Xenophobia: The key to the population balance issue

AlpsStranger

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A constructive post? In this forum?

You get a bump and my support, sir.

I really believe this would be the best solution, and I try to temporarily rise above the fray to put it out there. I'm sure Bioware already has something in mind. I just want to make sure this idea is in the aether somewhere.

During my day job I'm as much of a jerk as anyone else here:D

The Empire is widely considered the more xenophobic of the two powers vying for control of the galaxy. It is not a stretch to have the near-human aliens currently populating the playable population as members of the Empire, but the more exotic races would probably face an uphill battle in Imperial service.

What I propose is that Bioware use a coincidental fact of lore as an excuse to bring population balance more in line. Once we have additional character creation options from legacy they could simply be somewhat more generous to the Republic when it comes to the more "far out" alien races. I'm not advocating being punitive towards the Empire, as they are also paying customers, but merely "showing a little more leg" to the Republic in this area. Find a way to allow Republic players to create some of the more "out there" species such as Wookiees, Ithorians, Duros and Talz and you may have a convenient key to population balance. The Empire should get some exotic options as well, of course, but perhaps letting the Republic get the long end of the cool stick on this one would help a bit.

I realize this is possibly poses a serious problem for game art. Perhaps the answer lies in the orange item system. Simply have a few sets of medium, light, and heavy orange items that have appearances on these exotic races. Perhaps if the equipment has no appearance it could simply default to being invisible ( like Bowdaar's armor, for instance. )

This is just an idea I wanted to throw out there.

This is actually a good idea.

You know why I didn't choose Republic?

Well besides lightning from my muh fuggin finger tips...

Empire here's your choices for race.

Fake Races:

Cyborg

Real races:

Pure blood Sith

Zabrak

Human

Rattataki

Twi'lek

Chiss

Republic choices

Fake Races:

Cyborgs

Green Humans

Blind Humans

Real Races:

Twi'lek

Humans

Zabrak

I count REAL races as any race with an actual change to the morph on their head or significant creation details to separate them exclusively from any other race. Simply having a wierd color skin does not make you anything more than just a wierd colored skinned human.

Take Chiss for example while they may be blue skinned humans at least they also have no pupils. Other "races" like this don't even go that far, it's just a different palette for skin tone.

Clearly Empire has more legitimate choices for race than republic yet Empire is supposed to be the Xenophobic of the two?

Cathar is one race that could have easily been done in this game and easily added to republic, as well as a few others to give republic some reason to make people want to play it. Most unfortunate they didn't.

I'm not saying this is the only reason why there are faction imbalances but for me it was an important deciding factor.

Wookie Smuggler, enough said.

Well, I will add some more to that..

I would gladly give up gear look and outward appearance of character customization to have a Wookie player.

Like I said before, they could reuse the Growls and Chirps from Bowdaar and offer some fur coloration customization.

Also body types, a fat or anemic Wookie would be funny.

Edited by Fraxture

Yes, PLEASE give us more Star Wars races. The ones we have look like cheap Star Trek aliens. Green Humans, Blue Humans, Red Humans, Humans with tinfoil on face, Humans with Blindfolds. /yawn.

Rodians, Transdoshans, Mon Cal, Duros are already in the game. All it really requires is a skin swap to make them available as player options.

What's this?? A constructive, creative post on these forums?! How dare you bismirch the sanctity of this unholy pit of trolling and douchebaggery!

Lol seriously though, this is a GREAT idea. Fits the lore really well (The persecution of non-humans on Taris was a major part of the opening chapter of KOTOR) and I really think it could do exactly what you say.

You have my support good sir, /sign and a bump.

Ewok Bountyhunters

Jawa Jedi's

I thought they don't discover Ewoks for a few thousand years?

I would love to play a Jawa, but is that within the story.

The movies prove that a Wookie is a Smuggler, Chewie.

What's to say they can't go into business for themselves.

I mean, who would double cross a Wookie, except someone with a death wish. :jawa_evil:

This is actually a good idea.

You know why I didn't choose Republic?

Well besides lightning from my muh fuggin finger tips...

Empire here's your choices for race.

