Trauma - Reasoning?

Saerol

What is the thought process behind the Trauma debuff being in the game?

I really don't see any logic behind it other than to further encourage players to run DPS specs in PvP than the current game already does.

A 30% healing debuff to anyone engaged in, or recently engaged in PvP combat reduces healing to an effort in futility against even one semi-competent opponent. Interrupts are in the game for a reason, even if only 10% of the playerbase uses them intelligently.

I've been a healer in almost every MMO I've played for the last 10+ years (starting with DAoC when it first launched) and I've yet to see anything as carelessly designed as Trauma in it's current form. Healers have and probably always will be a thankless job, both in PvE and PvP. For most people it's just not an enjoyable role to play, and I can understand that, in this game however, it's quickly becoming very difficult to enjoy.

I'm not going to get in to imbalances between the three healing skill trees, because that is another issue that needs to be addressed separately. I will say however, that I play an Operative with currently just under 450 expertise (9.35%) and seeing my biggest heal crit (with trinkets) for less than one attack from an equally geared opponent is a complete joke, when you consider the energy mechanic I am limited by, casting times, interrupts and ratio of damage dealing players versus healers.

Before the trolls arrive and tell me to switch to concealment and enjoy the faceroll - I've already done that, I had my fun with fun with it.

I'm not expecting a dev response, despite the recent "blog" post about upcoming PvP changes, I have yet to see a dev post on this forum since launch. I am hoping someone out there can explain "what they were smoking" when they decided to implement this Trauma system.

they added trama to make sure people were not bombing 7k heals in pvp which you can do with hard mode pve gear.

With out trama you would have to scale dps skills up and heals down and it would turn into a dev nightmare to balance heal power in pvp and pve.

Other MMO's do it too they jsut make it skilled abilities pretty much every wow dps class has a heal debuff now, and when you grab a flag in wow you get a heal debuff.

Instead of adding filler skills to crowd your tool bar they jstu apply it from the start, and it only effects you in combat if break combat and the person your healing up is not in combat there is no 30% debuff

To balance out heals between PVE and PVP.

Except it's not balanced. One crit attack from any equally geared damage dealer is more damage dealt than a crit heal because of this debuff.

I can backstab someone for 4000, or heal an ally for 2800. Which one is more effective in 90% of situations?

Except it's not balanced. One crit attack from any equally geared damage dealer is more damage dealt than a crit heal because of this debuff.

I can backstab someone for 4000, or heal an ally for 2800. Which one is more effective in 90% of situations?

You shouldn't even be able to heal anywhere near that much, and do that kind of damage. OP ops/sorcs/mercs.

Healers get an advantage from expertise that no other archetype receives. If dps with 400 expertise hits someone with 400 expertise there is no net increase or decrease in damage. A healer however, always benefits from expertise as it's increased heal is not mitigated. Without trauma healers in pvp would be healing for 6-7K.

No DPS can solo kill a competent and geared healer as is right now, I really hate to think how it would be without that debuff O.o

they added trama to make sure people were not bombing 7k heals in pvp which you can do with hard mode pve gear.

With out trama you would have to scale dps skills up and heals down and it would turn into a dev nightmare to balance heal power in pvp and pve.

Other MMO's do it too they jsut make it skilled abilities pretty much every wow dps class has a heal debuff now, and when you grab a flag in wow you get a heal debuff.

Instead of adding filler skills to crowd your tool bar they jstu apply it from the start, and it only effects you in combat if break combat and the person your healing up is not in combat there is no 30% debuff

So they've more or less made it so that DPS can worry about one less thing, while healers are more likely to be effective by being out of combat health batteries for those too dumb to use their "Rest" abilities when they are out of combat. Again, this goes back to discouraging healing roles instead of actually addressing the issue.

If a healer in hard mode PvE gear can crit heal for 7k, great, he's going to drop a lot faster than a PvP geared healer to make up for it.

So you think it would be balanced if you could backstab for 4k AND heal for 4k?

I think not.

Backstab as Concealment for 4k, or Heal for 4k as Medicine. If you try healing as any spec but Medicine, good luck to you, Kolto Injection is a 2.5 second cast for 1500 healing.

Backstab was probably a poor example, so I'll use Maul for Assassins instead. My assassin alt (currently level 40) frequently crits with Maul for 4000+ on targets that are not level 50 or have very little expertise (using this for the equally geared point, since my Assassin has no expertise), and it is applied instantly, cannot be interrupted, and skill tree and proc permitting can be used 2-4 times in a row.

Edited by Saerol

I think it's comical that in other similar PVP games people do nothing but cry for a blanket healing debuff, even the WoW Devs had considered it, yet people here are pissing and moaning about it.

The issue is that as Expertise increases, so increases the effectiveness of heals. I plan to reserve judgement until the majority of the population is 50 and fully geared, before I begin complaining about it, if necessary.

I also feel that other games have allowed healers "god mode" status for so long that people who play healers will whine if they don't get it.

And yes, this is coming from a healer.

