Does this Game...

sadokun

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel like BW pumped 100million or so dollars into it? Just thought about it on my break at work. Loving the game but curious and I'd really like to know what the other players think.

Yep. The game is big, with lots of planets and content, specially unique class content. On top of that, it has an insane amount of voice acting, and don't forget the animation team that did all the gestures and facial anim. Star Wars licence and music also cost money.

The game has bugs? Yes, and they are fixing it as we go along. Same with tweaks and added content. Any MMO is like this.

This is taken directly from EALouse a few years ago, years before the beta of this game was released. Now sit there and tell me that this doesn't all seem true, now:

"There are plenty of other accusations of incompetence and cronyism but my favorite spitball is reserved for the famed RPG studio that was once seen as being above such things. "Bioware? Don't make me laugh. They've spent more money making The Old Republic than James Cameron spent on Avatar. **** you not. More than $ 300 million! Can you believe that?" he wrote.

"And you know what they're most proud of? This is the kicker. They are most proud of the sound. No seriously. Something like a 20 gig installation, and most of it is voiceover work. That's the best they have. The rest of the game is a joke," he continued. "EA knows it and so does George Lucas, they're panicking, and so most of Mythic has already been cannibalized to work in Austin on it because they can't keep pushing back launch. Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs from EA. Probably at the level of the Sims Online."

That's pretty.. scary. He's either Nostradamous, or a guy who worked on the game for a long time and explained it for what it is after being laid off.

Yep. The game is big, with lots of planets and content, specially unique class content. On top of that, it has an insane amount of voice acting, and don't forget the animation team that did all the gestures and facial anim. Star Wars licence and music also cost money.

The game has bugs? Yes, and they are fixing it as we go along. Same with tweaks and added content. Any MMO is like this.

True statement is true.

That's pretty.. scary. He's either Nostradamous, or a guy who worked on the game for a long time and explained it for what it is after being laid off.

Or he could just be some random guy that wanted to flame Bioware and EA and SW: TOR.

Edited by Kemosobe

Hi there!

We recently had to remove some posts in this thread. We wanted to take a moment and remind everyone of the Forum Rules and Guidelines.

Please remember that users are allowed to disagree with one another. We understand that sometimes subjects can get heated, but we do ask that everyone is respectful and polite to each other while giving their opinions. Here are some quick examples to keep in mind when posting.

• Never insult another community member.
  • Always discuss the topic and give constructive criticism.
  • If you feel someone is violates the Rules of Conduct, do not reply to them; simply report (flag) the post.
  • If someone is being a troll, don’t feed them. Simply do not reply and report (flag) the post.
  • Be respectful to all community members; while you may not agree with their opinion, you should not be rude to them.

Thanks for your understanding, and please enjoy your friendly debate!

Hi there!

We recently had to remove some posts in this thread. We wanted to take a moment and remind everyone of the Forum Rules and Guidelines.

Please remember that users are allowed to disagree with one another. We understand that sometimes subjects can get heated, but we do ask that everyone is respectful and polite to each other while giving their opinions. Here are some quick examples to keep in mind when posting.

• Never insult another community member.
  • Always discuss the topic and give constructive criticism.
  • If you feel someone is violates the Rules of Conduct, do not reply to them; simply report (flag) the post.
  • If someone is being a troll, don’t feed them. Simply do not reply and report (flag) the post.
  • Be respectful to all community members; while you may not agree with their opinion, you should not be rude to them.

Thanks for your understanding, and please enjoy your friendly debate!

Thank you, I'd appreciate these guys not attacking me for my opinions. Thanks for stepping in!

I never intend to play wow again but I do have a level 80.

The main problem I have with swtor ( i don't have many problems ), is the characters are so stagnant animation wise, the idle animations are a good example, you just stand there like a doll, you wouldn't even know it was suppose to be a living person, and all the animations are like that, part of WoWs appeal for me was the cartoon edge to the graphics including the animations, they've done the same thing here sans animations and it makes the whole thing look too much like it's just playing with action figures instead of playing with real people.

I also love writing macros and messing with the UI, it makes the game feel more like it's mine, there are some mistakes one can make with macros but they are easily avoided. Some classes (looking at you knights and warriors) are just a bit too complex you often need to be looking down at the bars instead of up at the fight waiting for procs and cooldowns and this and that. macros would go along way to making things smoother.

I'm glad they're slowly plowing through the bugs and that is the most important job to do for now, but it makes me worry about the little things and how long it will take to get around to them, if they ever do.

