[HOWTO - RAMDRIVE] Increasing SWTOR System Performance

Lemon_King

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As u said i tried doing

CD (C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\retailclient\)

It says the same erroe specified path do not exist...so thats where the problem is from ?

CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\retailclient\

not

CD (C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\retailclient\)

cant be...

for example if i get the path from my launcher shortcut that what i get !

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\launcher.exe

You have spaces in the above file path that are not in what you originally posted.

All well and good... this post and all... except one glaring omission:

This game's "hitching" isn't caused by the data path traversing the SSD/HDD, RAM --> CPU pathway. It's caused in the processor due to duplicate and erroneous instruction being sent by the plague-ridden code this game's engine runs on.

A RAM drive will only be effective if the game can in fact sequentially, and orderly buffer data logically for processing. SWTOR... eh. I don't know why I even bother. I'll get flamed for saying anything I've already said.

Hi wanted to give this a try but thats what i get...

(this is just one line to show..)

mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\DiskCacheArena" "T:\DiskCacheArena"

The system cannot find the path specified

And so on...i have double checked and the path are goods...i am supposed to copy anything on the ram drive ? i mean manually

Thanks in advance for you answer !

cant be...

for example if i get the path from my launcher shortcut that what i get !

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\launcher.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\retailclient\

Find the difference, I guess you lack the 2 spaces around '-' between 'wars' and 'the', in the mklink code.

Edited by Ocmer_

All well and good... this post and all... except one glaring omission:

This game's "hitching" isn't caused by the data path traversing the SSD/HDD, RAM --> CPU pathway. It's caused in the processor due to duplicate and erroneous instruction being sent by the plague-ridden code this game's engine runs on.

A RAM drive will only be effective if the game can in fact sequentially, and orderly buffer data logically for processing. SWTOR... eh. I don't know why I even bother. I'll get flamed for saying anything I've already said.

I would love to see some numbers from this.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\retailclient\

Find the difference, I guess you lack the 2 spaces around '-' between 'wars' and 'the', in the mklink code.

Looks like the beta installer had no spaces between Wars-The at the time.

Corrected in the OP.

Looks like the beta installer had no spaces between Wars-The at the time.

Corrected in the OP.

just tried... same problem with me

cant find the mistake: "C:\Program Files (x86)\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\SWTOR\DiskCacheArena" "T:\DiskCacheArena"

i just checked my SWTOR folder. as i deleted the diskcachearena beforhand i dont have in the folder anymore....

any help? ty

... There is a huge difference in SSDs ...

Tbh Im very new to SSD recently (just bought a vertex3 120GB like 3 weeks ago) but I still noticed the hitching.

While I was doing some readup on my mobo I found out that my SATA600 connection actually is a Marvel 9120 controller, which is attaced to the PCI with a busspeed of 5Gb/s.

I don't know if it also have something to do with the hitching or speed but i definlty don't get higher speeds than 385MB/s seq-read and 161 MB/s seq-write.

Also (not that Im scared, don't get me wrong) I don't want to have extra unnecessary writes on it, I even use a ramdisk for my windows and ff cache ;p

Edited by Ocmer_

just tried... same problem with me

cant find the mistake: "C:\Program Files (x86)\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\SWTOR\DiskCacheArena" "T:\DiskCacheArena"

i just checked my SWTOR folder. as i deleted the diskcachearena beforhand i dont have in the folder anymore....

any help? ty

If you copy and paste the link (you try to use) in explorer, do you still get an error?

C:\Program Files (x86)\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\SWTOR\

For my pc I have also Electronic Arts in the path name:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor

Edited by Ocmer_

What to do on a Reboot with IMDrive?

Hmm it seems you have to use the trigger "at log on". I tried "at startup" but then task scheduler returned an error with something as 'user is not connected to the network, service is not available'.

Edited by Ocmer_

Did some more testing, and I gained a huge performance boost by moving the following files to memory - Requires a 4gig RamDrive.

As for the performance gain, character loading goes from a long series of dragged out bursts to one quick burst with characters popping in at extremely fast speeds.

swtor_main_art_dynamic_cape_1.tor
swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_1.tor
swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_tight_1.tor
swtor_main_art_dynamic_hand_1.tor
swtor_main_art_dynamic_head_1.tor
swtor_main_art_dynamic_lower_1.tor
swtor_main_art_dynamic_mags_1.tor
swtor_main_art_fx_1.tor

Hooray Atlas Generation, being slow. :p

With 8 gigs total and therefore a 4 gig ramdrive, d'you think the remaining 4 gigs is enough to keep Windows happy and the rest of the client smooth? Or is this a solution only 12 and up should consider?

