Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Server population is dropping...

Miffy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

without reading the posts I wanted to state I think a true MMO should have less servers.

I don't care the technical reasoning behind why there are so many. I want the practical reasoning behind why less servers in an MMO makes more sense.

It's a Massive Multiplayer Game, not a massive server list game.

Sort of fail imo - but $'s pay the bills and I'm sure they're making money so what do I know.

I myself wonder if I would of renewed after a month if I had not prepurchased the game time card.

My family moved from WoW to this game because the individuals who populated our servers turned pretty horrible. At first I liked the fact there were fewer people on the TOR servers, but now I am concerned (even as an individual that loves single player and generally dislikes the MMORG forced grouping aspects).

It does feel a bit too empty (we are on the RPG server Kath Hound). So I do hope Bioware merges some servers and allows people to move characters from low population servers to higher density ones.

Overall, the experience (up to level 26) has been phenomenal and fun.

Kinda annoying, I was busy replying on 1 poster, then I noticed the thread got closed and I got redirected to here. Anyway, since I was busy answering:

Its still a concern though.

MY server, dune bantha, has right at primetime 10 pm saturday evening a whooping 51 people on the fleet and 4 people on ilum, yet of some reason is not even flagged as light.

Republic even less, 37 people on fleet.

With these numbers on a saturday evening surely you can see how it is on weekdays or god forbid outside of peak hours.

The trend is going down also, 2 weeks ago there were more people on the fleet.

You think its fair then when people come into these threads, completey ignore there might be an issue and instead do their very best to downplay it?

BW themselves suggested to not take full servers back at launch and now i and many other people are SOL. (

I checked your server.

It has 1000-1100 players online at peak times, republic to empire is pretty much 1 to 1 ration, kinda evenly divided. Now, that figure would make your server a healthy server in other MMO's, and would indicate a medium to high population in those MMO's.

However, compared with other SWTOR servers, yours is on the smaller side, with examples like a Red Eclipse server that has 3000 players online at the same time, or a Tomb of Freedom Nadd with 3500 players logged in, or a Trask Ulgo server with 2200-2300 players.

Yes my server is so bad it is unplayable for PVP. At PRIMETIME on a saturday we get Huttball matches that last 2 mins because it forms us 4 vs 6-7. Can we please transfer or get a merge with another low pop server. I have yet to see over 45 lvl 50s online. I can't imagine what the Republics due. We are desperate over here....Tott Doneeta EU PVP

That doesn't explain the empty feeling you have while levelling. Many planets have tiny populations now :(

I think it has also something to do with the size of SWTOR. Look at it this way, Rift's entire world is the size of a Northrend or Outland continent, less than half of Kalimdor or EK. In SWTOR, the largest planets already are each close in size to Rift's entire world, and then there are 17 planets.

If you have 800-1000 people in a world as tiny as Rift, or you have 2000-2500 people in a world with planets that are that size separately and the complete world of SWTOR with all the planets together many, many times larger than Rift and even LotrO - even if the server population is smaller, bc the world is a lot smaller too, it doesn't feel as empty, bc those 800-1000 people are all on the same world, and not like in SWTOR spread out over 17 planets, with the result that there are only 100-200 people on each world.

I think it has also something to do with the size of SWTOR. Look at it this way, Rift's entire world is the size of a Northrend or Outland continent, less than half of Kalimdor or EK. In SWTOR, the largest planets already are each close in size to Rift's entire world, and then there are 17 planets.

If you have 800-1000 people in a world as tiny as Rift, or you have 2000-2500 people in a world with planets that are that size separately and the complete world of SWTOR with all the planets together many, many times larger than Rift and even LotrO - even if the server population is smaller, bc the world is a lot smaller too, it doesn't feel as empty, bc those 800-1000 people are all on the same world, and not like in SWTOR spread out over 17 planets, with the result that there are only 100-200 people on each world.

I wish I cared about seeing people around, I do care about PVP on a PVP Server. No que's for extended periods of time during peak hours. Ilum is a joke there has not been anything there the entire month of game. I think I have ran into 5 Repubs. I joined the server near launch and it said standard, wish I could switch my server or merge

This game is heading for the bin as long as there are whining bonehead rejects from WOW constantly slagging this game and trying to make it like THAT game. They hop around MMO to MMO like locusts.

What made you 'hop' here?

Paying customers with opinions and complaints...sounds like civilization to me.

Your statement is TROLL

Having gone through much of this thread, I see that many of the people who deny that there are problems with server populations cite the in game indications (Light, Standard, etc.), along with insisting that, at primetime, no servers have problems. Okay. Personally, I'd like to dispense some choice words in your direction about what ridiculous arguments these are, but, instead, I'm going to see if I can't enlighten you a little.

I play on Imperial on The Courageous. Right now, it is 7:40ish, EST on a Saturday evening. I think we can all agree that this is going to be one of the busier times, if not the busiest, a server is going to be on any given week. Let me give you some stats.