Edited by areto

This is taken directly from EALouse a few years ago, years before the beta of this game was released. Now sit there and tell me that this doesn't all seem true, now:

"There are plenty of other accusations of incompetence and cronyism but my favorite spitball is reserved for the famed RPG studio that was once seen as being above such things. "Bioware? Don't make me laugh. They've spent more money making The Old Republic than James Cameron spent on Avatar. **** you not. More than $ 300 million! Can you believe that?" he wrote.

"And you know what they're most proud of? This is the kicker. They are most proud of the sound. No seriously. Something like a 20 gig installation, and most of it is voiceover work. That's the best they have. The rest of the game is a joke," he continued. "EA knows it and so does George Lucas, they're panicking, and so most of Mythic has already been cannibalized to work in Austin on it because they can't keep pushing back launch. Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs from EA. Probably at the level of the Sims Online."

yea i saw that article and then i take a look and play this game... no way this game cost 200-300 million... i think the higher management blew the cash on big houses, beautiful women, fast cars, and long vacations....... at the expense of the gamers.......

I never intend to play wow again but I do have a level 80.

The main problem I have with swtor ( i don't have many problems ), is the characters are so stagnant animation wise, the idle animations are a good example, you just stand there like a doll, you wouldn't even no it was suppose to be a living person, and all the animations are like that, part of WoWs appeal for me was the cartoon edge to the graphics including the animations, they've done the same thing here sans animations and it makes the whole thing look too much like the whole thing is just playing with action figures instead of playing with real people.

I also love writing macros and messing with the UI, it makes the game feel more like it's mine, there are some mistakes one can make with macros but they are easily avoided. Some classes (looking at you knights and warriors) are just a bit too complex you often need to be looking down at the bars instead of up at the fight waiting for procs and cooldowns and this and that. macros would go along way to making things smoother.

I'm glad they're slowly plowing through the bugs and that is the most important job to do for now, but it makes me worry about the little things and how long it will take to get around to them, if they ever do.

That's exactly what I think. How can people cling to the fact of "they'll patch it, it was just released!!" when it was in development for 5 years and had a budget of a third-world country? I mean, how could they release combat delay? How could they release PVP in the state its in? It's baffling.. I feel.. insulted, as I pointed out previously.

yea i saw that article and then i take a look and play this game... no way this game cost 200-300 million... i think the higher management blew the cash on big houses, beautiful women, fast cars, and long vacations....... at the expense of the gamers.......

LOL, that may be. Either that or they foolishly wasted all their money on a stupid voice-acting gimmick which wears off half way through your first toon. How does that foster alts? Which in turn one asks.. how does the game have legs??

.. and paying 15 bucks a month so guys like me and you can have new content, no bugs, and an amazing, beautiful MMO.

See how that works, good sir?

Try WoW at the same time since release since SWTOR, and then tell me about all that content and lack of bugs, lol.

See how that works?

As for the "beautiful" part... You can't be serious? WoWs looks are laughable at best for today. It's reasonable to attribute it to age, but to claim it as beautiful is just wrong.

That's exactly what I think. How can people cling to the fact of "they'll patch it, it was just released!!" when it was in development for 5 years and had a budget of a third-world country? I mean, how could they release combat delay? How could they release PVP in the state its in? It's baffling.. I feel.. insulted, as I pointed out previously.

because the upper management blew the budget on big houses, beautiful women, fast cars and long vacations..... wish i can do that....

.. and who will still be king? LOL.. I'm only arguing what he said. He said SW:TOR will be the new MMO king.

And by king, I mean an absolute behemoth in terms of community, subscriptions, and content. This is how I see the next year playing out:

WoWx5 = top (as usual.. nothing can touch it, really)

GW2 = Great game, good launch, retains 1mil plus subscribers its first year..

Rift = Continues to retain 750-1mil subscribers

SW:TOR = Peaks at 500k subscribers, possibly F2P within the year

This is opinion and projection on my part, please don't hate me for my opinion.

rift is under 300k btw... look it up. So what is your purpose here still? you havent proven anything while plenty have given you valid arguments that you either ignore or just spam what you think is "fact" when in reality is just your opinion. You continue to make yourself look bad even for a WoW fanboy. You have no grip on reality, you should get one.

Try WoW at the same time since release since SWTOR, and then tell me about all that content and lack of bugs, lol.

See how that works?

As for the "beautiful" part... You can't be serious? WoWs looks are laughable at best for today. It's reasonable to attribute it to age, but to claim it as beautiful is just wrong.

