Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The game is fantastic: runs like silk, is a blast to play, and is relatively buggless

Makade

I just can't take these whining posts any longer. It's not that I don't appreciate feedback, even if it is counter to my own opinion, but these posts are starting to just baffle me.

My experience thus far:

1) Have had ONE crash to desktop and I play multiple hours everyday

2) The bugs I have encountered thus far have been so innocuous that I haven't even had the motivation to report them

3) The ability delay "issue" is so minor that I have barely noticed it. In fact, I didn't notice it at all until it was pointed out on the forums.

4) The graphics, animations, particle effects, etc. are crisp and beautiful on my machine

5) I have zero lag and my fps runs anywhere from about 60-100....consistently

6) The launch was absolutely painless for me. I followed Bioware's notifications and instructions and I got into early access in the second wave. No issues whatsoever. You see, I took personal responsibility and followed instructions and it all worked out for me.

7) This has not felt like a single-player game whatsoever. I have made many new friends, have done tons of warzones, flashpoints and heroics, and the servers and zones feel alive and full of enthusiasm and energy. Btw, I've accomplished this with no LFG tools and it has been no problem whatsoever.

8) The combat is visceral and exciting. Nothing really new, but very solid.

I could go on but I won't. I agree that Bioware has got A LOT to implement in a very short time to retain players (why any company in this day and age would release a game of this magnitude with no combat log or UI customization is just jaw-dropping), but this has been one of my favorite MMO experiences thus far. The game is a masterpiece and I just cannot wait until January 21st.

Edited by Makade

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your thread title is misleading. Only This game is fantastic, and is a blast to play is true. Runs like silk is arguable to some atm (even if not by me) I believe FPS has been a issue in the current build. And bugless? Obviously not considering all the downtime we are suffering because they have to fix bugs.

I have 30+ reported bugs, there are real issues in PVP lag time and there are problems that do exist.

However, I still love this game and I'm looking forward to the fit-and-finish of the next update.

But you shouldn't be upset about a support forum filled with frustrated people looking for support or to vent.

BTW - bugs I reported in September still exist today.

One class quest for the bounty hunter, I had to do 6 times. Finally realized it was the matching up for a Sith Warrior and Bounty Hunter that caused the problem. I wasted close to 4 hours doing this one level for 2 people. So I feel people's pain.

This game is sic, but its riddled with bugs and shallow with features. I kind of feel like its still in beta. If you love the game (like I do) and want it to be the best it can, over happy-facing the situation wont help. Still thumbs up for a positive thread for once, sh*t.

Your thread title is misleading. Only This game is fantastic, and is a blast to play is true. Runs like silk is arguable to some atm (even if not by me) I believe FPS has been a issue in the current build. And bugless? Obviously not considering all the downtime we are suffering because they have to fix bugs.

Look...I can't help it if you are trying to run the game on a toaster. And yes, the game is RELATIVELY bugless, as in, compared to most launches I have been through. Of course there are a lot of bugs to squash, that has been the case for every MMO released to date and always be.

I just can't take these whining posts any longer. It's not that I don't appreciate feedback, even if it is counter to my own opinion, but these posts are starting to just baffle me.

My experience thus far:

2) The bugs I have encountered thus far have been so innocuous that I haven't even had the motivation to report them

3) The ability delay "issue" is so minor that I have barely noticed it. In fact, I didn't notice it at all until it was pointed out on the forums.

4) The graphics, animations, particle effects, etc. are crisp and beautiful on my machine

6) The launch was absolutely painless for me. I followed Bioware's notifications and instructions and I got into early access in the second wave. No issues whatsoever. You see, I took personal responsibility and followed instructions and it all worked out for me.

7) This has not felt like a single-player game whatsoever. I have made many new friends, have done tons of warzones, flashpoints and heroics, and the servers and zones feel alive and full of enthusiasm and energy. Btw, I've accomplished this with no LFG tools and it has been no problem whatsoever.

I could go on but I won't. I agree that Bioware has got A LOT to implement in a very short time to retain players (why any company in this day and age would release a game of this magnitude with no combat log or UI customization is just jaw-dropping), but this has been one of my favorite MMO experiences thus far. The game is a masterpiece and I just cannot wait until January 21st.

you not having any problems is no indication that there isn't a problem. If someone steals money from someone, and you dont care so its not a problem, does not mean stealing money is a problem.'

