The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Great game no MMO

Boggwhoppit

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why do you guys even respond to him he cant even construct a sentence and has no valid argument i must be imagining things when i see groups for quests flashpoints and operations othjer players coming and going chat channels buzzing and a trading economy nope not a mmo at all i should have stayed in school maybe i would have learned how to construct a sentence and make constructive feedback Edited by Your_dominus

MMORPG-

It was a flipping huge download... there is tons of open worlds to explore. There are always people around you (save instanced areas) there is an auction house, loot, quests, dungeons, a raid, and way fun pvp. AS WELL AS a compelling (eight actually) stories that make questing more fun and motivating and take out some of that grindy feeling.

that seems to meet all of the criteria for an mmorpg or mmo for the shortened version. PLUS some single player elements that make the game even more fun than a mmo without them.

You said EQ as an example as a better mmo than this... ha.

There is no dispute that this game is similar to wow, because since it got so huge every mmo (save eve and stuff) is similar to it. TOR is no different, it is basically a more feature rich wow with 8 stories included to make questing fun. It implements new features, and except for a few it has pretty much all of the basic elements of wow. and no one calls wow "fake mmo"

THIS GAME IS AN MMO.

But in EVE, are those 42K players able to meet each other, or are they instanced away and unable to interact? I find it very hard to believe that there is only one world supporting 42K players simultaneously.

Eve is 1 of the few MMOs that dont use instancing and yes all 42,000 people can interact with each other if need be at the same time.

Other Eve players will be able to back me up on this.

PVP and fleet battles often have 2000 plus people engaged in fleet battles in the same system.

They use a number of Supercomputers to run the game on.

To quote the Eve Online website

"A unique aspect of EVE is that it is run on one server. In EVE you can find over 25,000 players at any given time interacting in the same persistent universe. Other MMORPGS are played on multiple servers called Shards; these have a limited number of players on each, usually between 500 and 3000. "

Edited by Stobbsy

Yet, you remain on these forums and tell people to be productive while calling them --holes.

Do you guys even know what MMO means?

Massive= 15+ GB

Multiplayer= More than one player

Online=I need an internet connection in order to play this game.

You're also saying that WOW isn't a MMO. Ummm, say wha?

Edited by Trineda
removed quote

Its not me m8 a MMO is a free world to do and live as you wish a game like this takes the mick and you guys fall for it at 35 bucks a pop )

If I want, I can go back to Coruscant and just go all over the place looking for lockboxes, instead of doing missions on Tatooine.

How's that?

Cheers.

I agree. There is nothing that immerses you into your character other than the cinematics. There is little that allows your character to be unique. All the aspects of mmo's, that have nothing to do with combat of any kind, are very minimalistic to non-existent.

do dailies, log off, browse forums

i dont think they know how to code groups staying together after warfronts. they were like f it, release the game. we spent $50 million on voice acting, better collect some cash before we gotta sell our houses in round rock.

cant wait to read disgruntled laid off CSR story of the game failing. you think customer service is bad now? wait till 3/4 of the team gets laid off and their computer terminals created a graveyard in BW office.

I agree. There is nothing that immerses you into your character other than the cinematics. There is little that allows your character to be unique. All the aspects of mmo's, that have nothing to do with combat of any kind, are very minimalistic to non-existent.

No character in any MMO is unique. We all have the same quests, armor, things to do... do you want unique quests just for yourself?

I would say that this is not a mmo because it is designed like a single player story driven game, It has a beginning a middle and a end, this is how single player games work. This is clearly the design of the game its driven by a single player story the online aspect is clearly just some thing tacked onto the side.

Crappy flash point's and warzone dont make a mmo. What makes a mmo is a game designed to be a mmo from the ground up the thought process behind swotor is that of a single player game that is why the zones are spoon fed to you no reason to go of the beaten track unless you want to "explore" but lets face it nothing is interesting to look at in this game.

I would say that this is not a mmo because it is designed like a single player story driven game, It has a beginning a middle and a end, this is how single player games work. This is clearly the design of the game its driven by a single player story the online aspect is clearly just some thing tacked onto the side.

Crappy flash point's and warzone dont make a mmo. What makes a mmo is a game designed to be a mmo from the ground up the thought process behind swotor is that of a single player game that is why the zones are spoon fed to you no reason to go of the beaten track unless you want to "explore" but lets face it nothing is interesting to look at in this game.

I actually see your point. Maybe it is a single player driven game, but fun nonetheless.

No not really. How many quests can you actually do with someone else? How about of the same class. How inconvenient is it?

