Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Server population is dropping...

Miffy

i have been crazy worried about this too, so ive been keeping track of server pops by recording the number of light and heavy servers every night at 8pm~ for 2 weeks.

its about the same every night, with weekends showing slightly heavier (less light more heavy). the pop has been VERY stable

EDIT: should also prolly mention the numbers, lol, there mostly standard with 8-12 light and 8-12 at heavy, on the weekends there is sometimes a very heavy or two as well.

Edited by RobHouse

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started on The Kumumgah and looking at it now, it only seems 'Standard' and it does feel quite empty at times. 40 people in Coruscant? Really? Eh, I'm only level 16, but I'm starting to wonder if I should have rolled on a different server - one with a Very Heavy population? Although I feel bad considering I'm already this far. :confused:

Aren't HEROICS repeatable? Aren't HEROIC 4's doable with 3 people and a companion. Aren't HEROIC 2's doable with two people and two companions, or sometimes even one person and their companion? The chances of all 23 other people having done whatever the quest was is a longshot. Most of the time people either won't group up like in this example, or there isn't enough spots for all the people who respond to lfg calls. Don't stick up for anti-social mmo players

Not many people want to repeat HEROICS while leveling up. As for doing them with less than needed, it's not actually possible without out-leveling them once you hit Nar Shadda.

The problem exists, no matter how much you wish to believe it's just a massive case of people being anti-social.

Aren't HEROICS repeatable? Aren't HEROIC 4's doable with 3 people and a companion. Aren't HEROIC 2's doable with two people and two companions, or sometimes even one person and their companion? The chances of all 23 other people having done whatever the quest was is a longshot. Most of the time people either won't group up like in this example, or there isn't enough spots for all the people who respond to lfg calls. Don't stick up for anti-social mmo players

Maybe you like doing the same crap twenty times a day. Normal people don't.

And don't give me that "anti-social" crap when we're talking about a game specifically designed to be 90% solo.

Any one else noticed that the servers were all full during peak times the other week and now all the full ones are now only heavy or very heavy. Lots are just standard now and you log on to them to see what the populations are like and you'll get like 20 people in a zone compared to around 80 in the very heavy ones.

Bioware needs to start merging servers before they make the mistake every other developer has done with mmorpgs ever since WoW. If you're part of an unpopulated server you're more likely to quit because you cannot find the people to play with.

It's not a doomsday thread but Bioware need to get on top of the population decline before the servers get too underpopulated and people quit.

Our server initially was listed as full during peak (with queues) and had between 50 and 90 in most zones. Now it's listed as heavy during peak (no more queues) and typically has 120 to 150+ in most zones during peak, where there's occasional competition for quest mobs and groups form in chat constantly. It's only a solo environment for the player who chooses it to be, at least on our server. There's plenty going on where we are. I think the full/heavy/standard designations are adjustable thresholds. Friends came over from WoW and created toons on our server when it was designated as full. So full could mean 100 or 100,000 depending on their settings.

Another good measure of server activity is the GTN. If it's bare or the same names dominate item listings most of the time then it's probably a low pop server. All of my toons with a lvl 25 STAP had the 40Kcr for it before they were lvl 20 because of crafting and BoE sales on the GTN.

<EDIT> Mask of Nihilus server fyi. Numbers are about the same for both sides.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Maybe you like doing the same crap twenty times a day. Normal people don't.

And don't give me that "anti-social" crap when we're talking about a game specifically designed to be 90% solo.

I grouped more in this MMO than anything since EQ1. With all the heroics and flashpoints it wasn't an issue.

i have seen heavy-full servers become standard AND some non-heavy-full servers become heavy/full.

not to mention that 'population' is not something you encounter in this game even if your server HAS A QUEUE.

instances are maxed at 100 people per big zone. it is the DESIGN, and it should be as it is. else, not only the storyline immersion fails due to 100 people sitting/running naked and doing other odd things in senate gardens, but also 10 people trying to cram the same limited respawn quest items in same zones.

regardless of how crowded your server is, you will only have 100 people in ANY given zone, now and into the future.

this is not wow so that 14 year olds can run 'nekkid nekkid nekkid' with their night elf huntards (i was one of them despite i was not 14 years old at that time) among 100 people cramming in stormwind square.

been there, done that, its NOT something good.

so, what was your point ?