SW:TOR isn't comparing with WoW from 2004, which, by the way was revolutionary. It's comparing with WoW in 2012. See how that works?

LOL, that may be. Either that or they foolishly wasted all their money on a stupid voice-acting gimmick which wears off half way through your first toon. How does that foster alts? Which in turn one asks.. how does the game have legs??

it doesnt even take me 30 levels to realize that my decisions doesnt contribute to the turning of the story by level 10... so i spacebar'd my way to 30 and decided i had enough and shelfed the game for good. im still here because of the drama haha might as well make use of my fiddy-nine-nindy-nine-----

and anyone who recommand this game to their friends at this current state isnt a true friend....

Edited by Concede

rift is under 300k btw... look it up. So what is your purpose here still? you havent proven anything while plenty have given you valid arguments that you either ignore or just spam what you think is "fact" when in reality is just your opinion. You continue to make yourself look bad even for a WoW fanboy. You have no grip on reality, you should get one.

Oh, I think I've proven quite a bit. Even the CM had to step in and defend me. Again:

There are plenty of other accusations of incompetence and cronyism but my favorite spitball is reserved for the famed RPG studio that was once seen as being above such things. "Bioware? Don't make me laugh. They've spent more money making The Old Republic than James Cameron spent on Avatar. **** you not. More than $ 300 million! Can you believe that?" he wrote.

You can't sit there and say this guy wasn't for real years ago. How did he know it was going to be a huge flop? How did he know the moronic installation size due to.. get this, voice acting? No one could have known what he knew if he wasn't telling the truth, period. And his prediction came to fruition.

SW:TOR isn't comparing with WoW from 2004, which, by the way was revolutionary. It's comparing with WoW in 2012. See how that works?

WoW took most of its features from older MMOs. Hardly revolutionary. Actually sounds a lot like Swtor.

See how that works?

Feel like BW pumped 100million or so dollars into it?

To me, if they did it for 100 million, they got a bargain!

Everyone I speak to ingame, or let me be accurate for accuracy's sake... Just about everyone I speak to, and if I just follow "General" ingame, thinks this game is EPIC! Including myself.

There are some improvments to be made, but as for "how the game feels", it should've cost a lot more.

One thing I found very interesting, is that a lot of people have no problem rolling an alt or even 2, when their main isn't 50 yet.

In the "old days", in other MMOs, leveling is such a drag, that you just kept pushing your one character, with the promise that your nightmare will end once you hit 60, or 70, or 80 or 85. You just kept your head down, and pushed.

Here, you play till you get your speeder, and a bit more till you're mid-30s...

Then, "I wonder what this AC will feel like?"

Let's roll it an see!

I have double BH's.

To me, the only "nightmare" is playing the starter zone for the 5th time or more...

And getting to 14 for sprint.

Oh yes it does , voice actors dont come cheap nowadays, and only accept 80000$s cars just for trying out.

I bet a bank robber would make more moneys stealing furniture at BW than an average bank. :rolleyes:

Edited by maximusedward

/agree

Also, it is just hard to get into any MMO that has been out for more than 2-3 years. Everyone currently playing it already is at max level which means there are less people to level with. If they do make alts and are leveling while trying to do group things, they do not even try and allow new players to get a grasp of something they have been playing for years. Everyone having a clean slate with this MMO is the best thing about new MMOs, everyone is stupid when it comes to the game.

Had I not had my cousin's guild, WoW would have been absolute hell lol. I have to wonder how anyone gets into it at this point.

I don't think TOR will topple WoW though. I don't really see why it even needs to. There are people out there that seem to think that if TOR does not become King of MMO Land, it will fail horribly. Honestly, I don't even believe having a King of MMO Land is a good thing. As it stands, with the MMOs that have come out recently, this entire genre has a chance at becoming something more than:

"I play MMOs."

"Oh, so you play WoW then."

To the general gaming population and I think that can only be a good thing. Monopolies only breed stagnation and stagnation kills. When gamers know that there are more games out there than just WoW, then we have a better chance to gain more subscriptions all around. Before I actually got into MMOs, I thought that the only game worth playing in the genre was WoW, now it isn't. I got into WoW for my cousin. I got into TOR because it was something I was actually interested in.

it doesnt even take me 30 levels to realize that my decisions doesnt contribute to the turning of the story by level 10... so i spacebar'd my way to 30 and decided i had enough and shelfed the game for good. im still here because of the drama haha might as well make use of my fiddy-nine-nindy-nine-----

The first 10 levels I was really excited.. I thought that my decisions would make a difference. By the level (for me) 20 I realized it was all useless, that's when I started skipping. So, when people realize this.. does that foster the creation of alts? Honestly, it sounds like a terribly unpleasant task to level up another toon in this game..