1.) Good, a lot of people dont crash to desk top often.

2.) You should always report bugs. The reason they never get fixed are because of people like you. That isn't something to be proud of.

3.) It because you have only played with it as delayed, so it appears normal. If we all played on a 4 second delay, we wouldn't notice the problem either till we know that..wow..this sucks.

4.) Well, since we can't use Hi-res textures, I can guesstimate that you are use to playing games on low-medium settings. DVD looks great compared to VHS..but it isn't great quality compared to what we can currently get. Again you are used to these low graphics that you dont know what good quality graphics are.

5.)It is a proven fact there are FPS problems in the game. The fact you can't notice means your argument carries no weight.

6.)What does getting EGA have to do with actual launch? Just because you were able to register ahead of time does not mean release day people had this opportunity.

7.)/8.) One can only assume this is probably your first MMO, which is why you think so. I guess in some ways thats good.

There is a huge compilation thread of actual bugs here somewhere, which affects many people. Just because they dont affect you doesn't mean everything is ok. Should be good for everyone. Its great you haven't had problems..many others are.

Edited by xRydisx

Sorry, OP, but Bioware has a policy of not offering free game time for bum kissing nor pozitive trolling.

I realize praise for the game isn't as cool on these forums but I think you can live with ONE "bum kissing" thread now can't you?

I realize praise for the game isn't as cool on these forums but I think you can live with ONE "bum kissing" thread now can't you?

Praising the game ? Yes. Praising an obviously flawed game ? No, unless you really just came out of a cave and discovered MMOs.

This game is sic, but its riddled with bugs and shallow with features. I kind of feel like its still in beta. If you love the game (like I do) and want it to be the best it can, over happy-facing the situation wont help. Still thumbs up for a positive thread for once, sh*t.

Thank you for your reply. I am all for providing feedback. I agree Bioware has tons of work to do over the next weeks and months. However, the whining on these forums might just be the least productive I have seen for any MMO (and I have played them ALL).

+1 OP, I agree completely with every one of your points and am having a similar experience to your own. Not to belittle anyone else that is having problems, I understand your frustration as I have been on that side of the MMO launch table as well. Just nice to see that I'm not the only one scratching my head when I look at all the overly-dramatic posts about this game being garbage.

My experience thus far:

I fully agree, It could be down to my PC's tec only being released in October and my new machine is running it better then most peoples but I am yet have any issues at all, apart from a couple of DC's over the last 3 weeks.

Sorry, OP, but Bioware has a policy of not offering free game time for bum kissing nor pozitive trolling.

See, this is the kind of post that's frustrating. Pointless. No actual rebuttal l of the op's statements, designed to inflame, in point, the very definition of trolling, which you claim (i'm inferring here) to be against). Now I don't pretend that the OP is In any way actually accomplishing anything here, no offence guy, but it seems to be troll bait itself, though it may very well be an attempt at countering that overabundance of crying and whining going on on these boards. But if I may suggest, it would be far more productive to ignore it all. With any luck they'll all go away. I fully realize I'm disregarding my own advice here, but sometimes, one just can not resist an injustice when it occurs in front of ones face.

+1 OP, I agree completely with every one of your points and am having a similar experience to your own. Not to belittle anyone else that is having problems, I understand your frustration as I have been on that side of the MMO launch table as well. Just nice to see that I'm not the only one scratching my head when I look at all the overly-dramatic posts about this game being garbage.

Agreed, I often wonder the same thing. Saying that out of the 30 peeps in my Guild only one had Grx issues and that was down to his very old Grx card.

Look...I can't help it if you are trying to run the game on a toaster. And yes, the game is RELATIVELY bugless, as in, compared to most launches I have been through. Of course there are a lot of bugs to squash, that has been the case for every MMO released to date and always be.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree. When I first installed the game on my old computer, which was a craptop extraordinaire but STILL had the system reqs to run the game, I hated playing. In fact, I could hardly move my character once I logged in it was so laggy. The hubby and I decided to get me a new computer for christmas, birthday and anniversary and low and behold, the game runs like a dream on it. My sweet husband even threw in a fancy new video card and some extra RAM just for good measure.

