Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

seatown

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets just agree we pushed each others buttons and put it behind us... ok?

:csw_redsaber::csw_bluesaber:

Fine.......

..... and you smell :(

Just kidding, meh, shake and make up.

Edited by Vahzl

They have answered your question about Space Combat, albeit in a vague and roundabout way, but as far as I can see, they are working on it, let them do that, and once they give us more information and show us more footage, we can then make our opinions.

<snip>

I apologise if I have been a little brash in this thread, but Galius really did manage to push my buttons. :mon_mad:

They say they are working on it, but what are they doing is the question? As I said in my post you quoted, we don't know if they are actually listening to us, their paying customers, or if they are blindly following whatever plan their executives have laid out.

I have very few problems with the 'ground' side of the game, but this is Star Wars. Space combat played a pretty major part in the movies, and to see it relegated to a single player tunnel shooter is highly disappointing. Couple that with the devs stopping off in loads of threads about other aspects of the game to answer their questions and completely ignoring the pro-free-flight space crowd really makes us wonder what they are doing.

All it would take is them popping in here and saying 'We understand your concerns. We don't know if we can put free flight space combat in TOR, but we are considering it' and this thread will visibly move from people complaining about the current space combat, to discussions about possible ideas for the future of space combat.

Even if they came in here and said 'We have thought about it, and no, we are keeping the tunnel shooter we have already', that would end a lot of arguments in here. But no, nothing at all from them.

As for your apology, no worries. This is the space combat thread. The most vocal people in here grew up wanting to be starfighter pilots more than Jedi, thanks to Star Wars, and this was "our only hope" lol. You'll find us very quick to jump and defend our own from people who come in and call us whiners. At the same time, you'll also find us very quick to forgive.

Welcome to the space combat thread. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy (apart from maybe in the 'We want combat logs' threads lol).

Welcome to the space combat thread. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy (apart from maybe in the 'We want combat logs' threads lol).

I actually find this thread to be one of the more civil threads on these forums now days.

Dear bioware, have a think about how big this thread is, then think of how happy you could make people who potentially could unsub, if you just posted something about where you see space going. If the secret project is indeed what people have been asking for, what's the harm in saying so?

Pilot forum in swg had it's "moments", but it was full of people who really knew their stuff, and one particular dev realised this. He listened to them, and they helped with improving JTL. Both sides where relatively happy, AND the pilot community knew they were being listened to.

Please start communicating.

They say they are working on it, but what are they doing is the question? As I said in my post you quoted, we don't know if they are actually listening to us, their paying customers, or if they are blindly following whatever plan their executives have laid out.

I have very few problems with the 'ground' side of the game, but this is Star Wars. Space combat played a pretty major part in the movies, and to see it relegated to a single player tunnel shooter is highly disappointing. Couple that with the devs stopping off in loads of threads about other aspects of the game to answer their questions and completely ignoring the pro-free-flight space crowd really makes us wonder what they are doing.

All it would take is them popping in here and saying 'We understand your concerns. We don't know if we can put free flight space combat in TOR, but we are considering it' and this thread will visibly move from people complaining about the current space combat, to discussions about possible ideas for the future of space combat.

Even if they came in here and said 'We have thought about it, and no, we are keeping the tunnel shooter we have already', that would end a lot of arguments in here. But no, nothing at all from them.

As for your apology, no worries. This is the space combat thread. The most vocal people in here grew up wanting to be starfighter pilots more than Jedi, thanks to Star Wars, and this was "our only hope" lol. You'll find us very quick to jump and defend our own from people who come in and call us whiners. At the same time, you'll also find us very quick to forgive.

Aye, I think it's fair to say that most people realise that anything that moves much away from the current on-rails system is going to be a big deal in terms of development time and money.

So if it was coming I think they'd have started to say stuff by now.

And I supposed from their point of view it's better to just be quiet than say "that's all folks", but still, I dunno at least people would have a better idea of what is what.

I mean I simply can't see how anyone could work on SWTOR and not want better space combat....... whether they can ever do it, is a different thing, but they must at least want it.

Aye, I think it's fair to say that most people realise that anything that moves much away from the current on-rails system is going to be a big deal in terms of development time and money.

So if it was coming I think they'd have started to say stuff by now.

And I supposed from their point of view it's better to just be quiet than say "that's all folks", but still, I dunno at least people would have a better idea of what is what.

I mean I simply can't see how anyone could work on SWTOR and not want better space combat....... whether they can ever do it, is a different thing, but they must at least want it.

They can do it.

The question is, will they?

Where is BW taking space combat in the future?