Fake Races:

Cyborg

Real races:

Pure blood Sith

Zabrak

Human

Rattataki

Twi'lek

Chiss

Republic choices

Fake Races:

Cyborgs

Green Humans

Blind Humans

Real Races:

Twi'lek

Humans

Zabrak

I count REAL races as any race with an actual change to the morph on their head or significant creation details to separate them exclusively from any other race. Simply having a wierd color skin does not make you anything more than just a wierd colored skinned human.

Take Chiss for example while they may be blue skinned humans at least they also have no pupils. Other "races" like this don't even go that far, it's just a different palette for skin tone.

Clearly Empire has more legitimate choices for race than republic yet Empire is supposed to be the Xenophobic of the two?

Cathar is one race that could have easily been done in this game and easily added to republic, as well as a few others to give republic some reason to make people want to play it. Most unfortunate they didn't.

I'm not saying this is the only reason why there are faction imbalances but for me it was an important deciding factor.

The Miraluka are not a fake race. Well, fake to the extent of this being a video game, but within its bounds not fake.

Also, Force using wookies we're very rare, but still exist, this could be like a really high unlock in the legacy tree.

The problem arises when the balance swings in favour of the other side.

What then ? Do we add more races to counter balance and result in going back to balance in favour of imperial ?

It's a great idea but it has con's

Finding true balance is incredibly difficult

The Miraluka are not a fake race. Well, fake to the extent of this being a video game, but within its bounds not fake.

No one is saying that the Miraluka are fake in the sense that they did not exist in the Star Wars Universe. Hell, the Disciple was one of my favorite characters in KOTOR II. The argument is that they are simply blind humans, not really different from regular humans, therefore why make them a distinct race instead of allowing some diversity?

Sounds great to my thoroughly Empire-biased ears. As long as they respect the lore(no Wookiee Jedi, they're rare as all hell), I'd be more than happy to see the Republic get some of the cool races. The main reason I've not been able to get into any Republic toons yet is the lack of Ithorians and Mon Cals(I demand at least one exclamation of "IT'S A TWAP!" in some future content involving whichever class is allowed to be Mon Cal :D).

The best part is, as you say, they can cut a lot of corners to do it, particularly with races which plausibly wouldn't speak Basic like Wooks and Ithorians.

The problem arises when the balance swings in favour of the other side.

What then ? Do we add more races to counter balance and result in going back to balance in favour of imperial ?

It's a great idea but it has con's

Finding true balance is incredibly difficult

I think we'll cross that bridge when/if we come to it.

The Empire is widely considered the more xenophobic of the two powers vying for control of the galaxy. It is not a stretch to have the near-human aliens currently populating the playable population as members of the Empire, but the more exotic races would probably face an uphill battle in Imperial service.

What I propose is that Bioware use a coincidental fact of lore as an excuse to bring population balance more in line. Once we have additional character creation options from legacy they could simply be somewhat more generous to the Republic when it comes to the more "far out" alien races. I'm not advocating being punitive towards the Empire, as they are also paying customers, but merely "showing a little more leg" to the Republic in this area. Find a way to allow Republic players to create some of the more "out there" species such as Wookiees, Ithorians, Duros and Talz and you may have a convenient key to population balance. The Empire should get some exotic options as well, of course, but perhaps letting the Republic get the long end of the cool stick on this one would help a bit.

I realize this is possibly poses a serious problem for game art. Perhaps the answer lies in the orange item system. Simply have a few sets of medium, light, and heavy orange items that have appearances on these exotic races. Perhaps if the equipment has no appearance it could simply default to being invisible ( like Bowdaar's armor, for instance. )

I think they could fix imbalance by adding spike ( cowboy bebop) and duncan ( dragon age) as jedi voices.

Have you heard the voices for male jedi? all the same all races no variety, very passive and timid voices.