Moral of the story: People should take a good hard look at thier computer before they start blaming the game. YES indeed there are bugs, but upgrading solved most of my problems. As for the bugs reported, those are being fixed. I have to wonder if a sizable contingent of complainers currently are trying to play the game on a machine that simply cannot handle it?

Thank you for your reply. I am all for providing feedback. I agree Bioware has tons of work to do over the next weeks and months. However, the whining on these forums might just be the least productive I have seen for any MMO (and I have played them ALL).

I have never been to a forum and not seen mass amount of whining, followed by a mass amount of people complaining about the whiners.

In the end, the whiners are the ones making the game better and the people who are whining about the whiners, are making it worse.

These forums are for support and to hear these issues so they can be solved. Bug reports are the best thing a software company can receive. Especially if they are high quality bug reports. There is nothing wrong with these whiny forum users.

I have never been to a forum and not seen mass amount of whining, followed by a mass amount of people complaining about the whiners.

In the end, the whiners are the ones making the game better and the people who are whining about the whiners, are making it worse.

These forums are for support and to hear these issues so they can be solved. Bug reports are the best thing a software company can receive. Especially if they are high quality bug reports. There is nothing wrong with these whiny forum users.

Not if the whiners are moaning about issues on there end but blaming the game or Bioware.

This seems to be one of the major issues on the forums

Praising the game ? Yes. Praising an obviously flawed game ? No, unless you really just came out of a cave and discovered MMOs.

this elitist attitude is not constructive at all. What you are saying here is that ANYONE who approves of this game FLAWS AND ALL are basically simpletons who have never played any other MMO. Are you really THAT convinced in the superiority of your opinion over anyone else's that you find it acceptable to insult people? The OP didn't once insult you and even went so far as to acknowledge the bugs and issues people are experiencing.

My husband and I played wow for years, RIFT since it came out. This one is by far and away more enjoyable in our opinion.

"You not having any problems is no indication that there isn't a problem. If someone steals money from someone, and you dont care so its not a problem, does not mean stealing money is a problem."

That's a horrible analogy. I'm too tired to educate you as to why.

1.) Good, a lot of people dont crash to desk top often. Yup, and I'm one of them.

2.) You should always report bugs. The reason they never get fixed are because of people like you. That isn't something to be proud of. I never said I was proud of it. If you want to misconstrue honesty for pride, then there's nothing I can do about that. I'm simply pointing out that they are not as bad as they have been made out to be. I have been part of a ton of MMO launches and this one is pretty decent in the bug department.

3.) It because you have only played with it as delayed, so it appears normal. If we all played on a 4 second delay, we wouldn't notice the problem either till we know that..wow..this sucks. 4 second delay? You people are out of your minds. I'm not an idiot. I'd know if there was a 4 second delay.

4.) Well, since we can't use Hi-res textures, I can guesstimate that you are use to playing games on low-medium settings. DVD looks great compared to VHS..but it isn't great quality compared to what we can currently get. Again you are used to these low graphics that you dont know what good quality graphics are. I have a beast machine and play all of my MMOs on the highest settings. Grow up.

5.)It is a proven fact there are FPS problems in the game. The fact you can't notice means your argument carries no weight. No..the fact that I don't notice it is one counter-example to all of the whining...nothing more, nothing less.

6.)What does getting EGA have to do with actual launch? Just because you were able to register ahead of time does not mean release day people had this opportunity. Did you read the forums during the EGA? The EGA of the game was the launch for me. It has been a great experience.

7.)/8.) One can only assume this is probably your first MMO, which is why you think so. I guess in some ways thats good. The old "this must be your first MMO" response. Try over 10 years of MMO gaming experience. But who cares, you can't confirm any of this and I can't prove it to you. What I can say is I can appreciate all kinds of combat and I happen to like this one.

There is a huge compilation thread of actual bugs here somewhere, which affects many people. Just because they dont affect you doesn't mean everything is ok. Should be good for everyone. Its great you haven't had problems..many others are. Everyone who experiences something in the game comes to these forums and acts like it's fact. My post was never intended to read as if it's fact, but rather to point out that there are people who have had a positive experience. I know my post is boring compared to the rest of the hyperbole on these forums

Edited by Makade

My experience thus far:

You've played what, four hours? I've had multiple memory-bleed crashes. It crashes on exit unless I go to the character screen first. I've had two DX11 crashes because of bad particle/lighting effects.

