Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Server population is dropping...

Miffy

Any one else noticed that the servers were all full during peak times the other week and now all the full ones are now only heavy or very heavy. Lots are just standard now and you log on to them to see what the populations are like and you'll get like 20 people in a zone compared to around 80 in the very heavy ones.

Bioware needs to start merging servers before they make the mistake every other developer has done with mmorpgs ever since WoW. If you're part of an unpopulated server you're more likely to quit because you cannot find the people to play with.

It's not a doomsday thread but Bioware need to get on top of the population decline before the servers get too underpopulated and people quit.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People will leave the game. With the start of the regular work week, I have not had as much time to play as during the holiday season. I would wait and see how it all ends up after another month or so. Then we will know for sure how many left.

Any one else noticed that the servers were all full during peak times the other week and now all the full ones are now only heavy or very heavy. Lots are just standard now and you log on to them to see what the populations are like and you'll get like 20 people in a zone compared to around 80 in the very heavy ones.

Bioware needs to start merging servers before they make the mistake every other developer has done with mmorpgs ever since WoW. If you're part of an unpopulated server you're more likely to quit because you cannot find the people to play with.

It's not a doomsday thread but Bioware need to get on top of the population decline before the servers get too underpopulated and people quit.

OR, perhaps they addressed the server issues allowing for higher caps which we are not hitting.

This is what USUALLY happens this early in the game.

Because a few weeks ago was Holidays, and now its work/school/college

I know i find myself with less time to play because I'm back in college. doesn't mean ive left or that im no longer gonna subscribe, it just means that you need to learn the peak times for your server.

Simples.

I almost started this exact same thread!

This is actually pretty scary to be honest. The word of mouth is powerful and EA/Biowares are in for a hard lesson it would appear!

/sad

It's called the holidays are over and people are going back to work/school

First they scream about queues and now they scream because they can actually get in with queues.

I never have any issues finding groups and when I do a "who" I get the 100 cap on Darth Malek.

Or it could just be the Christmas Holidays have ended and people are returning to work and "normality" thus reducing the time available to play? I know I have returned to work and my gaming time is reduced in the evenings.

Happens during launch of every game. This is why I was never overly concerned about the queues early on.

yep noticed instantly that servers are now empty at 1 am in morning and no one around to mess with or have fun engaging

at least SWG was a large open expereince where finding someone was a real experence

here I expect lots of people to be in "instances"

lol

this is about as bad as one poster creating a thread at like 2AM EST saying all the euro players quit the game because every single server was "light"

better merge all those servers because nobody plays over in EU anymore amiright?

People will leave the game. With the start of the regular work week, I have not had as much time to play as during the holiday season. I would wait and see how it all ends up after another month or so. Then we will know for sure how many left.

This is pretty much the biggest aspect atm. People are getting back into the work swing, back into school, etc. I used to be able to find 150+ in most zones on Empire during off peak (consistently very heavy server/queued); now it's more like 70-80 during off peak.

Yeah people are going back to work , and life to deal with but to be quite honest I haven't seen a whole big drop of people on my server. I can't speak for all the other servers but Since ive been playing a week ago. The population hasn't changed much. People are enjoying the game alot.

Even if it has to do with Christmas being over, they still need to address it and merge servers to accommodate the change in player behaviour. Though obviously there will be like a 1 in 3 drop off of subscribers to whoever bought the game within the first month which is to be expected. So either way you look at it, the game needs to have server mergers.

I spread my characters over several servers so I can make sure I can play on one populated at all times. Lots of servers now are so empty that I'm struggling to find groups to do content. They need a way to keep the population up and server mergers is a great way.

they raised the server caps .....DERP!!!!!

might I add that people level at different paces .. some of those people probably have moved on to higher zones as well .. I know that no matter which toon I play I am always competing for quest mobs because people want to "solo" instead of trying to group to accomplish a similar goal ( and peopel want to blame BW for lack of community LOL)

Edited by bboudreaux

You also have to take into heavy consideration the amount of instancing even if the server is max full. It will instance players and can make it look like a ghost town, I do not know how many people per instance they have set but it need to increase. Starting a new jedi out on Tython and leveling to 10 there were 41+ instances, unfortunately I very rarely say anyone else.

Except it hasnt gone downhill, nor is it going to go F2P

There is no actual basis to that theory

While you may want to see it go F2P So you dont have to pay monthly, the F2P Model will hurt this game more than help it, so it will carry on with a subscription fee for Up to 10 years.

Dont like it, then dont pay. The forum could do with less Doomspeakers and Naysayers anyway.

I almost started this exact same thread!

This is actually pretty scary to be honest. The word of mouth is powerful and EA/Biowares are in for a hard lesson it would appear!

/sad

LOL, real life word of mouth is outstanding for this game. Anyone with half a brain trusts their friends and not internet forums.