Welcome to Warhammer2

You can do every quest except for space combat with other people, even the same class.

So far we know the OP doesn't think this is an MMO, but we don't know what he thinks an MMO is besides: an MMO provides freedom to do whatever he wants, and an MMO allows him to walk up hills and build houses. Maybe we could narrow it down even more.

M - The game is huge. I would even say MASSIVE

M - I am quite certain I have seen other players during my play time. Quite a few other players actually. I would even say there were MULTIPLE players in any given area at any given time.

O - I do believe these other players I saw were from the internet. I would even say they were ONLINE.

RPG - SWTOR is the first MMORPG to actually get the RPG part right. Best RPG I have ever had the opportunity of playing and sharing with my friends at the same time.

Its not me m8 a MMO is a free world to do and live as you wish a game like this takes the mick and you guys fall for it at 35 bucks a pop )

That is complete and utter nonsense....

An MMORPG, is a game where people can play a roleplaying character together in the same world.

What you want is a Sandbox MMO, which has nothing to do with SW:ToR I completely agree there, SW:ToR is a story driven MMORPG, so the story is told by bioware, you can either choose to use it or not, but if you do you have a baseline for who your character is, and what he/she can do. You can choose to ignore that story, but you will probably end up doing it since it's part of the leveling process which exists in every MMO I know of.

People seem to forget the RPG part of games like WoW, Rift, SW:ToR and I could go on.

Sandbox MMO's are free worlds however, where you can do completely as you wish, but this has nothing to do with MMORPG's, sure you can do RPG in a Sandbox MMO, but only if you wish.

MMO's like WoW and many others have come to a point where the only part where you actually could do a little RPG is when you level up, and they do a horrible job at that. SW:ToR tells a story (just like a GM would do in a tabletop game scenario) here you can choose what to do, although sometimes limited to a few choices (this is simply a matter of that it takes time to make).

About your spelling, I don't think it's so much that, as it is you being a complete ignorant of what everyone is trying to tell you, that on top of your spelling makes you an easy prey for those sort of things, also not putting any effort into spelling, for the most part shows that you're not willing to put any effort into anything, in which case you'd be ranting without any sort of proof of anything. What I'm trying to say is, think about how you talk to people, it'll change the way they think and talk to you.

Eve is 1 of the few MMOs that dont use instancing and yes all 42,000 people can interact with each other if need be at the same time.

Other Eve players will be able to back me up on this.

PVP and fleet battles often have 2000 plus people engaged in fleet battles in the same system.

They use a number of Supercomputers to run the game on.

To quote the Eve Online website

"A unique aspect of EVE is that it is run on one server. In EVE you can find over 25,000 players at any given time interacting in the same persistent universe. Other MMORPGS are played on multiple servers called Shards; these have a limited number of players on each, usually between 500 and 3000. "

I think I downloaded EVE once, did some tutorial missions but could not understand it. Maybe I need to give it a second chance.

Serkazong

nope i said to me a MMO is freedom to do what i want as a char, build a house go up a hill .

and not follow storys .

As a Char this is what i want in a MMO and what i have played in a other MMOS .

that is all i said to ME this is not a MMO )

Serkazong

nope i said to me a MMO is freedom to do what i want as a char, build a house go up a hill .

and not follow storys .

As a Char this is what i want in a MMO and what i have played in a other MMOS .

that is all i said to ME this is not a MMO )

See this is exactly what you're getting wrong.

SW:ToR is a MMORPG, in which case it has to tell stories, as that is part of it being a RPG, think of the devs as being game masters, they're telling you a story and you go venture into the world to do that story, this is RPG, the MMO part comes from the world being persistent and that you have other players to play with within that persistent world.

What you want is a simple Sandbox MMO, with other players playing the game, but where you decide what you want to do, rather than having a game master/dev deciding what you should do within the game.

The thing is that people use the term MMO in a way that can lead people like you to misunderstand its meaning. You have clearly proven this exact point.

There is at least one of two main problems here:

1) You rushed to 50 and now there's no one to do stuff with. Your fault, not anyone else's.

2) You expect to have the amount of content that it takes years for MMOs to accumulate, right away at launch. Completely unrealistic expectation... again, your fault, no one else's.

There will be new content. There will be expansions... that's kinda how MMOs work. :rolleyes:

I don't know when or why people started using the abbreviation mmo, it makes no sense. It is either mmorpg or mmog. Mmo means massively multiplayer online, what does that mean?

In the case of Swtor it is clearly a mmorpg and meets every definition and criteria. People please stop using mmo, it does not make sense. It would be like calling AARP just aar.