High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Don't get me wrong I know it's an important issue but if that board is just filled with threads about things people want fixed and nothing actually relevant to the PTS builds it's not much use at all. Better to keep them here in general.

I don't agree with you that it's filled with similar threads, in that case those should be closed.

The fact is there were two distinct threads, one in PTS and one in general regarding this issue and they were both threads which a lot of people discussed this issue is, I'm sure many agree with me that it was a wrong move to shut down that thread.

The point is also that the PTS is right now the best place to discuss this as patch 1.1 is extremely relevant to this issue, I'm sure you know what Bioware have done to "hide" this issue in patch 1.1 and if not, then you should jump into PTS and see for yourself.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look at this screenshot, open it in it's own TAB so you see it at full resolution.

this screenshot shows a game that looks fine. and even the screenshot will have inherent degradation.

i don't see what everyone is complaining about.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m128/enginekid/Game%20Stuff/crew-management-screen-bug.jpg

Ok make another one, but close up on your char this time. And stop trolling already:mad:

right there i can see you will have graphics issues. Televisions are not made to the same specs as high end gaming computer monitors. you'll see a big improvement if you used something like this:

Dell - UltraSharp U3011 30-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

This isn't the point, I can play a game like rift and lotro and see the characters textures looking great on them, even when they were released before this. I can play a game like Skyrim with modded textures and they look great. I play this game and it looks like the textures are painted on the armors without any volume or depth. I see the comparison pictures I can easily tell a difference between them. I can tell a difference between the sharpness of the cutscenes textures and the blurry ones in game. It is not an issue with my lcd.

Edited by Caonimah

It is kinda stupid because it doesn't work. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, and did a test with both settings at the exact same spot using screenshots at full res. Absolutely no difference. I don't know why this silly "fix" keeps floating around the forums.

I would like Bioware to at least comment on this issue. And, of course, fix it.

No compatibility mode

http://i.imgur.com/RiTkM.jpg

Compatibility mode

http://i.imgur.com/ubxQI.jpg

It still has no the same quality as in the cutscenes/clicking on the comlink, but it definitively has higher quality (note the belt, also the rest of the details are not as blurry).

But I agree, it should be solved properly and not wth a quick hack.

How do zoom in close to my own character? The mouse wheel zoom goes too far with each click. On the last click it goes directly to first person perspective. There is no in-between.

On LOTRO I can use mouse wheel to zoom in as close as I want to my own face, so close it goes right inside my head basically. LOTRO's zoom is super sensitive but SWTOR is preset with each click and not sensitive at all.

I don't really know the right words to describe it.

This right here is the biggest peeve I have, its annoying.

Bottom line is, World of Warcraft has the most amazing graphics using custom settings via macro on my 35" samsung HDTV. When I play TOR, the game looks like crap, no high res and the resolution is somewhat now screwed. The screen looks stretched and for the life of me won't go from 1920x1080 to 1920x1200. This game is really crap. We did pay for the first month right? Don't bother with the second.

right there i can see you will have graphics issues. Televisions are not made to the same specs as high end gaming computer monitors. you'll see a big improvement if you used something like this:

Dell - UltraSharp U3011 30-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

a 1080p television that is LED will generally be just as good if not better than most of the monitors out there.

The monitor you posted is a super high end Dell monitor that is rediculously expensive for what you get.

My TV which is a LED LCD is better than almost any monitor you can get. Try again troll

No compatibility mode

http://i.imgur.com/RiTkM.jpg

Compatibility mode

http://i.imgur.com/ubxQI.jpg

It still has no the same quality as in the cutscenes/clicking on the comlink, but it definitively has higher quality (note the belt, also the rest of the details are not as blurry).

But I agree, it should be solved properly and not wth a quick hack.

LOL I didn't know they had "bum" as a class option

Off topic but whatever good laughs

Edited by daMarek

look at this screenshot, open it in it's own TAB so you see it at full resolution.

this screenshot shows a game that looks fine. and even the screenshot will have inherent degradation.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m128/enginekid/Game%20Stuff/crew-management-screen-bug.jpg

You are using jedi armor thats bland and completely brown, not much to improve there. Try using armor thats more intricate than that and zoom in.

roflmao, you think that looks good? wow your expectations are hugely low.

Blurriness all over. No specular, no sharpness.

I am going to assume you come from other games that also have **** low graphics, wow... lotr.... even aion lol

Bottom line is, World of Warcraft has the most amazing graphics using custom settings via macro on my 35" samsung HDTV. When I play TOR, the game looks like crap, no high res and the resolution is somewhat now screwed. The screen looks stretched and for the life of me won't go from 1920x1080 to 1920x1200. This game is really crap. We did pay for the first month right? Don't bother with the second.

Thats because 1200 is not a resolution for a TV, a 1080p TV has a resolution of !!!! X 1080 thats what makes it 1080.

If you are playing on a TV your native res should be set to whatever the manufacturer recommends in the manual.

How do zoom in close to my own character? The mouse wheel zoom goes too far with each click. On the last click it goes directly to first person perspective. There is no in-between.

On LOTRO I can use mouse wheel to zoom in as close as I want to my own face, so close it goes right inside my head basically. LOTRO's zoom is super sensitive but SWTOR is preset with each click and not sensitive at all.

I don't really know the right words to describe it.

That's because the camera is divided into six different distances based on your maximum camera distance (for whatever reason). In other words, one scroll of the mouse wheel will zoom in one-sixth of your maximum camera distance, so, unfortunately, if you want to zoom in close to your character, you have to reduce the maximum camera distance by a ridiculous amount.

I can play a game like Skyrim with modded textures and they look great. I play this game and it looks like the textures are painted on

I hate to break it to you but an MMO such as swtor is not going to even be viable if it ran graphics like Skyrim. Skyim is a single player game. If Skyrim was an MMO with hundreds of players running around your computer would probably melt.

