The game isn't the problem

lueckjathom

You mean aside from glitching mobs, falling through the ground, items disappearing, server rollbacks, ability lag, being stuck in looting, classes with NO talent trees, abilities not even working, graphical tearing.

But hey! It had a combat log!

And yet it became the most popular, successful MMO ever and garnered rave reviews. Hmmm. Odd.

Based on your logic TOR is awful too since it has a ton of bugs as well.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll grant you the combat log point, but no more. The rest is fluff and will come in time, probably very soon with how many people are probably already writing add-on programs now.

Honestly, the game is basically playable. However, there are a few key things that IMO should be standard for a launch in this day.

Customizing the UI:

• Resizing the UI
    More Hot Bars
    Placement of Hot Bars
    Moving all UI components to prefered locations

Chat:

• System Messages in multiple categories for more precise on/off choices

These are just two areas that concern me at this point in the game. These are also things that should be standard IMO. Any other issues I have with the game at this point aren't really included in this individual thread (response delays, too many quest cut-scenes, companion constantly in my way).

All in all, this has been a very smooth launch. I just expected more to be included for a game coming out at this time.

Until those things come, the game will not be competetive in any way and considered a joke in many peoples eyes, end-game wise, since all you do is guess.

I also expected way more to be included for a game being launched just a week before 2012.

No, the developers are the problem.

No target of target

No threat system

No threat meter

No damage meter

No macros

No combat logs

We are not spoiled if we would have these, these are a few of the ingredients to creating a successful MMO.

These things among others are a necessity.

Without key things being in a MMO, launched in 2011 with 6+ years of work put into it, why would people fund it? Makes no sense.

I currently play another game with no threat meter. And it's been out four years. It's not a necessary thing, IMO. As someone else said on another thread, if you are getting hit, your threat with that target is high, or the tank hasn't grabbed aggro off the target.

LOL. You're teasing right? Want a fair comparison? Delete everything not "Blizzard_" from the add-ons folder then spend 8 hours in Dragon Soul with your closest friends. Just give spectators enough time to dawn their Cool Rays to prevent permanent eye damage from the explosion.

Take this ******** to battle.net forums.

Funny, I played WoW for years and never used a single add-on with my account. By the time they started adding them as official in-game features and designing encounters around them, I was already gone.

Before that, I played a metric ton of MMOs to find ones that I liked, dating all the way back to EQ1. All them them with no Meters, quest helpers, and so forth.

SWTOR doesn't have all those add-ons as official features, and I am playing just fine. Matter of fact, same type of fine I've played in WoW without them, EQ2, CoH, DCUO, SWG, and many others.

Awwwww, SWTOR doesn't play the game for you like WoW does. So sad, too bad.

Edited by Jumajin

LOL. You're teasing right? Want a fair comparison? Delete everything not "Blizzard_" from the add-ons folder then spend 8 hours in Dragon Soul with your closest friends. I'll bet it explodes before Morchok ever drops ...

That's the thing, isn't it? WoW to this day doesn't have most of the things on that list. It's all player made and maintained fluff.

I know my rotation for this current spec, why? Because of theorycrafting with numbers. Do I know if it's actually good or if there are any better? No, but I went with this one, and now I know it. There's no way to tell if its good or bad, I'll just have to guess, that seems you be your mantra.

Or maybe you could go to that cool place called "Class Forums" and get some feedback. You know, part of the MM in MMO

There's a reason EQ and all the other MMOs died, just saying. Just because EQ didn't have these, does that mean you don't need them? No.

EQ died? They better take down their sites them.

You seem to forget that EQ is very very old aswell, we live in 2012 now, you seem to live in 99.

If I'm in 1999, how's your first day of going to daycare?

It wasn't. This was, objectively, the most successful launch in mmo history.

Whether it will be a success long term remains to be seen.

I highly think your being objective. The original OP was about how we are spoiled from WoW's engine which had 7 years to work on. Rift's engine from release had a better UI, combat log, macros, and such forth. I think it is you whom are nonobjective sir.

i dunno, i remember wow's combat/gameplay being way more fun at launch than this game's

gameplay is what keeps people playing them for 10+ years

counter-strike

warcraft

starcraft

halo 2

wow's budget 40 to 60mil?

swtor 100 to ??300??

