The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What are rules on naming characters?

Malus_Rex

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to make a new alt but everything I have tried seems to be 'invalid' Putting little ' and - doesn't seem to work either.

Is there a post somewhere about naming?

You can put an apostrophe (') in your name. I think you can have a space(not sure). I also think your name can't contain certain words but not sure what that list is consisting of.

It seems to have moved but I found a cached version. But I'm not sure why they've changed the original notice which included these:-

Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

1. You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

2. You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

3. You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

4. You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

5. You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

6. You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

7. You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

8. You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

9. You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

10. You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

11. You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

12. You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

13. You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.

Edited by Xerda

Or he could maybe, you know, just deal with it?

Reporting them is dealing with them... kind of ;-).

I gotta say, I normally don't report players for using (in my eyes) idiotic names,, since those names are a pretty nifty way of letting me know I'd do better to avoid them.

Still, I've reported one name (had the strong feeling he particularly picked that name to annoy and anger role players - on an RP server). He had to change the name. So instead of "Dragon Age", the toon is now known as "Dwagon Age" (I, of course, did not include real names).

I've encountered HamSolo, Darth-Sithius and similar. Eh, as I said, pretty good way to judge whom to avoid.

• 4 years later...
If the name got past their filters then it can't be violating their TOS.

The filters are updated on a rolling basis. Just because a name escaped the filter earlier... does not mean it would today. I have seen numerous posts of players deleting a name place-holder character and when created a new character the name is invalid.

The studio largely relies on players to report names that violate the ToS.... and probably update their filters as part of the review and action.

By the looks of those rules, I think it'd be near impossible to not violate at least one.

Iv'e yet to bump up against one of those rules, so I must disagree.

To the OP.. the only recent change to the naming rules given above is that we can now put a space in our names + increased character count .. which is a great change. It has allowed me to use many of my favorite names in MMOs as use this format:

<favorite name>[space]<legacy name> for my characters.

Of course this means I need to turn legacy name off on my character name display so as to not be redundant.. but I'm fine with that.

Edited by Andryah

Yea, but we SHOULD be reporting people who break the rules/terms of service.

How does this negatively affect you? It doesn't. Stop trying to rain on other people's parades. Report the scammers, cheaters and bots. Don't report players who aren't harming anyone and enjoying their game.

Start in Yavin 4 temple district on the Harbinger PvP phase. You can report to your heart's content.

How does this negatively affect you? It doesn't. Stop trying to rain on other people's parades. Report the scammers, cheaters and bots. Don't report players who aren't harming anyone and enjoying their game.

Some names are just plain offensive, racist, pejorative, etc.

I don't advocate reporting every name violation.. but offensive, racist, and pejorative names I do report.

Some names are just plain offensive, racist, pejorative, etc.

I don't advocate reporting every name violation.. but offensive, racist, and pejorative names I do report.

I totally 100% agree. Racism and the like has no place in the game. Someone roleplaying their favorite character has no negative effect on the economy, the well being of the playerbase or financial interests of Bioware. It actually may increase their sales.

Edited by usctrojans

I am trying to make a new alt but everything I have tried seems to be 'invalid' Putting little ' and - doesn't seem to work either.

Is there a post somewhere about naming?

Some names are inexplicably invalid.

Both "Tara" and "Storm" are invalid, no matter what you try to pair with them.

If the name got past their filters then it can't be violating their TOS.

Yes it can. They probably have not added in the names from the newest movie. As names are reported,

they become blocked if they are in violation.

I use this sometimes to generate names. The longer ones are more likely to be accepted than others. If you go through the Randm Name Generator in Character Creation, I think those are more likely to have been taken, either by players or bots.

For me with my name creating:

Some are variations of real names, then given a "Fantasy" flair- Toryah for example, is Tory. Sophia became Sophria. Lyraine sounded cool to my then 16-year old ears, though Alei was more of a pun I came with for an OC in TCW-era, being a Jedi of Mandalorian descent and being quite awful at being a Jedi (so she was "a lie" which almost how it is pronounced).

Reading this thread and the rules for naming policies cracks me up.

I see all of these name violations. #10 about drug reference. Don't know if they are still around but there was on Harbinger the 420 guild...it broke up and came back as 420 reloaded...