No other game I play has these issues. Not Skyrim, not Fallout NV, not Crysis, not Shogun 2 with huge armies fighting, not Portal 2, not GTA IV...

In fact, the only game I've had the DX11 issue with is LOTRO when they frist implimented DX11. That lasted two weeks. Then it was done. This has been going on for three and not a peep out of BioWare acknowledging the problem or promising a fix.

And it's not a terrible DX11 bug. Just a few times. But it still means there's a problem in their engine. ONly with an asset they just don't use a lot.

So, you haven't gotten the broken companion quests. You don't play a Jedi Knight or its subclasses. You don't notice all the broken emitters that play visual hobb with the graphics. You don't play a character that uses cover and deal with the UI problems. You don't have relics and deal with the UI problems. You don't have skills that, despite your locking the skill bar, occassionally JUST DISAPPEAR... And, of course, you're not getting the infamous "skills don't fire when called" issue...

lol. Ok... So, you're oblivous... That explains a LOT about why think this game is all that and a bag of chips...

Wow. You must have a bad card. Because the emitters are broken and there are DX11 issues where the game causes the DX11 driver to crash. And don't tell me to update my drivers, everything on my computer is up-to-date and I have one of the best cards on the market (and it's over-clocked and liquid cooled). My FPS is out-the-roof, but the emitters in this game are junk.

And I'm afraid to force AA. BioWare's never been good at implementing AA and every game of theirs I've owned has always had graphics bugs.

Stories, yes... Graphics... lolz...

I have no lag. My FPS is a LOT, LOT higher at the max visual settings. But that doesn't stop all the emitter/DX11 problems. Which you deny.

So? The majority got lucky. A lot didn't. Much of it was caused by BioWare's poor instructions and really stupid implementation.

lol. Everything you do in the main story arc, you do by yourself. There is absolutely no reason to group. Even many of the heroics are soloable when you're ready to move on to the next planet.

As for the rest... All those things are shabby and shoddy compared to most quality MMOs. And I'm not even a WoW player. I've just been around the block and can see how amaturish the MMO components of this game are.

I mean, I love the class stories.... But the features you need to make an MMO a long-term home, rather than a two-week vacation, are just NOT THERE.

Have you ever played another MMO? There is NO RISK or PENALTY FOR LOSING. Even if you die in a boss fight you just respawn right there and do it again.

That alone is one of the biggest wet-blankets this game has. It makes combat almost pointless. Plus it really points out just how BAD some of the classes are... When a half-heal/half-dps spec'd Commando (a currently stupid build, I changed in the middle because I decided not to be a heal-Commando for PvP) can wipe the floor with a boss while my properly spec'd Sentinal and Guardian die...

Or, let's put it this way, when 'excitement' comes from bad class design because two of your eight characters are vastly underpowered.... In classes you've played in various MMOs for a decade... That's not a 'good' excitement. That's just bad class design.

Let's put it this way. I play all 8 Republic classes. I play them through all the same side quests. The Kight classes are both trash. The Scoundrel is pretty bad but not as bad as the Jedi Knight classes. The Gunslinger, Trooper and Consular classes are all capable classes.

How about a cookie?

talk about being narrow minded, from he sounds of it you are clearly new to the MMO world and forums.

This made me chuckle. The irony in this statement is staggering. I have my doubts that you are aware of it.

Yeah, this is General Discussion though, not Tech Support or Issue Redressment or Complaint Department or Bug Report Filing Station.

The people fixing the bugs don't read this. You couldn't pay them to read this. It's a mess. Bug reports in the game and the appropriate forums will be taken care of, but ten posts in General Discussion about X or Y is just pointless back-pattery that only makes the whiners feel better about themselves for drawing out 30 other whiners to pat them on the back and say, "YEAH! I feel that way, too!"

This is not a forum for feedback from developers. It's feedback from other players. Other players can't fix bugs that are up to the devs to handle. Stuff like Kira Carsen, ability delay, lack of neutral gear, etc., is all stuff that developers have to handle--not players. Everyone wanting bug fixes addressed here or feedback from developers here is wasting their time and keyboard life.

Put the complaints and feedback in the proper places and leave General Discussion for topics like WHO WOULD WIN IN A FIGHT DARTH REVAN OR GOKU???

(the answer is goku)

Edited by Gorgewall