do not have time to cipher through 50+ pages to hopefully find the answer to this. If it was posted before could someone tell me the page number. I am not having horrible fps but I want to increase load times and also reduce the number of lag spikes(ill go from 110fps to 50fps and back up to 110fps in the matter of seconds for no apparent reason).
err, the guide is the easy way. :jawa_redface:

The auto-batch files are the really easy way.

All the Info is linked in the OP in some form so you don't have to go through 50 pages of misc discussion or troubleshooting.

Well, everything went well for the most part, though for some reason every time I load the game it replays the theatrical trailer, and resets my preferences. How do I address this issue?

Thanks in advance

You didn't copy your settings folder over properly.

None of this coding ******** works.
Could you please explain where you are having issues?

Posting no information expect mindless rage doesn't help, and most people would skip your post.

Seriously, I understand why devs ignore rage posts that give zero information.

Edited by Lemon_King

Okay I read some stuff around and I'm a total noob, can someone give me some advices how to make my notebook perform better, pretty please?

I know I dont know much about this stuff and I'm sure using notebook isn't ideal and kinda sucks, but it isnt worthy for me to get normal PC at the moment, and this is the best I got to play on.

I'm using Dell XPS Studio 1640 (2.27 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 Processor, 3 GB RAM, 32 bit Vista, >80 GB HDD free space ATM), still in very good shape I'd say, but the game is running really bad for me. When I start it, it usually runs smooth for about 20 maybe 30 minutes, and then goes from 40-60 FPS to avg of 20-25, but goes usually even to ~15 and in some really populated places or at spammy flashy skills OPs/FPs I get even more lower, which makes my healing sorcerer bad, not to mention random FPS drops to 0 for like 1-2 seconds, which decide a lot of stuff in WZs and OPs :( After rebooting, the performance gets better a bit again, but drops soon as well. I'm also running in game everything on low, no shadows, no grass or trees, everything possible downed to minimum. All drivers and stuff updated, as far as I know.

If anyone could give me any advice how to make it if even a little better to keep at least at 25 FPS during WZs and OPs, and not drop below, that would be all I ask for, if its actually possible ^^ Thanks a lot!

Can someone please post a dumbed down version of this. I do not get how to put in the coding or to change the batch file. ...

The batchfile I wrote should work out of the box that defaults to ramdrive with driveletter T: with a size of 1.5GB and without the fx asset file.

As written at my batchfile, the changing settings is optional. Also there is even written how to change the settings (there are only three settings you can change anyway).

Hi, I am using _Ocmer's ALL-IN-ONE batch file. (I copied the code and saved it as .bat)

For some reason, the script does not transfer the DiskCacheArena to the T:

Why is that?

Only the SWTOR/swtor/settings gets copied over.

Please help! :)

Did you played the game already? As the batchfile is executed (aswell by following the manual method) you don't recreate the DiskCacheArena. When you boot the game the three cache files will appear on your ramdisk (two will be gone again when you close the game).

edit; Yes it is normal as the game creates the DiskCacheArena automatically when it got removed.

Edited by Ocmer_

... I'm using Dell XPS Studio 1640 (2.27 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 Processor, 3 GB RAM, 32 bit Vista ...

Hmm sorry but this thread and solution is intended for people who have more than 6GB of ram and are running a 64-bit version of Windows. I can redirect you to a post of a support to maybe help you further: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=2902106.

Did you played the game already? As the batchfile is executed (aswell by following the manual method) you don't recreate the DiskCacheArena. When you boot the game the three cache files will appear on your ramdisk (two will be gone again when you close the game).

edit; Yes it is normal as the game creates the DiskCacheArena automatically when it got removed.

When I play the game the DiskCacheArena is generated in my <install location>/Star Wars - The Old Republic/swtor, but not on the T: drive.

There is nothing on the T: drive except from the SWTOR/swtor/settings (no matter if the game is playing or not).

What am I doing wrong?

When I play the game the DiskCacheArena is generated in my <install location>/Star Wars - The Old Republic/swtor, but not on the T: drive.

There is nothing on the T: drive except from the SWTOR/swtor/settings (no matter if the game is playing or not).

What am I doing wrong?

Are you sure you pressed 's' on your keybord at the menu? I think the linking failed for some reason. If you only mount the ramdrive, the system will not know what to place on the ramdrive.

I made it such way that it should not harm anything if you exectute it twice. Also be sure to run the script as administrator, it can have side effects (which I don't know).

edit; After running the setup part of the script, check if "<installpath>\/Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\DiskCacheArena" has an lil arrow in the icon (indicating that it is a link). The same can be checked if the SWTOR folder in appdata\local\ has an arrow in it.

Edited by Ocmer_

Hmm was actually curious about the read/write speed of a ramdisk.

I used default (non OC'd) memory speed (think it around 1000MHz) with Imdisk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

CrystalDiskMark 3.0.1 x64 © 2007-2010 hiyohiyo

Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [sATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 4090.674 MB/s

Sequential Write : 5472.913 MB/s

Random Read 512KB : 3984.519 MB/s

Random Write 512KB : 5289.138 MB/s

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 561.441 MB/s [137070.6 IOPS]

Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 512.815 MB/s [125198.9 IOPS]

Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 1343.460 MB/s [327993.2 IOPS]

Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1040.265 MB/s [253971.0 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [T: 13.0% (194.3/1500.0 MB)] (x5)

Date : 2012/02/18 19:53:42

OS : Windows 7 Ultimate Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64)

Are you sure you pressed 's' on your keybord at the menu? I think the linking failed for some reason. If you only mount the ramdrive, the system will not know what to place on the ramdrive.

I made it such way that it should not harm anything if you exectute it twice. Also be sure to run the script as administrator, it can have side effects (which I don't know).

edit; After running the setup part of the script, check if "<installpath>\/Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\DiskCacheArena" has an lil arrow in the icon (indicating that it is a link). The same can be checked if the SWTOR folder in appdata\local\ has an arrow in it.

I answered in my thread.

RamDrive doesn't seem to work for me.. I can only hope that BioWare comes up with a fix before my subscription runs out. :)

I want to try this and see if I get improved performance.

However will this cause decreased peformance in other games and applications on my PC?

No as the changes you make only effect the SWTOR files. You can easy dismount the ramdrive after playing SWTOR to clear up memory that the ramdisk takes. For other applications, keep in mind that using a ramdisk takes a portion of your memory so other programs can't use it.

Dismount ramdrive (can be in a batch script):

imdisk -D -m T:
Edited by Ocmer_

I answered in my thread.

RamDrive doesn't seem to work for me.. I can only hope that BioWare comes up with a fix before my subscription runs out. :)

Same thing was happening to me until I ran the batch file with admin rights, then it started working...