Moderator (i know you're there), please post the following:

"Thank you for the constructive feedback throughout this thread. We are taking your concerns seriously and are looking into the issue. However, as it is the weekend, our developers are at home with their families, fishing or skiing, and quite a few actually playing SWTOR ;)

Please expect a more detailed reply first thing Monday morning"

a 1080p television that is LED will generally be just as good if not better than most of the monitors out there.

The monitor you posted is a super high end Dell monitor that is rediculously expensive for what you get.

My TV which is a LED LCD is better than almost any monitor you can get. Try again troll

A 1080p Television will not look as good as an ultra-sharp gaming computer monitor. "good" PC monitors are build to better specs then any TV. They actually have higher resolution than 1080p. You will seriously notice a marked improvement if you unplugged your TV and plugged in a Dell Ultrasharp. And you can get a 24" or 27" ultrasharp for cheap.

Put the TV back where it belongs, and pick up a nice gaming monitor.

I won't be renewing once my free month is up.

For two years, every single screenshot and video released during TOR's hype campaign used high-resolution textures on both the world and character models. It looked like a modern-day game.

Maybe once the developers implement the graphics settings used in the screenshots on the back of the game's box and all over the game's website, I'll return to play that game.

Here's hoping they aren't just giving up on high-res textures, or worse, hiding them away just so they can advertise them as a feature of the first $50 expansion.

I hate to break it to you but an MMO such as swtor is not going to even be viable if it ran graphics like Skyrim. Skyim is a single player game. If Skyrim was an MMO with hundreds of players running around your computer would probably melt.

Stop cherry picking parts of my quotes and stop white knighting very clear faults in this game with the pretense of "Its good enough".

People have provided pictures of what the game is capable of if they actually didn't compress the in game textures. I provided a picture from a game that came out in 2007 that has sharper textures than the armors in this game

Edited by Caonimah

Stop cherry picking parts of my quotes and stop white knighting very clear faults in this game with the pretense of "Its good enough".

I see, if you type something within your posts that's wrong, people are not allowed to respond to that part.

Nice system you have going. Do you work for Homeland Security by chance?

I see, if you type something within your posts that's wrong, people are not allowed to respond to that part.

I dearly wish Homeland Security would round up trolls like you and take away your internet access.

Well, that thread on the PTS forum shows that they at least know about this one and are reading it. I have faith in Bioware to fix this issue, I'm sure they understand the damage to their credit by removing the medium texture setting and changing it to be called "high" and obviously the cat's out of the bag now. I think in general if they answer the following questions here, most of us will be satisfied -

1. Please clarify the "work around" requested in the first post of this thread, including a clarification of the sentence: If you installed prior to 5:00AM CST on January 4th, 2012, your graphics will display as "Low" even if actual in-game settings are higher due to automatic preference detection. and if reinstalling the game from origin, or any other source will remedy this issue.

2. Please explain the removal of the "medium" texture setting on the PTS and its apparent promotion to being called "high" despite the fact that it still retains all of the characteristics and low quality textures of the current "medium" setting.

3. Please indicate if a fix is being worked on/implemented, and if so, when we may roughly be able to expect it.

Muddy textures are not a game breaker. You can still, as I have, have an enormous amount of fun with this game. I think we jump the gun if we say that bioware is sweeping the problem under the carpet, without an explanation, we wont know for sure if that is the case until 1.1 goes live.

That being said, this is a Triple A title, from a Triple A studio, and a Triple A publisher. We are indeed paying customers who really want noting more than an explanation. I think we all generally understand that this isn't a "snap your fingers" fix, because if it was they would have no reason to hold it back. The frustration from most reasonable people in this thread is one of lack of explanation/communication.

We can split hairs about if the issue is lighting, or if its textures (though the visual proof shows textures http://m.uploadedit.com/bac/1325903803236.gif). And we can say "Why not just settle? Its a good game," But the core of this problem is a simple one - missing high res textures, and the apparent lack of information on a fix.

Say you buy a blender at Wal-Mart, you have really been wanting this blender. You have read previews about it online, you have been watching videos about it, and have been ooggling at pictures of it. One of its prime features, often advertized is the new "Mega Frappe" button. This button helps to differentiate this blender from its competition.

Alas! When you buy the blender and fervently remove it from the box, you find that the Mega Frappe button has been pried out, and the words "Mega Frappe" have been crossed out with a magic marker. Surely you would feel like you have been just been, for lack of a better word, screwed.

Now, replace the words Blender, with SWTOR and Mega Frappe with Hi-Res Textures and I think that you will find that the frustration is indeed well placed.

I have faith in Bioware to fix this issue, but we really do need to be told what is going on.

The only one who's wrong here is YOU

So just ignore this troller.

A 1080p Television will not look as good as an ultra-sharp gaming computer monitor. "good" PC monitors are build to better specs then any TV. They actually have higher resolution than 1080p. You will seriously notice a marked improvement if you unplugged your TV and plugged in a Dell Ultrasharp. And you can get a 24" or 27" ultrasharp for cheap.

Put the TV back where it belongs, and pick up a nice gaming monitor.

Completely untrue.

Name one way that a PC monitor is better than a full array LED television? Color?...nope. Black levels?...nope. Viewing angle?...nope. Size?..nope.

Your statements would have been true a few years ago, but today they are just plain wrong.

Completely untrue.

Name one way that a PC monitor is better than a full array LED television? Color?...nope. Black levels?...nope. Viewing angle?...nope. Size?..nope.

Your statements would have been true a few years ago, but today they are just plain wrong.

Silly rafter, don't you know that trolls are always right? :rolleyes: