Why can't people let this game and WoW coexist?

BOLTgamer

I mean, they are both great games for what they are. WoW is more of a game for the younger audience now, and SWTOR is more for all people of ages (Considering die hard star wars fans are playing, and they're old) so why can't they both coexist?

I mean, SWTOR will end 2012 with a couple million subs, and WoW will still have around 8-9m subs. Why can't these games coexist? If there isn't competition then there isn't any innovation, do you really want mmos to go that direction? With no innovation and the same game with a different skin, like shooters?

Are they not currently both existing? (this one being for the moment at any rate)

I think he's more referring to the fact that MMORPG fans by and large are extremely defensive when it comes to their game of choice. When an MMORPG player finds a game they like/love, they tend to view any competition as a threat rather than something that can help the genre as a whole grow.

It's silly. I've enjoyed almost every MMORPG I've played over the years for different reasons. I want them all to succeed.

Because for some people games seem to be like sport teams. You have your own and everyone else's is not the best or gonna beat your's in this years games bowl.

Not everyone is this way of course. Some people can quite happily play and like more then one game at a time. Even MMO's. Some people actually PAY for more then one game at a time.

I know...weird huh? ;)

I think people got a little too used to the hype of "This game will kill WoW" (on repeat) and kind of made it a little thing of their own to sit down and play "Find 10 matches".

However the games will inevitably co-exist, until the day that one of the games go offline, which will probably be unrelated to people on forums sitting and going "They're so alike!"

I can't think of an MMORPG released post-WoW that haven't had it's share of similarity-posts.

People cant accept the fact that wow is the best and will always be the best until blizz release its follow up mmo.

The sooner companies grow up and design a new mmo based on original idea's and concepts instead of immatating wow and trying to beat them...then we might actually see some decent fking mmo realease...

Guild wars 2, from what iv seen they have went and created their own path, time will tell.

Edited by Pupulus

I think he's more referring to the fact that MMORPG fans by and large are extremely defensive when it comes to their game of choice. When an MMORPG player finds a game they like/love, they tend to view any competition as a threat rather than something that can help the genre as a whole grow.

It's silly. I've enjoyed almost every MMORPG I've played over the years for different reasons. I want them all to succeed.

People are here because they wanted this game to succeed. They forked over $60 because they expected to enjoy it, not because they wanted to rip the game apart on the forums. The game did not meet expectations for alot of people so they get upset they lost $60.

Edited by Taurusaud

People are here because they wanted this game to succeed. They forked over $60 because they expected to enjoy it, not because they wanted to rip the game apart on the forums. The game did not meet expectations for alot of people so they get upset they lost $60.

For every person who didn't enjoy it, though, there are many who do enjoy it and don't ever touch the forums. =P It's a fallacy for any forum going group to assume their group is large or significant.

If you don't like it, unsub. There's no need to tear into the game at every opportunity.

I mean, they are both great games for what they are. WoW is more of a game for the younger audience now, and SWTOR is more for all people of ages (Considering die hard star wars fans are playing, and they're old) so why can't they both coexist?

I mean, SWTOR will end 2012 with a couple million subs, and WoW will still have around 8-9m subs. Why can't these games coexist? If there isn't competition then there isn't any innovation, do you really want mmos to go that direction? With no innovation and the same game with a different skin, like shooters?

These thread literally make us all dumber.

Because of the following:

1. SWTOR fails on some basic design levels that MMO's of today's standard shouldn't.

2. The innovation it does have has been attempted in other MMO's that haven't passed and are now F2P.

Nothing in SWTOR hasn't been tried and finessed in WoW, AoC, Rift and Aion. SWTOR devs took all the systems from those games that were highlighted and praised and then butchered them in the making of SWTOR, while excelling at the single player game aspect.

That's why they can't exist. A 7 year old game that is well over 10 years old in it's game engine is still able to pull more mechanics and varieties and systems then any of the "New Age" MMO's that have been released.

Edited by wrmrstacrdwower

People cant accept the fact that wow is the best and will always be the best until blizz release its follow up mmo.

The sooner companies grow up and design a new mmo based on original idea's and concepts instead of immatating wow and trying to beat them...then we might actually see some decent fking mmo realease...

Guild wars 2, from what iv seen they have went and created their own path, time will tell.

WoW is the best? Last time I checked everyone playing it complained it sucked really bad, and its evolution, not revolution. Thats like saying RPG's changed so much. How different is Oblivion from morrowind? Fable from Fable 3?

I've been playing games since computers came out that could play games. Been buying them too. I have 2 whole shelves of old games that I bought, paid various prices for and found them lacking. If got as upset as some people seem to be getting every time I'd gotten a game that ends up stinking I'd have given myself an aneruysm by now.

I'm using some because I do think that some critism is warranted. It the people that make it sound like it's the end of the world ( and go on and on and on) that they got something that they ended up not liking that make me wonder. It sounds like there is more to it then just simply losing 60 bucks. Though I could be wrong and there are people that get super upset any time they pay for a game that they thought they'd like and end up hating it.

1. SWTOR fails on some basic design levels that MMO's of today's standard shouldn't.

2. The innovation it does have has been attempted in other MMO's that haven't passed and are now F2P.

Nothing in SWTOR hasn't been tried and finessed in WoW, AoC, Rift and Aion. SWTOR devs took all the systems from those games that were highlighted and praised and then butchered them in the making of SWTOR, while excelling at the single player game aspect.

That's why they can't exist. A 7 year old game that is well over 10 years old in it's game engine is still able to pull more mechanics and varieties and systems then any of the "New Age" MMO's that have been released.

I know, but did SWTOR ever promise anything new or innovating? No, so you're the fool for buying it, expecting great new innovations when they promised none. PLUS you even got to try the game in the open beta weekends in november.

I respectfully disagree.

WoW is the best? Last time I checked everyone playing it complained it sucked really bad, and its evolution, not revolution. Thats like saying RPG's changed so much. How different is Oblivion from morrowind? Fable from Fable 3?

Yup they all complain, but even the complainers know its probaly the best mmo experience they will have after trying all the new overhyped garbage like tor and rift, resulting in them doing back and complaining again. mmo's need to evolve and change bioware promised that but instead we got generic rubbish.

Not everyone is complaining about any game. Be lucky if even close to half the players even go on the forums of any game.

You will also notice while they are complaining they are still playing because they say themselfs they cant find anything better at the moment.

By the way. I play both and will continue to do so for as long as I can.

Both are great games and alot of fun.

I know dude... Go figure :confused:

People remember the old wow from years ago, when the game seemed new & awesome if you were new to mmos, wow is way way past its use by date, its old, stale and graphically dated now, I have no interest in playing pandas with little leet wow kiddies, I want this shiny new titan project to appear & be a next gen mmo with all that used to be good about wow, sadly it may well be vapourware lol..

Swtor is in direct competition with wow, but rushed to release an unfinished unpolished product with a multitude of bugs to compete with the well polished old friend that people find in wow, I think bioware needs a good kicking for assuming they could get away with releasing a massively overhyped but substandard product, Ill give it 2 months to show major improvement or until gw2 releases.

They will. For all the whining on the forums, the fact that out of the 30 people i know playing, only 2 had something negative to say about it speaks volumes.

WoW will remain top dog right now, but now it has a competitor. One with a strong IP, an accomplished developer, and a large fanbase. We may see that crown change hands in a couple years, but until one is shut down, there is plenty of room for both.

Simple answer is money. For a sub based mmo to lose subs, it is a sizable chunk of cash gone. Of course no one say you ca't sub both games at once, but honestly speaking how many will do that.

This is also why many of the trolls keep advertising gw2 as it is f2p so they aren't a direct competition to activision's bank account.