Any one else noticed that the servers were all full during peak times the other week and now all the full ones are now only heavy or very heavy. Lots are just standard now and you log on to them to see what the populations are like and you'll get like 20 people in a zone compared to around 80 in the very heavy ones.

Bioware needs to start merging servers before they make the mistake every other developer has done with mmorpgs ever since WoW. If you're part of an unpopulated server you're more likely to quit because you cannot find the people to play with.

It's not a doomsday thread but Bioware need to get on top of the population decline before the servers get too underpopulated and people quit.

doesn't look to bad to me now.. almost all EU servers are very heavy and there are only a few light load servers @ the server status page.

Leveling a new toon today there were 200 in imp fleet, and 108 on DK I don't notice a drop in population on my server.

I think there's just a portion of the population hoping the same will fail

at anyrate, with billing going out maybe it will eliminate alot of the qq on forums so we can get real issues taken care of.

Edited by Shammus

considering it dropped from quite a few "heavy" servers to.. 1? RIGHT after the last patch

and the fact holidays are over, people are back at school, work etc I think we lost some where in the range of 5%~ of the population due to ragequit.

but other than that.. just look at WoW.. for the first 3? years the population was going steadly up but the queues of the first few months never came back.

Are you really that dumb? They announced right after release that they were going to fix the issue with the servers always being full. Dumb is as dumb does, I guess...

Edited by Draeb

I hardly bothered doing any group quests on my IA but since I got him to 50 I've played JK. Just left Tatooine and there were a couple of heroic 4s that I couldn't find groups for.

Apart from that I've done every single quest/heroic/flashpoint on my way so far on the "less populated" faction.

We'll see how it goes from now but I've not really had any issues.

There was a que last night on The Harbinger. I think there were about 80-85 people in front of me in the que when I tried to log in. I normally play during off-peak times so not sure if they've been having que's recently. This same server had about 2 hour wait during peak times when the game launched. However, I still see just about the same amount of people on planets. So whether the server is full, heavy, standard, etc. is relative to the server capacity and since they've indicated they were increasing those caps, it's hard to say how much population has dropped with those relative terms being used.

The problem is that there is a huge imbalance in server populations. I have all my Imp toons on Soresu and that has much less traffic than The Harbinger. At the same time this morning, 20-25 on the Imp fleet on Soresu and 125 on the Repub fleet on The Harbinger. Playing on a higher pop server vs. a lower pop server is a completely different experience as far as finding groups for heroics, flashpoints, etc.

Assumption is the mother of all mistakes.

There are always 200+ people on the fleet before midnight, I usually see over 100 on most planets, and I make about 500k a day on the AH. My server is doing just fine. There were even a hundred people on VOSS earlier today. There are currently 53 on ilum, only two of them bots.

Crevasse City squatting on 12 people on the fleet at 7PM.

All planets have 5 or less people, except Belsavis. It had 9 earlier.

Yeah, our server is fine.

Republic?

Are there actually under a hundred republic players on your entire server? I have a hard time believing that.

Republic?

Are there actually under a hundred republic players on your entire server? I have a hard time believing that.

This is Empire side. That's what makes it even more mind boggling.

Right now (7:43pm), on Crevasse City , East PVE server, there are 8 people on Corellia, and 17 on the Fleet

http://i.imgur.com/8tiIP.jpg

Edited by Daltin

This is Empire side. That's what makes it even more mind boggling.

Right now (7:43pm), on Crevasse City , East PVE server, there are 8 people on Corellia, and 17 on the Fleet

http://i.imgur.com/8tiIP.jpg

Seems like your server is one of the few where there are more reps than imperials. Still the total population doesn't look like it's more than 1000 on both sides after a quick /who. I guess it's barely enough for the standard tag.