What are good professions and crew skills for the Operative?

Tashohnie

Trying to read up on crafting and sort of lost... is there racial/class bonuses for crafting?

I personally wanted to go: Artifice - Archaeology - Treasure Hunting

From a chart I read those 3 professions go together nicely but is there a better combo for operative?

edit: never played beta which is why im clueless :)

Edited by gotem

There's no reason to go Artifice as an IA, unless you're thinking bigger picture or something and want to corner the market on crystals/hilts for Jedi/Sith. :D

But, yes, if you really want to be an Artificer, then those are the skills you'd use.

From a purely meta game point of view, Biochem or Cybernetics is the best way to go. You could be even more meta and do both, and buy your ingredients off the GTN or have friends/guildies willing to feed them to you.

If you're not that meta, then anything really goes. In Beta, due to our constant wipes, I usually just went Slicing/Diplomacy/Investigation just to get credits, random loot drops from item boxes, and Companion gifts, for instance while leveling.

I might do that again, just for leveling, then will likely switch to Biochem and Cybernetics at 50.

There's no reason to go Artifice as an IA, unless you're thinking bigger picture or something and want to corner the market on crystals/hilts for Jedi/Sith. :D

But, yes, if you really want to be an Artificer, then those are the skills you'd use.

From a purely meta game point of view, Biochem or Cybernetics is the best way to go. You could be even more meta and do both, and buy your ingredients off the GTN or have friends/guildies willing to feed them to you.

If you're not that meta, then anything really goes. In Beta, due to our constant wipes, I usually just went Slicing/Diplomacy/Investigation just to get credits, random loot drops from item boxes, and Companion gifts, for instance while leveling.

I might do that again, just for leveling, then will likely switch to Biochem and Cybernetics at 50.

Going to switch over to Biochem - Bioanalysis - Diplomacy then. Might as well go a profession that I can benefit from.

I had planned on taking Slicing, Scavenging, and Investigation. As I see it, it gives me raw materials for my armor, weapons, and mods; the ability to get the rare schematics for those three categories; as well as some credits along the way. Also, I expect the slicing and scavenging will be useful in the Operations/Flash Points as an added bonus.

Then again, this only works for individuals who do not want to craft, or have friends / guildmates that can craft the items they want. As a final resort, you can poll the crafters of your particular server and trade materials for services rendered and call it a day *shrug*.

Edited by Fayieon

I'm really stuck for choice as well, Biochem, Bioanalysis and Diplomacy was my first choice.

Now I'm considering Cybertech, Scavenging and Underworld Trading.

Leaning more towards Cybertech as I'm picking operative AC and they can self heal, but at the same time I could sell my produce from Biochem on the trade network and make some credits... While Cybertech can make some nifty grenades I believe and mods (Don't quote me, just getting to grips with this myself). :jawa_confused:

I've personally gone Cyber, Slicing and Salvaging.

I did this too but I'm regretting it now because Underworld Trading gives the blue and purple mats for cyber, so I can only make ****** greens until I figure out how to replace slicing. :X

I did this too but I'm regretting it now because Underworld Trading gives the blue and purple mats for cyber, so I can only make ****** greens until I figure out how to replace slicing. :X

Click the 'X' next to Slicing in your Crew Skills Window and then go talk to the trainer with the Crew Skill you want to learn to replace it with.