If they added spike and duncan as jedi voices, we may have a new imbalance of population leaning in favor of republic, within a week

Edited by Khoranth

well... all i can say is that

the ONE time the empire has a chance of redeeming itself by getting alien races into it and getting rid of corruption, you, the player, go and have to kill the one guy who is trying to achieve this. Darth Malgus on "The False Emperor" flashpoint.

why the hell wasn't there a option to actually JOIN HIM and for real? specially for me as bounty hunter, i would have joined him and we would have ruled the galaxy!

well... all i can say is that

the ONE time the empire has a chance of redeeming itself by getting alien races into it and getting rid of corruption, you, the player, go and have to kill the one guy who is trying to achieve this. Darth Malgus on "The False Emperor" flashpoint.

why the hell wasn't there a option to actually JOIN HIM and for real? specially for me as bounty hunter, i would have joined him and we would have ruled the galaxy!

In setting maybe, but this is more about looking for an excuse to make Republic a little more appealing.

Great post, love it, and you are spot on. I hope it is implemented.

Republic is definitely hurting.

Black Vulkars is extremely Empire dominated. It is a PvP server and I have gone from level 1 to 31 (in Alderaan currently) and I have yet to see a Republic player.

I have yet to see one. Not a single one. I love PvP so I am definitely TRYING to go out and find them and battle.

But I have yet to see one. The imbalance is ridiculous.

Great post, love it, and you are spot on. I hope it is implemented.

Republic is definitely hurting.

Black Vulkars is extremely Empire dominated. It is a PvP server and I have gone from level 1 to 31 (in Alderaan currently) and I have yet to see a Republic player.

I have yet to see one. Not a single one. I love PvP so I am definitely TRYING to go out and find them and battle.

But I have yet to see one. The imbalance is ridiculous.

I'll be brutally honest here, me and my friends ended up on a PvE server over this issue. We all play Republic and were stuck on a server where most republic zones stayed in the mid single digits even during peak hours. I regularly saw populations on republic fleet lower than 20 and was routinely the only Republic player on Ilum. It may have just been a bad few days, but a few of us got so tired of it we moved.

The server we were playing on was Vulkar Highway in case anyone cares. I'd rather keep my current server private so that forum issues don't find their way into the game.

Looking the title I was sure this was going to be so trolly post.

But no this is a crazy good idea. Provided the Empire still got new races too. Sadly they would have to be the Human with a new coat of paint aliens but they can not be left out.

Maybe to keep new races from causing a mass exodus to the Republic said Empire could get Droids as playable race.

I'll be brutally honest here, me and my friends ended up on a PvE server over this issue. We all play Republic and were stuck on a server where most republic zones stayed in the mid single digits even during peak hours. I regularly saw populations on republic fleet lower than 20 and was routinely the only Republic player on Ilum. It may have just been a bad few days, but a few of us got so tired of it we moved.

The server we were playing on was Vulkar Highway in case anyone cares. I'd rather keep my current server private so that forum issues don't find their way into the game.

It will be interesting to see what is done. But there is obviously an imbalance.

It would have been nice if there was a "cap" on PvP servers.

Basically, each server could make, say, 3,000 characters (1,500 per side). Once the 1,500 is reached, that faction is locked until the other faction is within say, 200. Then the cap jumps the same amount to 1,700, and so on.

No idea if that would work or how the community would accept it. But something needs to be done, especially for PvP servers.

A good 50/50 split on PvP servers is essential in order to have a healthy world PvP environment.

Great idea OP, I hope that it or something like it is implemented.

Also I agree with the general consensus that the reason for the population being wildly imbalanced on most servers are the races. I will even go so far as to say the classes might also have something to do with it.

Take for example the Sage vs. Sorcerer. The Sorcerer gets to electrocute people with Force Lightning and look completely ****** while doing it. The Sage... gets to throw rocks at people and wear funny hats. Or there is the Trooper vs. Bounty Hunter. Sure, guys in heavy armor wielding big guns look pretty cool... but I mean come on, who doesn't want to be a Bounty Hunter? I can shoot people with a big gun as a Trooper... or I can shoot people with arm-mounted missiles and fly up into the air to rain death upon my enemies as a Bounty Hunter.

Add to that the fact that Republic races are, for the most part, just plain and boring... and you have yourself a definite problem. What I don't understand is that Bioware knew a long time ago that Empire was going to be heavily favored and they still didn't do anything to make the Republic more attractive. Oh well.