No, I will say what is missing completely, not a list that suits your needs. The major 2012 MMO features missing are LFR, LFG, combat log, no mods, no macros, no custom UI, awful stock UI, awful combat, terrible lag everywhere, useless PVP, no endgame, lackluster uninspired graphics, lackluster uninspired planets, lackluster uninspired quests, no recount.. these are just a small few of the major features which should be in the game, mind you everyone agrees (for the most part). Face it, no one wants to sit in trade and spam to look for a group. This isn't 2004 WoW.. this is supposed to be 2012 SW:TOR with 300 million dollars blah blah blah. This game is a terrible failure not for what it is (which is pretty bad, mind you), but for what it ISN'T.

Looks like we have to agree to disagree my view of this game is not the same.

My wife and I played wow (for 5 years together I tanked [prot pally] she healed [Holy priest]) now are playing this (lol opposite way around this time) and frankly we see nothing uninspiring. The lfr (ie looking for raid? is that what you mean?) system in the other game is bugged (not sure if it still is tbh, frankly haven't been near wow since we unsubbed so don't know if bugs are ironed out properly yet) and was exploited in the beginning by top raid guilds who were punished for it. Endgame is meh for us atm because of the wonderful 1-49 content we have been experiencing so far, have only one main each-- me Sith Sorcerer-- wife Sith Juggernaut-- till we reach Legacy then plan on leveling every class. Then are doing the same on Republic side.

So we are not too concerned about that yet. (a bridge to be crossed later). Pvp is getting some love i saw http://www.swtor.com/blog/new-year%E2%80%99s-pvp-update, and again not too worrisome for us till we hit cap.

We really like the emphasis in this game on leveling through content than just racing to endgame (much like all our alts on wow-as soon as we hit the right level we just bg'd and lfd till we levelled our toons).

I will put the 'lackluster/ uninspiring stuff" into one response here:-

In our eyes and our opinion (and i know beauty is in the eye of the beholder--one man's treasure is another man's junk etc etc) we simply love how in start zone as you level and go to new planets they open up and get bigger with more to see, do and explore (we love exploration and loved all of what we saw as we traveled Azeroth). We have seen nothing to suggest graphics, planets are bland in fact we often "ooh and ahh when we see new things (same as we did in wow).

We experience little to no lag (except when there are lots of players is one place), we live east coast Australia and play on a west coast U.S. server and fps/graphics is good for us (seems to get better with each patch we noticed) we are planning new computer upgrades anyway to play this game.

Our favorite quest moment (so far) which made us rofl was a side mission on Balmorra, where the npc says something like (paraphrasing here) 'you must be one of those wower's looking for a bit of scratch on the side' I think it is one where u either bet on someone running a minefield or do it yourself. Honestly can't remember where we picked it up. But made us weak (loved wow don't get me wrong we enjoyed all of our time there) So many quests/missions we have done have been certainly far from lackluster or uninspiring (again in our view and class quests are awesome) Btw we both are level 27 so just finishing our last class quests on Alderaan.

Combat is so-so but the ability issue is being addressed http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1269596#edit1269596

Combat log I would like to see- agreed UI needs some love and attention (more slots please) but atm we are making do.

Mods and macros a personal choice some like, some don't we would like to see Bioware do their own thing here rather than third party (so some helpful suggestions to them on this would be good).

Recount is not an mmo "feature" (we used it in wow) but a third party app. We used only to measure our own progress mostly.

Seeing as this is only the first few days of 2012 I don't think there is a "2012" mmo.

And I agree this is not 2004 wow. this is 2011/2012 SWTOR. (vanilla) Imagine with the bugs etc they are addressing now how much more there might be with a lot of these things added. Maybe they wanted to release a core game, stabilise it then introduce other features so as to avoid a lot more issues evolving (every game has bugs)

Sorry if this is loooonnngggg reply I tried to address your points in a logical and respectful way so you would not misunderstand my intent.

May you have much fun playing your game of choice.

Cheers :)

Edited by Aroseby

WoW took most of its features from older MMOs. Hardly revolutionary. Actually sounds a lot like Swtor.

See how that works?

Sir, WoW took the EQ model.. took what worked, and then added their own incredible and innovative features. If BioWare were smart, the would have taken what works with WoW.. and THEN some. Instead, we're left with.. well, go login...