What would you like to see in space combat?

How would you like it to evolve?

- Realtime events which take place on both factions - e.g. you are on the Fleet - Sirene going off "All hands to flight deck".

- You run to a non instanced deck with several people, jump into your fighter (Battlefront 2 style)

- You are now in the cockpit, have some missiles/laser weapon of choice loaded and leave the hangar manually. Set all power to front shields while you drift through the fleet and other player ships in the area

- Jump into hyperspace to some Nav point on the galaxy map

- Jump out and right into battle

- Possibility to leave the battle to some other destination if you are damaged, for repairs and missile reload.

- Also free to travel/explore the universe and encounter random fights or accept missions for scripted PvE battles

- Possibility to buy and modify ships from small fighters to walkable gun ships, transports, up to guild fregates

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

- Realtime events which take place on both factions - e.g. you are on the Fleet - Sirene going off "All hands to flight deck".

- You run to a non instanced deck with several people, jump into your fighter (Battlefront 2 style)

- You are now in the cockpit, have some missiles/laser weapon of choice loaded and leave the hangar manually. Set all power to front shields while you drift throught the fleet and other player ships in the area

- Possibility to leave the battle to some other destination if you are damaged, for repairs and missile reload.

- Also free to travel/explore the universe and encounter random fights or accept missions for scripted PvE battles

- Possibility to buy and modify ships from small fighters to walkable gun ships, transports, up to guild fregates

Love it! All great ideas!

I especially liked the part where sirens would sound on the fleet. EPIC.

Dear bioware, have a think about how big this thread is, then think of how happy you could make people who potentially could unsub, if you just posted something about where you see space going. If the secret project is indeed what people have been asking for, what's the harm in saying so?

Pilot forum in swg had it's "moments", but it was full of people who really knew their stuff, and one particular dev realised this. He listened to them, and they helped with improving JTL. Both sides where relatively happy, AND the pilot community knew they were being listened to.

Please start communicating.

They were pretty eager to talk up about what they had regarding more rahkzombies. If they had something worth talking about regarding space combat, I'm betting they'd be hypeing it up. Unfortunately, their silence suggests they have nothing to talk about.

They were pretty eager to talk up about what they had regarding more rahkzombies. If they had something worth talking about regarding space combat, I'm betting they'd be hypeing it up. Unfortunately, their silence suggests they have nothing to talk about.

I hope you're wrong and fear you are right.

BW, throw us a bone!

Where are you taking space combat?

- You are now in the cockpit, have some missiles/laser weapon of choice loaded and leave the hangar manually. Set all power to front shields while you drift through the fleet and other player ships in the area

Yeah would be wonderful.

This link mentions space combat, but once again, he tells us next to nothing useful.

The 'whole new ways to play space combat' bit could be promising though.

Unfortunately whatever that does mean (and if I want to be cynical I could say he means playing it on an Xbox :p), he says it is "further out" which at best means 6+ months away (given he talks about 6 months) could mean years away, and of course still could mean never. :(

I think for anything major in space combat you could be waiting as long as for Elite 4.

Unfortunately whatever that does mean (and if I want to be cynical I could say he means playing it on an Xbox :p), he says it is "further out" which at best means 6+ months away (given he talks about 6 months) could mean years away, and of course still could mean never. :(

I think for anything major in space combat you could be waiting as long as for Elite 4.

I know. I'm not convinced either. But, well, so long as we keep talking about it, they have no call to say that what they have in game at the moment is good for everyone, because, by the numbers of people posting in here, it obviously isn't.

Come on Bioware, give us free flight space combat. Sooner rather than later preferably. I have friends sitting on the sidelines saying they would like to play TOR, but won't until space combat is something worthy of the name Star Wars.

Yeah would be wonderful.

You know I find myself googling for news on SW Battlefront 3 or whatever else LucasArts might plan to release in the not too distant future. I've already lost hope for TOR to come up with a totally surprising great space experience. It simply won't happen.

New space rail missions, PvP starfox in 6 months? No thanks, I hated Rebel Assault too, worst SW game ever.

I know. I'm not convinced either. But, well, so long as we keep talking about it, they have no call to say that what they have in game at the moment is good for everyone, because, by the numbers of people posting in here, it obviously isn't.

Come on Bioware, give us free flight space combat. Sooner rather than later preferably. I have friends sitting on the sidelines saying they would like to play TOR, but won't until space combat is something worthy of the name Star Wars.

Listen to us! I know you're reading this. ;)

Give us a tease.

Tell us if we have have all axis control of our ships in your secrete project for space.

Something.

Please.

:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.