Why the prequels are awesome (and important)

Genitor

Many people hate on the prequels and say that they are an abomination that should have never happened.

But almost everything we know about the jedi are from the prequels (aside from the books)

If all you go by is the original, then all you know about the jedi is obi-wan who is an old man, and yoda who has a very minimal (but important) presence in the trilogy.

The prequels showed us the jedi council, all the different types of jedi and they're roles and how they live. It expanded the lore greatly.

It seems that so many people embrace all the nuances and foundations that the prequels gave us about star wars yet those people claim to hate the prequels. It doesn't make sense. Yes, there was an annoying little anakin, and a kind of annoying older anakin, and yes there were gungans, but even though the prequels held some embarassing moments, it left us with an general understanding of star wars that we cherish.

Much of the swtor is more based off swtor than the original trilogy to be honest. Politics of the jedi council, and the sith uprising, these are all concepts stemmed from the prequels. And there is a lot more.

I think people just think gungans and pod racers when they think of the prequels and forget about all the great moments those movies gave despite the not so great.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Search for Mr Plinkett at Red Letter, he'll tell you why they are terrible. And it's got nothing to do with Jar Jar, the films are just badly written, badly put together and completely rip apart the 'lore' of the OT.

Personally, the prequels do not exist for me. They are about as SW as The Clone Wars, with 'Sky guy'! :mad:

Red letter media, nuff said.

The whole prequel saga is pointless. It tells the story of a bunch of characters without giving us reasons for us to be attached to them at all. You can say what you will about what it does for Star Wars in general (although, here, I still think it just pretty much ****s over the lore of the original trilogy) but the main point is that the movies are shut ******.

Dialogue is crap: "Love wont save you padme... only my new powers will!"

characters are uninteresting: a bunch of homogenous Jedi and a whiney brat?

story is pointless, unengaging and needlessly complicated: What was the phantom menace about? Why the blockade?

Lightsaber fights look like choreographed dance moves. Sure, it looks good, but at times it's just painfully obvious that they are just waving around sticks and not intending to kill each other. You can literally see that pretty much every single slash, hit and lunge isn't meant to kill, only strike the other lightsaber to make it look better. Luke vs Vader was far more intense than any other ligthsaber battle.

Also, they make the jedi seem trivial. They die by droves and everyone and their mother has a lightsaber. There is a reason why the idea of stormtroopers having ligthsabers was discarded; It makes the whole thing seems trivial.

The only thing the prequels offered anybody was that it showed Emperor Palpatine being lawfully elected. And that the Republic was nothing more than terrorists going after the lawfully elected government.

Everything else was bull dung. Just goes to show you how much his wife had on the OT.

Lightsaber fights look like choreographed dance moves. Sure, it looks good, but at times it's just painfully obvious that they are just waving around sticks and not intending to kill each other. You can literally see that pretty much every single slash, hit and lunge isn't meant to kill, only strike the other lightsaber to make it look better. Luke vs Vader was far more intense than any other ligthsaber battle.

This point makes me curious; How many sword fights have you witnessed outside the medium of film or sport fencing?

Edited by Hiddenronin

The books and star wars games have done more for star wars lore than the prequels ever did. The prequels are badly written shallow michael bay type disasters that don't even feel like star wars. Anyone that can possibly defend the prequels needs to rethink their tastes.

Many people hate on the prequels and say that they are an abomination that should have never happened.

But almost everything we know about the jedi are from the prequels (aside from the books)

If all you go by is the original, then all you know about the jedi is obi-wan who is an old man, and yoda who has a very minimal (but important) presence in the trilogy.

The prequels showed us the jedi council, all the different types of jedi and they're roles and how they live. It expanded the lore greatly.

It seems that so many people embrace all the nuances and foundations that the prequels gave us about star wars yet those people claim to hate the prequels. It doesn't make sense. Yes, there was an annoying little anakin, and a kind of annoying older anakin, and yes there were gungans, but even though the prequels held some embarassing moments, it left us with an general understanding of star wars that we cherish.

Much of the swtor is more based off swtor than the original trilogy to be honest. Politics of the jedi council, and the sith uprising, these are all concepts stemmed from the prequels. And there is a lot more.

I think people just think gungans and pod racers when they think of the prequels and forget about all the great moments those movies gave despite the not so great.

except all the jedi stuff from the movies is complete crap.

It's the prequels that made the Jedi more unlikable. It's very hard to relate to a character if he is not allowed emotional attachments.

You may charish what we learned about Jedi but I guarantee the majority of people who like star wars don't.

For example Jedi Robes. In the Original Trilogy what Obi Wan was wearing WAS NOT jedi robes. They were the robes that farmers and the such wore on Tatoinee.

It wasn't until the prequels where lucas decided all Jedi would wear those and they would be called Jedi robes.

Which then begs the question why if Obi Wan is hiding would he still dress like a Jedi? Or why would Uncle Owen dress like a jedi?

When Luke becomes a jedi he doesn't wear them.

Another thing the prequels ruined about the Jedi.

Lukes Lightsaber training on the Millenium Falcon. Originally it seemed like an improvised training that Obi Wan made up. But then we learn that its an actual training for Jedi.

Why Does Han Solo have a Jedi Training droid on his ship?

You say it explained the lore I say it ruined the lore and the mystique of it all.

They were a complete departure from what Star Wars was back in the 70's. They were not the originals and they shouldn't have been. But they embarrassed the name of Star Wars. Just like the last Indiana Jones, it was just a freaking pay day for George Lucas.

This point makes me curious; How many sword fights have you witnessed outside the medium of film or sport fencing?

if I wasn't at work I would link the youtube video. But i Can't so you have to look it up yourself.