As someone who is leveling mainly through Warzones as a healer, I feel that I can contribute. The only issues I have are when I am healing someone with many people on them, or if I am being targeted and don't get peels; but that seems balanced to me.

Backstab as Concealment for 4k, or Heal for 4k as Medicine. If you try healing as any spec but Medicine, good luck to you, Kolto Injection is a 2.5 second cast for 1500 healing.

Backstab was probably a poor example, so I'll use Maul for Assassins instead. My assassin alt (currently level 40) frequently crits with Maul for 4000+ on targets that are not level 50 or have very little expertise (using this for the equally geared point, since my Assassin has no expertise), and it is applied instantly, cannot be interrupted, and skill tree and proc permitting can be used 2-4 times in a row.

4k frequently and 2-4 times in a row !!! 4k are not frequent!! after the first one they should turn around so you cant do it again, you would be lucky to get 3 in even if you stunned them first and they didnt have there cc break up.

You must have some super assassin lol or my skill points are all in the wrong tree lol

I think it's comical that in other similar PVP games people do nothing but cry for a blanket healing debuff, even the WoW Devs had considered it, yet people here are pissing and moaning about it.

The issue is that as Expertise increases, so increases the effectiveness of heals. I plan to reserve judgement until the majority of the population is 50 and fully geared, before I begin complaining about it, if necessary.

I also feel that other games have allowed healers "god mode" status for so long that people who play healers will whine if they don't get it.

And yes, this is coming from a healer.

As someone who is leveling mainly through Warzones as a healer, I feel that I can contribute. The only issues I have are when I am healing someone with many people on them, or if I am being targeted and don't get peels; but that seems balanced to me.

Heals can contribute, I'm not disputing that. The problem is how much they can contribute when played properly is laughable when compared to damage dealers. In an 8v8 Warzone, you're lucky to find one healer on each team, and the difference between a good healer and a bad healer can be quickly apparent. However, a team with 6 damage dealers and 2 healers can easily lose to an opposing team with 8 damage dealers. Why? Because damage far outweighs healing right now.

4k frequently and 2-4 times in a row !!! 4k are not frequent!! after the first one they should turn around so you cant do it again, you would be lucky to get 3 in even if you stunned them first and they didnt have there cc break up.

You must have some super assassin lol or my skill points are all in the wrong tree lol

How often do you see someone turn around to prevent being backstabbed outside of a 1v1 situation? Not often. I'd wager either your gearing choices or skill points are in the wrong place if you can't break 4k with a Maul crit on a non-50 target, either that or you are sub level 20 and don't even have Induction for the bonus 30% crit damage on Maul.

I think the bottom line is that without such a debuff, everyone would roll heals and no one would ever die. Healing is far too powerful as it is.

People want to see kills, man. That's kinda the point of pvp.

Have you ever played another MMO? Pushing 3 buttons to kill someone gets old after a while. That's why most other MMOs have moved away from the 30 second life expectancy kill fests that they once were.

No LEVEL 50 DPS can solo kill a competent and geared LEVEL 50 healer as is right now, I really hate to think how it would be without that debuff O.o

Fixt that for you. But as of right now until they change it, there's not an even playing field.

Edited by Maglen

Heals can contribute, I'm not disputing that. The problem is how much they can contribute when played properly is laughable when compared to damage dealers. In an 8v8 Warzone, you're lucky to find one healer on each team, and the difference between a good healer and a bad healer can be quickly apparent. However, a team with 6 damage dealers and 2 healers can easily lose to an opposing team with 8 damage dealers. Why? Because damage far outweighs healing right now.

Personally, I feel there are many factors effecting why we see so few healers in Warzones, some of my top gripes:

1) Every class has some (if not many) forms of interrupts, knockbacks, silences, stuns, etc so trying to get a cast off is a huge pain in the *** most of the time.

2) The LOS in this game is horrific. Sure, it's great if I need to LOS to heal, but chasing a Huttball carrier around trying to heal between all the obstacles is a nightmare.

3) Raid Frames and Nameplates are a mess. Trying to select a player in a group sucks and often times the raid frames don't reflect proper health values.

4) Lack of macros. I feel this screws healers pretty hard in this game in particular because the amount of keybinds is way higher for me to properly bind all my heals, all of my DPS abilities, Throw Huttball, etc. At least in WoW I could use help/harm macros to cut down on this.

5) DPS bias for medals and MVP votes.

I think the bottom line is that without such a debuff, everyone would roll heals and no one would ever die. Healing is far too powerful as it is.

People want to see kills, man. That's kinda the point of pvp.

Kills through focus - not kills through lack of the ability to heal.

Its awesome being able to freecast and NOT be able to keep a 50 (not geared) up from a geared 50. (Im not geared yet either... ****** rng here..)

Thats my complaint. The debuff should be there for GEARED players, but atm Im critting 2800 on a good day w/ 75 expertise. Where as dps are doing 3k+ consistantly vs myself and guildies.

That and us healers should have a few more medals, I love my 2-3 medals/game.