I remember it being a boring EQ1 knock off, and I didn't last more than two weeks in the game at release. Plus, the community was such crap.

Or maybe you could go to that cool place called "Class Forums" and get some feedback. You know, part of the MM in MMO

EQ died? They better take down their sites them.

If I'm in 1999, how's your first day of going to daycare?

I could go to the class forum, yes, but it's just guessing since there is no way of measuring what is good or not, just numbers.

Until those things come, the game will not be competetive in any way and considered a joke in many peoples eyes, end-game wise, since all you do is guess.

I also expected way more to be included for a game being launched just a week before 2012.

And having DBM tell me when to move, when he casts his powerful shot/hit, tell me when adds spawn.

That is a joke. L2P a game without support.

That's the thing, isn't it? WoW to this day doesn't have most of the things on that list. It's all player made and maintained fluff.

That's the idea. They open the game up to the community so that they could design the addons they wanted. On the Forums, there is a specific forum just for Macros and Addons. The Addon community is almost a separate 'game' there. People like to make them.

No, the developers are the problem.

No target of target

No threat system

No threat meter

No damage meter

No macros

No combat logs

We are not spoiled if we would have these, these are a few of the ingredients to creating a successful MMO.

These things among others are a necessity.

Without key things being in a MMO, launched in 2011 with 6+ years of work put into it, why would people fund it? Makes no sense.

i cant think of one mmo ever had these at release... in fact are some that still don't... like he said... WoW has spoiled some people... and actually not even WoW really but addons.

And what have you done exactly? A flashpoint and some warzones?

Some? Ive done 6 flashpoints

I am lvl 33 in valor.

We are setting up a raid later this week.

Just because you need 'addons' to help you because you lack the skill doesnt mean its a joke.

The game mechanics of SWTOR in PVE is based on Aggro. There is a hidden screen percentage of the tanks aggro. It would be nice to have any type of threat meter. Any healer should understand the difficulty of raid wide healing due to no threat meter. Also the target of target would be nice feature. They don't have to mimic WOW to create good pve gameplay.

LOL. You're teasing right? Want a fair comparison? Delete everything not "Blizzard_" from the add-ons folder then spend 8 hours in Dragon Soul with your closest friends. Just give spectators enough time to dawn their Cool Rays to prevent permanent eye damage from the explosion.
Take this ******** to battle.net forums.
My sincerest apologies if I hit a nerve. Was my post off-topic? Edited by GalacticKegger

I highly think your being objective. The original OP was about how we are spoiled from WoW's engine which had 7 years to work on. Rift's engine from release had a better UI, combat log, macros, and such forth. I think it is you whom are nonobjective sir.

I will agree that Rift had a pretty good engine from the get-go. I think they traded off good content to make it happen though. A company only has so many resources to invest into a game before release. Trion put a lot of those resources into the game engine and UI and developing a unique and innovative class system. Unfortunately, the content suffered as a result and they had an incredibly small and lackluster game world.

Some? Ive done 6 flashpoints

I am lvl 33 in valor.

We are setting up a raid later this week.

Just because you need 'addons' to help you because you lack the skill doesnt mean its a joke.

Hardmode? Easy. Perhaps you've seen the flaws of nothing having what I was talking about aswell.

Enjoy your ops being easier than hardmode flashpoints that randomly distributes loot to players in the raid.

Level 33 in valor is nothing.

What does DBM has to do with threat meter, target of target or macros? :S

Part of what you need to "raid"

You obviously have no skill because you have to use threat meter, macros, dbm etc.

l2p the game and stop having to rely on addons to be good.

Hardmode? Easy. Perhaps you've seen the flaws of nothing having what I was talking about aswell.

Enjoy your ops being easier than hardmode flashpoints that randomly distributes loot to players in the raid.

Level 33 in valor is nothing.

Do you know first hand? With all this talk about you needing addons it seems like you cant play without.