First, let's look up how many people are on Fleet, which seems to have become the common benchmark: 28

Now, Dromund Kass. For you rebels to be, that's the equivalent of Coruscant, so we're talking people in their early teens: 60

Not terrible. How does that progress? Balmorra. Again, future rebels, that's the equivalent of Taris, so we're talking late teens, early twenties: 28

It just gets worse, but lets keep going. Nar Shaddaa: 23

Tatooine: 21

Alderaan: 23

Taris (late thirties): 13

Hoth: 9

I don't need to keep going, do I? Oh, by the way, The Courageous? Right now, it's listed as Standard. Look at those numbers again. That's Standard. Now, look at the server list again. How many Standards do you see? Yeah. Bioware needs to bite the bullet here and consolidate some servers.

Edited by XLauncher

20 on the republic fleet of Telos Restoration Project.

My guild is literally carrying the entire 50s queue for republic side during peak hours, we have most of the 50s online at any given time and usually end up playing huttball against each other for a few hours. Its pretty bad.

Any one else noticed that the servers were all full during peak times the other week and now all the full ones are now only heavy or very heavy.

One they've expanded server limits. Two gameplay always slows down over the initial rush when everyone has to play every day for the first few weeks or months. This isn't anything new.

And yes there are people who have left he game also.

I got lucky my time is up on Sunday, I canceled and it says i have 0 play time left LOL. Sat at 4:30 and population on some planets is around 25, I mean really 25 on the whole planet. Last night I was on the pvp planet and its count was 9 people. I found one of those a level 12 camping a chest, lest say at least 1 more on the planet was camping. That leave the planet to me and 6 others.

Good job this was a great way to waste 200 mil on a game, maybe your stock prices dropping from like 28 to 22 is news that you have no clue how to run a game.

Electronic Arts stock drops because of SWTOR fumbles

stock appears to be in a bit of trouble following Star Wars: The Old Republic's launch. The company's shares fell by almost 3% to $17.75 US this morning after a stock analyst working with Brean Murray Carret & Co. "cut his price target on the stock to $22 [uS] from $28 [uS]." In a note to his clients, analyst Todd Mitchell wrote that he felt some "creeping concerns" regarding The Old Republic's performance so far; he added that "initial sales appear to be below expectations, and casual observation of early play is causing us to rethink our churn assumptions." Now we just get to sit back with some popcorn and see whether BioWare can get its business together in time to make a recovery, so take a seat.

Having gone through much of this thread, I see that many of the people who deny that there are problems with server populations cite the in game indications (Light, Standard, etc.), along with insisting that, at primetime, no servers have problems. Okay. Personally, I'd like to dispense some choice words in your direction about what ridiculous arguments these are, but, instead, I'm going to see if I can't enlighten you a little.

I play on Imperial on The Courageous. Right now, it is 7:40ish, EST on a Saturday evening. I think we can all agree that this is going to be one of the busier times, if not the busiest, a server is going to be on any given week. Let me give you some stats.

First, let's look up how many people are on Fleet, which seems to have become the common benchmark: 28

Now, Dromund Kass. For you rebels to be, that's the equivalent of Coruscant, so we're talking people in their early teens: 60

Not terrible. How does that progress? Balmorra. Again, future rebels, that's the equivalent of Taris, so we're talking late teens, early twenties: 28

I don't need to keep going, do I? Oh, by the way, The Courageous? Right now, it's listed as Standard. Look at those numbers again. That's Standard. Now, look at the server list again. How many Standards do you see? Yeah. Bioware needs to bite the bullet here and consolidate some servers.

HOW DARE YOU BACK UP YOUR ARGUMENT WITH LOGIC AND NUMBERS !@$!$%#@$^ RAGGGGE!!!

Don't make me beat you with my fanboy bat.

This is the best most popular game ever!!!

Wait, so you just posted about 15% of the numbers on your server. Can you please explain how those numbers are bad in any way? Go ahead, I am listening.

Wait, so you just posted about 15% of the numbers on your server. Can you please explain how those numbers are bad in any way? Go ahead, I am listening.

If there are people on a server, the planets I listed are the places you're going to find them. Do you suppose that there's 100 people in the X-70B Phantom?

How, exactly is that 15% of the population? Those planets are where a good chunk are, and if you go planet by planet, add them all up, that's 85% of your population, as you have a few warzones going and people in ships. The servers are dying out slowly, just look at the list, and don't give me the non sense of holiday is over, they raised the caps, blah blah blah, it's 8pm EST on a Saturday and the fleet has just over 100 people empire side. I can go onto my WoW server right now and I'd probably have a hell of a lot of people clogging up the screen, and probably couldn't find a mailbox if I tried.

If there are people on a server, the planets I listed are the places you're going to find them. Do you suppose that there's 100 people in the X-70B Phantom?

It doesn't have to be 100. Even 5 people per ship, 25 people per planet + space + flashpoints. It all adds up. You do know how mathematics work? Cause judging by your posts, I don't think you do.

I think I smell something.

I too, am on a standard server, Ven Zallow, on the republic side in Corsucant with 114 people running around, there are over 100 on fleet. Just checked Rakata Mind Prison Imperial side, also standard server, with 214 people on fleet, and thats a west coast server so I'm not buying your stats.