Type in Die another Day Fencing scene That is what a GOOD chorographed sword fight should be.

It has great action and it FEELS like it is real. they even have a version where they edited in lightsabers so you could see just how amazing it is.

Granted, not many. A friend of mine practices some type of historical longsword fighting deal (dont remember if it was italian, or german) and it looks nothing like it does in most movies.

Obviously you would have to take into account the fact that armor is involved, and that longswords were, a lot of the time used in two hands, with one mailed gauntlet actually holding the sword blade to penetrate armor, yet it doesn't change the fact that the lightsaber fighting seen in the prequels is inneffective at best.

There are several times where obi could have struck down Maul for instance, but instead chose to twirl his lightsaber around. I realise most of this is just to make it look good and flashy, but there are plenty of good swordfights out there that are far more realistic.

The one in die another day for instance, as someone mentioned here. The one with (ironically) Liam Neeson in Rob Roy is also a favorite of mine, and when it comes to Star Wars, nothing beats Vader vs Luke in their last fight, in sheer intensity.

Again, this is just my opinion. I enjoyed seeing some more, and varied ligthsaber fighting, but it could have been executed without feeling like a choreographed dance routine.

You say it explained the lore I say it ruined the lore and the mystique of it all.

It's Obi Wan's not Hans. Nowhere in the movie does it say it was on his ship..it came with the toy as that's where you see it..but it is a training remote that belonged to Obi Wan.

I actually like the prequels, but they didn't make the jedi better for me. At all.

In the OT, I saw the Jedi as a mix between Buddhist monks and Japanese Samurai. After the prequels, the Jedi were just a giant bureaucratic religion in which the dogma and rules was more important than the actual force they served.

The prequels were OK, but they were hampered by:

1) No tension - You already knew Anakin, Yoda, Obi-Wan, & Palpatine were making it out alive and just about none of the remaining main characters of the prequels were. Even more so, any SW fan knew the general outlines of how it was going to happen. So really it was all just visuals to us anyway.

2) The Jedi lost their mystique. But then, that's not nearly a problem. You can't go to a time when there were many Jedi and have anything but happen. In the OT, every single force user is a pivotal character to the series. In the prequels, many Jedi were nothing more than extras. Takes a lot away.

3) Our expectations got in the way. Why is little boy Anakin such an affront to many? Well, because that's not really what we expected. Personally, from the description in Ep. 4 I expected Anakin to be about 17-22 when Obi-Wan trained him. Having him at ten was jarring.

4) It contradicted the lore. Sure you have the whole "the truth is dependent upon our own point of view", but they plainly retconned some things in the OT.

They were decent movies, great effects and introduced a new generation of people to Star Wars. Also made a lot of money doing it, so hats off to them.

This seems to be one of those "well back in my day everything was better" type discussions. (no im not that young)

Everyone picks apart the prequels, but the originals had many a ****** spots in them as well. Its the idea of the movie that is interesting, with all the races, creatures, religions etc. Its space war.... 2 things that make a great movie.

I do agree that the love story was way to dragged out, but I like killing and fighting... maybe some people enjoyed it.

As for Jar -Jar, there are a lot of dumb people in the world A LOT! need some dumb characters too. Although rightfully he should have been killed.

BTW.. it's a movie, take it for what its worth. Cheap entertainment.... dont put it under a microscope and pick it apart.

Edited by BigWhity

I liked the prequels, except from the little platform games they portrayed. The most interesting thing was the colosseum fight. It portrayed the jedi as not intelligent, but maybe that was the point to show that the order had not seen real conflict in ages. I am still puzzled by that scene, but in my opinion it perfectly fits the lore, but I'm not sure why.

My question is, the people that cherish the OT so much, how old were you when you first watch them? My opinion on the whole OT vs prequels is that all six movies basically have the same amount of corniness, poor writing and dialogue, and stiffed acting. The one thing that seperates them is that the story of the OT is a lot much simpler and there was a flow to it. GL was trying to accomplish to much in the prequels that he made it to difficult to explain, created more plot holes, lessen what was learned in the OT, or the explanation was given was pretty much asenine. Hell if it wasnt for ESB, there is barely a difference between the two trilogies.

All of the movies had bad writing.

Look at some of the lines in the OT.. horrid. "Look sir, droids!" (combined with horrible acting of the guy twirling around a cog) I still prefer the OT, but I like the PT as well.

Edited by bfishback

Personally as a huge fan of the OT, i like the PT.

People whine about gungans, but did they forget about the Ewoks? Just as ridiculous/annoying.

People whine about Podracing, but why? It was damn awesome.

People whine about the PT script, but forget that the OT script was just as bad if not worse.

The only hate i feel is justified is the hate against the whole love story between Anakin and Padme. It just didnt feel right, and was way too mushy.

It's Obi Wan's not Hans. Nowhere in the movie does it say it was on his ship..it came with the toy as that's where you see it..but it is a training remote that belonged to Obi Wan.

Where did he have it stashed then? He was pretty much empty handed when they went to hire Han Solo as a pilot. It's not like he could have stashed the training droid in a pocket or under his robes. It was too big for that. It was certainly on Han's ship beforehand. It had to be. Nothing else makes any logical sense. Han also clearly did not believe in the force, calling it a "hokey religion", so why on earth would he keep a jedi training droid in his stash?

Where did he have it stashed then? He was pretty much empty handed when they went to hire Han Solo as a pilot. It's not like he could have stashed the training droid in a pocket or under his robes. It was too big for that. It was certainly on Han's ship beforehand. It had to be. Nothing else makes any logical sense. Han also clearly did not believe in the force, calling it a "hokey religion", so why on earth would he keep a jedi training droid in his stash?

When did anything in a movie had to make sense? Espically considering movies like this one.