Back in my day...

skrill

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiting ages for shuttle in Coronet and making friendships that lasted till today... Most of us play SWTOR together and that is over 45 peeps :)

Jedi Knight trials that were very hard to complete.

Ahh the days before Jedi with blasters, Jedi hiding out on Kashyyk because BH could not use probe droids on that planet, Spy's paying people off to find where they are lol.

Jedi's not being the weakest class in game.

Going to Aurlia and Yavin to train with the Jedi hiding from the Imperials. Good times.

Edited by Kanharn

Back in my day the gaming world was text. Players that made it to the highest level were called Wizards and could create items and landscapes and quests in the game.

This. Do not mess with Wizards.

I remember when content updates were when a few text cells were rewritten with new descriptions because one faction of players had destroyed a town. Ah memories.

Of course, people forget that in the modern era of rich content, that's just a teensy bit harder to do, but it made for some very living worlds.

!

This is a REALLY interesting topic, I'm on page nine so far, and I'm going to read it all.

Why am I not playing SWTOR? Well I'm waiting for my new laptop.. so in the meantime, I'm reading! This thread has got me all interested in how MMOs all began, and for me it was my brief time playin Asherons Call when I went to visit a relative who had an amazing computer for that time, and had that game, with Starcraft on his PC. I was still young at the time, maybe like 10-14 or something, and I always knew I'd like MMORPGs as my favorite games that I grew up with were RPGs... Shining Force II on SEGA and Earthbound on SNES. Anyways, it wasn't until many years later when I started playing Warcraft, and to this day I haven't yet to pass level 50. I started late, in 2008, so I felt I already missed out on the prime time - and I did - and even though it was fun, I felt like I wasn't part of the launch, and all I saw before me were expansions and so many hours of content.

Anyways... I'm watching this now and thought it may be interesting for some that are reading this thread. I'm only a few minutes into it, yet it's cool.. you might like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgYuJczGv8o

Back in my day, you had to remember to eat & drink or your character died from starvation, and dropped all their gear so that anyone could pick them up if you didn't get to your corpse in time - and that wasn't just around the corner, oh no.

It was S, then W, then E, then N N N N N N, then E, W, W, S, then S S S, E E and hope that your corpserun didn't encounter a ghost that could attack you even while dead! And that's assuming you could remember the map well enough to get back to where you died!

Edited by Grammarye

Yeah MMO's used to be truly social experiences instead of being solo play games with a chat box like TOR and other MMO's today. I certainly miss the feel of MMO's like EQ where you could spend months exploring and they had strong communities. Those days you felt like the wilderness was dangerous, you didn't long distance travel lightly. I remember taking my level 10 in eq from qeynos to freeport, not having any idea where I was going, getting killed by a giant, the excitement of having reached highhold pass, sneaking thru nek forest sweating bullets that I'd die any second, and elation at finally reaching my destination. You just don't get that sense of excitement, danger, or need to socially band with others in any MMO anymore.

EQ, early EQ, was glorious because is was the first 3d persistent world for a lot of people.

It felt like a world. My first toon as a DE DK in early beta. There was a few small rounds of invites before me and I can in just after the last player wipe. There is no way for a game to capture those feelings again because it wasn't what EQ did that made it great, it's what it was.

BTW, I completely lost my corpse in a lake taking the long way to qeynos. All my stuff. Gone. It was beta, but it still hurt.

I had no gate, needed to ask for a bind and could only be bound in certain places, was KOS in a lot of places, my toon was underpowered, I couldn't solo crap that gave me exp except certain guards which killed my faction and made my KOS to places I didn't want to be KOS to.

Then I cheezed a druid at release. There were zero BOE items, we used to pass around the boots from naj amongst my groups of friends. We were well ahead of the curve level wise. My little twink alt weeks later had to wait in line in naj to get the boots.

I camped mitty with a friend for 24 hours. Yup, a 24 hour camp. We got the ring though. Some idiot came once while we were doing it and asked to alternate kills. Which was the stupidest thing I ever heard.

Why did I mention all this? Because I wanted to.

The world was a big enough threat that just surviving meant working together.

It was Ultima Online for me. I was overwhemed the first time I played. I actually had to ask customer support for a few pointers, which they were kind enough to give me, in realtime. :D

Those were the days indeed.

Edited by TheTurniipKing

-There was no quests. All pure grinding or even 3-4 quests each 15 levels

-No factions. PvP was free for all, and those who PvPed were called "PKers". Oh, the joy of killing griefers was priceless. Now everything is made so everybody can grief you out of safety

-There was that guild on your server who were trully FEARED and controlled all of the server´s economy. You had to suck many many balls to get invited

-Nothing was instanced. You could run into another raid group trying to kill the same boss. Of course, war happened

-When you died, beside losing XP, you´d drop a random number of YOUR gear just like mobs. That alone encouraged PK killing

-It took over 150 players to kill a dragon. After several wipes, of course...

To be honest, I didn't play MMO's back then, I am very scrubbish! First MMO was World of Warcraft the Burning Crusade, and I can't really say much, mine compare no where near yours! However;

1.) I remember when you had to literally travel half way across the World for 1 dungeon run, then trek your way back to your cities capital, look for another group, then go back again!

2.) I remember when raids were relatively hard! at least for my taste, I suppose I am a softy! Raidin' Karazhan with my boyfriends guild, (I wasn't even in the guild.. they pug'd me because I begged for months.)

However, if I could go back permanently and experience the challenge, I would, However, Bioware has whipped up a fine MMO here! So I am happy!

Sadly, it's never going to happen, for these reasons.

As I said upstream, the sense of "virtual world" in MMOs is almost vestigial these days. They're mostly heavily instanced single player games that give you the option of playing with other people.

That doesn't mean they can't be fun - for a while.

+1 Thanks for the good read.

Back in my day, you had to remember to eat & drink or your character died from starvation, and dropped all their gear so that anyone could pick them up if you didn't get to your corpse in time - and that wasn't just around the corner, oh no.

It was S, then W, then E, then N N N N N N, then E, W, W, S, then S S S, E E and hope that your corpserun didn't encounter a ghost that could attack you even while dead! And that's assuming you could remember the map well enough to get back to where you died!

lol ! yeah i remember this. or dragging too much gold from the back on your char and it dropped to the ground and someone else picked it up XD

The world was a big enough threat that just surviving meant working together.

It was Ultima Online for me. I was overwhemed the first time I played. I actually had to ask customer support for a few pointers, which they were kind enough to give me, in realtime. :D

Those were the days indeed.

Yeah and after UO i expected GMs to materialize in game like they did in UO. Haha that was a joke now GMs are just a reply back letter and no help. UO also had counselors where was pretty cool. They were other players with powers just below GM who were very helpful. I only played one other MMO where the GMs actually had in game avatars with GM gear that you couldnt get..ever :) Oh in ultima you could also get put in jail..haha which i was once. so theres that XD

Yeah and after UO i expected GMs to materialize in game like they did in UO. Haha that was a joke now GMs are just a reply back letter and no help. UO also had counselors where was pretty cool. They were other players with powers just below GM who were very helpful. I only played one other MMO where the GMs actually had in game avatars with GM gear that you couldnt get..ever :) Oh in ultima you could also get put in jail..haha which i was once. so theres that XD

I remember back in UO gear made you take less damage. And thats it.

Wearing a t shirt doesnt make you stronger.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.