I moved _fx_ and the cachearena to a ramdrive as per your howto, and that seems to be functioning, but I see no change in performance. Zipping along at 50-100 fps then suddenly, splat, 7-10 fps any time a fight breaks out, or a new person walks by, or a Kath hound sneezes :p. Huttball is nearly unplayable. The constant, just going-around the-world-and-questing stutters and hiccups and freezes and choking are incredibly frustrating. I'm about ready to let my sub run out until they release a real client.

Simple All-In-One Boot Batchfile

Excellent Post here with an all in one batch file by mrkitethreeeight

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=1965652

Some users have reported issues with using this batchfile if they moved the install folder around.

Aimed at mrkitethreeeight.

Not to nitpick but there can be some fixing/changing. (I did not test it myself but I'm just reading trough it!).

Overall

Does %localappdata% work under xp(64) aswell?, I know it does on Win7.

Line 6

[iF DEFINED installloc32 IF DEFINED installoc64 GOTO ERRinstloc]

Shouldn't it be [iF DEFINED installloc32 IF DEFINED install
l
oc64 GOTO ERRinstloc]

:COPY

[iF NOT EXIST "%installloc%\swtor\retailclient"]

Shouldn't it be [iF NOT EXIST "%installloc%\swtor\retailclient
\settings
"], because now it looks if the retailclient folder exists and not the settings folder.

Line 15

The code still creates a ramdisk of 2G while the OP changed it to 1500M, maybe change it aswell to reflect it?

:MKLINK3

You rename the DiskCacheArena but what if there was already a created mklink from a previous session and there is already a -orig, doesn't is ask to overwrite? Best is to delete the DiskCacheArena every time and (re-)create the mklink again. It is useless to keep the original DiskCacheArena anyway.

Edited by Ocmer_

With 8 gigs total and therefore a 4 gig ramdrive, d'you think the remaining 4 gigs is enough to keep Windows happy and the rest of the client smooth? Or is this a solution only 12 and up should consider?

Well.. when I did the first solution, I used the 2GB ramdisk (which is now 1.5GB) while my maximum was 6GB and everthing still ran smooth with 4GB left. Keep in mind that swtor uses around 1.2GB, so I had around 2.8GB left for windows and other programs.

Thank you for this!!

I'm hoping the FPS issues will be repaired soon..

I am no computer guru and all this code/virtual drives makes me nervous I will wreck something on my comp.

But at least if it comes to a point where I can't stand the drops and lag,.. I can now follow your handy dandy instructions and do something about it!

Thank you thank you thank you!!

Well.. when I did the first solution, I used the 2GB ramdisk (which is now 1.5GB) while my maximum was 6GB and everthing still ran smooth with 4GB left. Keep in mind that swtor uses around 1.2GB, so I had around 2.8GB left for windows and other programs.

Yes, that's what I'm using now with just the original suggestion. What I meant was, in what I quoted it's recommended to use a 4GB ramdrive to get everything else to fit; since my sys is 8 gigs, is that a good idea?

I imagine I could just take the batch script, place in additional lines for all the extra files, run it, and see if anything explodes o_O

I tried to point it out several times.

When you are on the fleet on a server with 60 players you have a tiny fps drop compared to a server with 240 players on the fleet.

We talk from 110 FPS down to 35 FPS instead of tiny 110 FPS to 85 FPS spikes.

Heck, I could understand it if all those 240 players where in visible range so that the GPU had to render their textures, but that is not even the case.

You can load the whole game into RAM, it will still do so, since the gd process hammers one CPU core up to 100% causing a bottleneck which then results with a drop in FPS.

This has nothing to do with not getting the textures forwarded fast enough from SSD, but with the swtor.exe process hogging up CPU time for something that is completely unnecessary.

I can point at loads of MMORPG's with top end graphics where such amount of players in no way creates such insane spikes.

But those are also fully optimized to work with multiple threads/cores.

I remember another mmorpg having an issue alike some years ago, the problem was that the game requested every darn character info for every characters in the area, which is completely unneeded.

They fixed it and admitted that it was an issue of to many requests in the patch release notes.

Later on the same issue occurred with a raid boss, to many unneeded/duplicated requests, causing stuttering and fps drops.

Edited by Mineria

Aimed at mrkitethreeeight.

Overall

Does %localappdata% work under xp(64) aswell?, I know it does on Win7.

No, that path variable only works for Vista and Windows 7.

Windows XP has it located at %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data

Registry can be checked to get the and set the correct path in a batch script.

Registry key = ('HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders', 'Local AppData')

Edited by Mineria

a little update here i was having crash trying to land on tatoïne

it was caused by DiskCacheStatic who went from 15ko to 102Mo so my 1.1Go ramdrive wasnt big enough, just resize it to 1.5Go and now it's fine

i can test in ilum with some big pvp cause i'm in a pve server, so i will check the size of DiskCacheStatic in raid and with my reroll to estimate its max size